• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' reboot could be on the way, says producer Dolly Parton

bitbydeath

I had no idea Dolly was involved with the OG series, hopefully they do it right.

Parton's production company, Sandollar Productions, which the singer cofounded with her former manager, Sandy Gallin, coproduced all seven seasons of "Buffy" through its television production arm, Sandollar Television. It also coproduced the spinoff show "Angel" starring David Boreanaz.
"They're still working on that," Parton tells Business Insider, though she did not specify who exactly is involved in the project. "They're thinking about bringing it back and revamping it."

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
It won't be as good without Joss Whedon.

Also just saw SMG in Drag Race and she looks phenomenal.

bitbydeath

It won't be as good without Joss Whedon.

Also just saw SMG in Drag Race and she looks phenomenal.
Joss was involved with the recent reboot attempt which I believe is the one she is referring to be brought back and revamped.

In 2018, Whedon and producer and screenwriter Monica Owusu-Breen collaborated on a proposed "Buffy" reboot with a Black lead, reported Deadline.

SJRB

Gold Member
"They're thinking about bringing it back and revamping it."

steven-seagal-stare.gif

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Never liked the original. I can't imagine the new one would be anything but a "modern audience" style shitfest.

jason10mm

Gold Member
There can be ONLY ONE!!!!
QPQNjsV.jpg

Actually, f it, go throw in Snipes as a Blade-esque hunter who has to play Watcher to a new disillusioned Gen X teen Slayer and so he rounds up all the old Slayers to help out. MASSIVE body count, anyone can die, just fan service the ever living HELL out of it.

And the villain of choice....
cm4U6e4.jpg

xrnzaaas

You can already bet it's going to be a show focused on "today's issues" with fighting vamps being in the background.

I only hope they won't try to push the new slayer as Buffy, just start something new (I know, it's A LOT to ask).

jason10mm

Gold Member
You can already bet it's going to be a show focused on "today's issues" with fighting vamps being in the background.

I only hope they won't try to push the new slayer as Buffy, just start something new (I know, it's A LOT to ask).
Yeah, even the OG film and series were mostly about the struggles of teen girls, not REALLY about vampire hunting, but I get yah, these days "genre" shows are a thin veneer scrapped over tawdry and hamfisted social commentary.

The thing with 'Buffy' was the juxtaposition of the typical "Valley girl" stereotype thrown into mortal combat with the undead. Facing adult responsibilities, having to suddenly care for others, the world is larger than your hairspray poof, stuff like that. The show obviously took it much farther and SMG was never as visibly superficial as KS (given she was the more mature version of that same character that is to be expected). So if they still call it Buffy then you'd expect it to be an IG influencer type (like the chick from the recent Jumanji films) or even an OF girl if they really wanna be adult, who then has to 'grow up' into the real world.

For me, this character concept wouldn't work if it's the usual snarky, always right, precocious, anti-establishment, feminazi, woke, "drop yah male priviledge, ya'll", girl boss character as there isn't really anywhere for that character to go. Giving her super powers is really just gonna further enforce her skewed world view because she now has LESS accountability and consequences for her actions (basically a more annoying and intolerable version of Faith). Wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if this is what is pitched, along with some artwork of a quasi-emo indeterminate ethnicity girl with the sides of her head shaved, rainbow hair, a nose ring, stepping on a pair of pom-poms to show her defiance of "female gender roles"; while a cowardly beta male Watcher cowers behind her and her rag tag group of LGBT+ color palate friends complete with wheelchair bound trans science nerd, butch lesbian football team captain, perpetually 'friend zoned' art major "male ally", and, why not at this point, a talking squid that lurks in the school library to dispense ancient folk wisdom.

Top Bottom