• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tim Schafer defends Peter Molyneux.

jblank83

Tone policing is like the least constructive criticism ever. Ditto "uncouth" what the fuck does that even mean in this context. He opened with that question for a reason, he wanted to set the tone, it let Molyneux know the line of questioning he was in for, it was a great hook and a great opener. It was a brilliant choice.

It fucking means that professional writers and interviewers can get at the same content without initiating an adversarial interaction (like this one). "Pathological liar" is an unflattering characterization at best. Right off the bat, without word one from the interviewee, it shifted the focus from the issue, that issue being Molyneux's history of misleading claims and abrupt change of tone after product release, to the interviewer-interviewee interaction.

It wasn't brilliant. It was clumsy. Instead of laying facts out on the table to make a case, the reviewer gets too tangled up in the interaction. He cast accusations ('But you did this! But you did that! What about the money?! [laughs]') while Molyneux wriggled around. Because of that he doesn't even get to the point until mid-way through.

The interviewer comes off poorly in that light, and because of that too much of the conversation becomes about the interviewer and not the issue. Jim Sterling did a better job of analyzing Molyneux's pattern of behavior by calmly laying out the facts and saying "look, don't you see?"

Piers

Crap idea and great execution? Mediocre to good result.
Great idea and crap execution? Crap result

Can understand Tim's perspective but ultimately the nitty gritty matters more in the long run than chasing that dream.

Peter M...
Give them nothing, but take from them everything.

Peter M. defenders...
Aroo aroo aroo

Are people really defending Peter M though? Or are they just saying that he does deserve critique, but that the internet perhaps have passed a limit when it comes to it?

Broken Age never had that release date. That date was set for the initially budgeted $300,000 game, which in all likelihood would have had a fraction of the team size and a small handful of locations and probably no voice acting. When they ended up getting so much more, they scrapped that and set their sights much higher, thus necessitating a longer development time.

To be fair, that date was always bullshit and they knew it.

Jhotun

Neo Member
If you really think that then I don't know why you are still here or made this post. It is purposefully inflammatory to the point where I'm almost positive it is bait.
Not to mention the fact that what you are describing is very different than a Kickstarter that purposefully asks for less money than it requires knowing full well that the project will not deliver on the promises, which is exactly what happened with Goddess.

Yes, do not worry. I am just looking for the exit...

The only thing you can really say for sure about that initial delivery date, is that it was scrapped less then a day into the kickstarter, and anyone who tries to use it as an argument against Double Fine have completely missunderstood it.

I liked the idle thumbs discussion on the topic in their most recent episode

That RPS hit piece was embarassing. Its not like consumer frustration was apparent. It was cruel and unprofessional to assault Molyneux the way he did

This doesn't exonerate Molyneux in any way but sometimes there are better ways to hold people accountable for their mistakes

I am struggling to see what goals this assault campaign accomplished other than a selfish need to get revenge on Peter.

KPJZKC

Maybe Schafer should focus on his own companies PR.

Ah well, no skin off my nose, I'll certainly never be giving Double Fine money again.

Mismanagement, sure, but Is is possible to be more transparent that Tim though?

I didn't think they way they waiting for one Kickstarter to succeed before announcing some serious issues with their previous one was very transparent.

That turned me off Double Fine and then the Spacebase debacle created some straight up hostility.

I didn't think they way they waiting for one Kickstarter to succeed before announcing some serious issues with their previous one was very transparent.

That turned me off Double Fine and then the Spacebase debacle created some straight up hostility.

Seems like you misunderstood the situation then. There weren't any serious issues with the previous one. Issues, sure, but solveable ones.

Top Bottom