• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kai Cole, Joss Whedon's Ex-Wife, calls him out as a 'Hypocrite Preaching Feminism'

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
An apparently loud and vocal male feminist ends up succumbing to their own puritanical preaching.
...Huh?

If a man cheats on his wife, is that anti-feminism?
If a woman cheats on her husband, is that anti-feminism?
If a lesbian cheats on her wife, is that anti-feminism?

Not defending him for cheating on his wife but if a man can have his feminism card revoked for doing something and a woman wouldn't have it revoked for doing the exact same thing, then I don't think feminism means what I think it means anymore.
Feminism means you can't cheat now? I think I'm out, y'all

No, it's not just the fact that he cheated.

It's the fact that (if we believe the ex's account, and Whedon himself didn't seem inclined to deny it):

> He surrounded himself with women, and claimed it wasn't because he lusted after them but because he's "a feminist who respects women"
> He ends up lusting after them after all and refers to that as some sort of disease or curse (lol)
> He ends up sleeping with a number of them after all, and being a serial cheater, and shielded himself with his "I'm a feminist!" persona

That's what makes him a hypocrite, as well as a really shitty husband and human being.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I find that a little sad. Even if Joss Whedon fails to be a good role model or even a good person, the things that are worthwhile about his work aren't negated by that. But I guess that is the call they feel they need to make.
I guess the problem is that's a fansite for him, not just his work.

Blader

Consider me among the camp that believes infidelity is incredibly shitty behavior, particularly if it occurs as a result of someone in a position of influence leveraging that influence for sex, but it doesn't make someone not a feminist. Just a creep.

She didn't say "he's not a feminist because he cheated on me". In fact, no one is really saying that.

Huh? That is the whole point of what she's talking about: that he's a fake feminist because he cheated on his wife. If she weren't attacking his reputation as a feminist because of his infidelity, then why is his feminism brought up in the first place?

...Huh?

It's the fact that (if we believe the ex's account, and Whedon himself didn't seem inclined to deny it):

> He surrounded himself with women, and claimed it wasn't because he lusted after them but because he's "a feminist who respects women"
> He ends up lusting after them after all and refers to that as some sort of disease or curse (lol)
> He ends up sleeping with a number of them after all, and being a serial cheater, and shielded himself with his "I'm a feminist!" persona

That's what makes him a hypocrite, as well as a really shitty husband and human being.

That is all gross behavior, but serial cheating and the mental gymnastics of trying to rationalize serial cheating =/= "I don't believe women are entitled to equal right as men."

Nekofrog

Banned
...Huh?

That anyone can even lift a finger to defend him is revolting. It doesn't matter how well he wrote your silly comic book movies, he hurt real people in real life and took advantage of an entire subset of people while doing it ("geeks"). Defending him is ridiculous at this point

Nekofrog

Banned
Consider me among the camp that believes infidelity is incredibly shitty behavior, particularly if it occurs as a result of someone in a position of influence leveraging that influence for sex, but it doesn't make someone not a feminist.

Huh? That is the whole point of what she's talking about: that he's a fake feminist because he cheated on his wife. If she weren't attacking his reputation as a feminist because of his infidelity, then why is his feminism brought up in the first place?

No, he's a fake feminist because he literally abused the position that he was in to fuck women who he intentionally surrounded himself with.

This is the behavior of a predator. Why else would he during himself but these women and claim to be their ally, all the whole he never had any intentions other than "I'm the director and I'm gonna fuck anyone I want".

Joss is a sexual predator. Repeat after me.

Lothars

What is the other side of the story? He fell and his dick landed into actresses and fans repeatedly?
That he cheated but it was entirely consentual with who he had the affairs. It makes him a cheater and that's really shitty but it doesn't discredit his work or the causes he has supported.

It's a he said she said and I am not going to 100% take the word of either of them but to 100% take his ex-wife word as fact is really problematic.

None of this discredits his work but it's a real shitty feeling to know that he, allegedly, hurt a lot of women and abused his power to make that work happen.

