• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6. What in the Sam Hill is this?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
OK, I do my best to go into games which a clear mind. I know this game doesn't have the best rep on Gaf, but I did my best to go into this with no expectations. I've played all other RE games, and for some reason haven't gotten around to this till this week.

Why the hell doesn't this game explain anything? I have read the GAF thread which details all the unexplained mechanics. There are pretty much NO tutorials to explain any of this, or any areas where you can try out the various maneuvers. I'm a few hours in and still figuring out out to master the controls.

Why do I always seem to run out of ammo unless I melee like a motherfucker? Shit is mad annoying.

Why are Piers and Helena so much cooler than Chris and Leon? Chris is as generic as they come (I admit he wasn't the most interesting in RE5 either, but he had some character), and Leon is a shadow of his RE4 shelf.

Also, the melee / run system is janky as hell. Anytime I'm in close quarters with Chris it seems I'm swinging around like a madman and the camera is flying all over the place while enemies just dissipate, even when I barely collide with them.

The enemies are kinda boring too. And WTF at half human / half spider monkeys with hostages attached to their back. Like wat?

Please tell me this game get's better. I'm following the popular fan order to play through the chapters.

Bl@de

Please tell me this game get's better. I'm following the popular fan order to play through the chapters.

Well the Jake campaign is better because it puts the focus on melee. But does it really get better? No. It's a bad game with good controls/melee systems. But that's it.

Alfredo

The closest the game gets to telling you how to play the game is some of the loading screen trips, and those are like completely random and some get skipped over because the load screen is too short. The closest thing to a tutorial is the Prelude, and it doesn't tell you anything other than how to use an herb. Your best bet to practicing the game is probably just messing around in Mercenaries.

You shouldn't be shooting all that much. Just go for headshots or shoulder shots on zombies/regular J'avo to stun, then melee them for a special instant-kill. You can also do Quickshots (both triggers) to stun, melee to knock them down, then stand near their head for another melee that will squash their head.

If you wanna be super cool and save more ammo, you can learn the timing for counters, which will usually knock an enemy over, allowing you to go in for a head stomp.

You can also buy skills that will increase ammo drops or improve your stamina and stuff like that.

Even though the combat can be a ton of fun once you learn it, the game is still bad. The campaigns are riddled with bad game design. You will curse when the game keeps on insisting on taking the camera away from you while enemies are still actively attacking you.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I have tried multiple times to play through the campaigns and end up quitting after 1 or 2 chapters. I love the mechanics (forced coop aside) but everything else is garbage. At least Mercenaries manages to be very fun, especially in No Mercy mode.

MoFuzz

Great action game mechanics, excellent mercenaries mode (saved the game for me). Campaign is terrible at the worst of times and passable at the best.

Honestly, the game seemed built for Mercenaries. That's more than enough for quite a few folks, as I'm sure we'll see soon as the main elements of RE6GAF peek in here, but it was off putting at release to me personally how much of a mess from every angle the campaign was.

And that's without my personal bias in regards to Resident Evil and gameplay philosophy.

I thought the enemies were kind of cool. Don't remember feeling bored, just that fighting them with the meh level design was a bit underwhelming in both fun and general feedback.

Can't say it gets much better, though the
Ada
bits were pretty cool. I think Chris' issue is that it's a retread of the personal issues of RE5 with a stronger emphasis on a poor portrayal of PTSD, and never goes beyond that to focus on any other part of his character.

Seyavesh

hello, re6 gif force here
don't play the campaign

i don't have a gif but don't play the campaign

play no mercy mercs

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
The game has a fun, if silly, campaign, but where the controls and combat system really shine is in Mercenaries. Give that a go if you're feeling bored with the game... It's quite addictive and the combat system really starts to stand on its own.

Setting up melee attacks by shooting enemies in the head or limbs is really the way to go with this game. For example with zombies you basically want to shoot them in the shoulder to set up a one-hit kill, whereas with Bloodshots you want to wait for them to jump at you so you can counter them and stomp them in the chest. It's a little hard to figure all this out in the campaign, but Mercenaries is where it really all comes together.

Aren't you supposed to melee through the entire game? Thats what makes it so fun.

Wait, what? You are? I tried playing the game a year or so ago but just found the gunplay boring as hell. Is it actually fun if you stick to meleeing enemies?

Mohasus

Not sure about the console version, but on PC you can learn all those mechanics by just opening the controls menu. By the time I read that guide, I knew almost everything in there (except the part about painting targets, but I never felt the need for it).

If you are just using stamina to punch things it would be hard for you to kill them. Try to aim for stuns to set up the more stronger melee finishers, the quick shot is great for this and it only costs 1 bar of stamina and 1 bullet. It may seem random at first but the type of melee attack you get depends on how much you damage the enemy and your position relative to them. For example in mercs if you stun the enemy with the quick shot (the RT + LT) then do a quick slide into them, you get a coup de grace, which is stronger than a normal melee prompt. There are also other ways you can set up stuff, like if you jump kick the back of a Napad after dodging or using the flip counter for the females, you break their shell. But really, it takes a while to get used to stamina conservation, since sometimes you can just pop a pill to refill stamina so you can execute another quick shot. Just punching things with RT burns through stamina and isn't really efficient damage wise.

