• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anna Diop Cast As Starfire In Teen Titans Series

Good for her! I've never been much for Teen Titans, but lord knows I'm a hopeless consumer of all things live-action comic books, so I'll definitely give it a shot and I look forward to seeing her in it!

spelen

i'm getting supergirl vibes from this show based on the casting. with that being said at the time even I didn't see supergirl sucking so bad.

Enzom21

Lol, I'm done man. Now it also matters just how black the actor/actress is?

The person you responded to wrote "dark skinned," Zoe Saldana is black but she isn't dark skinned by any stretch of the imagination.
Just look at the Nina biopic skin darkening debacle.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Well Starfire isn't human so if anyone complains they're complaining because the powers that be decided not to default her to white.

Jared-Kushner-Yelling.jpg

tumblr_ocmstuBaeM1tzdu2xo1_500.gif

Goofalo

How old is she?

Just in the OP photo, she didn't look like a teen to me.

She's 29? That's...That Age Where You Get Pressure To Settle Down Titan?

Well, Tobey Maguire played a high school kid, so why the fuck not?

OK, my issue is that she's too damn old to be a Teen Titan.

Pretty sure they're going the Nightwing/Starfire are the adult leaders route. Similar to the current animated movie-verse versions.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
is this part of the arrowverse? saw berlanti producing, so I guess it is.

Goofalo

Pretty sure they're going the Nightwing/Starfire are the adult leaders route. Similar to the current animated movie-verse versions.

OK, so Teen Titans and their Adult Chaperones?

I'm on board with that.

Go Gabrielle Cateris of the Teen Titans!

I hope she teaches them things like "How to balance a checkbook"

Trickster

The person you responded to wrote "dark skinned," Zoe Saldana is black but she isn't dark skinned by any stretch of the imagination.
Just look at the Nina biopic skin darkening debacle.

I didn't really take note of that distinction to be honest. But now that it's being pointed out, I get it. I can see why that would matter in the context of a movie like Nina.

But I really don't see the case of Nina as close to the same situation of using makeup to look like a green or orange alien, regardless of whether the actress is black, or dark-skinned black.

I didn't really take note of that distinction to be honest. But now that it's being pointed out, I get it. I can see why that would matter in the context of a movie like Nina.

But I really don't see the case of Nina as close to the same situation of using makeup to look like a green or orange alien, regardless of whether the actress is black, or dark-skinned black.

Yeah, I don't know if there's a trend that I'm unaware of. There maybe though, if somebody could point it out.

If anything her getting cast at all in this role as a dark skinned black actress is a victory itself.

Have they provided a full team lineup yet? I'm going to guess no Cyborg (in the DCEU) and Beast Boy (the effects would be way too expensive) but I think Dick and Donna are good possibilities...

Have they provided a full team lineup yet? I'm going to guess no Cyborg (in the DCEU) and Beast Boy (the effects would be way too expensive) but I think Dick and Donna are good possibilities...

This was the character breakdowns for the casting for the show.

John Crossland – Male, late 20s-early 30s, Caucasian. Equal parts charm and impenetrability, John is a cop. He has a nice smile, tired eyes and a cool, distant manner. However, when provoked, his eyes are so lethal ”they drain a man of every last bit of spleen." John is haunted by the murder of his family. Unbeknownst to those around him, he is also a vigilante. In the shadows, he fights with the commitment and conviction of an artist, the brutal grace of a dancer. Mentally and physically, he is covered in a map of scars. And though he fights to escape his past, it is often a losing battle... SERIES LEAD

Sarah – Female, Mid teens, Open Ethnicity. Troubled, bullied, often scared but unwilling to show it, Sarah is a loner more comfortable hiding in her hoodie than making friends. Haunted by a dark force inside her, Sarah experiences violent episodes that she cannot understand or control. She is also plagued by recurring nightmares that lead her across the country in search of help... SERIES REGULAR

Casey – Female, 20s, Open ethnicity. Casey is a tall, stunning woman, her beauty so magnificent it's almost inhuman. Elegant, refined and mysterious, she is on the hunt to discover who is trying to kill her and why. And those after her are in for a surprise because she's more deadly than anyone they've ever encountered... SERIES REGULAR

Jax – Male, Mid-late teens, Open Ethnicity, Asian preferred. Funny and charming, this amateur thief's humor hides his insecurities and past pain. Not the toughest kid on the streets, he's learned to survive in the world with his wit and quick-thinking... SERIES REGULAR

John, noted as the series lead, is most likely Dick Grayson, Batman's former sidekick Robin who later becomes Nightwing. Making Grayson a cop who moonlights as a vigilante could make the series similar to other superhero shows where the lead character must hide his secret identity, much like The Flash, who operates both as a superhero and as a forensic scientist for the police. It also appears that Grayson will be working alone at the beginning of the series before developing his team. Interestingly, this description of Grayson makes him sound more like Batman himself than the Boy Wonder.

Sarah, Casey, and Jax match up well with the comic book versions of Raven, Starfire, and Beast Boy, respectively. What we can gather from these descriptions is that the show will indeed be a darker adaption of the Teen Titans than what we're accustomed to. We will still have to wait for details before we can learn how their powers will be brought to life in the show. We're also not sure how big the cast will be, or if the series will feature other iconic Teen Titans characters, such as Cyborg. It's possible that Cyborg will be left out of the series since the character is set to appear in his own self-titled film as part of the DC Extended Universe, played by Ray Fisher. Cyborg is currently set to release in 2020. However, this may not be the case since Dick Grayson is also getting his own movie, Nightwing.

In the possible absence of Cyborg, other members of the team could easily take his place. Oracle, Hawk, and Dove were rumored to star in the series when it was still in development for TNT.

http://screenrant.com/dc-teen-titans-tv-series-casting-details/

Loxley

Huh didn't know they use fake names for casting calls, the more you know

Half of the time with these big superhero films the actors don't even find out what movie/character they're specifically auditioning for until they get to the screen-test phase with the final 3-5 actors. That's how secretive they've become.

wandering

Banned
I admit it, I giggled.

Has Beast Boy ever been Asian before? If not, I applaud them for at least trying to get an Asian male for the role.

I always thought of him as Latino. But Asian would be cool, I could see Ryan Potter being fit for the role.

(i lowkey wanted Dick to be the Asian one though)

I always thought of him as Latino. But Asian would be cool, I could see Ryan Potter being fit for the role.

(i lowkey wanted Dick to be the Asian one though)

I thought they might've when I saw who got cast as Raven and Starfire before seeing the character breakdowns. It's always funny how Open Ethnicity is for all the other roles, but god forbid, not the lead. LOL

Top Bottom