• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Hillary Clinton Took Me Through Hell,’ Rape Victim Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

remist

she mentioned facts that might be relevant to the case? BURN THE WITCH.

Her willingness to slander a 12 year old may make her a good defense attorney and a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean she should be anywhere near public office.

Her willingness to slander a 12 year may make her a good defense attorney and a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean she should be anywhere near public office.
So we shouldn't have defense attorneys in politics or as judges?

She had to defend her client. Youre saying people with a certain job shouldn't be in politics.

riotous

Banned
Her willingness to slander a 12 year may make her a good defense attorney and a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean she should be anywhere near public office.

If she was unwilling to question the accuser's viability she'd have been being unethical and not doing her duty as a defense attorney. How again is it slander?

"the action or crime of making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation."

Although I understand where you are coming from; it's a personal decision how you feel about people that take that job. But what other legal system do you imagine? One where defense attorney's don't bring up the fact that 12 year old's aren't great witnesses?

Child sex cases are awful all around; and it's understandable how the woman feels about Hillary Clinton. I doubt there are many child victims who've had to go to court who have anything but disdain for the defense attorney's involved.

MartyStu

I am not sure we are in a position to verify those statements. But that is secondary to the bolded part.

Politicians are exactly that.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Her willingness to slander a 12 year old may make her a good defense attorney and a necessary evil, but that doesn't mean she should be anywhere near public office.

Right, her willingness to do her job and defend a man 40 years ago doesn't make her fit for public office...

Are you actually serious?

To make the statement she did, it would be knowing, not thinking. That is how I read it, at least.

The statement she made regarding a lie detector test, which aren't even admissible in court? A test he actually passed, in any case? That is thinking. Knowing would be based on objective facts.

K.Sabot

I've a copyright defense lawyer for as a compatriot (I don't hold it against him), and he says a lot of cases turn into an impersonal battle between defense and the prosecutor. I can totally see business get dirty when one or both sides treat their clients like tools to defeat the other side.

Certainly not great to learn that Hillary is capable of this, but I guess a job is a job. She may have changed over the years, but I don't think the business of politics is that much cleaner than the business of law. It's probably worse, honestly.

sjack

Banned
Okay so...

I'm pretty sure the psychological effects of the rape were more damaging than Hilary's defense of the perpetrator.

It's just having somebody who did that much damage to a person get off so easy really pisses me off. I can see that it's more the victim getting fucked over by the system rather than anything that was Clinton's fault, but it still leaves me with a bad taste in mouth and skeptical at the whole anti-rape image Clinton's trying to build around herself.

MartyStu

It's just having somebody who did that much damage to a person get off so easy really pisses me off. I can see that it's more the victim getting fucked over by the system rather than anything that was Clinton's fault, but it still leaves me with a bad taste in mouth and skeptical at the whole anti-rape image Clinton's trying to build around herself.

She did her job and set up a Rape Hotline in the state later.

Ummm...

I think, if you read your post again, you will understand why I think she would have had to know, rather than merely thought.

On the tape, she suggests that she personally thinks he did it, but he has claimed otherwise.

The statement she made regarding a lie detector test, which aren't even admissible in court? A test he actually passed, in any case? That is thinking. Knowing would be based on objective facts.
I think, if you read your post again, you will understand why I think she would have had to know, rather than merely thought.

Just guessing, but I would guess more than half of defense attorneys run into or deal with a client that they know or feel may be guilty. It sucks. Not happy about it at all. I mean, she does have a choice though. At the risk of the development of her career, if she was confident in his guilt, she could have stepped away from the case, as far as I know? Someone was right on point here about the hypocrisy in the thread.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BENGHAZI!

Also looks like the political cycle is starting and dirt is being dug up

Nonsense, next you'll be telling me the last time she made these accusations was during another election cycle.

All lawyers lie on behalf of their clients. Prosecution and defense.

Sad thing is, however is that given our justice system she might well be telling the truth and her own attitude and intellect are muddying her testimony.

foxtrot3d

Banned

So defending someone involved in a crime associates you with supporting said crime?

All lawyers lie on behalf of their clients. Prosecution and defense.

No they don't, they argue the law.

CDX

OK I listened to that youtube audio.

If you're upset that a rapist of a 12 year old didn't get punished harshly. I think people should be more upset by the lab & prosecutor, not Hillary Clinton.

The audio is mostly just Hillary describing how she got the main evidence, which was underwear with a hole cut in it, thrown out.

MartyStu

And that doesn't magically erase the shadiness behind her actions and own personal account behind this whole affair.

But there is literally no shadiness. Seems like she did her due-diligence.

To be clear, I do not like that this guy got off, and personally I think this as another stain on her image--even if I feel that that impression is illogical.

But objectively, she was perfectly ethical and in the grand scheme of things, maybe even moral in her actions.

entremet

So I guess blame the constitution? She was doing her job.

I'm not even a Hillary fan, but this typical swift boat tactics.

Dunno about those comments in the tapes but she was a criminal defense attorney, her job was to get the guy off or with the least minimum sentence possible.

