• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 7, Part 2 – Sundays on AMC

Solo

why would she expose herself like that to a group of people, why not just chill behind the car and shoot them from behind?

What's hilarious is that she was right beside Daryl and Co. before her unnecessary lap around that car. Like.....who were you expecting? You were literally right beside them 2 seconds ago.

painey

why would she expose herself like that to a group of people, why not just chill behind the car and shoot them from behind?

how about the fact that shes running from behind the car, and they are in clear sight and just 4 feet away. it's just dumb. so much about this show is dumb. i might just wait for the next season to come out and binge rather than watching this shit week by week.

zewone

I'm glad to see some reasonable people in this thread rather than the others who just dismiss all negative criticism of this shows as "haters" or "whiners".

This episode was incredibly stupid.

I don't know why I keep watching this show. Well, I do know why, but I think I'm reaching my limit of bad TV. I love the characters and would like to watch their story unfold, but the writers and the showrunner really make enjoying the show very hard.

bigedole

I enjoyed the finale. Had some good moments and it sets the stage clearly for what's coming next. This was definitely a weaker season overall, but I think it was important to establish the Saviors as a credible threat. We were introduced to 3 new colonies in addition to the Saviors this season and it would've been really hamfisted if they had just all decided to work together at the drop of a hat.

giphy.gif

lol

They really struggled to sell the trash peoples escape with that puny smoke grenade.

So they just glossed over Gregory leaving Hilltop and Maggie being leader now?

Oh, and Ezekiel, come on, I get you have a shtick to help your people cope but you can drop that during a life-or-death shootout and swap that sword for a machine gun

CSJ

They really need to hire someone with knowledge to choreograph how people actually engage with guns. You don't have the entire cast/extra's out in the open, running headless in every direction without taking cover. Shit, there's one thing that could've made it a bit more grounded would've been that, then getting flanked by the hilltop/kingdom.

I don't know what the rush was, but that ending was exactly that; budget?
It certainly wasn't a lack of episodes. Maybe it was the Tiger CGI integration! :p

jett

D-Member
So they just glossed over Gregory leaving Hilltop and Maggie being leader now?

Oh, and Ezekiel, come on, I get you have a shtick to help your people cope but you can drop that during a life-or-death shootout and swap that sword for a machine gun

I liked Ezekiel better when I just thought he was a crazy person. Being a stable individual that just puts this on for show makes no sense.

Did anyone gif the bit where Rosita gets shot and Tara(?) runs in? When I watched the episode I could've sworn it looked like Tara shot her.

Theorry

They really need to hire someone with knowledge to choreograph how people actually engage with guns. You don't have the entire cast/extra's out in the open, running headless in every direction without taking cover. Shit, there's one thing that could've made it a bit more grounded would've been that, then getting flanked by the hilltop/kingdom.

I don't know what the rush was, but that ending was exactly that; budget?
It certainly wasn't a lack of episodes. Maybe it was the Tiger CGI integration! :p

They made it abit better. In the early seasons they couldnt hit shit and then sometimes they lined up perfect headshots with assault rifles from moving cars haha.

Arjayes

Banned
No one saw it coming because it was contrived. They didn't foreshadow anything or drop any dumb hints anywhere. It could have been anyone with the kind of idiotic writers they have on this show.
Ah, okay so it wasn't really hinted at. However, her reasoning was more than enough for me to not consider it contrived. Literally all she says is "we don't bother, we just take." so they took Rick's guns and got a better offer from Negan so they switched sides. Again, they're just taking so for me it doesn't make since how she would feel obligated to serve anyone.

Also, people say Rick is dumb but he was desperate. He got turned down by both groups he tried to make an alliance with and he only had those trash people (that he found by accident). If they're not there he has nothing... sure he shouldn't trust them but even if he doesn't they far outnumber him; which is also why they lost the upper-hand so fast.

As for why no one shot that tiger, honestly, having been to Afghanistan (just speaking for myself) if I'm in a gunfight and there are men with guns vs a tiger chewing on a guy's face, I'm gonna focus on the guys with guns and maybe keep an eye on the tiger to make sure it doesn't get close. However, considering how many people were there, you're right. Probability says SOMEONE would have shot the tiger. My gripe was how there are all those people and eyes but no one saw the tiger.

What bothers me is why didn't Negan or the trash people tell Alexandra to drop their weapons? I get that he asked for "every gun and drop of lemonade" and Rick said no but first order of business is to disarm your captives. Technically Rick still could have said no but I would've like to see an effort to disarm them. Next is who the hell brings a stick to an all-out gunfight Morgan? Come on. Bring more bullets or another gun. Daryl ran out of bullets and picked up another gun. Morgan ran out and said "It's morphin' time!". The military vehicle they drove's beds were covered in tarp (ie not bulletproof) anyone in the back would have died. Also, NEGAN ROLLS DOWN HIS BULLETPROOF WINDOW TO FLIP THE BIRD. Could have easily died during that. Lastly, how the hell did Michonne win? She was being choked out and her feet weren't even planted on the ground.

Cause Rick moves between two states; coward Rick and all-in Rick. We started the season with coward Rick and got to all-in Rick, I wouldn't be surprised by the end of next season if something goes horribly wrong and it's back to coward Rick again. There is never any real growth to his character IMO.

BRING BACK SHANE!

The issue is they are purposefully dragging out seasons to milk the show as much as possible. S6 was used to build up Negan, S7 was used to build the War, and now most likely S8 will be all out War. That's 3 seasons/48 episodes dedicated to one villain. Any good writing staff could have trimmed that down by half.

Episodes where characters get their own arcs with no pay off. Daryl gets tortured for entire episode. No payoff. Tara gets stuck on a beach. They get the guns to setup the biggest predictable twist of the show. No pay off because for some reason the trash group needs to come back next season. Carol and Morgan are forced to kill again. No payoff other then killing nameless henchmen. Sasha goes on a suicide mission to kill Negan but instead just kills herself making the situation worse instead of just killing Negan. Making her entire motive pointless. Carl went from being a badass MF going into enemy territory killing Negans men to disappearing for damn near the rest of the season.

Dwight is literally the only character that got decent storytelling and progression the entire season. I wish they gave him a little more meat in the finale but i'm interested in his direction for next season.

Season opener was still surprisingly fantastic but the rest of the season wasn't consistent unfortunately. Handful of cool moments at best. And i laugh at anyone getting hyped for War next season. We've been down this road numerous times. We'll get 2 maybe 3 action beats at best with a boatload of character development that goes nowhere.

I don't expect TWD to be a documentary by any means, but there's just too much shoddy writing going on for my taste. I have no problem with Siva magically knowing who to attack and who not to, and I'm fine with the main cast having gun-fu superpowers. It's a show based on a comic, after all.

But the one thing about last night that I just can't abide is this elaborate setup of getting zombie-Sasha into the coffin. It's just another example of sloppy tentpole writing. I mean, how convenient was it that Negan just happened to have a coffin in his convoy for Sasha to inconspicuously jump into at the last minute, with Negan's permission, no less, so that she could execute the brilliant plan of taking her suicide pill that Eugene magically kept around after making it for one of Negan's wives however long ago, knowing that Negan would be the one to open the coffin and not Simon or a random lackey? What was Sasha going to do if there was no coffin for her to ride in? What if she had died, but not yet turned when Negan opened the coffin? I don't think having her limp, dead body come spilling out the coffin would have done much to diffuse the standoff that Sasha knew was coming.

As for the season as a whole- I have to agree with the sentiment that it's getting ridiculous how much AMC is stretching the source material. As a point of reference, COMIC SPOILERS:
the comic's version of last night's battle, while smaller in scope and different in circumstance, happens immediately after Negan guts Spencer- as Negan and his men are leaving Alexandria. Think about that. How much filler have we had to endure since Negan killed Spencer in the show?

I don't expect a 1:1 mapping of the source material, but damn.

The issue is they are purposefully dragging out seasons to milk the show as much as possible. S6 was used to build up Negan, S7 was used to build the War, and now most likely S8 will be all out War. That's 3 seasons/48 episodes dedicated to one villain. Any good writing staff could have trimmed that down by half.
That's not actually true. Season 6's first half was the massive horde, Morgan's return, and the Wolves. Second half was introducing the Saviors, the Hilltop, the outpost massacre

Season 6's pacing was actually pretty great. This season was horrible in comparison

Lightningboalt

Neo Member
Personally my suspension of disbelief was destroyed by the mere suggestion that the moronic garbage people could somehow be coherent enough to both explain Rick's plan and barter a new one with Negan.

SArcher

Banned
I only watched the season premiere and the finale and I see it took them 16 episodes to adapt 15 issues of the comic meaning they must have had a lot of filler in there. In an ideal world all this would have been condensed into the first 8 episodes and then All Out War would have been the second half of the season. Instead, the war with Negan will most likely be a full 16-episode thing (if not more). Sigh.

zewone

I don't expect TWD to be a documentary by any means, but there's just too much shoddy writing going on for my taste. I have no problem with Siva magically knowing who to attack and who not to, and I'm fine with the main cast having gun-fu superpowers. It's a show based on a comic, after all.

But the one thing about last night that I just can't abide is this elaborate setup of getting zombie-Sasha into the coffin. It's just another example of sloppy tentpole writing. I mean, how convenient was it that Negan just happened to have a coffin in his convoy for Sasha to inconspicuously jump into at the last minute, with Negan's permission, no less, so that she could execute the brilliant plan of taking her suicide pill that Eugene magically kept around after making it for one of Negan's wives however long ago, knowing that Negan would be the one to open the coffin and not Simon or a random lackey? What was Sasha going to do if there was no coffin for her to ride in? What if she had died, but not yet turned when Negan opened the coffin? I don't think having her limp, dead body come spilling out the coffin would have done much to diffuse the standoff that Sasha knew was coming.

As for the season as a whole- I have to agree with the sentiment that it's getting ridiculous how much AMC is stretching the source material. As a point of reference, COMIC SPOILERS:
the comic's version of last night's battle, while smaller in scope and different in circumstance, happens immediately after Negan guts Spencer- as Negan and his men are leaving Alexandria. Think about that. How much filler have we had to endure since Negan killed Spencer in the show?

I don't expect a 1:1 mapping of the source material, but damn.

I don't necessarily think her plan was to become a zombie and kill Negan.

She didn't want to be used as collateral, because that would hurt the group. I think she wanted to take herself out of the equation.

You definitely see Morgan picking up another gun after killing one savior with his staff/spear so that complaint doesn't hold water.

Everything with the tiger made no sense, they're also not really giving her very much screen time so I'm not sure why they bothered to include her. I found it hilarious that she jumped in from off screen completely silently with no one aware.

Negan wasn't even moving that fast, surely he saw her coming when she pounced a dude behind him like 5 seconds after he got away.

Flo_Evans

What did the garbage people even get from Negan?

I loved how everyone is busting out cool Borne Identity moves but Rick still stands there trying to bargain with head garbage lady.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The reason why the trash people are such incredibly terrible characters is that their entire existence doesn't make sense.

Why exactly do they talk and act the way they do? They were normal people who didn't live in a garbage dump in a world without zombies like three years ago.

I don't necessarily think her plan was to become a zombie and kill Negan.

She didn't want to be used as collateral, because that would hurt the group. I think she wanted to take herself out of the equation.

That's fine- but it really does nothing to address how ridiculous the whole setup was.

The reason why the trash people are such incredibly terrible characters is that their entire existence doesn't make sense.

Why exactly do they talk and act the way they do? They were normal people who didn't live in a garbage dump in a world without zombies like three years ago.

Yet another example of the showrunners straying too far from the source material and falling flat on their face as a result.

Flo_Evans

Its strange/dumb but its pretty much the same with the kingdom. Coping mechanism.

tjohn86

This show has been terrible for a long time now. I don't really understand why I'm still watching.

No one even tried to shoot the tiger?

They need to figure out the pacing. It was god awful this season, and much worse than in previous years.

You would think the business decision would be to just come up with better stories to stretch it out, not slow the series down and have more filler to stretch it out.

Its both one of the most popular shows on TV yet they don't get a budget?

I like TWD but man...That was some ridiculous shit in this last episode.

That shoot out was directly from every first person shooter ever where none of the main cast dies.

Negan should've died from that damn Tiger.

The garbage people all deserve to die next season because they cannot be trusted.

Zomba13

What did the garbage people even get from Negan?

I loved how everyone is busting out cool Borne Identity moves but Rick still stands there trying to bargain with head garbage lady.

I think 10 people? They talked about people and how they are a valuable commodity or resource but the agreement was originally for 12. I think. I dunno. They seemed to have plenty of people living in that dump. Maybe sex slaves? With how the leader was all "I get to fuck rick when this is done ok?".

Either way, trash people were offered 10 MacGuffins to turn on Alexandria and they took it because that was 10 more MacGuffins than Alexandria offered.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
The trash people are the worst thing to ever come out of this show. Which makes sense because they are not in the comic.

This sort of meandering long form story is more suitable for a graphic novel. It's time the show split from that. They should learn from the games and other media - use it for inspiration but be concise and self contained. Wrap things up. This isn't the Simpsons or Futurama where you have the flexibility of making tons of episodes. You need to resolve things and finish these characters journeys. Own the themes you're exploring and finish with an emphasis on them.

At this point, a large portion of your audience tunes in out of habit and not out of passion, affection or even curiosity. Time to put this zombie down.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I have to hand it to the writers though, at least they handled Sasha's end well. That was the only redeeming aspect of this episode.

Too bad the immediately take a giant shit on all that though. I was like, "wait a minute - what happened to the firefight that distraction gained them and why is everyone captured all of a sudden and why does Rick still have a gun on him??"

Top Bottom