• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Isolation is 50% off

Is it worth the price? Not really a big player of the first person survival horror games. I'm just used to watching those type of games on youtube, I guess.

Tizoc

Where in the name of the space jockey is it 50% off?
Regardless yes if u like horror games or can hang out with friends and play it i would say yes.
From the inpressions i gathered it is a very good horror game and it def. deserves more people experiencing it if they are willing.

DedValve

Banned
One of the surprise games of last year. It had no right to be as good as it did and yet Creative Assembly passed with flying colors.

It has a bad pacing problem and drags on for way too long which for people who don't like playing stressful games may be too much for them. Its definitely stressful but if you care at all for the series or are looking for a great horror game then its a must buy.

Also where the hell is it 50% off?

I
Sounds like it's not your thing.
Never could play Amnesia or Outlast. I can play survival horror games, but not the kind of games where you are completely defenseless and you have to hide/run away to proceed. At least, I heard you can use weapons to fend off the alien briefly.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Game is worth $300.

It's not for everyone, but for that price it's certainly worth trying out. The people that like it, really like it.

Never could play Amnesia or Outlast. I can play survival horror games, but not the kind of games where you are completely defenseless and you have to hide/run away to proceed. At least, I heard you can use weapons to fend off the alien briefly.

I was the exact same way, I love survival horror but those games were a bit much for me. I got it because I wa a massive fan of the film. As much as it appears to be similar to those games, Its much more manageable. Once you get into it you get used to the Aliens presence, and the game gives you a tonne of options for dealing with him.

Oddly enough, running and hiding are the last 2 things you should do in this game.

again, you seemed to have answered your own questions regarding this game.

bati

Game is worth $300.

It's not for everyone, but for that price it's certainly worth trying out. The people that like it, really like it.

Pretty much this. One of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. It really helps if you're a fan of the movies too.

vg260

Not a big fan of those either, but it sounds similar enough to those that the weapons don't change the similarities that much. I passed on the game as well, but from what I've seen/read you probably won't be missing out by skipping it. PC sales will go lower than 50% soon enough.

I'm the same way but still loved the game. If you have any reverence for the original Alien film it is definitely worth the money/time to play it.

You spend about 15 hours having to run away from the alien, and then you can fend it off regularly (but not always because of lack of ammo) in the last 5 hours. You encounter a lot of androids too, who can be destroyed but again, you'll need to avoid some as you don't have the ammo to take them all down and using guns is noisy so attracts other enemies. It's still mostly about waiting, running and hiding.

Picked it up for €25 on PSN but haven't touched it yet. Was a steal at that price, looking forward to a dull patch where I can crack on with it.

It's worth it IMO. I had to sell my copy but I'm looking for a sale to rebuy. The game really captures the horrifying sexuality of the creature design. Scary as all hell but something about it compels you to watch the xeno move around.

psychotron

Had this on PS4 and didn't finish. I see DF gave the nod to PS4, but can XB1 owners testify to the quality of the experience? I just bought it again as an impulse buy and want to know what I'm in for, lol.

Its a great game but it certainly isnt for everybody. I really wasnt sure if i was going to enjoy it since Im not the biggest survival horror fan but I loved the game.

If you got the spare cash burning a hole in your pocket, I say give it a shot.

TM94

Don't buy it.

Cabal

It was my favorite game that came out last year. I'm not huge on stealth games but this one had the right kind of tension. There was a spot that I was stuck in for a while, but I did finish the game. Some say it goes on too long but I thought it was a good length and really felt like I accomplished something when finishing it.

Great game, not for everyone though. If you don't like horror or stealth, you should probably pass. If you are a big fan of either, it's worth your time.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can I get it if I fill in an US billing adress despite being Euro or is it region locked?

AHA-Lambda

Yeah, don't buy it.

There is only one weapon that can fend off the alien and you don't get it for a good while into the game.
Plus fuel for it is relatively sparse, you can't rely on it and even then the alien is more aggressive and pissed off after you use it against it.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I got Alien: Isolation on sale a couple weeks ago, but haven't started it yet.

This may interest some of you, Amazon.com has the Alien Anthology bluray set on sale for $25:
http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Anthology-Blu-ray-Sigourney-Weaver/dp/B001AQO3QA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424278567&sr=8-1&keywords=Alien+anthology+blu+ray

I ordered it yesterday and it's supposed to be at home waiting now!
haha, I actually just ordered this a few hours ago. great series that's particularly interesting in that it's not an adapted screenplay and each of the 4 directors of the 4 films are pretty important to contemporary western cinema

Is it worth the price? Not really a big player of the first person survival horror games. I'm just used to watching those type of games on youtube, I guess.
I wouldn't really call It survival horror although I guess it shares a lot of traits with it. Still, unless you are a huge fan of alien and want to see it done properly as a game, pass on this at any price.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oddly enough, running and hiding are the last 2 things you should do in this game.

Really? Other than the flamethrower all I've seen in gameplay videos is creeping around and hiding against the Alien?

I guess the Alien isn't around for a good chunk of the game?

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Really? Other than the flamethrower all I've seen in gameplay videos is creeping around and hiding against the Alien?

I guess the Alien isn't around for a good chunk of the game?
the alien is around most of the game. running is a bad idea. hiding is not. flares are your buddy.

Top Bottom