• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Schafer defends Peter Molyneux.

BY2K

Membero Americo
In the video update where he talks about Broken Age entering Beta, Tim Schafer comes to the defense of Peter Molyneux, saying that the treatment he received recently is "harsh, unfortunate and unfair" and that while he's NOT saying that developers like himself and Peter shouldn't be held accountable, he believes that such behavior is unhealthy and the whole thing was blown out of proportions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnY0TdkXZwI

Eolz

Schafer could have easily been in Molyneux's position after his (or more precisely his company) last projects tbh.

Watch Jim Sterling's latest Jimquistion on him. Ole Pete knows what he is doing, and he shouldn't get a pass.

He's played the victim enough. It's time we stop treating him like one.

Caronte

They honestly expected to take people's money and not having to answer in case something went wrong? Because this is what it looks like to me. If they don't like this model they can always go back to working with publishers.

Skip to 2 minutes if you don't care about Broken Age

I feel like Tim simplifies the issue people have with Peter. It's not just about deadlines. But I agree with his over all remarks. I disagree that making games more transparent will increase people's enjoyment. Perhaps a greater appreciation but if anything I'd say watching a documentary about a game that isn't out yet actually lowers my enjoyment.

The harsh reaction to the latest Godus stuff wasn't because of Godus not working out. Stuff happens. It's because it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME with Molyneux games. Its not a coincidence. I don't understand this defense at all.

The harsh reaction to the latest Godus stuff wasn't because of Godus not working out. Stuff happens. It's because it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME with Molyneux games. Its not a coincidence. I don't understand this defense at all.

this is what i got from it. The dude needs to stop overpromising

rhandino

Banned
This thread is not going to end well tbh.

I do think that the thing was blown out BUT then again, at some point things were going to get this chaotic after all those hype and under delivery.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Seems like he's just breezing over or completely forgotten that the press' treatment of Molyneux isn't solely based on Godus not meeting its deadlines, but his entire catalog of imaginative lies.

RE_Player

I get Tim Schafer is big on the crowd funding and wants to defend other high profile developers that have had success with it but for the love of God don't throw your hat in with Peter Molyneux. This wasn't the result of one kickstarter gone wrong. The man has made a career of over promising and under delivering. The industry would be better if we didn't shine a spotlight on him.

Borman

It's always interesting to see who goes to bat for Molyneux. Often times it is those who have a problem delivering or at least with communication. Shafer and George Broussard come to mind.

Kusagari

There is no defending Molyneux when it comes to Godus.

He flat out admits he made shit up in an effort to get more money on Kickstarter.

Tim.

post-43162-shhh-just-go-gif-Imgur-Jim-Car-IupB.gif

They honestly expected to take people's money and not having to answer in case something went wrong? Because this is what it looks like to me. If they don't like this model they can always go back to working with publishers.

Did you not see the Game Awards?

The entire Broken Age segment was basically them going "act 2 is coming uh sometime and fuck you for not trusting us".

Nanashrew

Banned
Odd defense. Peter Molyneux has had a very long history with this sort of stuff so he's been rightfully called out on it imo. Has some of it been overblown? Maybe, but that shouldn't detract from the actual criticism about Molyneux and his antics.

he's correct, Petey Mol was a passionate man and the fact that trolls got to him is sad. That interview was completely unprofessional and slandering

Gattsu25

Banned
So are developers circling the wagons because they are spooked at a non-PR fluff piece interview?

Molyneux has continually failed to deliver on promises but this was the first time that he directly took money out of gamers hands and didn't deliver what he promised in order to get that money.

What do the people who paid for physical books (that have never been printed) get out of all this? What about the people who backed because of the promised Linux version only for them to find out that the engine the team ended up using doesn't even support Linux?

border

One guy who has failed to deliver on his Kickstarter defends other guy who has failed to deliver on his Kickstarter.

Film at 11.

Chindogg

This thread is not going to end well tbh.

I do think that the thing was blown out BUT then again, at some point things were going to get this chaotic after all those hype and under delivery.

Pretty much. Molyneux consistently makes mistakes on overpromising that he never seems to learn from. That said, development is never easy and Schafer could just as easily been in Molyneux's position given his own difficulties.

I do remember a few threads wondering what he was doing with the KS money from Broken Age, as well as the Space Base 9 early release backlash. It's so easy to dump on people when their jobs aren't exactly as transparent as it'd appear. As Shams Jorjani states in his interview with Angry Joe, development is super hard to lock down timetables and almost nothing comes out perfectly. Criticism is perfectly valid but there's a point where criticism crosses into full blown schadenfreude territory of just dumping on a dev that's had a lot of failures.

I usually forgave Molyneux even when he over promises and under delivers. I like designers that can at least have the capacity to think big.

But releasing Godus as a F2P game after basically stealing kickstarter money is a big kick to the nuts. The scrutiny Godus gets is fair even regardless if Molyneux was attached to the product or not.

Schafer could have easily been in Molyneux's position after his (or more precisely his company) last projects tbh.

Would Tim have taken the same steps as Peter in a) overpromising and b) constantly saying what garbage his previous products were? I understand perfectly what Tim means by the problems with the tone of the backlash against Peter, but I don't think Tim would be anywhere near in the same hot water Mr. Molyneux finds himself in because their on-the-record statements are worlds apart.

When you start promising real world wealth and life changing experiences to a young adult, then basically ignore them altogether you're sort of asking for it. I think everyone was used to him promising the world and delivering a cardboard diorama, it was a sort of bitter joke, but familiar and well worn. You can't bring that shit into someone's daily life without then being a complete and utter twat who deserves to be strung up by your own words though. And that's the thing, Peter was hanged with his own words. That's fair journalism imo, and everything that followed is typical internet backlash. Not that I'm a huge fan of that either, but hey, you reap what you sow.

watership

Peter Molyneux deserves everything that has come his way.

And yet if you knew nothing about pre game hype, and only played his games, you might say he makes great games, even if Fable 3 wasn't as good as the other two and Godus hasn't delivered.

Cartman86

Banned
Of course it's overblown. We are talking about gamers. The real issue here has never been that his games don't turn out amazing. It was about the way in which he spoke about them. Not just promising features. I mean who cares about that? Those aren't on the back of the box. Read some reviews etc. It's the frequency with which he would hype and then dismiss each successive game. To the point where he looked like a con man. If tone policing is okay then I think hype policing is valid too.

Wereroku

Would Tim have taken the same steps as Peter in a) overpromising and b) constantly saying what garbage his previous products were? I understand perfectly what Tim means by the problems with the tone of the backlash against Peter, but I don't think Tim would be anywhere near in the same hot water Mr. Molyneux finds himself in because their on-the-record statements are worlds apart.

His company overpromised on Spacebase DF-9 so I am sure they aren't against a little embellishment.

Of course it's overblown. We are talking about gamers. The real issue here has never been that his games don't turn out amazing. It was about the way in which he spoke about them. Not just promising features. I mean who cares about that? Those aren't on the back of the box. Read some reviews etc. It's the frequency with which he would hype and then dismiss each successive game. To the point where he looked like a con man. If tone policing is okay then I think hype policing is valid too.

He is a con man.

He has on more than one interview said he makes shit up with the sole purpose of said lie to make you buy the product.

E.G.

Banned
I would have hoped Schaefer would have more self awareness as the only other major name in Kickstarter that has failed to deliver anywhere close to his initital schedule.

Pretty much all the other big names who had projects with deadlines paste nailed them or came close from Wasteland and Shadowrun to Project Eternity.

DocSeuss

Criticism =/= trolls.

holy shit

Starting an article off with "are you a pathological liar" is, quite simply, bad form. It's certainly not good criticism, because it sets the entire tone of the conversation and comes off like an attack piece. The question should have come much later on in the interview.

Wasp

RockPaperShotgun shouldn't have focused their interview so much on Godus running over schedule, which is nothing exceptional.

If Peter deserves criticism it should be for the implausible stuff he said about Project Milo and Project Natal.

Chariot

Tim Schäfer is the wrong person to defend Molyneux, if there even is a right one. Spacebase DF-9 should be a loud argument.

I would have hoped Schaefer would have more self awareness as the only other major name in Kickstarter that has failed to deliver anywhere close to his initital schedule.

Pretty much all the other big names who had projects with deadlines paste nailed them or came close from Wasteland and Shadowrun to Project Eternity.

Shaefer, from the DFA Doc, does show self-awareness for the business side. He just doesn't really show any for the production side.

Top Bottom