• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In April (And 5 To Avoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

omg rite said:
I have to agree, to be honest. I'm a little disappointed in the upcoming slate, though there are plenty of movies I don't know about.

May has Terminator, Star Trek, and Up, which all look awesome.

June has Transformers 2, but not until the end. Land of the Lost could go either way.

July has Bruno, which I can't wait for. And Funny People should be good.

August has Inglorious Basterds.

Kind of tame, not terrible though I guess.

You forgot Moon, which has been getting amazing reviews.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
omg rite said:
That would make sense if I were immature, rather than having an opinion that differs from your own (and might I add, close minded) opinion.

Get off your high horse.
This sounds like something my younger brother would tell me. Heh.

Look, this isn't like me saying Coke is better than Pepsi, having never drank Pepsi, and refusing to drink Pepsi. If you honestly don't think that there is any societal pressure for females to live up to the plastic perfection that is peddled by the media, then you're even more of a man child than I thought. In the end, this is their decision, sure. But that doesn't mean you can't be subliminally lead to do this shit.

I'm not riding a high horse. This shit is genuinely important. And I guess if you can't see that then there isn't much I can fucking do. At least plastic surgery doctors can buy another Porsche, and Maxim can keep a steady stream of "models" to make look like Real Dolls.

Furthermore, your tendency to lean on "IT'S JUST AN OPINION, MAN" in essentially every argument you have on here is basically the most infuriating thing ever. You let yourself be implicit in really bad shit like this because instead of opening your mind and horizons you just go "BUT I'M ENTITLED TO MY OPINION." I know way too many people like this in real life, too. But hey it's your life and your conscience.

Actually, that's correct. They ARE here for us to ogle.

The simple fact of the matter is that that is part of being a celebrity. That is part of the job. They make millions of dollars. So yep, they can deal with being "ogled". It's part of the job.

Don't like heights? Don't be a pilot. Don't want the public eye to ogle your every move? Don't be a celebrity. When these people decide to put themselves in the public eye, they are making a decision to be ogled.

Is it RIGHT? Of course not. But that's how it is.
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. Celebrity worship is pretty disgusting. We don't treat them like human fucking beings. TMZ and Perez Hilton and all that shit is disgusting. EXTRA EXTRA JENNIFER ANISTON TOOK A HUGE SHIT AFTER EATING MEXICAN FOOD!!!!!

I don't think all of them are making a decision to be in the public eye. There are obviously people who want nothing more than to be in the public eye (e.g., Paris Hilton), but I doubt most of them want or appreciate every second of their lives being documented. Saying "they're making a decision to be ogled!" is pretty fucking victim blame-y. And saying "well it is what it is" is pretty stupid after just saying that it's not right.

Are you kidding me? :lol

You don't care about Observe and Report because it has someone flashing in the beginning, because that is sexual assault?

Lighten up.
I'm not going to lighten up on something like this. I don't lol at all the RAPE TIME Photoshops either. It's just not funny, and it's not something that should be made light of. That happens way, way too often.

Alucard said:
How the OP HASN'T broken the advertising conduct rules on the forum is beyond me, but his posts are info filled and relevant to this board, so why not.

I'm not looking forward to seeing any of the movies listed this month. Bring on May, and bring on Trek.

I got ok'ed by the mods to post original content.

BenjaminBirdie said:
KRISTEN WIIG.

KRISTEN WIIG.

NO, Kristen STEWART is in the film: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829576/

along with Wiig, but I was talking about Stewart.

polyh3dron said:
And you forgot Avatar.

And holy shit everyone is really buzzing about The Hurt Locker, it really is that good isn't it...

Avatar is a winter release, not summer. December 19th.

whytemyke said:
also forgot where the wild things are :)

Where The Wild Things Are is a fall release, not summer. October 16th.

ZeoVGM

Banned
then you're even more of a man child than I thought.

I could take your argument more seriously if you weren't acting like a child yourself with your attacks.

Don't fucking reply to me with rude little attacks, when I never did that to you. Because then you are the immature manchild. Want to make a point? Do it like an adult.

You're not worth arguing with at this point. I think you're the type of person who needs to be offended so they can stand out as the one who stood up against immoral aspects of humanity. So I'll say this and it'll be over.

Lambtron said:
If you honestly don't think that there is any societal pressure for females to live up to the plastic perfection that is peddled by the media

Never once did I even imply that. That's absolutely true, but I think mainly for younger people. But shockingly, and I know this may be hard to believe, MOST (not all) 30 year old women are intelligent and grown up enough to know they shouldn't get fake tits to fit in. Hence why most don't do it.

The simple fact is, we don't know what goes through the mind of someone you don't know when she gets implants. I've known multiple women who have gotten them and had an ex that wanted to get them eventually. It was no different than me wanting to put on weight to feel better about myself. I don't give a shit if someone else thinks I'm too skinny, I personally don't like it. And it was the same for the women I know who got/want to get implants. Just because they wanted to. Not because society told them too.

You don't give women enough credit to think for themselves.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Blader5489 said:
April Fools?
No, the trailer's hilarious, Thomas Lennon's hilarious, and as far as I can tell just by watching the trailer, Efron plays the role of older-guy-in-younger-guy's body perfectly believably. Just because he made it big in worthless pre-teen drivel doesn't mean he doesn't have any legitimate charm and talent up his sleeve.

edit: upon watching the trailer a second time, the movie does look like it might falter if it focuses too much on lame father/child stuff and not enough on the main character macking on teenage girls.

Lambtron said:
This sounds like something my younger brother would tell me. Heh.

Look, this isn't like me saying Coke is better than Pepsi, having never drank Pepsi, and refusing to drink Pepsi. If you honestly don't think that there is any societal pressure for females to live up to the plastic perfection that is peddled by the media, then you're even more of a man child than I thought. In the end, this is their decision, sure. But that doesn't mean you can't be subliminally lead to do this shit.

I'm not riding a high horse. This shit is genuinely important. And I guess if you can't see that then there isn't much I can fucking do. At least plastic surgery doctors can buy another Porsche, and Maxim can keep a steady stream of "models" to make look like Real Dolls.

Furthermore, your tendency to lean on "IT'S JUST AN OPINION, MAN" in essentially every argument you have on here is basically the most infuriating thing ever. You let yourself be implicit in really bad shit like this because instead of opening your mind and horizons you just go "BUT I'M ENTITLED TO MY OPINION." I know way too many people like this in real life, too. But hey it's your life and your conscience.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth here. Celebrity worship is pretty disgusting. We don't treat them like human fucking beings. TMZ and Perez Hilton and all that shit is disgusting. EXTRA EXTRA JENNIFER ANISTON TOOK A HUGE SHIT AFTER EATING MEXICAN FOOD!!!!!

I don't think all of them are making a decision to be in the public eye. There are obviously people who want nothing more than to be in the public eye (e.g., Paris Hilton), but I doubt most of them want or appreciate every second of their lives being documented. Saying "they're making a decision to be ogled!" is pretty fucking victim blame-y. And saying "well it is what it is" is pretty stupid after just saying that it's not right.

I'm not going to lighten up on something like this. I don't lol at all the RAPE TIME Photoshops either. It's just not funny, and it's not something that should be made light of. That happens way, way too often.

Your points are not false, but I think they're coming off a bit strong for the context of this argument.

Plastic surgery can be problematic if a person uses it as a crutch to bolster a low self-esteem, but that doesn't necessarily make it 'not ok'. The fact is, people sometimes just don't like the way that they look, and if we have the ability to help them attain a more self-pleasing self-image, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The other thing is that even if there is pleasure, people still have cosmetic surgery of their own free will and their own volition. Doing something out of pressure doesn't make a person not culpable for the act that they participated in voluntarily, so even if societal pressures to conform to a certain standards can contribute to a person getting cosmetic surgery, that doesn't mean that the person who got the surgery has been victimized, at least not in the traditional sense of the term.

I also don't really blame people like Maxim for doing what they do. I'm not sure whether it's right or wrong, but it's just intelligent to see that it's easy to make money when you market a product using extant societal preferences.

I also agree that celebrity worship is pretty disgusting and unnecessary, though I suppose I'd add that for me, I'm not entirely of the opinion that celebrities are 'victims'. It's unfortunate what they must go through as a consequence of their status, and I hate that their privacy is violated (and I don't really understand why anybody cares about their social lives, unless one of them does something really crazy); at the same time, though, I think that there are a lot of perks to being a celebrity, so it's not just a one-way street of misery and despair in the public eye. I also don't think that there's anything wrong with looking at available pictures of somebody that you think is attractive, which is why I don't mind the idea of 'ogling' celebrities as long as it's not taken too far.

As far as the flashing in Observe and Report goes, I don't think that the movie tries to present the flashing as being funny. The normal character in the movie (Ray Liotta) treats it as a serious thing and tries to be sensitive, but Rogen's character goes completely psychotic as a result of this incident. I think the humor is not in the flashing but in Rogen's character's reactions to it (because while it is unfortunate that flashing happens, it's not the crime of the century, so while flashing is not funny, the idea of somebody going batshit insane and completely overreacting to it could be).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm extremely excited about SUGAR. half nelson is one of my favorite movies of the past few years, and i expect big things from those guys.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't care if Kristen DOUGLAS is in the film.

TOP BILLING.

(Or TOP BILLWIING.)

I named those four people because those are the performances I'm looking foward to most in the film. They are the main reason why it is on the list, not Wiig.

I may be eating my words about 17 Again tomorrow. The reviews are pretty positive and it's already out in UK with great twitterbuzz. I'll be seeing a press screening tomorrow with my interest slightly piqued.

I loved Adventureland and Observe and Report. Haven't seen F and F yet. Crank: High Voltage this week!

How has April films been so far for everyone else?

I will eat crow. 17 Again was really good. This movie will make serious bank and Efron has some definite acting potential. Give him 10 years and he will be winning Oscars. Check the film out if you have a chance.

Blader

DanielPlainview said:
I will eat crow. 17 Again was really good. This movie will make serious bank and Efron has some definite acting potential. Give him 10 years and he will be winning Oscars. Check the film out if you have a chance.

WorstFuckingAttorney.gif

Wii said:
Preeeetty much

All I want to see this year is AVATAR and MOON
And 'Power of the Dark Crystal', if it makes it this year

Not even Shutter Island, Where the Wild Things Are, or Up? They all look incredible..

Blader5489 said:

:lol As much as it makes me upset, it's true. Watch the movie if you don't believe me.

Blackhead

Redarse
Dan said:
This month looks atrocious. I'll consider Observe and Report if I'm particularly bored, but I wouldn't even be interested in renting 95% of the rest.

I might go see Sleep Dealer though.

No. I've been a lover of Sigur Ros for ages, but their use in the Children of Men trailer was awful and misguided. It was way off the mark tonally.
same here, did you see it yet? I should make a rotten watch thread for it, i saw a good review in Wired...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Charred Greyface said:
same here, did you see it yet? I should make a rotten watch thread for it, i saw a good review in Wired...
Well it just opened a few hours ago, so not yet. I'll try to get to it over the weekend.

Acid08

Banned
You know what....the Hannah Montana Movie wasn't that bad. It was kinda heartwarming and had a few laughs. Plus Miley Cyrus in skimpy clothes the whole time.

Then Crank 2 started right after. Fuck. That's really the only word I can use to describe that movie. I love having friends that work at the local movie theatre. Free movies all the time :D .

I saw Sin Nombre (#4 on my March list) and it was freaking awesome. One of the best films I've seen this year. Check it out if its playing near you!

Here is my movie schedule:

Crank 2- 7pm tomorrow
Earth - 7pm monday
Paris 36 - 10am tuesday
The Soloist - 7pm tuesday
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 7pm Apr 29th :D

Acid08

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
I saw Sin Nombre (#4 on my March list) and it was freaking awesome. One of the best films I've seen this year. Check it out if its playing near you!

Here is my movie schedule:

Crank 2- 7pm tomorrow
Earth - 7pm monday
Paris 36 - 10am tuesday
The Soloist - 7pm tuesday
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 7pm Apr 29th :D
Do you think you'll be able to talk about T2 after you see it, or wait a while?

Dizzan

MINI Member
Has anybody seen The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? It has just been released in Australia and looks good based on the trailer.

Is it worth watching?

Dizzan said:
Has anybody seen The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas? It has just been released in Australia and looks good based on the trailer.

Is it worth watching?

It's kind of manipulative, but worth checking out.

LM4sure

Banned
That list is terrible. F&F is a movie to check out?! It is apparently the worst of the series, and that is saying a lot considering how bad the other films were.

17 Again is actually a good movie. Whatever idiot wrote this list just decided to tell us we should avoid it because it has that Zack Efron kid in it.

Acid08

Banned
LM4sure said:
That list is terrible. F&F is a movie to check out?! It is apparently the worst of the series, and that is saying a lot considering how bad the other films were.

17 Again is actually a good movie. Whatever idiot wrote this list just decided to tell us we should avoid it because it has that Zack Efron kid in it.
Look up a few posts buddy. I generally like Plainviews lists a lot actually.

LM4sure said:

Yeah F & F was the only one I was unsure about. I just watched it and it was fucking terrible. I'm sorry GAF.

Also, yes. Check out my 17 Again reviews. I enjoyed it quite a bit, surprisingly :D

I have to admit, 17 Again was surprisingly decent, as with Efron himself. Cliches and unnecessary star vehicle movie staples - (male) topless scenes, dancing, etc. - ruin its chances of being more than good, but they used the gimmick well with some pleasantly funny and awkward scenes. Thoman Lennon's character was probably the standout, although his romance subplot was fairly unbelievable, if wickedly enjoyable at first glance. That sums up the film, basically: it might have proved surprisingly good after being dragged to see it, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out again.

Tim the Wiz said:
I have to admit, 17 Again was surprisingly decent, as with Efron himself. Cliches and unnecessary star vehicle movie staples - (male) topless scenes, etc. - ruin its chances of being more than good, but they used the gimmick well with some pleasantly funny and awkward scenes. Thoman Lennon's character was probably the standout, although his romance subplot was fairly unbelievable, if wickedly enjoyable at first glance. That sums up the film, basically: it might have proved surprisingly good after being dragged to see it, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out again.

I thought it actually had a lot of weird offbeat humor
The lightsaber fight was pretty awesome :)
and I agree about the romance subplot being completely unbelievable.
When she talked back in Elvespeak I lol'ed

Just got back from a press screening of Earth. It was absolutely astounding. Beautiful cinematography and stories. Little heavy on the environment msg but def worth seeing!

Will post a full review later.

Ceres

Banned
Solo said:
Isnt Earth just a heavily condensed version of Planet Earth?

Based on the previews it seems like they cut it down to focus on three different species that were in the full version. James Earl Jones narrates the US version of this which I think would be a nice touch versus Sigourney Weaver. I doubt anything could top David Attenborough though.

Let's see, I've now seen two of the films on this list. The top two, in fact.

One had some minor expectations and was a complete letdown.

One had major expectations and was a complete fucking out of the park home run. Nothing but fun and laughs and just good times all around.

Try to guess which is which!

Hint: Crank 2 fucking rocked

just saw The Soloist. What a trainwreck of a movie :lol Can totally see how it got pushed back. The audience seems to absolutely love it though. If you guys have any questions about it I can answer. Just finished recording podcast episode #6 where we review it, Earth and talk abt Crank: High Voltage + Sin Nombre. Should have it up by Friday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom