• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing is for sure about season7 when it comes to Negans' death (assuming that all villains eventually die)...he is going to die very very very violently

COMIC SPOILER:
Hate to tell you this, but 59 issues after his introduction, Negan's still very much alive and is right at the center of the main storyline.

Guess AMC knows what they're doing.

Yes, they know how to run the show in order to grab ratings (unnecessary cliffhangers and fakeouts). They didn't need to mind you and could've resorted to competent storytelling. If how they treated this show early on is any indication then the quality of the show isn't on their list of priorities.

SamuraiX-

One nice, subtle touch I missed during my first viewing: Abraham locking eyes with Negan when he knew Lucille was coming but also discreetly making one last peace sign with his left hand toward Sasha.

:(

Amikami

Banned
Yes, they know how to run the show in order to grab ratings (unnecessary cliffhangers and fakeouts). They didn't need to mind you and could've resorted to competent storytelling. If how they treated this show early on is any indication then the quality of the show isn't on their list of priorities.

You know, not every showrunner and writer can be a genius. I'm not sure if there is any media so harshly judged as tv on this forum. Almost as bad as videogames on this forum. But for writers of this show that don't meet your standard, they do a fairly good job. Don't they get some credit?

I mean, I wasn't that big a fan of the cliffy neither but I thought this premiere made up for it because it was excellent. There are some in this very thread feeling like it was done better on tv than in the comics. Of course, it's all subjective which leads me to my next point.

Now that the rating are out, and they are pretty damn phenomenal, you guys ever stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the average viewer, you know, not those on neogaf, actually enjoy cliffhangers or are at least excited by them. The showrunners and writers did their job this season. They did good.

Your complaints are valid, but some of us are beating a dead horse. We get it, this is TWD and will be for awhile. You can just not watch the show if it really really bothers you which is also a valid response to bad writing.

I wanna know what happened to the woman whose bike Rick stole in the pilot.

Taking a bike from a legless woman. Not cool rick.

They released some webisodes before Season 2 about it I think.

If I remember rightly
She sacrificed herself so her kids could run towards an army outpost and the walking dead tore her apart until she was like next to nothing
then Rick stole her bike and shot her in season 1

Beefy

I do feel bad, considering the world shits on him every time he is on screen.

But... yea, they really didn't think about the "down the road" stuff when they cast him back in season 1 about if he could act, because he really can't.

I mean he wasn't even breaking a sweat when his dad was about to chop his own arm off.

Could be acting like he was told though? Seeing as he didn't cry or break down like the rest.

Could be acting like he was told though? Seeing as he didn't cry or break down like the rest.
Remember what happened last time he had to witness and experience an extremely traumatic experience? It's pretty clear that Carl's anger and "just get it over with" attitude is intentional

They lost me after last seasons finale.

They got me back after the season opener. Holy shit!

So....they didn't lose you at all, because you came back. I'm sure it's the same as them "losing" a ton of viewers this week. See y'all soon.

This is my take. Dude is cold as ice. But would someone PLEASE CUT HIS FUCKING HAIR. I thought Negan was gonna make a crack about it when he pulled the hat off.

_Ryo_

I wonder if there will be any more significant deaths of main characters this season. I actually kind of doubt it and since we got two on episode one, there won't be anymore until at least 2 seasons. Also IF there are gonna be any deaths this season I speculate that it is gonna be either Carol, Morgan, or Eugene.

Amikami

Banned
Chandler Riggs was most definitely the weakest link. Even if he was supposed to act cold, there is a better method of acting. He wasn't convincing at all. Particularly that teeth grinding scene when Glenn got the kiss of Lucille.

He's just sadly not that great an actor, and it's made even more salient by the fact that he was surrounded by exceptional acting in this episode especially.

Most likely.

It's not he can't do sad scenes because I think he's done them fairly well in the past such as the Lori death scene. However, Carl not completely breaking like the others and instead literally shaking with anger, zoning out a few times in S6 Finale just reinforces the possible idea that Carl's embracing what the world wants him to be, not what his Father wants him to be.

that's kind of another problem with the show. Carl has the appearance of a young man now, but it's been how many years into the apocalypse? 2 and a half? He's looks way older than he's supposed to be at this time doesn't he?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
that's kind of another problem with the show. Carl has the appearance of a young man now, but it's been how many years into the apocalypse? 2 and a half? He's looks way older than he's supposed to be at this time doesn't he?

They haven't really gave a timeline. Just done flash forwards like the opening last mid-season with Michonne and Rick living together.

Gorillaz

carol growing older is something I thought about last week too, it's going to be interesting to see how they tackle this because they barely mention the time difference from the start of the show to where we are now. flash forwards maybe?
Rewatching early scenes, it's crazy seeing how much the characters have changed

Also I never noticed how many cut scenes were in that trailer. Those scenes in the cemetery, the nursing home, the group hiding in a boarded-up building

yea I thought the same in terms of changes. Even weird seeing some of these characters

Revolver

This is my take. Dude is cold as ice. But would someone PLEASE CUT HIS FUCKING HAIR. I thought Negan was gonna make a crack about it when he pulled the hat off.

Yeah, his hair and that hat have been annoying me for ages. Daryl needs a haircut real bad too.

I'd managed to avoid spoilers all off season and didn't get the chance to watch until the day after it aired. I knew about Glenn in the comic but part of me thought they wouldn't go through with it. Was flipping channels yesterday and saw the actors that play Abe and Eugene on some talk show and immediately flipped past it but thought I'd been spoilered. Why else would they be on a show unless they were the ones that got killed. Figured they'd wuss out and save Glenn yet again. So it was a shock when they actually went through with it. Damn that was brutal.

dustyherb

One nice, subtle touch I missed during my first viewing: Abraham locking eyes with Negan when he knew Lucille was coming but also discreetly making one last peace sign with his left hand toward Sasha.

:(
Just finished rewatching the episode and noticed that as well. Sasha's face when she looks at Abe and sees the peace sign :(

They haven't really gave a timeline. Just done flash forwards like the opening last mid-season with Michonne and Rick living together.

I think it is presumed to be two and a half years. The opening last mid season was only like a few months after the Alexndria breach/infestation.

erawsd

How does CORL act in the comics, I wonder.

Comic Carl is probably more like that kid from Fear the Walking Dead than TV Corl, though not as stupid (or annoying). Hes constantly at odds with Rick and doesnt share his vision of what the world should be.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Comic Carl is probably more like that kid from Fear the Walking Dead than TV Corl, though not as stupid (or annoying). Hes constantly at odds with Rick and doesnt share his vision of what the world should be.

Comic Carl is also a fucking badass

Micerider

I think it is presumed to be two and a half years. The opening last mid season was only like a few months after the Alexndria breach/infestation.

Also : we can "somewhat" measure time with Judith's growth. She looks like an 18 to 24 months old baby now, to which you can add the 9 months pregnancy of Lori. So yeah. 2,5ish years seems to be a valid "guesstimation"

Interesting to see some being concerned about Carol's age (well. Melissa MC Bride). She's not the only ageing member of the cast. Lennie James (Morgan) is just as old and...Norman Reedus is barely 3,5 years younger than she is.

All of them should be able to go a few more years (if they last) without showing too much of age discrepancy compared to the show's timeline with a bit of smart editing, make-up.

But Carl and Judith (when she'd be too "old" to be replaced randomly from season to season) are an issue. If they survive... :p (well Carl will stop being an issue anyway with everyone used to see him as young adult ultimately)

Birbo

Just started watching the series over the summer, at first with just my wife, but then my 13 year old son started somewhere in season 2. Finally got caught up Sunday, just in time for the premier. That episode was probably the most tense, brutal hour of television. My wife was covering my son's face with a blanket so he couldn't see what was going on. Worst. Parents. Ever.

Also, I feel horrible for laughing way too hard at this, but...

cLSzIH7.jpg

Surfinn

But you don't get an army as big as Negan without him being a master reader of a person. I mean look how he broke Rick with the comment about how he was looking at him. I think you're under estimating Negan. Can you imagine the amount of people who would just say anything to him to get him to back off and leave them alone?

The only time Morgan says anything that could have made a difference is back in episode 12 of season 6 when he suggests letting the saviors know Alexandria is willing to attack might be enough to get what they want in helping hilltop. I think it's pretty clear this wouldnt have worked as Negan lays claim to literally everything. At some point in time this clash was going to go down.

Guys, I'm not saying there would be a perfect meeting between Rick and Negan, just that it would have been vastly better than defying him. Last episode was evidence of this. Do you really think he wouldn't have been less reasonable if Rick and co. hadn't murdered scores of their people?

The "I'll find you" is more gut-wrenching to me.

Steven Yeun delivered in this scene so big. His acting after he got hit was incredible and really sold how emotionally devastating this moment was.

Can someone remind me.. does he say the same thing in the comic? I remember him saying Maggie but I don't remember if he included "I'll find you". Still gives me goosebumps..

They apparently had a lot of unusable footage from the first episode. My guess is trying to make a show good on a restricted budget means you get a lot of shit that looks like trash because you didn't have enough time to get the scenes in place, which is why Frank got fired and is now suing them for like 200+ million.

It makes me sad thinking about Darabont and what this show could have been (as well as completely avoiding the Season 2 + Season 3 bullshit).

I just think some people can act, and some people can't. It wasn't as bad when he was a kid, because kid actors are almost always horrible (with notable exceptions like the Lady Mormont who is GOAT). His character is too important in the comics to kill him off early on, and at this point you can't really re-cast him, so now they are stuck with a major character who just can't act. Wouldn't be shocked if they either kill him off soon or move any type of major plot arc to some other character like they have done in the past with mixing and matching.

I feel bad, because I'm sure the kid knows he's out of his league, but he really does detract from any scene he is in.

Not sure if you're a comic reader so I'll spoiler this with regard to Chandler possibly being recast. Decent spoilers for what's to come.
They'll probably wait until All Out War is finished and then recast when Rick and co establish settlements and Carl moves to the hilltop. That's the most notable time jump I can think of from the comics.

Guys, I'm not saying there would be a perfect meeting between Rick and Negan, just that it would have been vastly better than defying him. Last episode was evidence of this. Do you really think he wouldn't have been less reasonable if Rick and co. hadn't murdered scores of their people?

Steven Yeun delivered in this scene so big. His acting after he got hit was incredible and really sold how emotionally devastating this moment was.

Can someone remind me.. does he say the same thing in the comic? I remember him saying Maggie but I don't remember if he included "I'll find you". Still gives me goosebumps..

He just cries out Maggie. Him stringing a sentence in the show was the ONLY part I didn't like. His skull was caved in, he isn't waxing poetic.

He just cries out Maggie. Him stringing a sentence in the show was the ONLY part I didn't like. His skull was caved in, he isn't waxing poetic.
Over a century ago, someone had a 13lb pipe blasted completely through their brain and skull, and then he walked to a doctor in town and asked for medical assistance

Human bodies are more resilient than you give them credit

Amikami

Banned
Guys, I'm not saying there would be a perfect meeting between Rick and Negan, just that it would have been vastly better than defying him. Last episode was evidence of this. Do you really think he wouldn't have been less reasonable if Rick and co. hadn't murdered scores of their people?.

Eh, He didn't seem so nice with Hilltop. They likely didn't really oppose too much since there aren't really any skilled fighters and no one has guns. Negan still beat a kid to death to show that he was serious. It was this story that was part of the negotiation to kill Negan. I understand what you're arguing, but there doesn't seem to have been any real way to avoid an eventual run in with Negan. Negan does what Negan does. he was gunna kill someone regardless. That's part of the strategy. The motorcycle gang said as much. It would have stayed at just one victim if Daryl hadn't lost it. Last episode was only evidence that Negan will do what it takes to break the people he wants to enslave. That's all we can really gather. The evidence presented by the show is that Negan kills if only to get the cooperation of the people he wants to affiliate. Rick and co already knew he wasn't exactly reasonable about that particular detail. You're a slave or you die.

ukas

Over a century ago, someone had a 13lb pipe blasted completely through their brain and skull, and then he walked to a doctor in town and asked for medical assistance

Human bodies are more resilient than you give them credit

I've seen that episode of Mysteries at the Museum.

Yeah the uncensored version is so good.

And it might be a while, but Negan will learn the same lesson.
Except it was just pointless posturing because if it wasn't for complete luck, they all would have died. It was the exact same situation as the premiere (Rick being tough, finds themselves in a fucked up scenario), except there was no Carol to save them

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
About Carl's haircut, I had heard one theory is, that the last time he got a haircut from, was from his mom.

Back in Season 1, Episode 3 we saw Carl getting a haircut from his mom, Lori. As the youngster fidgets in his seat, Lori tells him to sit still, before Shane pipes up and tells him "You think this is bad, wait till you start shaving. That stings. That day comes, you'll be wishing for one of your mama's haircuts." To which little Carl replies "I'll believe that when I see it."

gntZLcN.gif

Surfinn

Eh, He didn't seem so nice with Hilltop. They likely didn't really oppose too much since there aren't really any skilled fighters and no one has guns. Negan still beat a kid to death to show that he was serious. It was this story that was part of the negotiation to kill Negan. I understand what you're arguing, but there doesn't seem to have been any real way to avoid an eventual run in with Negan. Negan does what Negan does. he was gunna kill someone regardless. That's part of the strategy. The motorcycle gang said as much. It would have stayed at just one victim if Daryl hadn't lost it. Last episode was only evidence that Negan will do what it takes to break the people he wants to enslave. That's all we can really gather. The evidence presented by the show is that Negan kills if only to get the cooperation of the people he wants to affiliate. Rick and co already knew he wasn't exactly reasonable about that particular detail. You're a slave or you die.

Is there a time when
he kills or tortures someone that's not in a response to something someone said or did in the comic? Because I don't remember that ever happening.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
theory fits to me, it's not like the lady in Alexandria died immediately. There was ample time for Carl to get a haircut, even just a trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom