• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In April (And 5 To Avoid)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, got some positive feedback from my March list. So here is one for this month!

Not sure what is coming out this month? Here is my rundown of my most anticipated films coming out this month:

10. Fast & Furious (Lin, April 3rd)

fast_and_furious_look_back.jpg

Plot: As he is released from prison, Brian O'Conner teams up with Dominic Toretto work with the feds to bring down a heroin importer by infiltrating his operation.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: I'm actually not sure if this is a film to watch or avoid. The first one was enjoyable and it looks like a return to the original. I've heard early buzz that it is a decent popcorn flick.

9. Fighting (Montiel, April 24th)

fighting_montiel-500x334.jpg

Plot: In New York City, a young counterfeiter (Tatum) is introduced to the world of underground street fighting by a seasoned scam artist (Howard), who becomes his manager on the bare-knuckling brawling circuit.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Dito Montiel. He directed one of my favorite films in 2006, A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. He got a good performance out of Channing Tatum then, and I hope he does the same with this film. Adding Terrence Howard to the mix should make a good time.

8. Earth (Fothergill, Linfield, April 24th)

earth-500x280.jpg

Plot: Feature-length version of the documentary TV series Planet Earth (2006), following the migration paths of four animal families.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: The trailer used Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros. That should be reason enough.

7. State of Play (Macdonald, April 17th)

stateofplayus.jpg

Plot: Based on the BBC mini-series of the same title, a team of investigative reporters work alongside a police detective to try to solve the murder of a congressman’s mistress.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Kevin Macdonald (The Last King of Scotland) directs Rachel McAdams, Ben Affleck, Russell Crowe, Jason Bateman, Helen Mirren, Viola Davis, and Jeff Daniels in what looks to be a solid political thriller. I thought the direction in The Last King of Scotland was superb, so I’m looking forward to this.

6. Gigantic (Aselton, April 3rd) (limited)

gigantic-500x334.jpg

Plot: Mattress salesman Brian Weathersby (Dano) finds his plan to adopt a Chinese baby augmented by the arrival of a young woman, Happy (Deschanel), who comes into his workplaces, falls asleep on one of the beds, and starts to affect his life upon waking up.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Deschanel is completely charming and this indie comedy-drama looks to be pretty clever. I'm interested to see if Dano can hold his own as a lead.

5. The Soloist (Wright, April 24th)

soloist_1.jpg

Plot: A Los Angeles Journalist befriends a homeless Julliard trained musician, while looking for a new article for the paper.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After getting pushed back from the ’08 Oscar season, this drama starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx looks like it still has some promise. Joe Wright (Atonement) is an astonishing director so I have a lot of faith. Let's hope it's not 100% Oscar bait, like the trailer makes it out to be.

4. Sugar (Boden, Fleck, April 3rd) (limited)

sugar-500x334.jpg

Plot: A player from the Dominican Republic, inspired by the famous movie Field of Dreams, wants to play minor league baseball in Iowa.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: From the writer/director husband/wife team behind Half-Nelson, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck. If it is anywhere near as good as that film this will be one of the best of the year.

3. Adventureland (Mottola, April 3rd)

adventureland-600x401.jpg

Plot: During the summer of 1987, recent college grad James Brennan (Eisenberg) takes what he thinks is a going-nowhere job at his local amusement park, only to discover it’s a perfect opportunity to prepare himself for the real world.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: This was on my March list, but it got moved to this month. Greg Mottola, director of Superbad, is behind the camera and pen for this comedy. Jesse Eisenberg, Kristen Stewart, Bill Hader, and Ryan Reynolds star in what looks like to be one of the funniest films of the year.

2. Crank: High Voltage (Neveldine, Taylor, April 17th)

crankhighvoltage5.jpg

Plot: Chelios faces a Chinese mobster who has stolen his nearly indestructible heart and replaced it with a battery-powered ticker that requires regular jolts of electricity to keep working.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: It’s Crank. 2. High Voltage.

1. Observe and Report (Hill, April 10th)

observe-report-wbfl-rogen-02-500x303.jpg

Plot: Bi-polar mall security guard Ronnie Barnhardt is called into action to stop a flasher from turning shopper’s paradise into his personal peep show. But when Barnhardt can’t bring the culprit to justice, a surly police detective, is recruited to close the case.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Jody Hill: writer, director, producer of last year’s Foot Fist Way and this year’s HBO series Eastbound and Down, is the brains behind this comedy starring Seth Rogen, Anna Faris, and Ray Liotta. I absolutely love his style of comedy so this is my most anticipated film of the month.

-

5 Movies to Avoid

Dragonball: Evolution (Wong, April 10th)

b-dragonball-evolution-41e7bb0d454f.jpeg

Plot: The young warrior Son Goku sets out on a quest, racing against time and the vengeful King Piccolo, to collect a set of seven magical orbs that will grant their wielder unlimited power.

Trailer

Why You Should Stay Far Away: This movie looks so so bad, but then again it could end up being the ultimate B-movie. Variety gave it a positive review.I've never been interested in the franchise and this movie doesn't look like it will change my mind.