Nekofrog

Banned
That he cheated but it was entirely consentual with who he had the affairs. It makes him a cheater and that's really shitty but it doesn't discredit his work or the causes he has supported.

It's a he said she said and I am not going to 100% take the word of either of them but to 100% take his ex-wife word as fact is really problematic.

The problematic part is that you'd rather sweep the victims under the rug and run with an idea that you made up completely instead of go off any of the statements made.

...Huh?

Shitty husband? Yes. Terrible human being? That might be a reach. A lot more goes to a person than that. Or do you consider JFK a shitty human being? I don't.

I'm not condoning cheating, but being famous can't be easy. The amount of temptation these people have on a daily basis is something none of us can comprehend. But you can be a terrible husband and still be a person who does a whole lot of good and helps others.

None of this discredits his work but it's a real shitty feeling to know that he, allegedly, hurt a lot of women and abused his power to make that work happen.

Fortunately we're well past the point where 'Look at this sexy young woman, who is working for a father figure to beat up evil dudes!' is seen as an improvement over how women are represented in media.

Representation isn't where it needs to be yet, but you can find stuff that does a much better job of it than Joss's shows did.

Fortunately we're well past the point where 'Look at this sexy young woman, who is working for a father figure to beat up evil dudes!' is seen as an improvement over how women are represented in media.

Representation isn't where it needs to be yet, but you can find stuff that does a much better job of it than Joss's shows did.

We can start by hiring female directors and writers to do the job instead of always pointing to Whedon.

Fhtagn

People trying to separate out his possible abstract political positions from his behavior are missing the fact that for him to be a feminist in theory and to be a serial cheater abusing his position of power in practice makes him a hypocrite at best.

Being a feminist does not preclude ever cheating, necessarily, but cheating with actresses and fans, because you’re a famous director? Now that’s an abuse of power, an exactly the kind of abusive power releationship that feminism is deeply invested in undoing.

So, yes, he might sincerely believe in feminism, but these actions make him a rather intense hypocrite.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I can't imagine devoting hours of my life to debating if Joss Whedon is a good feminist in private or not.

He is probably a hypocrite. Plenty of people who logically know right from wrong are. I'm not comfortable with the paternalistic attitude it takes to tell a young woman who she should and should not be attracted to based on position or power. At the end of the day it's just not something that is ever gonna matter in my life. I dunno ya'll.

Goodstyle

One thing I'm learning from this scandal just from skimming through twitter:

Don't call yourself a feminist if you're a man. Just... don't. Women fucking hate guys that do. It comes off as self-aggrandizing and duplicitous, and I'm sure their experience can attest to that.

The stock answer I give if the issue of if I'm a feminist comes along is to say that I believe women deserve equal rights but I don't consider myself a feminist because I don't actively participate in the movement.

Blader

Don't call yourself a feminist if you're a man. Just... don't. Women fucking hate guys that do. It comes off as self-aggrandizing and duplicitous, and I'm sure their experience can attest to that.

If my girlfriend or any one of my female friends asked me if I'm a feminist and I said no but I support equal rights for women, they would all respond with, "But that's what feminism is!"

iammeiam

That is all gross behavior, but serial cheating and the mental gymnastics of trying to rationalize serial cheating =/= "I don't believe women are entitled to equal right as men."

Where it kind of falls apart is when he claims he's not doing a thing specifically because he's a feminist, and then he is, in fact, doing that thing. He's not sleeping with all these attractive women he has power over, he's just a feminist! Except, oops, he is, and there's the description of the societal push "conquer and acquire" women sexually in explaining what was really going on, and it reads a lot less feminist.

I don't think he proactively wants to take rights away from women, but Whedon as Feminist Icon pops up a lot whenever something in his work seems unfortunate and problematic. And maybe what his ex wrote is a lie, or maybe there's some quotes she left out, but the entire power imbalance in the industry, the casting couch concept, and his being super aware that the women he suddenly had access to were available because of his position of power seems like something that should have given him pause. But instead of being a deterrent, he cites the power imbalance and the availability of women because of it as a primary motivating factor.

So for me the whole thing is largely in the shift in how Whedon's work is discussed; no more "Joss is a feminist!" passes. If his handling of a female character seems dated or a little ridiculous, he no longer gets spotted a few points because Avowed Feminist. It's not about cutting off access to his work--taken in context Buffy remains important for its time, although we've progressed since then--so much as just making it speak for itself.

Blader

Where it kind of falls apart is when he claims he's not doing a thing specifically because he's a feminist, and then he is, in fact, doing that thing. He's not sleeping with all these attractive women he has power over, he's just a feminist! Except, oops, he is, and there's the description of the societal push "conquer and acquire" women sexually in explaining what was really going on, and it reads a lot less feminist.

I don't think he proactively wants to take rights away from women, but Whedon as Feminist Icon pops up a lot whenever something in his work seems unfortunate and problematic. And maybe what his ex wrote is a lie, or maybe there's some quotes she left out, but the entire power imbalance in the industry, the casting couch concept, and his being super aware that the women he suddenly had access to were available because of his position of power seems like something that should have given him pause. But instead of being a deterrent, he cites the power imbalance and the availability of women because of it as a primary motivating factor.

So for me the whole thing is largely in the shift in how Whedon's work is discussed; no more "Joss is a feminist!" passes. If his handling of a female character seems dated or a little ridiculous, he no longer gets spotted a few points because Avowed Feminist. It's not about cutting off access to his work--taken in context Buffy remains important for its time, although we've progressed since then--so much as just making it speak for itself.

Okay, I agree with this.

The stock answer I give if the issue of if I'm a feminist comes along is to say that I believe women deserve equal rights but I don't consider myself a feminist because I don't actively participate in the movement.

Really just be low key about it. Give more women places to do what they want and feel safe without directing attention to yourself. You can still say your a Feminist to someone that asks but don't be showy with it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed

That's a good point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's not mental gymnastics. Saying "I believe in equal rights between genders" and then exploiting and disrespecting women indeed makes one a bad feminist (at best). It's not rocket science.

I'm not condoning cheating, but being famous can't be easy.
Oh puh-fucking-lease. Poor celebs, how do they ever deal with having to be decent human beings? Wahhhh.

"I'm not condoning cheating, but" = this thread in a nutshell, it seems

Then you haven't fucking learned anything. Also, don't fucking speak for women.

Krowley

Among sins, IMO, Cheating is usually a misdemeanor, not a felony. There are too many great and important people throughout history, who contributed awesome things to society; people who changed the world for the better and were generally amazing human beings overall, who had the one basic character flaw that they couldn't keep their dick/vagina in their pants. And many of these people were in positions of power, too. Doesn't make them "shitty human beings" Just flawed and complicated folks like the rest of us. It's a common failing.

Sorry, but the self-righteousness on display in this thread is fucking breathtaking. "Don't judge others, lest ye be judged yourself," and all that.

Among sins, IMO, Cheating is usually a misdemeanor, not a felony. There are too many great and important people throughout history, who contributed awesome things to society; people who changed the world for the better and were generally amazing human beings overall, who had the one basic character flaw that they couldn't keep their dick/vagina in their pants. And many of these people were in positions of power, too. Doesn't make them "shitty human beings" Just flawed and complicated folks like the rest of us. It's a common failing.

Sorry, but the self-righteousness on display in this thread is fucking breathtaking. "Don't judge others, lest ye be judged yourself," and all that.

This conversation is a lot deeper than just simple cheating.

JohnDoe

Banned
Director who claims he's feminist exploits his being a famous director to cheat on his wife with actresses who work under him even though he should be well aware of the fucked up power-dynamics between actresses and their male directors which still persist because Hollywood is still a boy's club. To top it off he uses his reputation as a feminist to mislead his wife about the women he was meeting and secretly sleeping with and becoming a serial-cheater in the process.
He literally exploited his "feminism" to cheat on his wife.

GAF: Well just because he cheated doesn't mean he's not feminist.

Consider me among the camp that believes infidelity is incredibly shitty behavior, particularly if it occurs as a result of someone in a position of influence leveraging that influence for sex, but it doesn't make someone not a feminist. Just a creep.

I read it as "he's a fake feminist AND he cheated on me".

Do you genuinely believe Joss Whedon is one of those people? His indiscretion doesn't invalidate his work, but given his persona there's nothing wrong with saying you're disappointed in his actions. No one read this article and went "Okay, I hate Avengers now." At worst it was "Huh, this actually explains a few things I've seen in his work."

Goodstyle

Really just be low key about it. Give more women places to do what they want and feel safe without directing attention to yourself. You can still say your a Feminist to someone that asks but don't be showy with it.

That's probably the better answer. Don't talk about it, just let women lead the way on the subject.

Then you haven't fucking learned anything. Also, don't fucking speak for women.

I'm not speaking for literally every woman, I'm just talking about a really common sentiment I've seen.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm not sure I could resist peak SMG if she came at my homely ass super hard. Hopefully, I could sit her down like her big strong father and explain to her that she was actually attracted to me for the wrong reasons.

JeTmAn81

That's because "feminist" is a term that's loaded to the max with meaning beyond equality for women. I support equality but I would never want to be called a feminist.

karobit

I know people keep pointing to the greek disease part but the most pertinent quote for me is this

When he walked out of our marriage, and was trying to make “things seem less bewildering” to help me understand how he could have lied to me for so long, he said, “In many ways I was the HEIGHT of normal, in this culture. We’re taught to be providers and companions and at the same time, to conquer and acquire — specifically sexually — and I was pulling off both!”

This assertion from Whedon that his behavior was normal is echoed in the some of the responses in this very thread and it belies how he felt about his feminism: He thought it was extraordinary. He thought the fact that he held, espoused, and largely practiced these beliefs of fairness and equality for women was him doing a good thing and a right thing -- but also that it was beyond what should be expected of him. Him being a feminist wasn't his baseline, it was extra. So when he gave into temptation, repeatedly, and when he knew he was guilty but lied and was righteous in response ("As a guilty man I knew the only way to hide was to act as though I were righteous. And as a husband, I wanted to be with you like we had been. I lived two lives.”), that was, to him, normal.

It looks familiar. It looks like chatlogs of guys trying to chat up women and then, after being ignored or brushed off or even politely turned down, immediately spew forth vile hate. It looks like white people responding to black protesters exasperated, saying things things like "I could have called you a n----r so many times."

If his reputation as a feminist should be challenged, it's not because of the fact that he was unfaithful. It's because of the methods of his infidelity and his justification for it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That's because "feminist" is a term that's loaded to the max with meaning beyond equality for women. I support equality but I would never want to be called a feminist.
Kinda part of the problem though. That's just letting assholes control things right?

Kinda part of the problem though. That's just letting assholes control things right?

It's mainly a lot of male Feminist don't realize they have more power and privilege over female Feminists. The balance becomes out of wack and the shift of power that was meant to uplift many women quickly uplifts one guy.

Goodstyle

I'm not sure I could resist peak SMG if she came at my homely ass super hard. Hopefully, I could sit her down like her big strong father and explain to her that she was actually attracted to me for the wrong reasons.

This sounds... condescending. It might just be better to say it's inappropriate for your working relationship and that you're married.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Err, the "gross behavior" he is accused of doing is the very kind of abuse of power and sexual predation that contributes to a society that perpetuates a status quo where women are effectively not entitled to equal rights as men.

That means he either doesn't really believe it and just pays it lip service, or he's another "do as I say not as I do" type of character.

Doc_Drop

Fuck this. I've never cheated, my brother's have never cheated, my parents have never cheated. And this isn't about cheating once, it's about serial cheating with those working under him, and FANS ffs

Yes people make mistakes, but are we not supposed to feel something in this situation? The gall to just brush this shit under the carpet is infuriating

Krowley

I read it as "he's a fake feminist AND he cheated on me".

