• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Batwoman’ Casts Javicia Leslie as New Series Lead

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The casting doesn't matter. The character is inherently boring, at least the cartoon versions.

Huntress and Catwoman eat Batwoman for breakfast.

Wasn't interested in the show before, not interest now either. I'm not the target audience but there's a joke name I just have to resist making.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I only really know the movies and games, not the comics. So who is batwoman?

In the comics, Batwoman is Kate Kane. A cousin of Bruce Wayne's. She doesn't know it initially but she's inspired to become Batwoman after Batman rescues her from some thugs. She's a lesbian and instead of renouncing that she's gay in the military, she takes the dishonorable discharge and goes out as an out gay woman.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The casting doesn't matter. The character is inherently boring, at least the cartoon versions.

Huntress and Catwoman eat Batwoman for breakfast.

She's been in 3 animated movies... Batman vs Robin, Batman: Bad Blood and Justice League: Apokolips War... Are you talking about those depictions or did you think Batwoman was Batgirl?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
She's been in 3 animated movies... Batman vs Robin, Batman: Bad Blood and Justice League: Apokolips War... Are you talking about those depictions or did you think Batwoman was Batgirl?

I believe she was in Batman Hush as well, I might be misremembering. Those were definitely mediocre and/or just cameos for her. But I was talkin more of Mystery of the Batwoman.

It might be the worst Batman thing period. Worse than George Clooney nipples. Worse than the Dark Knight Returns sequels. How do you go from Mask of the Phantasm and Sub Zero to THAT.

sobaka770

Banned
Good choice. They are not casing Kate Kane so a new character can be of any race. Plus she's young, with talent and she's hot so they increase their viewer demographic by a bit. First season was actually quite decent story-wise.

Lol at those who say she got it mainly cause she's black, such a sad state of mind.

LOL. Anyone know when Professor X will be played by a bald Denzel Washington?

Got to pander to POC for those upvotes and make the community feel better.

Can't wait to hear about the new Batwoman. In 99% of cases, a Black person in media is portrayed with that tough, loud, street smart ghetto attitude. Curious to see if Javicia is played as a smart, classy lady with quiet suburban roots or from the hood.
Pretty sure they already said the next Batwoman character is going to be a drug dealer who lives in a van. Doesn't seem like great representation. Could make for an interesting character though, who knows

Last edited:
Here she is...
ElSMgDuWkAEZSE5

YCoCg

"It's important that people know she's a Black Woman" Aye and surely it would narrow things down for her enemies no??? Aight we're looking for a black woman with this specific hairstyle which is dyed in these specific parts.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
"It's important that people know she's a Black Woman" Aye and surely it would narrow things down for her enemies no??? Aight we're looking for a black woman with this specific hairstyle which is dyed in these specific parts.
That hair is straight up ridiculous.

(in this particular context obviously)
What a great way to stay anonymous...have your giant identifiable hairdo sticking out...

Even after reading about the previous Batwoman (comic accurate story reasons too) y'all still think THAT'S supposed to be her real hair? Just like for Kate Kane, it's a wig. That helps hide her identity.

Y'all can't be THIS clueless, can you? Especially since it was explained for Kate when Season 1 was airing.

mortal

Gold Member
Even after reading about the previous Batwoman (comic accurate story reasons too) y'all still think THAT'S supposed to be her real hair? Just like for Kate Kane, it's a wig. That helps hide her identity.

Y'all can't be THIS clueless, can you? Especially since it was explained for Kate when Season 1 was airing.
The red wig was a stark contrast to her actual hair and she also wears eyeliner to further conceal her identity. At least that version made some practical sense.
If the point if to conceal one's identity, then why is the wig here especially mimicking naturally curly hair?

They're going out of their way to make sure we all know that she's black. Like it's obviously her, and anyone looking to expose her can easily make the connection lol.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
The red wig was a stark contrast to her actual hair and she also wears eyeliner to further conceal her identity. At least that version made some practical sense.
If the point if to conceal one's identity, then why is the wig here especially mimicking naturally curly hair?

They're going out of their way to make sure we all know that she's black. Like it's obviously her, and anyone looking to expose her can easily make the connection lol.

No... No they can't easily expose her because her hair doesn't even look like the wig ... Even though it can. There's a thing called styling. Black women can style their hair a ton of ways.

tyHsMPL.jpg

3tKD0IK.jpg

4tCUdN0.jpg

3SEv2uY.jpg

xXS6WgH.jpg

ryI1Oxx.jpg

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's be great if people stopped thinking black women only had hair ONE way. One of my closest friends is a black woman with naturally long wavy/big curly hair ... and no she isn't mixed.

mortal

Gold Member
No... No they can't easily expose her because her hair doesn't even look like the wig ... Even though it can. There's a thing called styling. Black women can style their hair a ton of ways.

tyHsMPL.jpg

3tKD0IK.jpg

4tCUdN0.jpg

3SEv2uY.jpg

xXS6WgH.jpg

ryI1Oxx.jpg
I feel like you didn't understand my post whatsoever and immediately inferred me saying something about black women's hair...
No shit women can style their hair how they want, goes without saying.

The red wig is actually in line with the Batwoman comics at the very least. So why is this wig especially mimicking naturally curly hair?
You can already tell who she is with her eyes and mouth region being exposed.

It's be great if people stopped thinking black women only had hair ONE way. One of my closest friends is a black woman with naturally long wavy/big curly hair ... and no she isn't mixed.
No one care about your closest friend's hair. I'm criticizing the cowl.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I feel like you didn't understand my post whatsoever and immediately inferred me saying something about black women's hair...
No shit women can style their hair how they want, goes without saying.

The red wig is actually in line with the Batwoman comics at the very least. So why is this wig especially mimicking naturally curly hair?
You can already tell who she is with her eyes and mouth region being exposed.

No one care about your closest friend's hair. I'm criticizing the cowl.

Ok. So you're criticizing the cowl. The same cowl that could have still exposed Kate Kane and Bruce Wayne based on your observations...

Ok

Labolas

I think you're having a completely different argument here. No one is saying black women can't have different styles or that couldn't be a wig she's wearing but it's obviously the costume, particularly the cowl that's the problem. She isn't making any attempt to hide her identity when she is supposed to her identity a secret. They wanted to let you know that this BLACK WOMAN in the costume and this was blatant.

And there isn't a lot of black women running around Gotham. And if she's someone of notoriety then this makes even less sense.

Last edited:
If you're a black woman with curly-hair trying to hide your identity, why would you wear a curly-hair wig??? I would think if she's using her wig to hide her identity she should actually wear something that works to that effect.

But let's be honest here. If she was a wearing a straight-hair wig that hid her identity effectively, many people from the twitterati left would say that the actor is being oppressed by western standards of beauty.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
If you're a black woman with curly hair trying to hide your identity, why would you wear a curly hair wig??? I would think if she's using her wig to hide her identity she should actually wear something that works to that effect.

Well, sewing in miles of Yaki into her scalp to go out crime fighting, might take too long.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Giant attention whore afro has never been funnier.

I have never seen someone with this hairstyle that wasn’t a full on black supremacist, constant racial grievances, reparations kind of person.

Lanrutcon

Ok, but can we stop pretending that everyone doesn't want a Batman series? Not Batwoman, not Batkid, not Batdog...wait...that last one sounds awesome.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Compared to this one? Hardly.

Batman's jawline and mouth are clearly seen in every iteration of him from the original show to Justice League. If anyone could see Batman, they could tell it's Bruce Wayne. Same with Kate Kane's Batwoman.

Why is this any different? The same amount of jawline and mouth is visible with Ryan's.
Giant attention whore afro has never been funnier.

I have never seen someone with this hairstyle that wasn’t a full on black supremacist, constant racial grievances, reparations kind of person.

That's not an afro, bro. It's just a curly hair wig.

And it's a prop the costume design team added. Not Ms. Leslie.

Just in: The Joker is a Vegan youtube Makeup artist, Catwoman a Hijab wearing Chinese computer wiz, Double-Face a gender-fluid political activist and Bane, according to the latest news, a gay Mexican fitness instructor.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
Let's be honest here. Batwoman is one of the stupidest looking superheroes every created.

And let's be even more honest, this version looks better than Ruby Rose (which wasn't hard, I admit), plus, you can throw a pebble and find a better actress than Ruby Rose, so all in all, this should be an improvement.

I say improvement, not good. Unless you're Mythbusters you can't really polish a turd.

mortal

Gold Member
Batman's jawline and mouth are clearly seen in every iteration of him from the original show to Justice League. If anyone could see Batman, they could tell it's Bruce Wayne. Same with Kate Kane's Batwoman.

Why is this any different? The same amount of jawline and mouth is visible with Ryan's.

That's not an afro, bro. It's just a curly hair wig.

And it's a prop the costume design team added. Not Ms. Leslie.
Some are definitely better than others, admittedly (the Nolan Batman for example.)

Still makes more practical sense compared to this one, because they're weren't going out of their way to advertise the new ethnicity of batwoman for no reason.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Some are definitely better than others, admittedly (the Nolan Batman for example.)

Still makes more practical sense compared to this one, because they're weren't going out of their way to advertise the new ethnicity of batwoman for no reason.
I still don't get what you're saying.

Ryan was a drug runner... Not a cop. And she isn't the only black woman in Gotham. Eating she's really identifiable holds no water because she isn't on billboards or TV like Bruce Wayne was

mortal

Gold Member
I still don't get what you're saying.

Ryan was a drug runner... Not a cop. And she isn't the only black woman in Gotham. Eating she's really identifiable holds no water because she isn't on billboards or TV like Bruce Wayne was
You don't get what I'm saying?

New Batwoman is black, but let's also design her with a wig mimicking naturally curly hair...for some reason.

Also I never mentioned her being a cop as that's not relevant. She doesn't have to be the only black woman in Gotham to be identifiable when her most identifiable facial features are clearrly visible lol

It's just a bad cowl design imo.

Nolan's Batman had him speaking entirely different register for his Batman persona to further distance himself from Bruce.
Even with Bruce being a public figure it would be more difficult to make the connection based on the combination of the cowl, the difference in voice & behavior.

x4jyjwj2tim31.jpg

Top Bottom