• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Titans”: Ryan Potter Cast As Beast Boy In Live-Action Series For DC Digital Service

Ross61

ryan-potter-beast-boy.jpg

Ryan Potter (Big Hero 6) has been cast as a lead opposite Brenton Thwaites, Anna Diop and Teagan Croftin the new live-action series Titans, from Greg Berlanti, Akiva Goldsman, Geoff Johns, Sarah Schechter and Warner Bros TV, which is slated to premiere in 2018 as part of the inaugural slate of a new DC-branded direct-to-consumer digital service. He will play the series regular role of Garfield “Gar” Logan (aka Beast Boy).
http://deadline.com/2017/10/titans-ryan-potter-cast-as-beast-boy-in-dc-live-action-series-digital-service-1202190537/

Slayven

Says a lot about asian casting that the last big thing he did was 3 years ago.

And the dude is good, charming, can do action, and has great comedic timing.

Awesome casting, but... what's this about the show being on a new DC steaming TV service? Are they really doing that? I may have just missed the news until now, but WTF?

snap

Banned
Awesome casting, but... what's this about the show being on a new DC steaming TV service? Are they really doing that? I may have just missed the news until now, but WTF?

where have you been?

young justice s3 is also exclusive to it

they haven't said much but it's expected that it'll have all the DC animated stuff, Titans, maybe the CW stuff and some comics

Loxley

Yep, coming next year. WB/DC certainly have more than enough content for a streaming service, especially if they plan on producing more original shows like Titan.

Some Nobody

They're trying really hard to kill Young Justice S3 now that they've brought it back, lol.

Anyway, this is definitely a casting choice. I'll watch the first ep to see how the show shakes out.

TripleBee

If WB puts all their movies on there quick (like 3 months after theater or something) and puts all their animated movies etc.. up.

I'd consider signing up. This looks like it could be good.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
On point casting

What kinda budget are they working with?
No idea what the actual budget is but the show is one of the two exclusive series launching their new platform. They’re gonna have to dump some serious cash into it if they want people to sub to the platform.

No idea what the actual budget is but the show is one of the two exclusive series launching their new platform. They’re gonna have to dump some serious cash into it if they want people to sub to the platform.
That's what I was thinking

Gonna need more than flash's fx team

Ponn

Banned
Wasn't he trying to be cast as a robin a few years ago?.

Yea I think so, he did a video of him doing stunts and stuff right? He would make a pretty damn good Tim or slightly older Damian. He’s still a great cast as Beast Boy though. I have really high hopes for this show, it’s shaping up good.

border

What in god’s name is a DC Streaming service going to show? Even a Marvel Service seems like it would be stretched thin for content.

kmfdmpig

If WB puts all their movies on there quick (like 3 months after theater or something) and puts all their animated movies etc.. up.

I'd consider signing up. This looks like it could be good.

This will be just DC content, from what I've heard. My worry is that it casts such a narrow net. With something like CBS streaming there are shows that appeal to lots of different tastes, so it might make sense for a family to rationalize that. For this it's such a niche offering, like the WWE streaming service, that if you're not fully on board with DC it won't have any interest for people.

I wonder why WB didn't create a WB or even a WB + Turner Broadcasting service. That would have a wide appeal and could be an actual player in the streaming market.

TDLink

I think the big problem is, yeah it will have a decent back catalog. And YJ S3 and Titans for new shows... but the other current DC shows are already airing on CW (and Gotham on FOX)... and that's not going to change. They even have a new one debuting on CW in a few months. And all of the CW stuff signed a deal with Netflix to have the shows go up on there pretty fast just earlier this year. So the service won't hold a ton of value for most people.

Ross61

I think the big problem is, yeah it will have a decent back catalog. And YJ S3 and Titans for new shows... but the other current DC shows are already airing on CW (and Gotham on FOX)... and that's not going to change. They even have a new one debuting on CW in a few months. And all of the CW stuff signed a deal with Netflix to have the shows go up on there pretty fast just earlier this year. So the service won't hold a ton of value for most people.
What if the all the shows are up next day on the streaming service.

kmfdmpig

What if the all the shows are up next day on the streaming service.

CW is half owned by CBS, so I suspect WB would need to pay a decent amount for streaming fights to those shows.
It would certainly help to have those shows (which will grow to include Black Lightning) on the service.

Ross61

CW is half owned by CBS, so I suspect WB would need to pay a decent amount for streaming fights to those shows.
It would certainly help to have those shows (which will grow to include Black Lightning) on the service.
CBS might own half of CW, but WB owns all of the shows they put on there 100%.

TDLink

The point is though, even if they put the past seasons of those 5 shows on the service, Netflix also still has them. And even if the deal they signed with Netflix for some reason expires that fast (which I doubt), there's no way new episodes will be premiering on the service over continuing to air on the CW.

So what's the incentive to sign up for the service? For new shows, it's pretty slim. Instead it seems to primarily be the back catalog.

kmfdmpig

The point is though, even if they put the past seasons of those 5 shows on the service, Netflix also still has them. And even if the deal they signed with Netflix for some reason expires that fast (which I doubt), there's no way new episodes will be premiering on the service over continuing to air on the CW.

So what's the incentive to sign up for the service? For new shows, it's pretty slim. Instead it seems to primarily be the back catalog.

I agree that the service will be lacking for most people. I think many of these services have the most appeal to cord cutters, but this is such a niche offering that their target market will be very small.
Disney, for example, toyed with the idea of separate Star Wars or Marvel services, but decided that they'd be stronger to have a single service that brought in a much greater amount of content. That's the smarter play, I think.

I just don't see how this DC digital service has much appeal compared with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney's, Hulu, HBO Go, or even CBS. Perhaps making it lower cost ($4 per month rather than $8-10) might work, but Time Warner has so much content that it seems like it could have made a service that would compete with the others, rather than this minor niche offering.

RedHill

Banned
Maybe one of these days there will be a thread about this show that talks about the show instead of the streaming service.

I love this casting. I think he would've made a great Tim, but I'm sure his Beast Boy will be fantastic too. I really hope people don't try to ship Raven and him together though, since he's 22 and she's 13.

TDLink

Maybe one of these days there will be a thread about this show that talks about the show instead of the streaming service.

I love this casting. I think he would've made a great Tim, but I'm sure his Beast Boy will be fantastic too. I really hope people don't try to ship Raven and him together though, since he's 22 and she's 13.

There's not a lot to say yet. We only have some cast details. I trust Berlanti will do this show as well as the CW shows.

ZeroX03

Banned
I thought they were looking for a teen.

Yeah, so did I.

This makes the dynamic even stranger. You can't really have a romantic pairing between Beast Boy and Raven with the gap here. You have Nightwing and Starfire who are late 20s, Beast Boy is early 20s, Raven is 13 and Hank is 32 and Dove is 37 (not that she looks it).

It's not Teen Titans, but it does seem like it's the babysitting Raven show. Everyone on the show except Beast Boy is old enough to be her parent.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
He's older than I expected. Good choice, and he'll probably be playing a couple years younger. But I was expecting them to go for someone in the same age range as Raven. She's basically a baby compared to the rest of the cast.

Top Bottom