• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Hillary Clinton Took Me Through Hell,’ Rape Victim Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
There was this guy who defended some guys who shot and killed 5 people in Boston . . . known as the Boston Massacre. He became president. I guess he must have been pro-murder.

I think we can all agree that Mob Justice is the only true way to deal with criminals, who came up with all this trial and due process crap? If the shoe fits I say hang em.

entremet

My opinion on this "controversy" is that Hillary Clinton did some less than tasteful shit way back when and should be ashamed of it. Since it was quite a long time ago it's very possible she is and is no longer that kind of person.

As for my second opinion; I hope the GOP/her enemies finds more shit to smear her with so she decides not to run, or if she does decide to run it will be too much of a shit storm to actually get the nomination to run for the presidency.

Sorry, but I'm not looking forward to a possible 8 fucking years of the White female corporatist appeasing equivalent of Obama.
I wonder what you thought of her husband. He was just as corporatist, but are you going to give him a pass because of the good economy?

Her first criminal defense case? Forty years is a long time during which to become a better person.

Really lame to call Hillary hypocritical based on this. For all anyone knows she's a totally different human now.

That's how I look it. Understanding the requirements, the pressure, and so forth, of being an attorney, it's just not something I can hold against her, especially since she's done a lot of good since. At the same time, it's another thing that's just very demoralizing and unfortunate about our judicial process. If Hilary truly knew her client was guilty, and wanted to do the proper, moral thing, she would not have continued with the case.

Quixzlizx

I think oversimplifying the decisions people make to "just doing their job" doesn't really help the discussion of a moral quandary.

In this case, it is, since she didn't do anything unethical with the facts presented so far. Unless you are conceptually against the adversarial legal system as an institution and all who participate in it.

Nerokis

Listen to anyone in a somewhat morally messy profession (health care, law, politics, etc.) casually talk about it, and chances are it will sometimes sound jarring to a person distant from that profession. This could be an example of that, I suppose, but seriously...talk about small potatoes. It wasn't a high profile case, Hillary was requested to do this particular job, every step she described was ridiculously basic. Is it really surprising she spoke of it in a lighthearted enough manner as to seem distant from the deeper, more human aspect of it all?

What I find more amazing is that she was 27 during the case. I'm sure it isn't that rare to find a 27 year-old lawyer, but it's always impressive to hear of someone so young operating at that level.

Brakke

Banned
I think oversimplifying the decisions people make to "just doing their job" doesn't really help the discussion of a moral quandary.

True that. What a ridiculous quip. As if her job wasn't one she was totally empowered to choose anyway, as if she couldn't have walked away?

That said, the evidence that she went above and beyond the call or engaged in malfeasance here is pretty weak. Past that, all we're doing is reading motivations into something that happened a long time ago on fractious evidence in the face of the most damning conclusion possible being "well she was shitty about rape once but isn't any more".

riotous

Banned
I don't think knowingly lying on affidavit, like the victim claims is part of a defense attorney's job.

The affidavit was on behalf of the defendant. Who the victim says is lying.

Hillary seams to believe he was lying as well, but there's no evidence she had knowledge he was lying.

If he was lying, then of course every time Hillary repeated his words for him she was repeating his lies. But that is the job of a defense attorney, to represent their clients argument.

Quixzlizx

True that. What a ridiculous quip. As if her job wasn't one she was totally empowered to choose anyway, as if she couldn't have walked away?

That said, the evidence that she went above and beyond the call or engaged in malfeasance here is pretty weak. Past that, all we're doing is reading motivations into something that happened a long time ago on fractious evidence in the face of the most damning conclusion possible being "well she was shitty about rape once but isn't any more".

Her "choice" to do her job only matters if she were choosing to do something immoral, which she wasn't. Only innocent alleged criminals are allowed to have lawyers? Wait, that doesn't even make sense.

She wasn't even being paid big bucks; she was asked by the prosecution to represent this guy.

hidys

I will be very angry if she gets the nomination for the presidency. There are many more talented individuals in the democratic party who deserve it.

I really don't like her.

Rajack

:;shrug:: I don't agree with the rapist getting a lighter sentence, but I certainly won't begrudge Hillary for doing the job she was assigned to do.

Brakke

Banned
Her "choice" to do her job only matters if she were choosing to do something immoral, which she wasn't. Only innocent alleged criminals are allowed to have lawyers? Wait, that doesn't even make sense.

She wasn't even being paid big bucks; she was asked by the prosecution to represent this guy.

Yes of course.

That it was her job is completely irrelevant to the things she did.

meanspartan

As an almost lawyer (taking the CA bar next month!) sounds like she was doing her job as she was professionally required to do.

As for the off-color remarks, get off your high horses. Dont tell me nearly all of you havent said things you wish you hadnt. This reeks of desperate smearing from backers of the party who's potential candidates are all losing to Clinton by 9 points or more in head to head polls.

besada

Banned
I am not, and have never been, a big fan of Hillary's. I won't be voting for her in the primaries if there's anyone even remotely interesting running against her.

That said, she was a public defender, whose job it was to defend the guilty and innocent alike. More to the point, it sounds an awful lot like the prosecutors were playing fast and loose with the evidence. Regardless, her job was to give rapists, murderers, and pedophiles the best defense possible. That's the way our court system works. And if you're a public defender, you don't get to say, "Nah, he's guilty, I won't defend him." Otherwise you stop being a public defender pretty quickly, and you lose the ability to help people being railroaded by over-eager prosecutors.

We'll see many more hatchet pieces, with people from the past who've inexplicably changed their minds about Hillary, and mysteriously appearing tapes that purport to shed light on ancient evil. I'd be surprised if we don't hear some more about Vince Foster, and how Hilldawg helped cover up Bill's rape.

The right has always hated her every bit as much, or more, than they did Bill. She's going to be a lightning rod for all the old stories, plus anything new (Benghaaaaaaazi!) they've managed to come up with.

meanspartan

Listen to anyone in a somewhat morally messy profession (health care, law, politics, etc.) casually talk about it, and chances are it will sometimes sound jarring to a person distant from that profession. This could be an example of that, I suppose, but seriously...talk about small potatoes. It wasn't a high profile case, Hillary was requested to do this particular job, every step she described was ridiculously basic. Is it really surprising she spoke of it in a lighthearted enough manner as to seem distant from the deeper, more human aspect of it all?

What I find more amazing is that she was 27 during the case. I'm sure it isn't that rare to find a 27 year-old lawyer, but it's always impressive to hear of someone so young operating at that level.

Exactly. Much ado about nothing.

xbhaskarx

Let's hear the tapes...

On the tapes, Clinton, who speaks in a Southern drawl, appears to acknowledge that she was aware of her client’s guilt, brags about successfully getting the only piece of physical evidence thrown out of court, and laughs about it all whimsically.

“He took a lie detector test. I had him take a polygraph, which he passed, which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs,” Clinton says on the recording, failing to hold back some chuckles.

WTF, she just lost my vote... there's no way I'm supporting a candidate with a Southern drawl.

riotous

Banned
Whichever. If you're a lawyer who works for the public defenders, you're obliged in the same way they are. My mistake, though.

Ah I see. So she basically WAS a public defender in this role; but she didn't work permanently as a public defender.

Dali

This is the last straw. I'm voting for the other guy come 2016. I'm sure they'll have no historyof ruining lives or making terrible decisions that more closely affect me on a daily basis.

Pretty much a hatchet piece.

Clinton comes out looking kinda shitty, but defense lawyers pretty much always look shitty.

Not their fault. Just the way the game is played.

just because this is how "the game is played" does not mean that Hilary Clinton is a good person.

Mike M

Nick N
Was it a legitimate rape? There are two kinds.
Seven, actually.

5005_11_the_for_would_only.gif

jackdoe

It's not disgusting that she did her job. It's disgusting that she casually laughs about helping a guilty rapist get off scott free and brags about it.

MartyStu

just because this is how "the game is played" does not mean that Hilary Clinton is a good person.

Not saying she is, but there is nothing HERE that indicts her.

It's not disgusting that she did her job. It's disgusting that she casually laughs about helping a guilty rapist get off scott free and brags about it.

She did not. She laughed about no longer trusting Polygraphs.

And more importantly, this tape is of two people casually talking shop. She sounded more fascinated with the entire thing than braggy.

kehs

Banned

Have you listened to the audio?

She's not laughing about getting the guy off. She's laughing at the incompetent techs throwing away evidence, and how how ridiculous the polygraph is, considering what she knew.

Link

The Autumn Wind
You can really tell who hasn't actually listened to the audio in this thread.

Not at all surprising to seem so many people interpreting Hillary's behavior as the mere performance of her job, as if such were the apogee of acting in an apolitical and emotionally inert manner. More than the criticism towards Hillary's supposed hypocrisy (which by itself has little or no worth, given that something that was done forty years ago is little indication of what she believes today), this highlights the problematic nature of advocacy as a medium for culturally and socially impactful though still remaining such free of the responsibilities of such strength. One hopes that someone in a position to argument against someone's supposed rape is doing so from a strong position of ethical concern, and simply dismissing those who engage in judicial matters from such requirements is, regardless of the contemporary state of things, quite a bad thing to defend.

So let me get this straight.

People are going to make a fuss over a lawyer doing their job by granting a person who was charged with a crime a proper defense as by granted by our Constitution?

Ya'll mother fuckers need a brain.

And it was 40 fucking years ago. Jesus, if you need to dig nearly half a century into someones garbage to make mud you're already fucked.

Kinyou

“I have been informed that the complainant is emotionally unstable with a tendency to seek out older men and engage in fantasizing,” Clinton, then named Hillary D. Rodham, wrote in the affidavit. “I have also been informed that she has in the past made false accusations about persons, claiming they had attacked her body. Also that she exhibits an unusual stubbornness and temper when she does not get her way.”

Clinton also wrote that a child psychologist told her that children in early adolescence “tend to exaggerate or romanticize sexual experiences,” especially when they come from “disorganized families, such as the complainant.”

The victim vigorously denied Clinton’s accusations and said there has never been any explanation of what Clinton was referring to in that affidavit. She claims she never accused anyone of attacking her before her rape.
Shouldn't that be something the court could have easily checked? What was the prosecutor doing?

I will be very angry if she gets the nomination for the presidency. There are many more talented individuals in the democratic party who deserve it.

I really don't like her.
Name recognition outweighs everything. In Michigan, a man whose name was known because he went on trial for murder almost won an election just because people recognized the name at the polls.

1. She should be ashamed of doing her job?

2. WARREN/NADER 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm all about that Elizabeth Warren ticket. I don't even care who the other name on the ticket is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It was her job 40 years ago. She was a public defender, they're supposed to defend people. It's what they do and it's an important job.

royalan

Have you listened to the audio?

She's not laughing about getting the guy off. She's laughing at the incompetent techs throwing away evidence, and how how ridiculous the polygraph is, considering what she knew.

Exactly. I actually took it as a sort of "This is when my faith in humanity died" sort of dark humor.

The important thing here is that at no point did Hillary know for a fact that her client raped that girl.

But, based on her exposure to the guy during the case, her gut told her that he likely could have.

So imagine her surprise when when the guy, whom she's pretty sure is guilty, then goes and aces his polygraph.

I imagine her laugh was similar in spirit to this one:

VBS9p9U.gif

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Why do I have the strange feeling that had she actually withdrawn back then, these same people would be ignoring the rape component and trying to now scandalize her for not doing her job and protecting a poor, defenseless defendant's constitutionally guaranteed right to counsel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom