• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Monkey Wiiball

joshschw

scan00047vx.jpg

GhaleonEB

What was up with the "blue orbs" talk a few pages back? All the images are dead (except for the Monkey Ball one above).

Waimea

Twilight Rockstar said:
To all the people moaning about the graphics. . . most third-parties are still working with Dolphin dev kits. It's about spending time making sure the controller works and offers something truly great.
The only stuff that will be truly representative of the hardware at this early stage is Nintendo's own offerings. Don't forget we're still six months from launch.

Dude, seriously, have you played any EAD Wii titles? Will we be happy? Was the most impressive Wii game you've seen Eastern or Western developed?

We can always hope for an answer... :D :D

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I find it a little interesting that you'd never know this game was on a non-standard controller.

Nintendo's going to need to show people using the Wiimote to drill home the fact that these games play differantly. Screenshots aren't getting that point across.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Monkey Ball Adventure has hardly any minigames, I doubt very much any of them would be a baseball game or a UFO Pilotwings thing.

Monkey Ball 3 though has more minigames than any of the previous ones, and seeing as baseball was in 2 i think it's safe to assume this is number 3.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Looking at that blurry, grainy scan, it's way too premature to be making any assumptions. I'll just remain patient for more previews to come along my way.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
The original AV team including Nagoshi are making it
New control method to learn
Even more minigames than the earlier games

and:

NO STORY MODE!

It will be great :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Hmmm... seing that hovercraft shot lets us know that AV is going to really go all out with experimental control methods. This has the potential to really show off the gameplay possibilities of teh WiiMote.

8bit

Knows the Score
Nash said:
Monkey Ball Adventure has hardly any minigames, I doubt very much any of them would be a baseball game or a UFO Pilotwings thing.

Monkey Ball 3 though has more minigames than any of the previous ones, and seeing as baseball was in 2 i think it's safe to assume this is number 3.

MBA has 6 minigames; 3 old, 3 new(Castle, Bounce & Tag).

I've played a demo for about 5 minutes, but it's not that engaging. The camera is backwards from my usual preference and not redefinable, the music sucks and when speaking to the monkeys the gibberish is really annoying and unskippable.

Amir0x

Banned
If these scans aren't from Monkey Ball Adventure, and are from Wii Monkey Blitz, it's basically a mirror of the Gamecube monkeyball graphics. It makes sense considering their comments on the engine... but, once again, ugly.

If it's PS2 adventure game, *yawn* and ugly.

NintendosBooger said:
Jesus.

Why does Sega have to fuck up every good idea that hits them? SMB 1 was a CLASSIC. All they have to do is recreate SMB 1 with more levels, improved next-gen graphics, and Wii functionality....THAT'S IT. What's all this baseball, space vehicle nonsense???

the spaceship and Baseball are probaly mini games.

Man GAF has high expectations.

If this is a Wii game, cool, but it's a MONKEY BALL GAME. And it's already been said it's running off of the previous game's engine. You think Monkey Ball will showcase its power? It won't. Say hello to Metroid Prime 3.

SpiffyG

BrandNew said:
Man GAF has high expectations.

If this is a Wii game, cool, but it's a MONKEY BALL GAME. And it's already been said it's running off of the previous game's engine. You think Monkey Ball will showcase its power? It won't. Say hello to Metroid Prime 3.
And Monkey Ball isn't known for its graphics.

Rocked

Francois the Great said:
since when were the gamecube super monkey ball games ugly?

There's absolutely nothing ugly about either of the GameCube SMB games or even the arcade original. But according to some people all of a sudden every game from the last generation is magically ugly. :lol A lot of 360 games must be pretty hideous to them too considering many don't look much better than last gen.

Wow, Amri0x must be truly disgusted and nauseous if he dares play a game from the generation before that.
eek.gif

Peru

I'm not sure if I get you amirox. You seem to be a level-headed guy, your posts show a pretty nuanced view at the next-gen race: You see the potential in the Wii and think it can kick ass but you're also worried about some aspects, as should be, as there are many obstacles laid down before (and some by) Nintendo. HOWEVER, I don't see this insisting on calling all games not power-hungry enough _ugly_ very constructive. You've done it several times. I don't know if these screens are ps2 or wii, because frankly they're just a blurry mess of a scan revealing nought but the basic outline of a scene. What we know, however, is that the SMB universe is a colorful universe that has looked fantastic and well-suited on current-gen platforms. The SMB games are NOT ones you'd go "damn these levels and this gameplay would gain so much from a severe graphical upgrade". They've basically looked as good as they get in that universe. How would this be considered ugly on any system just because we've moved to the next generation?
(This is not a debate over the priorities by Nintendo, just general game aesthetics.)

Rocked

I could understand it more if it was the leap from PSX/N64 to Dreamcast or something, but to say a cartoony puzzle game like Monkey Ball with a perfect framerate, sharp textures, nice backgrounds and a very good art direction is ugly just confuses me.

Amir0x

Banned
Francois the Great said:
since when were the gamecube super monkey ball games ugly?

Since we moved on to next-gen, buhbuh. Fine for this gen, shitty shit disgusting for next-gen. Catchin' on, I hope.

