• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Wiiball

Cosmozone

A little off-topic perhaps, but I just watched the Super Monkey Ball Adventure trailer and I think it's great! I can't believe I missed out on this franchise until now. Guess I'm gonna get the new Cube game AND Banana Blitz. Another recent game with awesome music (the other is Okami), makes me very happy. Graphics are good, too, definitely looking forward to own SMB games now.

You can visit gonintendo.com for viewing the scans, BTW.

Amir0x

Banned
Peru said:
I didn't say I was upset by your loose handling of crass expressions. But it does create just that. You also find it amusing and fitting to use words like 'trash'. Is a dated game TRASH because it's not current-gen? Last-gen - trash? You've painted yourself into a corner here, my friend, because you stand still on a stance where visuals will never be good enough unless they've made use of the latest technological advances. Is this also the case with classic 2D titles? Is it the case with Tetris? If gameplay defines a visual sheet and the implementation is succesfully executed then I'll be damned if that is any uglier now than then.

It depends on what is 'dated'. I have already made myself clear on the opinion of NES/Sega Master System games - I think most of them are terrible, both gameplay wise and visuals. It was fine at the time due to technological limitations and no viable alternatives, but we're past that. So in terms of 'classic 2D titles', I don't think most are so classic at all. There are exceptions, of course, such as Tetris, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc... but in any event, this is getting off topic. I'm not going to debate the merits of the graphics of each successive generation, except that there has never been a time yet when I have thought a previous gens graphics were acceptable when I have moved on to the latest and greatest. So then gameplay must hold it up.

Which it's entirely possible all these Wii games will. Monkeyball is great, was my first Gamecube game. So I have no doubt it'll still manage to be fun.

Peru

You find the Mother 3 visuals perfect, however dated they are, even appearing when a newer Nintendo hanheld is established on the market, capable of stronger 2D.
Ok, I'll stop, since this really is off-topic, but it's still a pretty interesting topic.

Amir0x

Banned
Peru said:
You find the Mother 3 visuals perfect, however dated they are, even appearing when a newer Nintendo hanheld is established on the market, capable of stronger 2D.
Ok, I'll stop, since this really is off-topic, but it's still a pretty interesting topic.

Because I'm a right hypocrite when it comes to my Mother franchise. But, sure, "2D" is quite an interesting subject. I mean, you could probably have a thousand hi-res sprites on PS3 or something and it still wouldn't be taxing the system. For Mother 3, the style is definitely deliberate to emulate Mother 2 and not being held back by technology.

As an aside, I don't think a parallel can be drawn for Monkeyball, the Monkey renders and landscapes that acompany the game (on the cover, for instance) is much higher quality than what is in the actual game.

Amir0x

Banned
Peru said:
But arguably uglier.

what, monkey renders or Mother 3 v. Mother 2?

I'll answer both (Monkey renders v. actual Monkeys in game - No, renders look much better. Mother 3 v. Mother 2 - hell no, Mother 3 makes its true difference in animation.)

Peru

As for Mother 3, I agree.
But I meant SMB.

Super%20Monkey%20Ball%20(PAL).jpg

Looks pretty cheap and without any...charm, to me. To each his own, as they say.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Firstly getting upset over SMB3 based on 3 small grainy screenshots that don't even show the main stages is a bit premature.

Secondly it's an AV game, and like the 2 previous titles it will be technically competent. And Nagoshi has said there'll will be improvements to the engine that we will like. SMB1 and 2 are not like daggers to my eyes even now, so I really doubt SMB3 will puncture my retinas.

Thirdly, it's a gameplay driven title, an old-school totally skill-based game. That's what made it stand out in the first place on Gamecube. Not it's graphics. After 3 years we finally get the third game with a control method that Nagoshi said 'could have been designed for Monkey Ball'. This is far more exciting than anything else they could have done with the game, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
sonic4ever said:
wow..that was GBA. I am impressed. who programed the game?

Yeah, I thought it was the most technically impressive game on it actually. Think it was a British developer?

It was a bit buggered up on some levels by the d-pad controls, but it's was amazing what they'd managed to get out of the GBA.

Zweisy1

And Monkey Ball isn't known for its graphics.

SMB1 & 2 actually had beautiful visuals and a solid engine..

Anyways, A true Monkey Ball sequel is always great news. Hopefully the level design is up to the quality of the first one and not like the slightly disappointing sequel.

SyNapSe

Cosmozone said:
A little off-topic perhaps, but I just watched the Super Monkey Ball Adventure trailer and I think it's great! I can't believe I missed out on this franchise until now. Guess I'm gonna get the new Cube game AND Banana Blitz.

Since I'm assuming you don't have a cube by your post pick up SMB Deluxe for your PS2/Xboxen and get started now! SUPPORT THE MONKIES!

I just read through the thread to catch up from my post this morning. I still have no problem personally with the graphics.. they are fine for a simple party game. I just read in another thread about a Whack-A-Mole party game for use with wiimote and thought it was a hilarious idea. Then I came back here and read the IGN quote about no Online mode.

WHAT THE SWEET FUCK!? How the hell can you drop online support for a game like this!@? It's not like they spent tons creating a new engine and improving graphics. :| cheapass fucking sega

Cosmozone

SyNapSe said:
Since I'm assuming you don't have a cube by your post pick up SMB Deluxe for your PS2/Xboxen and get started now! SUPPORT THE MONKIES!
I have a Cube but I guess I'll go with the newer games only. My backlog is big enough. But SMB2 for GC is quite cheap now, hmmm. :)

LOcKY

it wouldnt be sega if they didnt do stupid decisions like no online play... *sign* but i have every confident they will make a nice LAN setup for multiplayer....

dont do a F-Zero GX on us Sega... you know we wanted multiplayer LAN or even a online mode... why?!!?! WHY MUST SEGA HATES US!!!??

After 3 years we finally get the third game with a control method that Nagoshi said 'could have been designed for Monkey Ball'. This is far more exciting than anything else they could have done with the game, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what they've done.

But the game must be ugly :(
Seriously, a wise post, well written sir

Top Bottom