Do you genuinely believe Joss Whedon is one of those people?

No.

He's been a huge influence on me personally as a writer, and I think he's had a big impact on modern television, but he's not one of the great men of our times or anything... But actually that wasn't quite my point...

I'm saying it's one thing to say the guy screwed up, or that he has a major character flaw, and another to jump all the way to describing him as a "shitty human being," seems like pure hyperbole based on the details from the report.

"Shitty human being" sounds like the person is irredeemable, a monster. "Shitty human being," should be reserved for the real pieces of shit in our society.

His indiscretion doesn't invalidate his work, but given his persona there's nothing wrong with saying you're disappointed in his actions. No one read this article and went "Okay, I hate Avengers now." At worst it was "Huh, this actually explains a few things I've seen in his work."

Agree to an extent with all of this. Not going to say he didn't show some failing here.

Audioboxer

It's a joke about how every now and then some guy who needs to tell everyone they are a 'top male feminist' in their Twitter bio ends up getting egg on their face when their private life is unleashed for the world to see. The amount of people in life who preach one thing then succumb to their own standards (whether it's by choice or mistake) is unfathomable in statistical quantity because of the number of people who end up hypocrites about something in their life. Most everyday citizens enjoy the curtain of private life to keep their failings to themselves/close circles. I can say pretty easily nearly everyone posting in this topic has either been involved in, or know of others involved in messy relationships/breakups and cheating. Unless you share it up though it'll probably remain private, whereas with celebs there's very little that ever stays private.

All round Joss sounds like a dick for the pain he's caused his ex-wife, I said as much in my post. He should never have stayed married to her. If he wanted to be a single man who could have as many consenting sexual encounters as a single person can have... then he should have been divorced and single. Don't lead people on. If you want to have sex with someone new every week then be single (or in an open relationship, but yeah, good luck with one of those). No arguments there. One of the main reasons couples end up in therapy is to really find out if either truly wants to be with one and other. Many of the times one or both parties doesn't, but they struggle to let go even when one or both are hurting the other. Everyone should know even people in their 60s/70s+ get divorced after tens of years of marriage when they finally conclude they weren't right for each other. Work in marriage counselling, it's a right eye-opener. As an individual, if you don't want to be with someone, be honest, split and move on. Simple logic, but it's often not simple in practice for millions of people. Human beings are often terrible at communication and terrible about knowing what love actually is and whether or not they truly feel it.

You'll find many people in life will have dark moments or baggage to apologise for and live with, especially around relationships/sex, but they can still try to stand for and uphold equal rights and views. If political and social movements, viewpoints and discussion only have room for the purest of pure people, then that is where satire comes in to challenge that religious like stance. Joss is a hypocrite, but like all hypocrites, it's how they deal with and learn from what they've done wrong. That goes for males and females, as affairs and cheating aren't just carried out by one side. If the concept of feminism is to be treated as a membership club then what happens to any women who cheat/have affairs? Are they instantly not allowed to think men and women are equal? Lots of people think and say men and women are equal but they still go off and do dumb shit and make terrible mistakes with relationships and sexual selection. It doesn't mean they aren't assholes, most of them probably are and should apologise and try to better themselves, but it doesn't mean every asshole can't be a feminist due to some elementary "this is my club" approach to equality. Then again, actions speak louder than words and most people, even those who do wrong and make mistakes should be more focused on the life they live and the sum of all their parts than bickering about what political/social labels to stick to themselves (or have removed when others decide you can't have that label anymore).

^ I'm a woman and I have no problem with men declaring themselves feminists. It only sucks when they are hypocrites or fake, the problem isn't with the simple notion of men calling themselves feminists. Jesus christ. Also stop speaking for women by claiming "they hate this" when you have a bunch of women telling you otherwise.

It's the "puritanical preaching" part that made me go "huh?". Whedon's brand of feminism (in his fiction, that is) has always been sex positive so this makes no sense.

Bad choice of words then, sorry. I didn't mean sex-negative but being pure of character without any faults/mistakes/baggage whatsoever.

Top Bottom