Peru said:
I don't know if these screens are ps2 or wii, because frankly they're just a blurry mess of a scan revealing nought but the basic outline of a scene. What we know, however, is that the SMB universe is a colorful universe that has looked fantastic and well-suited on current-gen platforms. The SMB games are NOT ones you'd go "damn these levels and this gameplay would gain so much from a severe graphical upgrade". They've basically looked as good as they get in that universe. How would this be considered ugly on any system just because we've moved to the next generation?

It goes back to general misconception #1: "Unrealistic" or "Cartooney" graphics cannot benefit much from next-gen power, or benefit less."

This is bullshit. We are not even remotely close, in the same galaxy, universe, dimension as where we can be for non-realistic games, as well as realistic games. I am not going to settle for "Gamecube" graphics because it was acceptable at one time. It's ho-hum, ugly, and it's not next-gen. Not that it won't still be fun, 'cause if it is I'll just deal with it.

Peru

I think visual success should be judged by looking at concept art versus real graphics. In Monkey Ball's case it's probably a tight match, and thus a fit. It's simple, it's clean, it's not ugly.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Amir0x said:
Since we moved on to next-gen, buhbuh. Fine for this gen, shitty shit disgusting for next-gen. Catchin' on, I hope.

It goes back to general misconception #1: "Unrealistic" or "Cartooney" graphics cannot benefit much from next-gen power, or benefit less."

This is bullshit. We are not even remotely close, in the same galaxy, universe, dimension as where we can be for non-realistic games, as well as realistic games. I am not going to settle for "Gamecube" graphics because it was acceptable at one time. It's ho-hum, ugly, and it's not next-gen. Not that it won't still be fun, 'cause if it is I'll just deal with it.

dramaqueen.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Peru said:
I think visual success should be judged by looking at concept art versus real graphics. In Monkey Ball's case it's probably a tight match, and thus a fit. It's simple, it's clean, it's not ugly.

Oh, it's simple alright.

Nash: I mean if that makes you feel better, but uh stating the facts is not very drama queenish. If ugly last-gen garbage like that is where you settle, that's fine. I ain't judging you man.

What the hell, what do you WANT Monkey Ball to look like for next gen? Fucking bump mapped stages and shit? Whatever magic they work nowadays, bloom lighting?

Rocked

Search: Key Word(s): ugly ; Posts Made By: Amir0x ; Forum: Gaming Discussion and child forums

Showing results 1 to 50 of 129

:lol Get over it. We know you consider all last generation games ugly now.

Amir0x

Banned
BrandNew said:
What the hell, what do you WANT Monkey Ball to look like for next gen? Fucking bump mapped stages and shit? Whatever magic they work nowadays, bloom lighting?

Misconception #2: Next-gen graphics are about BLOOM LIGHTING, BUMP MAPPING, and REALISM.

Response: No, I want it to look much better within its chosen style. Which it can be, since we are not even remotely close to where these 'cartooney' styles can be.

Rocked said:
Get over it.

There's nothing to 'get over', I've already dealt with it. But just like you and others comment on how you feel it's simple and clean, I will comment on how there's a long road to go. No one side is gonna be silenced 'cause poor Rocked and Nash don't like to hear negatives. And when I pay 200 dollars for a "next-gen system" I'm not paying to pay last-gen trash.

Peru

Just stop using the word ugly in cases like this.. They're REALIZED graphics, of course they can be improved but they are REALIZED. They have not aimed for something and then been limited by hardware, showing flaws because of it. Calling it ugly, whatever your definition behind your expressions are, is silly and seems like a quick attempt at creating drama and upset.

Amir0x

Banned
Peru said:
Just stop using the word ugly in cases like this.. They're REALIZED graphics, of course they can be improved but they are REALIZED. They have not aimed for something and then been limited by hardware, showing flaws because of it. Calling it ugly, whatever your definition behind your expressions are, is silly and seems like a quick attempt at creating drama and upset.

Dude, I will call it ugly 'cause that's what it is. When it ceases to be that, I will call it something else. If you are getting 'upset' or thinking it's causing 'drama', that's your issue man. I am not going around saying 'stop using the word pretty, 'cause it's NOT.'

Foil

Peru said:

lol....ok

Amir0x said:
Misconception #2: Next-gen graphics are about BLOOM LIGHTING, BUMP MAPPING, and REALISM.

Response: No, I want it to look much better within its chosen style. Which it can be, since we are not even remotely close to where these 'cartooney' styles can be.

There's nothing to 'get over', I've already dealt with it. But just like you and others comment on how you feel it's simple and clean, I will comment on how there's a long road to go and when I pay 200 dollars for a "next-gen system" I'm not paying to pay last-gen trash.

I feel the exact same way.

Peru

I didn't say I was upset by your loose handling of crass expressions. But it does create just that. You also find it amusing and fitting to use words like 'trash'. Is a dated game TRASH because it's not current-gen? Last-gen - trash? You've painted yourself into a corner here, my friend, because you stand still on a stance where visuals will never be good enough unless they've made use of the latest technological advances. Is this also the case with classic 2D titles? Is it the case with Tetris? If gameplay defines a visual sheet and the implementation is succesfully executed then I'll be damned if that is any uglier now than then.

Top Bottom