• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Resident Evil 6. What in the Sam Hill is this?

Feindflug

Please pardon the mod sexiness, but this is Resident Evil 6:

hydra.gif

ibsXYBrJLmZ79g.gif

ib1bCrEXOkfpwe.gif

Embrace it.

So good...

These gifs make me want to play some Mercs, best TPS mechanics ever along with Vanquish.

Still one of the best combat systems in a TPS, a game that gives you options instead of forcing you to hide behind covers almost the whole time.

I also think even the campaigns are more fun when you actually know the mechanics.

Yes.

At least I know it's crap going in. I had expected more from RE6. It wasn't all that much either.

See I don't think you know how crap ET actually was, you probably have a vague idea, but if you think playing ET is better than playing RE6 then you have another thing coming.

Arkanius

RE6 started being good when you discover that some fringe team in Capcom decided that it would be cool if instead of playing like RE4, they would do a game where you melee everything to death

And then it was good

There hasnt been a good Resident Evil released since 4. Series should of been killed off a long time ago. Now its just stupid as fuck. Story is dumb. Characters are dumb. Everything is dumb.

Jito

Banned
Cool melee animations does not make a good game folks. There's no saving Resi 6, just wtf was going on during that game was beyond me. Leon crashing a plane, Leon crashing a bus, Leon crashing a helicopter. Stop getting in vehicles Leon!

Dinda

I had it since release and hated it.

Started playing it again after the thread about the animations a few days ago, and now play with pretty much only melee. It's actually quite fun now. Stupid, but fun.

Those environment textures has to be the worst i have seen in an AAA Games since a long long time on PC though. At least the characters look great. Hmmm Ada.....

Chris campaign was the only one I legitimately liked, it knew exactly what it was and wanted to be and made good use of the great controls.
Also his story was somewhat enjoyable.

Cool melee animations does not make a good game folks. There's no saving Resi 6, just wtf was going on during that game was beyond me. Leon crashing a plane, Leon crashing a bus, Leon crashing a helicopter. Stop getting in vehicles Leon!
All the way back to the RE2 intro.

tav7623

OK, I do my best to go into games which a clear mind. I know this game doesn't have the best rep on Gaf, but I did my best to go into this with no expectations. I've played all other RE games, and for some reason haven't gotten around to this till this week.

Why the hell doesn't this game explain anything? I have read the GAF thread which details all the unexplained mechanics. There are pretty much NO tutorials to explain any of this, or any areas where you can try out the various maneuvers. I'm a few hours in and still figuring out out to master the controls.

Why do I always seem to run out of ammo unless I melee like a motherfucker? Shit is mad annoying.

Why are Piers and Helena so much cooler than Chris and Leon? Chris is as generic as they come

Please tell me this game get's better. I'm following the popular fan order to play through the chapters.

1. Not really if you want things explained make sure you destroy as many emblems as you can....or just go to the RE wiki....it's probably easier to go to the wiki

2. You are expected to melee/ use the combat system a whole lot

3.Piers is much cooler....until the latter half of the game when he
turns into Baby Chris

4. Sorta....it has it's moments

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
RE6 suffers from a robust dodge/melee system which is left virtually unexplained to the player. The game is also wrapped pretty tightly around said system such that if you try and use typical RE logic and keep your distance from enemies as you gun them down, you'll probably run out of ammo. You're supposed to get in their faces and wrassle them to death.

RE6 suffers from a robust dodge/melee system which is left virtually unexplained to the player. The game is also wrapped pretty tightly around said system such that if you try and use typical RE logic and keep your distance from enemies as you gun them down, you'll probably run out of ammo. You're supposed to get in their faces and wrassle them to death.

Eh, ever since RE4 took the world by storm, and RE5 is one of their best selling titles, you would think shoot-to-melee is the new RE logic.

Aren't you supposed to melee through the entire game? Thats what makes it so fun.

Yep, Leon with falcon kick, Chris with falcon punch and whatever jake does.

It's mad fun especially when you have your stamina max or unlimited.

Story is lulzy but gameplay is really fun.

It's a great game. You just need to discover its mechanics a little and adapt your play style. People expecting a classic RE, shooting everything while barely moving (ala COD, RE4 or RE5) and long tutorials that handhold you, were super disappointed.

In a way, discovering and experimenting with the mechanics is not that different from other popular game series where you die a lot if you don't adapt, experiment and pay attention.

The QTE's in co-op are the absolute worst. I can't tell you how many times I've partnered with extremely incompetent players who had to redo a section again and again and again. And this is the hard setting, you'd think they would be veterans by then but no....

joe2187

Banned
There hasnt been a good Resident Evil released since 4. Series should of been killed off a long time ago. Now its just stupid as fuck. Story is dumb. Characters are dumb. Everything is dumb.

RE4s story is stupid as fuck, the characters are insane and you're being petty.

RE4 is where everything went "wrong" in everybodys opinion yet it's still praised to high heaven, when the series evolves from RE4 and people are surprised at the outcome.

RE4 is where everything went "wrong" in everybodys opinion yet it's still praised to high heaven, when the series evolves from RE4 and people are surprised at the outcome.

Lol, evolved? In what way?

nullref

I think it's ultimately a great game, but it definitely has some... usability and accessibility issues, is what I'd call them.

• Zoom the camera field of view all the way out. I found that the default setting was almost solely responsible for any problems I had with the camera and controls.
  • The game definitely doesn't do a good job of explaining its (good, unique) mechanics. Experiment, read a FAQ.
  • The game has some pretty janky set pieces and QTEs (especially in the early chapters, which makes for a bad first impression). On the flip side, I really enjoyed the scope and variety of the game.
  • You can't pause the game, and all the menus, co-op match-making, etc. are pretty poorly done.
  • It's definitely designed as a co-op game. I would play it this way if at all possible.

You should definitely be using melee a lot – the game is almost a shooter/brawler hybrid. If you're playing it that way, you shouldn't have many issues with ammo.

Your opinions on the story and characters aside, I think it's more correct to say that Resident Evil 4 provided a brand new foundation to build the series upon that left previous Resident Evil behind.

But that foundation was not built upon, at least not in any coherent way. Some of RE4's strongest components are its environments and intuitive resource management, something RE5 forgoes entirely in favor of more action.

RE5 was a complete misunderstanding of what made RE4 so popular. It was a foolhardy emphasis on action, muscles, and over-the-top action sequences. Best selling game or not, RE5 left many RE4 fans behind as well.

RE6 now had three fan bases to try to consolidate. Fans of Classic RE, fans of RE4, and fans of RE5. The game lacked any singular vision of core philosophy in favor of nearly desperate pandering to its fractured fan base.

And we all know how that turned out. RE6 wasn't built on a foundation of RE4, or even RE5. RE6 was built on uneven ground.

joe2187

Banned
Your opinions on the story and characters aside, I think it's more correct to say that Resident Evil 4 provided a brand new foundation to build the series upon that left previous Resident Evil behind.

But that foundation was not built upon, at least not in any coherent way. Some of RE4's strongest components are its environments and intuitive resource management, something RE5 forgoes entirely in favor of more action.

RE5 was a complete misunderstanding of what made RE4 so popular. It was a foolhardy emphasis on action, muscles, and over-the-top action sequences. Best selling game or not, RE5 left many RE4 fans behind as well.

RE6 now had three fan bases to try to consolidate. Fans of Classic RE, fans of RE4, and fans of RE5. The game lacked any singular vision of core philosophy in favor of nearly desperate pandering to its fractured fan base.

And we all know how that turned out. RE6 wasn't built on a foundation of RE4, or even RE5. RE6 was built on uneven ground.

Im just sick of people praising RE4 and then in the same sentence declaring how terrible every other game is after it.

And you prove my point as well, you only see the amount of things RE4 did right while ignoring everything it did wrong/fuck up. The entirety of RE4 was a giant action roller coaster (there is even a fucking roller coaster sequence). It's not scary in the slightest, it has great pacing, it's tense as hell and will keep you on the edge of your seat with every door Leon kicks down and every window he barrels out of like some suicidal action hero.

But it wasnt any less of an action movie than RE5 or RE6. The foundation RE4 built was it's focus on combat design and enemy encounters. The foundation RE4 built wasnt subtlety and enviroment design, it was over the top monsters getting suplexed by cocky assholes with guns.

The fact that you can do dropkicks is just some Neverland dogshit. Peter Pan himself can't believe you can do dropkicks in an RE game. It's stuff like that keeping me from games like Dying Light until it's cheap. Takes me out of the experience to be honest. Those animations and moves are not what I've come to expect from the RE name and I refuse to give full price for such nonsense.

Alfredo

Eh, ever since RE4 took the world by storm, and RE5 is one of their best selling titles, you would think shoot-to-melee is the new RE logic.

I seriously wonder if people actually played RE4 and 5 just shooting everyone. I should probably try playing those games without melee to see what it's like...

Mr_Zombie

Those animations and moves are not what I've come to expect from the RE name and I refuse to give full price for such nonsense.

RE4 with its supplexes, roundhouse kicks, ridiculous slow-mo knife fights and Ada in a Chinese dress flying through air using her grappling gun just called from 2005.

I don't know what you expect from RE name, but the ridiculous shit started 10 years ago.

ibsXYBrJLmZ79g.gif

ib1bCrEXOkfpwe.gif

Embrace it.

Man, I would love a Mercenaries level based on that stage.

Neff

I agree with the first part of this statement. But as a fan of all three of examples in the franchise you give, I'd say that they succeeded, albeit in a rather disjointed, rough-around-the-edges way. I got things I liked about the classic series (more puzzles than in any RE since the classic games), echoes of RE4, and the best thing about RE5- a solid co-op experience. And on top of that, a very forward-thinking and novel TPS which managed to stay true to RE's ethos of heavily polarised risk/reward mechanics.

To create such a huge amount of content and cover all the bases was a tall order, but I was left wholly satisfied by what Capcom offered.

Yeah. A lot more fun.
Counter&Melee all the way. Think of your firearm as the assist item, while your melee as the primary weapon.

CounterMelee is how you get+10 to timers in Mercs, you wanna be going for these all the time for high scores.

You're not supposed to though. The way RE games (at least) Mercenaries is based on dodging to counter attack or shooting in the face then going in for the finisher. RE6 pushed this mechanic a lot further but badly balanced it out with the stamina meter. RE4 and 5 also have these mechanics(and more in place).
RE5 was the perfect controlling and mechanics RE5 game. Built from RE4 and expanded upon but then completely changed in RE6. None of that is explained to anyone, it's up the players to find out.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
the combat system is the best in any 3rd person shooter, but the level design is so bad it destroys the game. I think the car section in Chris' campaing is the worst section in any of game of last gen, it was awful.

The Evil Within is more limiting when it comes to combat, but the limitations made it a much better experience. Not to mention that the level design in TEW is shitload better, too.

Basically TEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE6

Seyavesh

sure i could melee but on the other hand,

GrLfAmW.gif

but really a big reason i love no mercy is 'cuz meleeing can leave you in a bad position but you also need to utilize it to clear crowds or abuse invulnerability etc.

regular mercs is really dull in comparison simply because it's extremely simple to streamline your gameplan and execute it due to how easy stunning enemies and countering enemies is when they're in such small amounts with little variation

no mercy you definitely have to use guns if you want to keep up a 300 combo- jake's h2h will let you get a 300 combo but beyond that the function of your guns as an actual ranged weapon rather than simply a tool to set up nonstop melee chains is great

Astral Dog

I'm sure there are many hundreds of Shinji Mikamis. Just that the one who currently works on Resident Evil at Capcom is not THE Shinji Mikami who created the series.
Its an interesting coincidence, i can see Capcom hyping it up on some interview: "and Mr. Mikami has come back to work on the level design of Revelations 2"

You're not supposed to though. The way RE games (at least) Mercenaries is based on dodging to counter attack or shooting in the face then going in for the finisher. RE6 pushed this mechanic a lot further but badly balanced it out with the stamina meter. RE4 and 5 also have these mechanics(and more in place).
RE5 was the perfect controlling and mechanics RE5 game. Built from RE4 and expanded upon but then completely changed in RE6. None of that is explained to anyone, it's up the players to find out.

Eh, I felt that the stamina bar is a good limiter from just spamming the melee attacks and quick shots straight up. This is important because unlike RE4/5, RE6 allows you to start a melee combo without needing to waste bullets.

the combat system is the best in any 3rd person shooter, but the level design is so bad it destroys the game. I think the car section in Chris' campaing is the worst section in any of game of last gen, it was awful.

The Evil Within is more limiting when it comes to combat, but the limitations made it a much better experience. Not to mention that the level design in TEW is shitload better, too.

Basically TEW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RE6

I wish you could dodge in TEW though.

I want RE6 dodges and melee + TEW's Crossbows and matches @_@

Game4life

Banned

hydra.gif

ibsXYBrJLmZ79g.gif

ib1bCrEXOkfpwe.gif

Embrace it.

Horrible nausea inducing camera angles for a horrible game. Pointless spinning that serves no gameplay purpose in the first gif. Would be just easier to stay put and shoot. Supposed to look cool I guess.

The complete lack of ammo is one of the biggest problems with the game. It's like Capcom thought this was a survival horror title and they needed to limit ammo. This is an action game. Imagine how annoying Call of Duty would be if you ran out of ammo every 30 seconds and had to run around knifing everyone.

This is not a game like Call of Duty where you sit there and expend entire clips into center mass. The ammo limitation is to make you use all your tools including melee. That's why even in the 'dudebro seeming' campaign of Chris and Piers military dudes with assault rifles they still have limited and fairly weak ammo. You are expected to get up in the enemy's face and stun them with a few bullets then do a melee or combo. Sitting behind cover and wasting all your ammo is the way to have a bad time.

Unfortunately the game never teaches you any of it's awesome mechanics, but once you learn them it is SO MUCH more fun. That said there are still really dumb parts of the campaign like scripted running sequences and whatnot, thankfully you can just skip them and there is still a ton of game there to play.

Obligatory RE6 gifs:
y2nRVdT.gif

iwGFVGKdOkQEv.gif

RE4 with its supplexes, roundhouse kicks, ridiculous slow-mo knife fights and Ada in a Chinese dress flying through air using her grappling gun just called from 2005.

I don't know what you expect from RE name, but the ridiculous shit started 10 years ago.

Man, I would love a Mercenaries level based on that stage.

Yeah, we're all aware that RE4 was the beginning of this disaster we have in the RE universe now.

Astral Dog

I agree with the first part of this statement. But as a fan of all three of examples in the franchise you give, I'd say that they succeeded, albeit in a rather disjointed, rough-around-the-edges way. I got things I liked about the classic series (more puzzles than in any RE since the classic games), echoes of RE4, and the best thing about RE5- a solid co-op experience. And on top of that, a very forward-thinking and novel TPS which managed to stay true to RE's ethos of heavily polarised risk/reward mechanics.

To create such a huge amount of content and cover all the bases was a tall order, but I was left wholly satisfied by what Capcom offered.
RE 6 had some good ideas, but it was a total mess that didn't achieve what the others could do independently, the QTEs alone almost ruined the whole game to me, its one of the worst uses of that mechanic ever, campaigns have a lot of content but are so uneven, enemy designs and bosses too, some just look awful, other bosses like the final boss are truly drag out, gameplay is poorly explained, the story is...well im not sure, it had a few good ideas that could be a bit creepy to expand like the relationship between Dereck and Carla, but its setpiece after setpiece and explosions everywhere, the game is dedicated to Ada Wong too but we don't learn anything new about her.

It was overambitious and not handled well imo, some changes have to be made.

ship it

Horrible nausea inducing camera angles for a horrible game. Pointless spinning that serves no gameplay purpose in the first gif. Would be just easier to stay put and shoot. Supposed to look cool I guess.

you...guess? I don't get sick from those camera angles, I guess I must be special.

its pretty obvious the game is over the top. not sure why you would be looking for otherwise. "would be easier to stay put and shoot" = lolwtf

I recently got this game and I liked it despite all the hate neogaf has for it(which I think it doesn't really deserve). Then again, my opinion on games differ greatly with the majority of gaffers. Anyway, while I did enjoy Leon's and Jake's campaign, I can't get into Chris' campaign.

Mercenaries is where this game shines for me. I was a big fan of RE5 mercs and played it heavily so doing all the new moves you can in RE6 is great. I never looked at that topic where a gaffer explained the controls, I just experimented with them myself and got it down easily. On my first day playing mercs, I was already get S rankings. I can only do a coup de grace on certain enemies so far but not sure if it's even helpful since you have an ample amount of time in the end.

I decided to get the game after read a thread here about the animations and I'm glad I did it, because I'm having so much fun playing it.

I don't think I can go back to the old controls (post RE4) anymore.

I got this back when it came out and didn't really like it. I came into it with a negative attitude though. It's on sale on PSN so i'm thinking of giving it another shot, especially after seeing Neiteio's thread about the controls. It's amazing how most of this stuff isn't explained to you.

antitrop

Please tell me this game get's better. I'm following the popular fan order to play through the chapters.

Good news! It gets better!

Bad news! You have to quit the campaign and start playing The Mercenaries!

RE6's campaign is an absolute abomination, with almost no worthwhile moments in the entire thing. And it's like 30 fucking hours of torturously awful content, which only makes it worse.

Tendo

Just recently got into playing this again while on a RE kick. I think this game is great. I liked it at launch though. So much crazy stuff going on, globe trotting campaign. I think its fun.

Plus Merc. Oh my.

Riposte

Good news! It gets better!

Bad news! You have to quit the campaign and start playing The Mercenaries!

RE6's campaign is an absolute abomination, with almost no worthwhile moments in the entire thing. And it's like 30 fucking hours of torturously awful content, which only makes it worse.

Everything you can do in Mercs, you do in the campaign, only with higher difficulty settings and more variety in layouts and scenarios (including four player cooperative and versus multiplayer, if you are lucky enough).

It's funny seeing the opposition go "Nothing good about it" to "Okay, it has good combat ideas in theory" to "Okay, The Mercenaries is good" (not just good, but great even lol). The next big breakthrough is understanding the very obvious fact that the Mercs just rearranges and homogenizes the open area parts of the campaign and adds a scoring mechanic (as it has since RE4).

antitrop

Everything you can do in Mercs, you do in the campaign, only with higher difficulty settings and more variety in layouts and scenarios (including four player cooperative and versus multiplayer, if you are lucky enough).

It's funny seeing the opposition go "Nothing good about it" to "Okay, it has good combat ideas in theory" to "Okay, The Mercenaries is good" (not just good, but great even lol). The next big breakthrough is understanding the very obvious fact that the Mercs just rearranges and homogenizes the open area parts of the campaign and adds a scoring mechanic (as it has since RE4).

Mercenaries trims the fat, sure. But it's completely necessary, because RE6's campaign is morbidly obese and has trouble getting out of bed in the morning.

Mercs is a God damn liposuction.

Top Bottom