• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony E3 2006 Conference Thread (start at reply ~#1300)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
gofreak said:
Bladestorm is a launch title..?

edit - ..and looking at the trailer, yes, it is. Excellent news :) I hope they show off more of it at their booth.

Where did you see this information?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sony have lost their way. No ideas of their own.
See, that's what I feel doesn't matter.

Sony has always basically copied ideas for their hardware...but the hardware is only an entry point for the games. The hardware is the most powerful and offers a wide variety of features. It's whether the developers can deliver as they did on PS2 that matters.

Everything seems very negative right now, but I think it will change. MS had a terrible showing last year and their system seemed like a joke...but it's anything but that now.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
No way am I gonna look down at my PS3 years from now thinking about how I dropped $600 on it. Fuck that.

Gio_CoD

Banned
Sony really is embarassing themselves at this point. I think yesterday sealed the deal for Microsoft and Nintendo. I think Microsoft is going to own the North American and European markets, and I think Nintendo is going to own the Japanese market.

I always used to laugh when I saw people call it the PS3DO, but now it's the most fitting name I've ever seen.

I still can't believe how blatantly they stole Nintendo's controller idea.

Haleon said:
Sony really is embarassing themselves at this point. I think yesterday sealed the deal for Microsoft and Nintendo. I think Microsoft is going to own the North American and European markets, and I think Nintendo is going to own the Japanese market.

You got all this from a 2 hour conference? Wow. Are you using the same crystal ball that guy from the 1up podcast was using to predict that all of the PS3's launch titles are garbage?

:p

Ponn

Banned
To those that are still going to pre-order one, which one are you getting, why that one, and what launch games (tentative) are you thinking of getting?

Getting the $599 version just because I hate getting anything thats gimped in any way. I wish Sony would have showed off the multimedia and streaming stuff at the confrence and more on the online and marketplace to see if the 60 GB HDD is worth it but hopefully we might still yet hear something on that this week. Want the WiFi because i'm nowhere near the router. And if it does upscale DVD's I want the HDMI besides the better connection.

Tentative Holiday/Launch buying list

PS2- FFXII
PS3 - Marvel Ultimate Alliance
PS3 - Heavenly Sword
PS3 - Lair (possible, I still want to have faith but the lack of real gameplay videos yet is not very reassuring)

hadareud said:
If only the price was the real problem.

I was looking forward to getting a PS3 shortly after launch (probably summer 2007) but yesterday was the day Sony died for me. I will not buy a PS3, never. No matter how many good games are on it. No matter if they are my favourite games.

Yep logic ftw. This machine has my favourite games but I'm not buying it. Have fun with your principles. :)

Gio_CoD

Banned
_leech_ said:
You got all this from a 2 hour conference? Wow. Are you using the same crystal ball that guy from the 1up podcast was using to predict that all of the PS3's launch titles are garbage?

:p
I didn't even need the whole two hours. I got all of this from the price point and the fact that the games don't look any better than 360 games. Sony is betting on Blu-Ray farrrrr too much.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sony shouldn't have announced a price. At least not up front. Had that been the case, we'd all be rejoicing.

Bearillusion said:
Yep logic ftw. This machine has my favourite games but I'm not buying it. Have fun with your principles. :)

Fixed

Konnjuta

Aryuken said:
Yeah. Shane gets kinda scary.
I listened to the podcast as well but didn't catch their names. So who was shane? The guy talking about how "cool" the conferences was or the squeaky-voice kid with a tantrum.

Ben Sones

quetz67 said:
And if Sony really produces superior quality (graphics) they will easily win in the long run.

Just like Microsoft with the first Xbox!

Seriously, some of the denial in this thread is just funny.

dalyr95

If you're worried about having to pay an extra $100 for HDMI, you probably don't have a spare $2000 for a HDTV to watch with your HDMI connection.

I think the Dual SKU idea is a shit one, I'd rather they just used to cost saving of producing one SKU into price cuts.

But at least the HDD is installed in all PS3s and devs can use it to max out their games, plus BluRay x2 is great. I'm not too sure of the specifics, but while it does have a lower read speed than 12x DVD, itn't the read speed constant while DVD varies? If someone could clear that up, that'd be great.

But 2 million units at launch, 4 million PS3s before the end of the year, they will sell and MS lead will cut drastically (what they at the moment 4 million?)

Also, the size thing, does it use a power brick or is it built in?

Ben Sones said:
Just like Microsoft with the first Xbox!

Seriously, some of the denial in this thread is just funny.

The denial and overreaction is bad. Was the conference a disappointment? Without a doubt. Is Sony somehow doomed because of it? Not really.

dalyr95 said:
But 2 million units at launch, 4 million PS3s before the end of the year, they will sell and MS lead will cut drastically (what they at the moment 4 million?)

Uh.. MS target is (I believe) 12 million by year end, and at this price point it doesn't look unlikely (to me). In that case even if Sony sells 4m PS3s by year end, MS still has an 8m lead.. That, and at 600$ good luck to Sony selling anymore while MS keeps releasing things like Halo 3 and Too Human..

Okay...I've a good question to think about for the upcoming worldwide launch of the PS3: Considering that one of the hardware SKUs is actually locked off permanently for some functions, how do you think Sony will go with the ratios of production and shipments for the time period up until summer '07? I mean, it's going to hard as hell getting one for the first six months...so how would it feel to have to 'settle' for the cripple pack, knowing that you wouldn't be able to upgrade later?

Marlowe

dalyr95 said:
MS hasn't made any of their 360 targets, that target could be the same

Yeah, and it's a bit optimistic to think that Sony will deliver exactly what they promise in terms of launch quantities.

Rocked

What happened to Warhawk's graphics by the way? :lol

ss_preview_Warhawk_03.jpg

Even if that is CGI, it was a bit misleading considering what we got:

ss_preview_WH_ScreenShot_29.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
dalyr95 said:
explains the size and weight, damn I won't be able to fry my eggs on the power brick

good point. Wonder how heavy and how many CCs the X360 is if you include the power brick?

bengraven

People will be talking about on the floor all E3. They'll be in Sony's face. I can foresee it. Sony will try to add just one more thing to make it worth our whiles just to calm us down.

My foresight tells me they will add pandas to the $600 Trust Fund pack. SOLD!

Rocked

Oh, and...

Edge - Some believe that Nintendo is risking cannibalising its existing GBA audience. What do you think?

Harrison - I think that you'd have to ask Nintendo that question and try to understand why they appear to have made such a knee-jerk reaction.

Edge - You think Nintendo DS is a knee-jerk reaction to the PSP?

Harrison - I'm convinced of it

Oh the irony.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Maximilian E. said:
What happened with the megaton announcement at the end of the show.. the "WoW" announcement...

???
Perhaps that is why they were delayed. I was also looking for a certain Pandemic game...

Eric_S

1) Am I the only one who gets the creeping suspicion that the economy department's got a lot of say into the final product?

2) For Sony's sake I'm hoping that their industrial economists have done their homework on price elasticety for consoles, and how it's affected by "upscaling".

3) Please don't let the econ. guys get to much of a say, I don't want another C= tragedy. :(

Andokuky

Banned
Can you save games to the PS3 HDD? If so what's the big deal about the removal of MemoryStick slots?

If not, how the fuck are you supposed to save your games?

The ratio of "OMG Sony have made a mistake im going to jump in and say its all over" posts to normal posts is finally starting to improve.

They've fucked up on the price, but its still value for what you're getting. The controller however is a shameless rip-off, i want vibration back.

It will sell shitloads in Japan, but i think Sony have conceded the western market for the next 2 years maybe?

Kolgar

DaCocoBrova said:
No way am I gonna look down at my PS3 years from now thinking about how I dropped $600 on it. Fuck that.

Agreed.

And speaking of greed, that's what this reeks of. Consumers will notice. PS3 will seem inaccessible to them. Here's a brand for the people, and Sony is taking it away from them.

I took off work today so I could go to EB and preorder one if a price and launch day were announced. But I'm not doing that anymore. Not because I can't afford it - I can - but because my confidence has been shaken in PlayStation as a platform.

The "retard" pack, the pricing, the poor showing last night, the lackluster visuals - hell, betting the whole company on Cell and Blu-Ray - Sony is looking more like a "smoke and mirrors" company trying to catch up to its competitors than the hungry, smart company I thought I knew.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it feels smarmy. They flat-out lied to us at E3 2005, and clearly haven't lived up to that hype. (20 minutes of Gran Turismo HD? Ah, vamping 'cause you don't have anything REAL to show!) I feel like a bond of trust has been broken. Like I did in '95 when Nintendo went with cartridges and delayed N64 so many times. "WTF are they thinking?" I'm thinking.

I'm not investing $600 in a product like this unless and until I'm sure this company knows what the fuck it's doing, and right now, I'm not sure Sony knows what it's doing at all.

ant1532

Banned
Andokuky said:
Can you save games to the PS3 HDD? If so what's the big deal about the removal of MemoryStick slots?

you can but if you do have friends, you would know that sometime you want to bring you game saves to their house... And it would be fucking nice to take pics on your camera and pop it in psp and ps3 wouldnt it?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DenogginizerOS said:
Perhaps that is why they were delayed. I was also looking for a certain Pandemic game...

I was perplexed by this too, because I'm 99% sure that PS3 is the only platform they're working on right now, or at least that was what I had heard pre-E3. Kaz mentioned Pandemic explicitly, but it seems they're leaving some developers and publishers to make their own announcements.

BTW, Pandemic's countdown teaser in the last couple of days seems to suggest co-op play is in :) They should make their announcement today/tomorrow.

Andokuky said:

Of course you can save to the HDD.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Stpud time difference, Ive had to quickly catch up on everything now.

Im just about to watch the MGS trailer, Ive sene pics and damn it looks fucking incredible.

I just saw the FFXIII pictures too. Its still too early to say anything but I definately love what I saw.

Im thrilled that Sony decided to redesign the PS3 controller so that its like a dualshock. thats what i wanted from the beginning. DS is my fave controller, its exceeltn and its good they've decided to go back to it.

What the hell do sony think they're doing by pricing PS3 so high? Everything else about it is so perfect but the price is ridiculous.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I think it is idiotic to bitch at Warhawk's downgrade before we see that same level downgraded or we see all levels empty and void of detail.

The funny thing is that most people bitched to high heavens that Warhawk was not impressing at all at last year's E3 and how it sucked and all... and now some are using those screens to say "look, they showed us too good to be true CG renders, no way CELL can be that good"... ?!?!

Ben Sones

Ninja Scooter said:
this actually makes some sense. I mean, Joe Consumer probably wouldn't want to drop $600+ on a videogame system, but with the amount of systems Sony is slated to ship, he'll have the decision made for him cause there won't be any systems to go around as the first batch will be snatched up by hardcore gamers and tech enthusaists. This keeps the perception of demand high, and then maybe Sony drops the price by $100 by next e3 (not likely, but i can dream) when they get the supply steady.

Joe consumer won't spend $500 on a game system, either, though. That's where Sony made their blunder--it's not that the price is too high, it's that the price is WAY too high.

Beowvlf

Banned
Well, I've had a night to sleep on it, and while there is no doubt the price is high (the biggest shock is how much higher it is than the PS2 launch price), the overreaction here is getting out of hand.

I'm no pyschologist, but I've a very strong feeling that A LOT of folks here are now trying extra hard to prove that everything on the system was/is/looked like shit except some undeniables, so they can subconsciously convince themselves they don't need the system. Why? Because the price hurts the wallet, and a lot of folks on this board (younger gamers) can't afford it. I'm not trying to generalize, so don't take it the wrong way, nor am I trying to say that that line of reasoning is absurd. Hell, I can afford the thing and I tried that myself last night; but too many games look too good to pass up.

Another thing, is that people are REALLY underestimating how well this will still sell. This is the day and age where people are spending $300-400 on portable music players that do little else. Spending $30 on UMDs and $2 a pop by the thousands on TV episodes off of iTunes. $600 is A LOT of money. But you're getting the most advanced gaming system available, a high definition movie player, and 60GB HDD equipped media hub that has the right tech inside to last 8-10 years. And this is at launch. And that right there is the most important point.

I think a big part of disappointment/jacket tossing is the realization that many are having that they are no longer the uber hardcore, which has usually been defined as the first folks to buy the system. If your price range is a few price drops away, that's fine; wait for the subsequent drops before you buy; Sony knows full well that right now they'll only sell this price to what will end up being less than 10% of the final installed base. But I honestly think there are enough consumers willing to purchase the system at the higher prices to maintain software support at the same level as the PS2. I've always thought that traditionally systems are ridiculously cheap, as after only 6-7 game purchases you've already spent more on software, and many of us end up with over 40-50 titles by generation's end.

Lastly, for the amount of people crying foul that they just want a games machine, I don't understand the complaints on the $500 pack, as unlike the 360, none of the omissions affect gaming. All HD resolutions from games are fine through component, the HDD is still there, the ethernet is still built in, and the memory card slots are more for the media hub than gaming. If the whole convergence thing isn't your bag, what's really wrong with the $500 pack?

EDIT: Oh and for the record, I think $399/499 would've been the better move.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Ben Sones said:
Joe consumer won't spend $500 on a game system, either, though. That's where Sony made their blunder--it's not that the price is too high, it's that the price is WAY too high.
I'll be one of those in the minority who would spend theat much money on a PS3, but I cant imagine a normal consumer being convince dinto spending $600 for a game console.

Sony have done everything right other than the pricing. They're basically shooting themselves in the foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom