• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Titans’: Teagan Croft Cast As Raven In Live-Action Series For DC Digital Service

snap

Banned
It seems to be an all encompassing DC service. Their animation, comics and stuff like this. I'd guess older live action stuff will land there too. Probably won't include CW stuff though because that's with a Netflix.

• EXCLUSIVE Live Action Teen Titans
  • EXCLUSIVE Young Justice Season 3
  • Young Justice Seasons 1 + 2
  • Superman: The Animated Series
  • Batman: The Animated Series
  • Justice League/Justice League Unlimited
  • Batman Beyond
  • Teen Titans
  • Teen Titans Go
  • All of the DC Animated Movies
  • Marvel Unlimited style access to the DC catalogue
  • Probably the DCEU movies
They're also hitting the right point for people like me who grew up watching the DCAU as kids to be entering the workforce and having meaningful dispensable income for the first time.

Yeah, they're going to make a killing.

You know how this is going to go. In the beginning of the fight Beast Boy will get thrown behind some boxes and then a dog suddenly appears to attack the enemy

They did some OK stuff with Vixen in the CW series. Beast Boy is obviously different, but I think it might be fine.

Also, King Shark looked alright in The Flash.

snap

Banned
Have they said how long the seasons are going to be?

Are they going to be a premium-style 10-12 episode seasons or will it be full cable-style 26 episode seasons?

The former will probably give us decent Beast Boy CGI, the latter...

y is raven 13 yrs old tho?

that's usually what her age is

kmfdmpig

• Batman Beyond
  • Teen Titans
  • Teen Titans Go
They're also hitting the right point for people like me who grew up watching the DCAU as kids to be entering the workforce and having meaningful dispensable income for the first time.

They've dropped hints that make me think it's unlikely that it'd be like Marvel Unlimited. They said they felt that such a service devalued comics. DC also makes a lot from its back catalog, and such a move would hurt that considerably. I hope you're right, but expect the comics part of such a service to be underwhelming (some rotating older series, perhaps and some #1 issues or something is what I'd guess).

Ross61

Have they said how long the seasons are going to be?

Are they going to be a premium-style 10-12 episode seasons or will it be full cable-style 26 episode seasons?

The former will probably give us decent Beast Boy CGI, the latter...

that's usually what her age is
13 episodes.

ZeroX03

Banned
  • Batman Beyond
  • Teen Titans
  • Teen Titans Go

The Flash (1990), Birds of Prey, Constantine (TV) are all just floating around The CW App or whatever they'll probably come in. Where's Smallville?

Have they confirmed an actual roster yet?
Nightwing - guaranteed
Starfire - guaranteed
Raven - guaranteed and confirmed
Beastboy - guaranteed

Cyborg - no chance
Kid Flash - not llikely
Donna Troy - please be in eventually
Robin - please no

070519878979c2819bc5198237215587--damian-wayne-teen-titans.jpg
I feel like I'm missing something extremely important (and possibly squicky as well) here. What's going on?

snap

Banned
wrong raven.

?

They've dropped hints that make me think it's unlikely that it'd be like Marvel Unlimited. They said they felt that such a service devalued comics. DC also makes a lot from its back catalog, and such a move would hurt that considerably. I hope you're right, but expect the comics part of such a service to be underwhelming (some rotating older series, perhaps and some #1 issues or something is what I'd guess).

I'd have to imagine they'll keep the famous stuff that they still make loads of money on through collected editions (Knightfall, All-Star Superman, etc.) off but hopefully they'll toss in all those forgettable late 90s/early 2000s lines. It's a bit crazy to me that they never collected the entirety of the 10-ish year Nightwing run into like two or three volumes.

I feel like I'm missing something extremely important (and possibly squicky as well) here. What's going on?

alternate universe where dick married starfire and had a daughter with her, and damien never became robin. dick's daughter falls for damien and dick (being a great dad who sees the obvious) is going "oh hell no"

Have they said that since they started building this service?

I know they said that line a while back, but that could simply just be a justification for not doing it at the time that they now are going back on.

snap

Banned
I was hoping for a cool dark scary powerful live action teen titans raven. Not A Teen Titans GO Mini-Raven, or even a That's So Raven.

yay children with superpwers.

comics raven has been 13-16ish throughout new 52 and now rebirth

I was hoping for a cool dark scary powerful live action teen titans raven. Not A Teen Titans GO Mini-Raven, or even a That's So Raven.

They can still do cool dark scary powerful live action teen titans raven if they continue to crib their writing/casting notes from Logan.

Slayven

Dogs, rats, and cats are gonna be Beast Boy's favorite transformations maybe an occasional horse.
Save some heat for the season finally
They did some OK stuff with Vixen in the CW series. Beast Boy is obviously different, but I think it might be fine.

Also, King Shark looked alright in The Flash.

Vixen and Beast Boy powers are similar but fundamentally different. If she is transforming it means something is wrong with her powers

I guess they're going in for the long haul.

She was like 14 in the animated series and was great.

akira28

comics raven has been 13-16ish throughout new 52 and now rebirth

comics raven has been a multitude of ages many times over and over. And when I was reading her blue weird bird demon suit thing whatever it was she had going on, she wasn't an anklebiter. I'm really not going to get into nebulous anime-manga teenager age scale weirdness. I just wondered why they were going so young.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow Vixen effects were so bad. Got a little better with Legends, but it was fundamentally bad animal CGI -> she has super strength now. Not a lot of variety.

snap

Banned
comics raven has been a multitude of ages many times over and over. And when I was reading her blue weird bird demon suit thing whatever it was she had going on, she wasn't an anklebiter. I'm really not going to get into nebulous anime-manga teenager age scale weirdness. I just wondered why they were going so young.

cuz when they did nebulous teenager acting like an adult (back when she had that awful feather costume) nobody liked her cuz the books she was in were poorly written

when they did the recent raven miniseries thing they put her in either middle school or high school (don't remember) and it really worked for the character in a way she didn't work before

akira28

nobody liked her because her costume was ass and she was acting like a weirdo freak not named Raven. Or maybe she was acting like Raven daughter of Trigon, but yes, the books also sucked.

I grew up with an older Raven, she was probably in her late teens for most of my comic reading life before they finally let her become an adult. We're talking 30+ years, and her being a youngster is relatively new in context. If that's where the're going with their Teen Titans. Fine. If beast boy will actually be a boy, cool. whatever.

but to call it ambitious would be an understatement. I've already got this one on the birds of prey Generation X level of doubt.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Arrow Vixen effects were so bad. Got a little better with Legends, but it was fundamentally bad animal CGI -> she has super strength now. Not a lot of variety.

And I'm not expecting much more here. Using live animals would be expensive and troublesome, and actually doing well animated animals every episode? Nah, I don't see it. Game of Thrones only has money for a few seconds of dragons every once in awhile.

snap

Banned
nobody liked her because her costume was ass and she was acting like a weirdo freak not named Raven. Or maybe she was acting like Raven daughter of Trigon, but yes, the books also sucked.

I grew up with an older Raven, she was probably in her late teens for most of my comic reading life before they finally let her become an adult. We're talking 30+ years, and her being a youngster is relatively new in context. If that's where the're going with their Teen Titans. Fine. If beast boy will actually be a boy, cool. whatever.

but to call it ambitious would be an understatement. I've already got this one on the birds of prey Generation X level of doubt.

you should read Raven (2016). It's only 6 issues long and I'm sure it's collected into a single volume. it sells the idea of a younger Raven quite well.

Ross61

And I'm not expecting much more here. Using live animals would be expensive and troublesome, and actually doing well animated animals every episode? Nah, I don't see it. Game of Thrones only has money for a few seconds of dragons every once in awhile.
I don't see them skimping on the budget at all. Especially if they want people to you know, have a reason to buy the service.

They chose this incarnation of the Titans for a reason. Pretty sure they know it's gonna be a hefty cost.

kmfdmpig

Have they said that since they started building this service?

I know they said that line a while back, but that could simply just be a justification for not doing it at the time that they now are going back on.

At SDCC they were asked about it and basically said that they were looking into it, but didn't have plans in the immediate future. That's a vague enough comment that it could mean that they simply want to announce it later, but it keeps me from being too hopeful that they'll try to have a major service with thousands of titles like MU.
http://www.cbr.com/jim-lee-dan-didio-dc-comics-future-sdcc-2017/

Look at the history of the teen heroes on tv and the movies
Cyborg who is supposed to be young is played by a 29 year old in Justice League.
Even the new Power Rangers were all low 20's.

Its just refreshing that not only is it going to be a young hero, they actually cast her young as well.
Which then seems likely for Beastboy which is potentially nice as well.

Hit Girl is like the only one I can even really think of that isn't CWish.

This could potentially be bad but backed by a 20ish Nightwing and Starfire I can see it working.

Vengrim

She is 13 now. Show isn't coming out till 2018 so she will be 14, maybe even 15 by the time it airs. I would have went older but I'm not going to write this off just yet.

Volimar

lmao if anybody is creeping on this even before that warning. well this forum has had expose threads before...

It's not about the actress so much as Raven. I didn't want people to get into trouble for commenting on Raven when a 13 year old is playing her. I didn't think so many people would find it odd.

Top Bottom