Not to mention her personal opinion of her client's guilt or innocence (as suggested by the lie detector comment and laugh) is immaterial to her doing her job, which was defending him against the charge. She was also in the right having the underwear thrown out (since the improper disposal of the removed piece precludes the defense from having their own experts examine the evidence). If she presented false evidence though, that would be another thing entirely, but they would have to prove that with more than the word of the victim.

It honestly sounds to me like her client claimed innocence to everyone. She thought he was definitely culpable hence laughing at the polygraph being unable to spot whatever she could that would lead her to believe he is in a fact a rapist. But her beliefs would not interfere with her job and she represented him. Whether or not you want to get down on her for that is ultimately your choice but since then she's been a staunch advocate of women's rights. I'd rather the line of sight be on conservative women and Akin's ilk who are still throwing victims under the bus.

kirblar

It honestly sounds to me like her client claimed innocence to everyone. She thought he was definitely culpable hence laughing at the polygraph being unable to spot whatever she could that would lead her to believe he is in a fact a rapist. But her beliefs would not interfere with her job and she represented him. Whether or not you want to get down on her for that is ultimately your choice but since then she's been a staunch advocate of women's rights. I'd rather the line of sight be on conservative women who are still throwing victims under the bus.
100% agree. She did her job, she clearly didn't like it, and she made an effort to try and make up for it afterward.

MartyStu

Not to mention her personal opinion of her client's guilt or innocence (as suggested by the lie detector comment and laugh) is immaterial to her doing her job, which was defending him against the charge. She was also in the right having the underwear thrown out (since the improper disposal of the removed piece precludes the defense from having their own experts examine the evidence). If she presented false evidence though, that would be another thing entirely, but they would have to prove that with more than the word of the victim.

Where is the outrage for this? The prosecution and forensics dropped the ball hardcore and allowed this mofo to walk free.

Not that I am making a plea to emotion here, just pointing out the actual reason this is a thing.

“I would say [to Clinton], ‘You took a case of mine in ’75, you lied on me… I realize the truth now, the heart of what you’ve done to me. And you are supposed to be for women? You call that [being] for women, what you done to me? And I hear you on tape laughing.”

The victim’s allegation that Clinton smeared her following her rape is based on a May 1975 court affidavit written by Clinton on behalf of Thomas Alfred Taylor, one of the two alleged attackers, whom Clinton agreed to defend after being asked by the prosecutor.

This lady is a bit confused. Hilary did not take her case, she took the case of a defendant. And I'm not exactly sure what 'lied on me' means.

I understand this woman being upset but she's upset at the wrong people.

Brakke

Banned
Her first criminal defense case? Forty years is a long time during which to become a better person.

Really lame to call Hillary hypocritical based on this. For all anyone knows she's a totally different human now.

remist

So we shouldn't have defense attorneys in politics or as judges?

She had to defend her client. Youre saying people with a certain job shouldn't be in politics.

Being a defense attorney is definitely a negative in my book, if you are running for office. Edit: Also a prosecutor for that matter.

What I'd like to know from Hillary, if she even deigns to respond. Is on what evidence she was basing her statement that the child had falsely accused others before. I don't think knowingly lying on affidavit, like the victim claims is part of a defense attorney's job.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
My opinion on this "controversy" is that Hillary Clinton did some less than tasteful shit way back when and should be ashamed of it. Since it was quite a long time ago it's very possible she is and is no longer that kind of person.

As for my second opinion; I hope the GOP/her enemies finds more shit to smear her with so she decides not to run, or if she does decide to run it will be too much of a shit storm to actually get the nomination to run for the presidency.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to a possible 8 fucking years of the White female corporatist appeasing equivalent of Obama.

MartyStu

Being a defense attorney is definitely a negative in my book, if you are running for office.

What I'd like to know from Hillary, if she even deigns to respond. Is on what evidence she was basing her statement that the child had falsely accused others before. I don't think knowingly lying on affidavit, like the victim claims is part of a defense attorney's job.

We do not have enough information to come to a conclusion about this.

With that said, the fact that she was not brought up on charges by the victim or the state suggests that there was no malpractice.

royalan

It honestly sounds to me like her client claimed innocence to everyone. She thought he was definitely culpable hence laughing at the polygraph being unable to spot whatever she could that would lead her to believe he is in a fact a rapist. But her beliefs would not interfere with her job and she represented him. Whether or not you want to get down on her for that is ultimately your choice but since then she's been a staunch advocate of women's rights. I'd rather the line of sight be on conservative women and Akin's ilk who are still throwing victims under the bus.

My thoughts as well.

Quixzlizx

My opinion on this "controversy" is that Hillary Clinton did some less than tasteful shit way back when and should be ashamed of it. Since it was quite a long time ago it's very possible she is and is no longer that kind of person.

As for my second opinion; I hope the GOP/her enemies finds more shit to smear her with so she decides not to run, or if she does decide to run it will be too much of a shit storm to actually get the nomination to run for the presidency.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to a possible 8 fucking years of the White female corporatist appeasing equivalent of Obama.

1. She should be ashamed of doing her job?

2. WARREN/NADER 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom