• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In April (And 5 To Avoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

I was interested in State of Play until I saw the trailer.

Any movie that uses the line "Trust no one" is automatically crossed off my to-see list.

DanielPlainview said:
9. Fighting (Montiel, April 24th)

fighting_montiel-500x334.jpg

Plot: In New York City, a young counterfeiter (Tatum) is introduced to the world of underground street fighting by a seasoned scam artist (Howard), who becomes his manager on the bare-knuckling brawling circuit.
The continuation of this scene that I'm playing out in my mind right now is probably a lot more interesting than the actual film.

Meier

I'm seeing Observe & Report tonight after work. I'll fill ya in on whether or not she gets her jubblies out. I can't wait for State of Play. <3 <3 <3 Russell Crowe.

The Soloist is obviously really bad as there's no reason to push it back from Oscar season otherwise. I did find the 60 Minutes report on the story interesting so I might see it but it's doubtful.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ChrisGoldstein said:
Great OP. I'll watch any thing with zooey she is quite possible the perfect woman. I watched all of the happenning sober and enjoyed it.

The mall cop rip off looks good too, I love rogen. Faris damn fine too.

It's not a rip off of Mall Cop.

a) This is actually supposed to be good.

b) How can they rip off a 2 month old movie? :p

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Will see Adventureland (looks funny enough + wife REALLY wants to see it) and Gigantic (because I'm a whore for all things Zooey DeSchanel). Two movies is about the most I ever are in s month, so that's probably it, though I still haven't seen Sunshine Cleaning yet so that may make s third.

Will see Fast and Furious someday, though probably not in theaters.

ChrisGoldstein said:
Great OP. I'll watch any thing with zooey she is quite possible the perfect woman. I watched all of the happenning sober and enjoyed it.

The mall cop rip off looks good too, I love rogen. Faris damn fine too.

It is NOT a rip off. Observe and Report was in development way before Paul Blart.

proposition said:
The continuation of this scene that I'm playing out in my mind right now is probably a lot more interesting than the actual film.

:lol :lol :lol

omgimaninja said:
Great post! I enjoy reading your website and your Twitter feed has brought movies to my attention I had forgotten about.

Thanks man! I appreciate it.

Kastro

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Why You Should See It: The trailer used Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros. That should be reason enough.

Why, because it certifies that someone on the crew is a hipster? Sure, that's reason enough.

Kastro said:
Why, because it certifies that someone on the crew is a hipster? Sure, that's reason enough.

Hell yeah! That song elevates any trailer. Look at Children of Men and Slumdog Millionaire. I've actually never seen Planet Earth, but the film should be a good starting point.

DanielPlainview said:
It is NOT a rip off. Observe and Report was in development way before Paul Blart.
This drives me fucking nuts I don't know how many people have told me it was a Paul Fart knockoff.

This year is looking to be pretty weak in movies. This summer especially is lacking. There's a nice big flow of movies in May but then the rest of the summer is pretty dead surprisingly.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
proposition said:
Street%20Fighter%20II%20(YOKO)%20[p1][!]%200.jpg

Marty Chinn said:
This year is looking to be pretty weak in movies. This summer especially is lacking. There's a nice big flow of movies in May but then the rest of the summer is pretty dead surprisingly.

What? This year is looking so much better than previous ones

Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Public Enemies
Up
Bruno
The Year One
The Hangover
Whatever Works
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
Transfomers (I know, but it will be fun)
G.I. Joe (I know, but it might be fun)
500 Days of Summer
New Harry Potter
Funny People
Taking Woodstock
Inglourious Basterds
Away We Go
Limits of Control
Angels & Demons (hated the 1st, but this looks better)
The Hurt Locker (Already seen it, this movie is AMAZING. My fav of the year)

ZeoVGM

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

I have to agree, to be honest. I'm a little disappointed in the upcoming slate, though there are plenty of movies I don't know about.

May has Terminator, Star Trek, and Up, which all look awesome.

June has Transformers 2, but not until the end. Land of the Lost could go either way.

July has Bruno, which I can't wait for. And Funny People should be good.

August has Inglorious Basterds.

Kind of tame, not terrible though I guess.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This month looks atrocious. I'll consider Observe and Report if I'm particularly bored, but I wouldn't even be interested in renting 95% of the rest.

I might go see Sleep Dealer though.

DanielPlainview said:
Hell yeah! That song elevates any trailer. Look at Children of Men and Slumdog Millionaire.
No. I've been a lover of Sigur Ros for ages, but their use in the Children of Men trailer was awful and misguided. It was way off the mark tonally.

Solo

BrightYoungThing said:
Did Ana Farris get breast implants or did I just not notice how nice they are before?

I mean goddam.

Yes, she did a few years ago. She also fucked up her face with plastic surgery. She used to have a really cute face, but now her whole mouth area is fucked up.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Your list is shit. Have you even seen the trailers for your #9 and #10? In fact, one of the best trailers this month belongs to 17 Again, but I guess the superficial connection of High School Musical Kid is enough to instantly turn off any movie blog guy worth his salt in movie blogness.

17 Again will be one of the best comedies of the year, mark my words.

Ford Prefect said:
Your list is shit. Have you even seen the trailers for your #9 and #10? In fact, one of the best trailers this month belongs to 17 Again, but I guess the superficial connection of High School Musical Kid is enough to instantly turn off any movie blog guy worth his salt in movie blogness.

Never seen High School Musical, but it was actually the awful trailer that turned me off of this movie. I loved Efron in Hairspray, I have nothing against him. This just looks awful. Wish he could have made a different film, but I guess he is just stuck to this boring ABC Family-style shit.

Ford Prefect said:

I actually thought the premise sounded interesting. (a bit of a rip-off of Freaky Friday but still.)

But I am extremely skeptical seeing as it stars Zac Efron.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ford Prefect said:
Your list is shit.

Relax there, cowboy.

Have you even seen the trailers for your #9 and #10?

I made a whole thread where I expected nothing but people shitting on #10, but most people seemed to want to see it. :p

Solo said:
Yes, she did a few years ago. She also fucked up her face with plastic surgery. She used to have a really cute face, but now her whole mouth area is fucked up.

She's still a beautiful girl. I saw some pictures of her recently. Looks great.

And nothing wrong with a flat girl getting breast implants as long as she doesn't go too big, which sadly, many girls do. Doesn't seem like she did though.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The Soloist sounds incredible, right up my alley. I also want to see Adventureland, since I live by an amusement park that shares that name and I have lots of nostalgia of that place.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
And nothing wrong with a flat girl getting breast implants as long as she doesn't go too big, which sadly, many girls do. Doesn't seem like she did though.
Well except for the whole idiotic notion that being "flat" is somehow a bad thing. Certainly societal pressures don't play this at all.

Anyway, this list of movies is hot garbage. Observe & Report upsets me since the whole thing is set in motion by LUL A FLASHER LUL. I might get next to blackout drunk and go to Crank 2. But really, that's all I am gonna bother commenting on. Jpraup has already been rode on enough in this thread.

DanielPlainview said:

Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Public Enemies
Up
Bruno
The Year One
The Hangover
Whatever Works
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
500 Days of Summer
New Harry Potter
Funny People
Taking Woodstock
Inglourious Basterds
Away We Go
Limits of Control

Shrug, I look at the summer listing and this is what's on my radar as what I'll probably go see:

May
Wolverine
Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Up

June
Transformers

July
Harry Potter

August
GI Joe

Maybes
Angel & Demons
Public Enemies

That's compared this in 2008:

May
Iron Man
Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian
Indiana Jones

June
The Incredible Hulk
Wall-E
Wanted

July
Hancock
Hellboy 2
The Dark Knight
The X-Files

August
The Mummy
Pineapple Express
Tropic Thunder

Or in 2007

May
Spider-Man 3
28 Weeks Later
Shrek the Third
Pirates of the Caribbean At Worlds End

June
Knocked Up
Ocean's Thirteen
Live Free or Die Hard
Ratatouille

July
Transformers
Harry Potter
The Simpsons

August
The Bourne Ultimatum
Stardust
Superbad

Now I'm not saying that all those movies are good, but there was at least something of interest quite often. I practically had a movie a week to check out during summers of 2007 and 2008. This year it looks like May is booked and then I've got about one movie a month for the next three months. I'm sure new movies will hit my radar as they get closer to release but right now, it's looking empty to me.

May - 4
June - 4
July - 3
August - 3
Total = 14

May - 3
June - 3
July - 4
August - 3
Total = 13

May - 4
June - 1
July - 1
August - 1
Maybes - 2
Total = 7 - 9

That's why this summer seems dead compared to the last few years to me.

Dabanton

Blader5489 said:
I was interested in State of Play until I saw the trailer.

Any movie that uses the line "Trust no one" is automatically crossed off my to-see list.

Just get a hold of the superior BBC televison series from a few years back that the film is based on.

Lambtron said:
Well except for the whole idiotic notion that being "flat" is somehow a bad thing. Certainly societal pressures don't play this at all.

Anyway, this list of movies is hot garbage. Observe & Report upsets me since the whole thing is set in motion by LUL A FLASHER LUL. I might get next to blackout drunk and go to Crank 2. But really, that's all I am gonna bother commenting on. Jpraup has already been rode on enough in this thread.
You realize Observe and Report is a comedy right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Will go see Crank 2 and Observe and Report, will probably netflix Gigantic, and on the fence with Adventureland.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lambtron said:

I never said it was a bad thing. So relax.

But, shockingly, some women who are flat don't like being flat. If they have the money, who cares what they do with their body? As long as the girl isn't going overboard (i.e. A to a D, or getting surgery all over her body multiple times), if she wants implants, who cares?

I'm one of the people who could care less if a women has fake or real boobs, as long as the fake ones aren't fucked up. Sadly, a lot of women do that. Anna Faris, based on some pictures, didn't seem to have gone up that much higher.

Anyway, this list of movies is hot garbage. Observe & Report upsets me since the whole thing is set in motion by LUL A FLASHER LUL.

Wow, you're pretty much the least fun person ever.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best
Pretty interested in :

Gigantic
State of Play
Sugar
Adventureland
Observe and Report

I doubt I will see all of those in the theater but still a pretty good looking month, I guess.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
sigh.. I don't know why I come into these threads of yours... in my eyes your taste is utterly horrible. I suppose mainly for the 10 movies I should stay away from and the 5 movies I should see... simply unbelievable... still, decent quality I guess (even if I couldn't possibly agree less)

Alucard

Banned
How the OP HASN'T broken the advertising conduct rules on the forum is beyond me, but his posts are info filled and relevant to this board, so why not.

I'm not looking forward to seeing any of the movies listed this month. Bring on May, and bring on Trek.

DanielPlainview said:
3. Adventureland (Mottola, April 3rd)

Why You Should See It: This was on my March list, but it got moved to this month. Greg Mottola, director of Superbad, is behind the camera and pen for this comedy. Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Bill Hader, and Ryan Reynolds star in what looks like to be one of the funniest films of the year.

KRISTEN WIIG.

KRISTEN WIIG.

border said:
Is Earth just a truncated rehash of Planet Earth, or does it contain new material?

It's my understanding that it's a truncated version of Planet Earth with new narration. So if you own it already, you already own the super deluxe extended cut.

KevinCow

Banned
I find it funny that there's a movie called Fighting. If we're going with that naming convention, most of the movies out there should be called Fighting, Shooting, Driving, or Talking.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
I never said it was a bad thing. So relax.

But, shockingly, some women who are flat don't like being flat. If they have the money, who cares what they do with their body? As long as the girl isn't going overboard (i.e. A to a D, or getting surgery all over her body multiple times), if she wants implants, who cares?

I'm one of the people who could care less if a women has fake or real boobs, as long as the fake ones aren't fucked up. Sadly, a lot of women do that. Anna Faris, based on some pictures, didn't seem to have gone up that much higher.
Yeah, even though you are trying to explain yourself here, you're basically just showing exactly why I said anything at all. Your ideas on this aren't surprising given your (im)maturity level.

In a vacuum, cosmetic plastic surgery (I'm excepting like, plastic surgery that's required because of an accident or for, say, a woman who had a mastectomy) might be okay. But in our culture that uses airbrushed, unrealistic photos as a baseline for an unobtainable beauty standard I don't think its okay. Most of these doctors are preying on people with low self esteem who have self image issues. Or people in the public eye (e.g., celebrities) who don't fit what the Maxims and Cosmos of the world refer to as "beautiful." And it's pretty hard to just accept it as a neutral decision because of all this pressure that exists in society.

You're right, though, that if they want to do it they're more entitled. What you are absolutely wrong on, though, is that their entitlement of surgery should in any way be affected by what image of a woman you want to tug on your hog to. Maybe she wants "fucked up" fake tits. Maybe she wants saline boobs as big as her head. Maybe that doesn't get your rocks off, but that's irrelevant.

There's such an entitled fucking idea amongst the public that these people are here for us to ogle. We dissect every outfit they wear and judge them on how they go out of the house. And shit, I don't just mean celebrities. Everyone is going to look different, and maybe instead of discussing whether or not the current celebrity of the moment's boob job makes our dicks hard, maybe we should fucking just come to terms with the fact that people are different and that's okay.

Wow, you're pretty much the least fun person ever.
Well if sexual assault luls is the baseline for "fun," then I guess I'm not fun.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
It doesn't seem like a spectacular month to me on the surface, but there could be a few surprises on that list. I really enjoyed the Observe and Report commercials (it looks like the better mall cop movie of the year). State of Play and The Soloist have me interested because of the directors (I'm actually watching The Last King of Scotland right now). This is the first time I've heard of Sugar, but I'm a sucker for sentimental baseball movies.

DanielPlainview said:

Star Trek
Terminator Salvation
Public Enemies
Up
Bruno
The Year One
The Hangover
Whatever Works
The Brothers Bloom
Moon
500 Days of Summer
New Harry Potter
Funny People
Taking Woodstock
Inglourious Basterds
Away We Go
Limits of Control
And you forgot Avatar.

And holy shit everyone is really buzzing about The Hurt Locker, it really is that good isn't it...

ZeoVGM

Banned
Lambtron said:
Yeah, even though you are trying to explain yourself here, you're basically just showing exactly why I said anything at all. Your ideas on this aren't surprising given your (im)maturity level.

That would make sense if I were immature, rather than having an opinion that differs from your own (and might I add, close minded) opinion.

Get off your high horse.

There's such an entitled fucking idea amongst the public that these people are here for us to ogle. We dissect every outfit they wear and judge them on how they go out of the house.

Actually, that's correct. They ARE here for us to ogle.

The simple fact of the matter is that that is part of being a celebrity. That is part of the job. They make millions of dollars. So yep, they can deal with being "ogled". It's part of the job.

Don't like heights? Don't be a pilot. Don't want the public eye to ogle your every move? Don't be a celebrity. When these people decide to put themselves in the public eye, they are making a decision to be ogled.

Is it RIGHT? Of course not. But that's how it is.

Well if sexual assault luls is the baseline for "fun," then I guess I'm not fun.

Are you kidding me? :lol

You don't care about Observe and Report because it has someone flashing in the beginning, because that is sexual assault?

Lighten up.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
polyh3dron said:
And you forgot Avatar.

And holy shit everyone is really buzzing about The Hurt Locker, it really is that good isn't it...
also forgot where the wild things are :)

Meier

No Anna Faris boobs in O&R although she does get boned multiple times and she's in a bra. There is one scene with 2 naked chicks....... but other than that, there is an INTENSE amount of penis.

Great movie -- it's not a straight up comedy though by any means, so don't get in expecting that or you'll be disappointed. Aziz's limited role in it is awesome -- same with Danny McBride.

Blader

Ford Prefect said:

April Fools?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom