• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 World Cup to begin in November

Status
Not open for further replies.

jts

...hate me...
Go FIFA!

That will be the best pre-xmas period of all time.

All thanks to FIFA's most advanced cunting technology.

#therewillbehaters

kharma45

So World Cup in november and december, then in january and february the Africa Cup. Yeah, European leagues are going to be messed up in 22/23.

I wonder will anyone refuse to participate. Top teams with lots of international players will suffer so much. Swansea to win the PL.

jelly

The megacrops like Coca Cola,Nike etc will put out some cool ads and people will forget.

You're right that the slave labour should be the focus but it speaks volumes that many people are more concerned how this will affect euro football. This whole disgusting facade should have been halted when so many people started dying. But FIFA know they're firm as long as the sponsors are on board. If people really,really want to stop this world cup aim your bile at the companies keeping them afloat.

Well, Sony, Emirates 'Pot meet kettle' have bowed out but you could say lack of money and competition with those two. The others have all voiced concerns. Who knows but the heat will keep up, Qatar haven't showed they are willing to change, only we'll try, it takes time etc. Companies might not give a crap, use cheap labour for their products but the World Cup is so front and centre, some may think twice.

Hanmik

msXAy5G.jpg

LtEKSyR.gif

Boss Mog

Great, now we gotta interrupt the season for this farce. The World Cup is probably the thing I look forward to the most but I will definitely be boycotting this one. Qatar bought this World Cup hosting gig just like they're trying to buy a Champions League title with PSG. They used slave labor to build the stadiums, resulting in many deaths. The country is said to fund islamic terrorism as well. (Link1 Link2 Link3)

Did anybody see the Handball World Championships they hosted recently? Their team made it all the way to the final because they payed good players to become citizens and play for their team. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to do the same for their World Cup team. Thankfully I think FIFA has stricter rules when it comes to being eligible to play for a national team.

jts

...hate me...
I wonder will anyone refuse to participate. Top teams with lots of international players will suffer so much. Swansea to win the PL.
League breaks will be scheduled for sure.

No one will refuse to participate.

Maybe if some team doesn't qualify, their league will act salty and not cooperate.

itsgreen

Maybe if some team doesn't qualify, their league will act salty and not cooperate.

Don't be too sure about that.

The schedule is already extremely full in the PL. They need a month off before the WC so that is october. You can't start immediately after.

You can't easily win 2.5 months in a full schedule. And I doubt players think it is great to play without a break between seasons...

Lego Boss

Yeah and they won on the premise of a summer cup with AC'd stadiums...

I think it should be taken away...

This. Why give it to a nation that is not a footballing nation? I'm all for broadening the appeal of 'soccer', but surely everyone can see that Australia was the logical choice for this?

It's horrendous. After such a great WC in Brazil that the next two are ALREADY farces before a ball has been kicked, a stadium built, or a slave's death properly accounted for.

Hang your head in shame FIFA. I won't be watching this tournament.

kharma45

So for arguments sake the Premier League gets a two month break. So instead of finishing in May it finishes in July, and then restarts again in August? Don't see that being entirely feasible.

kiguel182

Doesn't the OP read like this is just a recommendation? The title makes it seem is decided already.

And yeah, I don't think european clubs will be okay with this, what a bad date.

faridmon

Cool. I have some friends in Kuwait. Can't wait to actually watch some matches there, since a lot of people will boycotting them.

mowho

Banned
Didn't Sony, one of the biggest sponsors, pull out, or threaten to pull out because of this debacle?

And I thought I also heard some Euro Nations threatened to not participate.. Or am I making this shit up?

So for arguments sake the Premier League gets a two month break. So instead of finishing in May it finishes in July, and then restarts again in August? Don't see that being entirely feasible.

There's nothing in the summer, though. Starting the 22/23 season in July is possible if you make the 21/22 season just a bit tighter. And it should be possible to finish the 23/24 season in time for the Euro 24 as well.

Of course this will be a huge burden for the players especially and should not be tolerated by FIFA. But yeah, FIFA...

I hope Europe and Latin America withdraw from this shit. The competition would be crippled and uninteresting.

It's on over christmas and a lot of my footie mates will be more interested in domestic things and christmas events to be that bothered about the WC and as they can't sit in the garden or pub garden to watch it they really aren't bothered at the moment at all. That's not to mention their anger at the disruption to the season and the rest of the effluent behind this debacle.

It's all anecdotal of course and i expect them to cave when the time comes but there is a lot of resentment amongst fans at the moment. Moreso than usual.

Hasney

I can only see this as a kind and generous move that gives the slaves 3 more months to work on the stadiums.

Seriously though, fuck them. Don't even wait until 2022 to boycott, I'm certainly not watching 2018.

jts

...hate me...
Don't be too sure about that.

The schedule is already extremely full in the PL. They need a month off before the WC so that is october. You can't start immediately after.

You can't easily win 2.5 months in a full schedule. And I doubt players think it is great to play without a break between seasons...

Slowly move the summer break over the next 7 years. You won't even be able to tell.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I hope Europe and Latin America withdraw from this shit. The competition would be crippled and uninteresting.
If it's for the date, in south America football players have to play their tournaments all through the summer because of FIFA dates, so it would be a nice change in fact.

If it is because of the place, I think football is universal and it's MUCH more interesting a Qatar World Cup, than a repeat of a world cup in England.

If it is because of the billion dollar leagues, well, whatever, just switch the dates and be done with it.

The only real concern is slavery, and I really don't know if FIFA is the institution who should be fighting against it. It's a sport.

But all in all, I think this world cup will be beneficial to Qatari people, because this common practices that has everyone outraged came to public attention BECAUSE of the world cup, so the Qatari government IS making beneficial changes for their own people and a huge exchange of cultures will be made.

I really don't see why the outrage; IMO the world cup should be played in everywhere, it's part of the fun.

n!smo

Neo Member
They're deliberately delaying their final decision regarding this matter, so much, that no other country will be able to host the world cup on short notice.

seanoff

I don't think its going to be the leagues that will really protest.

The big clubs, oh yeah, they are going to be mightily pissed off. FIFA are eventually going to piss them off so much they leave and form their own league and that league will be all powerful and command ALL the TV rights money and therefore all the best players.

This might be the catalyst for that often floated league. and those clubs do talk to each other about it because they know how much it would be worth.

Nesotenso

Everyone could see through FIFA when they quietly gave away the 2026 world cup to Fox and Telemundo without reopening bidding so that they wouldn't get sued.
Now I hope they get sued by host countries who bidded on the premise of a summer world cup. Fuck you FIFA.

jts

...hate me...
Just saw this on twitter
That is truly awful. But let's not think this is because of the World Cup.

This is because of a culture of slavery and poor conditions for workers.

Nothing would change if they didn't get the WC. Workers would die doing something else. We just wouldn't know. Which wouldn't make it better. It would make it worse.

By raising awareness and through cultural exchange, Qatar and other countries can slowly get better in how they treat other human beings.

We need not to shun them. We need to integrate them further and deeper. For a better world.

seanoff

But all in all, I think this world cup will be beneficial to Qatari people, because this common practices that has everyone outraged came to public attention BECAUSE of the world cup, so the Qatari government IS making beneficial changes for their own people and a huge exchange of cultures will be made.

I really don't see why the outrage; IMO the world cup should be played in everywhere, it's part of the fun.

All 300,000 Qataris will be delighted that they get treated even better than they do whilst having slaves work and die for them. YAY????

some places aren't big enough to host these events. Australia is about minimum size and wealth. The Olympics were too much for Greece, this is too much for Qatar, way too much.

and what huge exchange of culture do you expect? One of the most conservative Islamic places on the planet will suddenly become a beacon of tolerance. really????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom