• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warner Bros Reboots 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Without Joss Whedon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocle

Oh, so this is why I've been smelling disaster.

ruby_onix said:
Personally, I think the least classy thing in Whedon's response is that he insulted the woman they hired to write the movie for being a no-name nobody, especially since she claimed to be a fan of Whedon's work.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she in fact a no-name nobody? If being a fan of Whedon's shows is her main qualification, he has every right to throw a little snark her way.

DaMan121

BattleMonkey said:
Basically. And the studio pretty much could care less about Whedonites, they are obviously going for a new audience. They are just going to get bonus ticket sales off those going to see it to hate it.

Then why the fuck call it Buffy? Just.. I don't get this..

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Everyone here that enjoyed Angel, should take a look at Supernatural, it really is underrated.

Saty

I think you are missing a greater issue than just what fans will think of the reboot.
It's the younger audience or other people who didn't watch the TV show or that always dismissed it because of its 'teenage blonde kills vampires' premise that will find this movie as discouraging them even more to give the series a shot.

In all likelihood, the reboot will jump on the Twilight bandwagon and so will the franchise is going to be percieved by the general public as trashy. It will be difficult to seperate the movie(s) from the series by many and so the chances rise that the tv show will be undeservedly overlooked.

Dies Iræ

ruby_onix said:
Personally, I think the least classy thing in Whedon's response is that he insulted the woman they hired to write the movie for being a no-name nobody, especially since she claimed to be a fan of Whedon's work.

No writer who respects Whedon's work would take this job.

Such a terrible idea. Whedon made Buffy what it was, along with the fantastic cast.

I'm not even going to get mad about it, though. It's really not a surprising move in a post-Twilight world. I'll just pretend it doesn't exist and live in blissful ignorance.

wayward archer said:
Most Whedon shows would probably have been better with less Joss Whedon involvement. Especially in the casting department where he tends to hire friends over actors that fit the roles.

Like remake Firefly without Nathan Fillion or Gina Torres and it'd be a much better show.

I know, I can already hear the cries of heresy from the Whedon faithful. It's just my humble opinion.

Oblig: Fuck remakes.

What? I think Firefly is a tad overrated with some of the dying love it gets, it's good, and started to become great, but was only just showing its potential. That said, Nathan Fillion was perfectly cast and I can't imagine anyone being better in that role. Firefly's only real weakness was that it wasn't given time to become amazing.

ScrabbleDude said:
I don't want this. Which probably means it will make a fuckton of cash.

NEco65GuVKQUgd_1_2.jpg

DaMan121

ScrabbleDude said:
I don't want this. Which probably means it will make a fuckton of cash.

But that's the thing.. the whole thing is the definition of geek. If it becomes popular, it isn't Buffy.. so then why use the name?

Jay Sosa

Green Scar said:
http://c0181301.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/NEco65GuVKQUgd_1_2.jpg[/QUOTE]

Geeks hated Avatar? Never noticed..And the first Matrix too? And they loved Land of the Lost?

And all the hate for Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, It was epic!

Busty

Banned
Dies Iræ said:
No writer who respects Whedon's work would take this job.

Good grief.

Veidt said:
Everyone here that enjoyed Angel, should take a look at Supernatural, it really is underrated.

I totally agree with this. I only started watching Supernatural regularly the last few seasons and it is criminally underrated.

ruby_onix said:
Warner/Kuzui licensed the TV rights to Fox.....

I don't believe that this true actually. Fox made Buffy but the theatrical rights to the property reverted back to the Kuzuis per their original deal with Fox.

Jay Sosa said:
Geeks hated Avatar? Never noticed..And the first Matrix too? And they loved Land of the Lost?

And all the hate for Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, It was epic!

It's not a rule it's just an observation :lol whatever, I didn't make that image, slag it off all you want. :p

Replicant

ConradCervantes said:
I'm watching Buffy reruns on Chiller. Honestly, they should've ended it with
The Gift. Buffy's death would've been the perfect way to go out, plus we wouldn't have had to be subjected to Spike and Buffy banging away at each other while Buffy has emo face.

Agreed 100%. I'd never consider S6 and S7 as part of Buffy stories. I sickened me that POS character called Spike got so much exposure because the fangirls loved him.

Jay Sosa

Green Scar said:
It's not a rule it's just an observation :lol whatever, I didn't make that image, slag it off all you want. :p

Of course it wasn't directed at you. It's just these list are always so fucking pointless, you can make the exact same list with flopped movies "geeks" hated..

And btw. since when is Buffy a geek show? I now tons of "regular" people who loved it, if it really would've been only watched by geeks back then it wouldn't even made it to season 3 (which obviously a lot of people here would've welcomed)

And Whedonites is a awfully stupid term, just sayin.

WrikaWrek said:
Troll?

What is this, the gaming side? He's a writer who writes shitty. So i think he sucks and buffy is better off without him, so how am i trolling?

Never say anything bad about The Whedon on the internet - you can never win.

DaMan121 said:
But that's the thing.. the whole thing is the definition of geek. If it becomes popular, it isn't Buffy.. so then why use the name?
Because people are familiar with the concept, it's easy to understand. And the name still rings some bells -- especially with people that watched the show and liked it, but weren't Whedon fanatics.

This definitely isn't going to be the Buffy that the people who loved the tv show watched, but it just might do extremely well with a new audience. It's not for me, but that doesn't mean it can't be huge.

Cheerilee

Monocle said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't she in fact a no-name nobody? If being a fan of Whedon's shows is her main qualification, he has every right to throw a little snark her way.
Whedon was practically a nobody when he wrote the first movie. He was an even less qualified nobody when he decided to direct/produce the TV show. Most/all of his actors have been nobodies.

Being a fan of Whedon's work doesn't make her qualified, it suggests that maybe she looks up to people like him. Her qualification is whatever her writing skill is.

Whedon has the right to say whatever he wants, but in hindsight I just noticed that knocking the writer for not being famous was the least classy part of an otherwise great response. When William Shatner did something similar to Wil Wheaton, most people considered him an asshole.

DaMan121 said:

This makes no sense. So if it becomes a hit, it's no longer Buffy? Frankly I doubt the studios could give a fuck, it being popular and a hit is more important than it's status to geeks.

Vinci

Danish
Medalion said:
If the show is stylized more like Twilight, it will have no problems staying afloat the midst of Vampire related shows inspired by Twilight

Unless, you know, the whole Twilight thing falls out of favor by the time this movie comes out after being perpetuated to death on TV and in film. You know, things like this don't last long, or there's a leader of the pack that retains its leadership while other wannabes fall.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I just found about about this!
What the fuck is this shit?
Any news on this garbage?

I just finished Season 7 the other night...
It was our first time seeing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I went into it thinking it would be the worst thing ever, but once you slog past season 1... it's a damn good show.

Do you have to revive it so soon? Bring back the cult show while alienating the cult?

Raistlin

I'm actually in the process of re-watching the Buffyverse right now (currently doing season 5/2 of Buffy/Angel - using this to maintain sanity for order), and will finish by watching the season 8 motion comic BD.

All the endeavor has done is convince me to my core what a horrible, horrible idea this is. I mean the second I first heard the news I thought it was a terrible idea, but it's been so long since I've seen the show that I didn't truly appreciate just how shitty of an idea it really is. Starting from the beginning makes me realize how special the show actually was. It's one of those rare things where everything - the creator, writers, directors, actors, story, characters - all came together to create something truly awesome.

This reboot will have none of it - just a shallow taste of the premise and a shadow of its characters and world. How can they even try and tell anything compelling in a world this expansive in 2 hours? Especially given that the studio will force at least some level of exposition before they hop in? It's not like the powers that be will just let them hit the ground running and jump in right after season 7 or 8. Or is this going to be a true reboot where they are basically redoing the Swanson movie? Whatever. Fail.

Christopher

Staccat0 said:
I just found about about this!
What the fuck is this shit?
Any news on this garbage?

I just finished Season 7 the other night...
It was our first time seeing Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I went into it thinking it would be the worst thing ever, but once you slog past season 1... it's a damn good show.

Do you have to revive it so soon? Bring back the cult show while alienating the cult?

I think season 1 along with 2 are the best of the show...season 1 had that nice raw gritty feel to it.

DaMan121

BattleMonkey said:
This makes no sense. So if it becomes a hit, it's no longer Buffy? Frankly I doubt the studios could give a fuck, it being popular and a hit is more important than it's status to geeks.

Forgot about this thread, but my repsonse was to an earlier post saying that Buffy was essentially an ode to all us geeks. I was merely saying that if you took out all those elements, it wouldn't really be Buffy, but just a shadow of the real vision - kinda like the original movie.

Vamphuntr

Replicant said:
Agreed 100%. I'd never consider S6 and S7 as part of Buffy stories. I sickened me that POS character called Spike got so much exposure because the fangirls loved him.

I have to agree with this too. S6 was a trainwreck since it was all about emo Buffy stuck in her my life sucks syndrome. With S7 they somewhat destroyed the whole mythos that took them so many years to build.

Medalion said:
<3 Buffy and Spike

Fuck Angel (and not literally, again)

Spike was horrible. He was like the I'M SO BADASS CHARACTER archetype but much worse.

He

-Ordered a Buffy robot to fuck with
-Tried to rape Buffy

I'd never really watched Buffy before so when I saw there was a marathon on a week or two ago I decided to watch it. It was...eh. Most of the episodes I saw were with Buffy in college. I found pretty much anything involving Riley to be pretty unenjoyable. The only parts of the college episodes I really enjoyed was watching Giles sing.

TheVampire said:
Which made him feel so awful that he went and got his human soul back
"Bloody right I have. So you give me what I want. Make me what I was, so Buffy can get what she deserves."

That was right before he got his soul back, hardly sounds like someone who feels remorse over attempted rape. Spike was a horrible horrible character, and he's one of the many reasons the show went to shit (Angel too). I dont particualrly care that they're making a reboot, Whedon and co fucked up the show enough, and continue to do so in the comic I hear. I have no problem if someone new shits on the franchise, it's already been done.

Tobor

I liked 6, 7, and Spike. :lol

6 has Once More With Feeling, which invalidates any "Season 6 sucks" arguments all by itself.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
The Storyteller said:
"Bloody right I have. So you give me what I want. Make me what I was, so Buffy can get what she deserves."

That was right before he got his soul back, hardly sounds like someone who feels remorse over attempted rape. Spike was a horrible horrible character, and he's one of the many reasons the show went to shit (Angel too). I dont particualrly care that they're making a reboot, Whedon and co fucked up the show enough, and continue to do so in the comic I hear. I have no problem if someone new shits on the franchise, it's already been done.
Spike and Anya killed every last scrap of feeling I had for the characters. I continued to watch to just see how it ended. So, I agree with you. Spike was fine until he became a main character.

Tntnnbltn

rainking187 said:
I'd never really watched Buffy before so when I saw there was a marathon on a week or two ago I decided to watch it. It was...eh. Most of the episodes I saw were with Buffy in college. I found pretty much anything involving Riley to be pretty unenjoyable. The only parts of the college episodes I really enjoyed was watching Giles sing.
From what I remember, that entire season (4) was pretty unenjoyable. It also had a sucky Big Bad.

Season 5 was where it was at.

Edit: LTTP, but...
Green Scar said:
fuck buffy, where's my charmed remake
Why would anyone want a Charmed remake? The final season wrapped up the story perfectly.

anaron

Tobor said:

6 has Once More With Feeling, which invalidates any "Season 6 sucks" arguments all by itself.
I wish. OMFM is like its only saving grace.

Vamphuntr

Tobor said:

I know right the fact that they did make a musical episode completely erased the trainwreck that was season 6.

1-They revived Buffy by buying a magical urn on ebay
2- Buffy is emo because her shitty friends revived her mainly to solve their problems. Heavily in depression. 3/4 of the episodes are about Buffy whining, Buffy crying, Buffy getting drunk, Buffy failing at everyday's life or Buffy fucking Spike.
3- Buffy has money problems
4- Full of shitty filler episode (There is an episode with a magic invisible ray gun thing, an episode on Fast Food, an episode where they get stuck in Buffy's house)
5- Big Bad is revealed like in the last 3 episodes
6- They killed Tara
7- Attempted Rape on Buffy by Spike
8- Dawn is even more annoying (Clepto, the curse that sealed them in the house)
9- Willow turns evil and want to DESTROY DA WORLD
10- Demons? Vampires? Sorry you get episodes with a bunch of nerds and the issues of everyday's life

anaron

I think (most) of the theme and ideas for season six were perfectly in-line for the show; but the execution itself was so jarringly out of place and mostly terrible.

Tobor

Vamphuntr said:
I know right the fact that they did make a musical episode completely erased the trainwreck that was season 6.
Oh come on. Train wreck? :lol

"1-They revived Buffy by buying a magical urn on ebay"

Yep. It's a joke the show uses often, the mystical mixing with the normal world. Big deal.

"2- Buffy is emo because her shitty friends revived her mainly to solve their problems. Heavily in depression. 3/4 of the episodes are about Buffy whining, Buffy crying, Buffy getting drunk, Buffy failing at everyday's life or Buffy fucking Spike."

Character growth and a season long story arc. The horror.

"3- Buffy has money problems"

The one thing we agree on. Giles was receiving pay from the Watchers council, why wouldn't Buffy get a stipend? They certainly had the money to blow. And wouldn't they send someone else when Giles left? I would imagine the thinking was the theme of the show was more important than logic on this one.

"4- Full of shitty filler episode (There is an episode with a magic invisible ray gun thing, an episode on Fast Food, an episode where they get stuck in Buffy's house)"

The episodes you mentioned all move the season arc ahead and fit the theme of the season, Fast Food especially. Besides, what season of the show didn't have episodes like this?

"5- Big Bad is revealed like in the last 3 episodes"

Yet was fore shadowed and built up from the first episode of the season. Did you really think The Trio would try to end the world?

"6- They killed Tara"

Joss Whedon kills characters. Boo hoo.

"7- Attempted Rape on Buffy by Spike"

EDIT: Let me elaborate. It was the low point of the character on the show. He hit bottom, and had to redeem himself. When I say "boo hoo", I'm referring to the poster, not Buffy or anyone who is actually a victim of a horrible crime.

"8- Dawn is even more annoying (Clepto, the curse that sealed them in the house)"

15 year old acts like 15 year old. How dare they?

"9- Willow turns evil and want to DESTROY DA WORLD"

Which led to the most epic entrance in the entire show, and ended in a great character moment.

"10- Demons? Vampires? Sorry you get episodes with a bunch of nerds and the issues of everyday's life"

:lol What? The entire show is a metaphor for teenager/young adult issues. And there are plenty of vampires.

Tobor

Vamphuntr said:
Holy shit
Oh, come on. I'm not condoning the practice, it's a tv show.

I do think they wish in hindsight they hadn't done it, but I always felt it made sense in the character arc. Both characters were really screwed up emotionally at that point.

Replicant

Tobor said:
"7- Attempted Rape on Buffy by Spike"

Boo hoo
WTF dude?!

Spike is the most disgusting character conceived for that show. He over-extended his welcome 5 seasons too long. Should've been killed at the end of S2.

dejay

Banned
Replicant said:
WTF dude?!

Spike is the most disgusting character conceived for that show. He over-extended his welcome 5 seasons too long. Should've been killed at the end of S2.

While I agree for the most part, I feel he added a good dynamic to Angel in the last season - one of the reasons why I think Angel should have gotten one more season (and I'm of the belief Buffy had one or two many seasons too many).

Tobor

I would also add that it's interesting from a psychological standpoint that so many people can accept a murdering monster guilty of killing countless people in a veiled metaphor for sex being redeemed, but have such an issue with a similar character being redeemed after attempted rape.

Vamphuntr said:
Holy shit

Hey man, at least he isn't as bad as the people defending Spike back when the episode first aired. That's when you know the writing is shit (and you have the most delusional fans in the world).

dejay said:
While I agree for the most part, I feel he added a good dynamic to Angel in the last season - one of the reasons why I think Angel should have gotten one more season (and I'm of the belief Buffy had one or two many seasons too many).

Hell no. Getting rid of Cordelia, the lead female (as much as I love Amy Acker, Fred isn't lead female material as much as they tried to make her) and replacing her with more fucking Spike was the biggest insult Whedon has ever commited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom