• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I think the big issue with this show is a mix of spanning out the narrative so it does surpass the source materials (the comics) mixed with writing for the large ensemble cast. Since the comics are still on-going, the writers have to find ways of focusing more on character development instead of plot development. This is polar opposite of something like Game of Thrones in which the source material is "somewhat" complete i.e. the story (even though the books are not done). This allows the writers to focus more-so on different characters arc interweaved with the overarching plot development. I think this episode worked is because we got a taste of that format in which we focused on 3 different groups (Saviors, Hillside, Oceanside) each contributing a little bit to the plot of the oncoming season finale.

It starting to sound like if ratings and viewers keep falling due to dull filler episodes, the writers need to decide if they should introduce an entirely new plot point/story point or keep moving forward from the comics with Kirkman focusing on progressing the story of the show over the comics.

Well said. I think people would complain less about the pacing if they didn't go multiple episodes without seeing at least a little movement on all the groups. It's work so much better when we get even 2 or 3 little scenes to remind us what a group is doing. Not seeing certain characters for 4 episode stretches is pretty obnoxious.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 10.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 12: 10.2 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 10.7 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 14: 10.3 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 15: 10.5 million 4.9 A18-49

L+SD ratings:

Season 7

Episode 1: 17.0 million 8.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.5 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 3: 11.7 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 11.4 million 5.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 11.0 million 5.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 10.4 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 7: 10.5 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 8: 10.6 million 5.1 A18-49

Episode 9: 12.0 million 5.7 A18-49
Episode 10: 11.1 million 5.3 A18-49
Episode 11: 10.4 million 5.0 A18-49
Episode 12: 10.2 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 13: 10.7 million 4.9 A18-49
Episode 14: 10.4 million 4.7 A18-49
Episode 15: 10.5 million 4.9 A18-49

Do you have the S6 numbers to compare?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Do you have the S6 numbers to compare?

L+SD ratings:

Season 6

Episode 1: 14.6 million 7.4 A18-49
Episode 2: 12.2 million 6.2 A18-49
Episode 3: 13.1 million 6.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 13.3 million 6.8 A18-49
Episode 5: 12.4 million 6.2 A18-49
Episode 6: 12.9 million 6.5 A18-49
Episode 7: 13.2 million 6.7 A18-49
Episode 8: 14.0 million 7.0 A18-49

Episode 9: 13.7 million 6.8 A18-49
Episode 10: 13.5 million 6.6 A18-49
Episode 11: 12.8 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 12: 12.8 million 6.1 A18-49
Episode 13: 12.5 million 6.0 A18-49
Episode 14: 12.7 million 6.0 A18-49
Episode 15: 12.4 million 5.8 A18-49
Episode 16: 14.2 million 6.9 A18-49

Yeah, I really have no idea what the tone of those scenes with the womens' group is supposed to be. They're robbing a desperate group of their only defenses, but it's played just like good ol' Rick & Company pulling off another one of their incredible schemes. Grandma voices very legitimate concerns, takes a punch to the face, and suddenly I guess everyone is okay with the situation?

When Rick's squad killed all the Saviors at the satellite station, it felt very morally ambiguous. This just felt like the writers wanted to excuse him doing something pretty awful.
Well maybe not every feels cowed like the Grandma? Saviours killed all their men. I'm sure some of them want a chance at redeeming themselves and not live like hermits. The biggest threat to all these communities are the saviours, and Rick believes that he's doing Oceanside a favor. Cindy certainly feels that way. And they're not desperate, innocent little village. They have a functioning community and they were ready to kill Tara just because she knows about them.

Besides I think some of them will eventually join Rick for the war.

tootie923

depending on Eugene's actions in the season finale, I might change my fucking avatar

Don't make Abe cry!

w630_072514abrahamcries-1406327395.jpg

ISee

depending on Eugene's actions in the season finale, I might change my fucking avatar

To be fair, Eugene is at least consistent. He is a coward, a liar, smart and willing to do and say anything just to survive.

Negan on the other side. He is so inconsistent. The last episode completely finally destroyed the character for me. "Oh Sasha you tried to kill me and you murdered some of my men, how funny. I may use you as tool against Rick, but let me kill one of my own instead of punishing you."
And it's not the first time. Negan is more willing to kill his own people then ricks.

Chumley

Banned
To be fair, Eugene is at least consistent. He is a coward, a liar, smart and willing to do and say anything just to survive.

Negan on the other side. He is so inconsistent. The last episode completely finally destroyed the character for me. "Oh Sasha you tried to kill me and you murdered some of my men, how funny. I may use you as tool against Rick, but let me kill one of my own instead of punishing you."
And it's not the first time. Negan is more willing to kill his own people then ricks.

He doesn't give a shit about being consistent or even making sense. He thinks he's god and that he can't be hurt or killed by anyone. There was more internal logic with him in the comics but even there he's a walking contradiction in a lot of ways.

sinkfla87

I believe it was the AV club that first thought of this, but what's interesting is it is VERY possible that Negan sent David in there on purpose knowing what he would do and therefore leading him to show Sasha that he is a "reasonable man and not a monster" by "saving" her. Negan likes to manipulate the situations at any given time to influence people's perception of him and make them rethink their decisions. It's probably how he's got as many followers as he has. Think about it, David could have seen that Negan has multiple wives and thought "oh shit, you're like me! So what do you want me to do?!"

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've been slowly catching up with the latest episodes. Yeah, it's as lame as pretty much everybody else claims, but crazy as it sounds, I think it's a significant step up over the first part, which was as exciting as seeing paint dry.

That said, there's no way I can see the next episode ending with an explosive confrontation unless things go sideways pretty early. Rick still has to coordinate with the Kingdom and the Garbage Pail Kids and both may want to move at unison before the siege (if that's the plan). And then there would be an intense battle. Nope, we are going to get cockblocked once again and people will scream at their TVs and swear they'll be dropping the show, never to return (until next season).

I'd like to be proven wrong, but I can't see it in any other way.

At least this season gave us some pretty cool walkers instead of the usual rotten wanderers.

ArmCg99.gif
RYHnhnN.gif
yEoSnxK.gif

Bonus garbage-tier CGI:

0QTH3Gq.gif

WyLTCEr.gif

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Can you make a GIF of Tara flipping off that girl in Oceanside from this past TWD? That was so amazing :lol

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Has anyone bothered to watch the "Passage" webseries / series of mini episodes they've been airing during the commercial breaks?

Well, all of the parts have been released, so now you can!

The characters behaved strangely and the story wasn't all that compelling, but I thought it was okay. They only had 12 minutes to tell their story in, so I wasn't really expecting anything amazing (especially given the history of The Walking Dead's webisodes).

I assume they're going to introduce the surviving characters on the main show (Fear the Walking Dead) like they did with the airplane short, because if not, I don't see what the point was.

Next episode is gonna be mad hype. Peeps gonna die. Will pop off in the lat 15 mins I bet and leave us thirsting.

Has anyone bothered to watch the "Passage" webseries / series of mini episodes they've been airing during the commercial breaks?

The characters behaved strangely and the story wasn't all that compelling, but I thought it was okay. They only had 12 minutes to tell their story in, so I wasn't really expecting anything amazing (especially given the history of The Walking Dead's webisodes).

I assume they're going to introduce the surviving characters on the main show (Fear the Walking Dead) like they did with the airplane short, because if not, I don't see what the point was.
thoughtitwasokaytoo/10

RPS37

So the episode I complained was a filler episode was definitely not a filler episode but I still feel like it was a filler episode. (The one with Tara and the ladies)

I'm still not sure what the point was in bringing the airplane girl onto the show if she was only going to be in two episodes.

So the episode I complained was a filler episode was definitely not a filler episode but I still feel like it was a filler episode. (The one with Tara and the ladies)

It was pretty clear that the women village would be important eventually. The "it's a secret" thing was just something that the producers created so they could ignore this whole thing till the end of the season.

HeySeuss

I think he will become a hero. Just worried we wont see anything about it till next season because they might just cock block us again.

I can see that happening. He's a coward but he's an opportunistic one. He might not get the chance with only one episode left unless he gets killed off making a sacrifice. But I can see him sitting back and seeing where the pendulum is swinging during the battle to bide his time more until he's sure. Besides, if he plays his cards right he might be a top guy for the Saviors without Negan.

The walkers are turning into blobbish mush. How long does it take for a body to decay? It's only a matter of time before every walker in the US just turns into goo.

Don't make Abe cry!
he's dead so his troubles are over.
well then this would in turn mean the character development he's had was weightless. that episode of him saving Tara and helping Glenn & Nicholas escape while everybody ate Chris

I thought that was supposed to be the beginning of him slowly doing what's right.
well to be fair about that, it is just something about Negan that he's strongly against rape. i don't know if the show showed that before but they took this as the time do that.

Have faith my friend. Eugene is playing the safe bet for now but when he sees the opportunity he will take it.
well my friend we'll see. a friend of mine in the bronx invited me to come watch the finale with him at his crib. this whole half season i've just been watching the next day on amc.com but perhaps i will join him
Negan sent David in there on purpose knowing what he would do and therefore leading him to show Sasha that he is a "reasonable man and not a monster" by "saving" her.
that can't be true coz if Negan knew this guy was a rapist then he would've killed him or taught him a lesson already. I don't think he would've been left alive to try again someday or something like that if Negan already knew

Top Bottom