Also another thing that is good to get a hang of is counters. It can save you a lot, and it's also why the knife is godlike in this game. If you have the knife on and counter, you can insta kill a lot of enemies. If you learn to counter a bloodshot's leap, you can instantly get rid of a normally threatening enemy, since they are sort of this game's crimson heads for zombies (in that if you do enough damage, they transform into a faster and more dangerous form), except you have a lot of ways to deal with them.

Wait, what? You are? I tried playing the game a year or so ago but just found the gunplay boring as hell. Is it actually fun if you stick to meleeing enemies?
Head shot to stun -> melee in any way you like.

Shoot somewhere to stun -> " "

The game gives you lots of options with regular shots, quick-shots, etc.

Sora_N

I tried to finish all the campaigns... I got through Leon and Chris. Then came Jake? Fuck that snow level. Then I tried Ada's and it wasnt fun either.

I just hate how every time something happened that made me feel the chapter was ending it actually dragged on much much longer. That's what made me hate the game so much.

Skip the campaign and go straight through mercenaries mode, it's the best of the series so far and shows that what was wrong with the game was not the mechanics but rather the awful level design and unnecessary QTEs littered all over the place.

Neff

It's not a sequel to RE4 or even RE5. It's Vanquish/Godhand/Uncharted. Bear that it mind and it'll make much more sense.

Are you kidding? The best thing about this game is that "Just shoot the gun!" is not the only option! In fact shots are used sparingly to set up melee attacks.

Following from the RE4 combat, your bread and butter is to shoot head or leg and to melee. Then some times you can grab their weapons and counter, or if you have a partner you two can combo off each other! It's a risk-reward system that lets you deal more damage up close at the risk of taking damage or being grabbed.

One of my favorite new move is to roll into enemy -> Plant C4 -> get up immediately and run before triggering @_@

It's not a sequel to RE4 or even RE5. It's Vanquish/Godhand/Uncharted. Bear that it mind and it'll make much more sense.

I'd leave out Uncharted, but yep.

Doesn't make me feel much better about it, but it can be my head-canon lol
Skin the campaign and go straight through mercenaries mode, it's the best of the series so far and shows that what was wrong with the game was not the mechanics but rather the awful level design and unnecessary QTEs littered all over the place.

Feel like that when it's at the point that people only care for a side mode of the game over the rest of it, you have to rethink your priorities in the continuation of it.

Would love to see more Mercs only games with their own outlandish storylines tied in for context.

I think it can still work with this combat mechanics. The biggest problem is that they don't have anyone on the level of say Miyazaki to sell you on an atmosphere and setting.

At least we know that Mikami is doing the level design for Revelations 2.

Kuraudo

Banned
It's an overambitious mess. There are some flashes of brilliance, but they're buried beneath half-realised, half-assed ideas which aren't really fun to play. There'll be sections which feel like it's the best game ever, then there'll be two janky boss fights that go on far too long.

I think it can still work with this combat mechanics. The biggest problem is that they don't have anyone on the level of say Miyazaki to sell you on an atmosphere and setting.

At least we know that Mikami is doing the level design for Revelations 2.

He's not. Capcom have another guy called Shinji Mikami.

Cels

gameplay systems are great. the game is definitely not survival horror. it is an action game through and through and you have to play it like one.

the campaign doesn't properly use the tools they give you so in the end probably 80% of my time was spent playing mercenaries

some quick tips:
you should melee most of the time, i.e. your guns should be used to set up your melee attacks for the most part.
learn to how to dodge, roll, and slide. you can even do 180s while you slide.
learn how to use coup de grace attacks
learn to counter, there will be a prompt right before an enemy hits you.

Skip the campaign and go straight through mercenaries mode, it's the best of the series so far and shows that what was wrong with the game was not the mechanics but rather the awful level design and unnecessary QTEs littered all over the place.
Dunno man.

I liked the game but Mercenaries was easily the worst part. The indepth mechanics set by RE4 and RE5 were pretty much lost.

No reloading in menus meant that you had to manage reloading on the spot as opposed to RE5.
No picking up items meant no invincibility frames
No invincibility frames when performing some button sensitive actions
Stamina regeneration was unbalanced
Broken AI (At times)
Overpowered AI (At times)
Enemies not dying quick enough
Broken physics
Enemies having stupid invincibility frames
Enemies ignoring hitstun
Being knocked down often
No quick turning
Quick use of guns felt off.

Man RE5 had the best Mercenaries mode. I worked hard with a partner on RE6 but man, they really dropped all of of the best mechanics that made RE5 so great.

Bumhead

Banned
It's too long, too big and bloated, poorly executed and poorly thought out. If the game was a third as big as it is and condensed into a single campaign, with only the best bits of each included, it MIGHT have been OK.

It's a Resident Evil game where the best thing anyone can say about it is that it has decent melee combat. How fucking dumb is that.

Alienous

Please pardon the mod sexiness, but this is Resident Evil 6:

hydra.gif

ibsXYBrJLmZ79g.gif

ib1bCrEXOkfpwe.gif

Embrace it.

GrazGamer

I seem to be in the minority but Resident Evil was one of the first games I played and I have loved all the mainline entries equally. I am just on a run through them all again at the moment.

I have played through 6 twice and loved every minute of it, if not more the second time.

To me the series has evolved appropriately with the escalation of the outbreak globally and 6 was the culmination of that. The story is pretty naff and implausible in all the games, especially 4, but 6 especially I found incredibly engaging from beginning to end. But that's just me.

Jigorath

Banned
The complete lack of ammo is one of the biggest problems with the game. It's like Capcom thought this was a survival horror title and they needed to limit ammo. This is an action game. Imagine how annoying Call of Duty would be if you ran out of ammo every 30 seconds and had to run around knifing everyone.

GrazGamer

The complete lack of ammo is one of the biggest problems with the game. It's like Capcom thought this was a survival horror title and they needed to limit ammo. This is an action game. Imagine how annoying Call of Duty would be if you ran out of ammo every 30 seconds and had to run around knifing everyone.

I don't think I ever ran out of ammo, the game is very good at keeping you at the limits required to deal with the hordes but I was never reduced to a knife.

ArjanN

You're supposed to use your guns to set up melee kills. If you do this you shouldn't really run out of ammo.

Call of Duty don't let you suplex your enemies, also who the heck runs out of ammo?

I'd rather play ET on the Atari.

Would you really?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah. A lot more fun.
Counter&Melee all the way. Think of your firearm as the assist item, while your melee as the primary weapon.

havok75

Hi Gaf first post
I just bought this game from Tesco for £2.75. A brand new sealed game for £2.75 Amazing. anyway on topic I just completed Leon's campaign. Man that end Boss was a pain in the butt I have just started Chris's campaign and so far it's not as good as the Leon one but I'm going to get it finished today anyway. I can't believe I passed on this game for so long it was only after reading what other gaffers said about it last week I thought what the hell I'm getting it I was really shocked to find it at that price.

OK, I do my best to go into games which a clear mind. I know this game doesn't have the best rep on Gaf, but I did my best to go into this with no expectations. I've played all other RE games, and for some reason haven't gotten around to this till this week.

Why the hell doesn't this game explain anything? I have read the GAF thread which details all the unexplained mechanics. There are pretty much NO tutorials to explain any of this, or any areas where you can try out the various maneuvers. I'm a few hours in and still figuring out out to master the controls.

Why do I always seem to run out of ammo unless I melee like a motherfucker? Shit is mad annoying.

Why are Piers and Helena so much cooler than Chris and Leon? Chris is as generic as they come (I admit he wasn't the most interesting in RE5 either, but he had some character), and Leon is a shadow of his RE4 shelf.

Also, the melee / run system is janky as hell. Anytime I'm in close quarters with Chris it seems I'm swinging around like a madman and the camera is flying all over the place while enemies just dissipate, even when I barely collide with them.

The enemies are kinda boring too. And WTF at half human / half spider monkeys with hostages attached to their back. Like wat?

Wait till you get to Ada's part.

Once you've finished that stop playing this game

Mr_Zombie

The lack of ammo forces you to use your other combat abilities. CAPCOM just iterated over the combat mechanics from RE4 and 5, where you also usually used weapons to set up melee finishers. This time they gave you a lot more options.

Because you should melee like a motherfucker. C'mon - there are plenty of cover shooters on the market. Why do you want RE6 to be another one? RE6's strength is the whole varied combat where you could punch, kick and suplex the shit out of monsters. :D

If you haven't tried them, play Sherry's and Jake's campaign. This is the best couple in the game with really sweet relationship.

Oh c'mon. Rapidly mutating J'avos are the best thing ever. They are unpredictable (various mutations can mix) and each mutation requires different tactics. Yes, they look hilarious, but from the gameplay point of view, how can one not like that?

If you don't enjoy the game now then you can stop playing, because it won't get better (i.e. different). Just try Mercenaries mode.

Well the Jake campaign is better because it puts the focus on melee. But does it really get better? No. It's a bad game with good controls/melee systems. But that's it.

I think the Jake's campaign can be tiresome because they constantly interrupt the fighting scenarios with some weird set pieces: lets run from this monster, or a tank, or have a motorcycle chase, or a stealth section, or lets take away all your weapons, or what about a snow stage where you can't see shit...

You will curse when the game keeps on insisting on taking the camera away from you while enemies are still actively attacking you.

I couldn't believe it when this happened to me. Such a stupid game design choice. Even worse is when a set piece triggers, you find yourself standing in a wrong spot and die instantly - happened to me during the bridge collapsing part in Chris' campaign - right when it happened, a falling car or a crate instantly killed me even before I had the chance to move out of its way.

Top Bottom