17 Again (Steers, April 24th)

17_again-500x332.jpg

Plot: About a guy whose life didn't quite turn out how he wanted it to and wishes he could go back to high school and change it. He wakes up one day and is seventeen again and gets the chance to rewrite his life.

Trailer

Why You Should Stay Far Away: This looks like a really bad ABC Family movie, but somehow it will make millions and millions of dollars. It is directed by the guy that did Igby Goes Down, which was remarkable, but couldn't he have done a better project?

Obsessed (Shill, April 24th)

obsessed_600-500x320.jpg

Plot: A successful professional man with a beautiful wife finds his idyllic life threatened by a temp in his office who reveals herself as a stalker.

Trailer

Why You Should Stay Far Away:After watching the trailer, it looks like every element of this film was borrowed from everyother film ever made.While that isn't necessarily a bad thing, this just looks horrendous.

The Informers (Jordan, April 24th) (limited)

the-informers1-500x334.jpg

Plot: Published in 1995, the collection of loosely connected short stories captures a week in L.A. in 1983, featuring movie executives, rock stars, a vampire and other morally challenged characters in adventures laced with sex, drugs and violence.

Trailer

Why You Should Stay Far Away: Sundance reviews of the film have called it unwatchable and a complete mess. For some that could be reason to check it out, but for most I would not get anywhere near this film.

Hannah Montana: The Movie (Chelsom, April 10th)

hannah-montana-the-movie.png

Plot: As Hannah Montana's popularity begins to take over her life, Miley Stewart, on the urging from her father takes a trip to her hometown of Crowley Corners, Tennessee to get some perspective on what matters in life the most.

Trailer

Why You Should Stay Far Away: Just...no.

What do you want to see this month?

Runus

Looks like a great month for movies leading into the summer season. I can't wait for Crank 2. I loved the first one.

BrightYoungThing said:
Did Ana Farris get breast implants or did I just not notice how nice they are before?

I mean goddam.

They were nice in The House Bunny, but they are GREAT in Observe and Report trailers. I wonder if she gets nude in the movie...

Costanza

Banned
I'll also be seeing The Informers. Don't care how terrible it is - I read that Amber Heard is fully naked in every scene she's in.

DanielPlainview said:
They were nice in The House Bunny, but they are GREAT in Observe and Report trailers. I wonder if she gets nude in the movie...
Indeed. Just one more reason for me to see that film opening fucking day.

boobface.gif

Costanza said:
I'll also be seeing The Informers. Don't care how terrible it is - I read that Amber Heard is fully naked in every scene she's in.

Yes!

82584_Amber_Heard_6Jack_marzo_2008_02819_123_416lo.jpg

So hot. Heard it doesn't save the movie though. :(

Thanks, Plainview! I like reading these every month.

Definitely going to check out Adventureland, but I'm not sure if I'll see anything else. By the way, the BBC miniseries for "State of Play" is great and well worth checking out. I have no idea how the movie will be, but the BBC version has Kelly Macdonald, Bill Nighy, Polly Walker, etc... They played the whole thing on BBC America a while back.

I'm probably going to see Adventureland, if only because much of it was filmed at Kennywood, the greatest amusement park in the country.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
BrightYoungThing said:
Did Ana Farris get breast implants or did I just not notice how nice they are before?

I mean goddam.

I had the same reaction. I've only seen her in scary movie, but for the love of christ, she's actually hot!

Son of Godzilla said:
Your judgment seems random. Avoid Dragonball and The Informers but see Crank or FnF?

Crank will be pure action bliss, and if it is anything like the first it will be a ton of fun. Same can be said for FnF (to a lesser degree, that's why it's #10). Dragonball on the other hand just looks horrid, and The Informers doesn't look much better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can you add links to your previous months in all these threads? A bunch of the March ones are still not out in the UK, so I'll have to sit on it for a while, which means I'll forget them. So having links in future threads will help remind me and others.

I love this kind of list - goes beyond the standard big movie fare that gets decent press coverage, into the smaller movies that don't get good press but deserve watching. Just what I could do with.

mrklaw said:
Can you add links to your previous months in all these threads? A bunch of the March ones are still not out in the UK, so I'll have to sit on it for a while, which means I'll forget them. So having links in future threads will help remind me and others.

I love this kind of list - goes beyond the standard big movie fare that gets decent press coverage, into the smaller movies that don't get good press but deserve watching. Just what I could do with.

yes I can! This is only the 2nd month I've done it. There will also be a list under my Features section. Glad people are enjoying these :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Son of Godzilla said:
Your judgment seems random. Avoid Dragonball and The Informers but see Crank or FnF?

FnF (when its on form) and Crank are perfectly bad movies. I include the transporter series in with that too (haven't seen 3 though).

They are dumb, brash movies but somehow they aren't Steven Seagal shitfests. Its like they know they're dumb, and they just go out and enjoy themselves - and that really shows on screen IMO.

I get the same kind of feeling from those movies as I do from the first pirates movie, and The Matrix. There is no baggage, no feeling that they've been wrung through a focus group wringer.

From that list, looking forward to mostly just Crank 2 and FnF. Somewhat tempted by Observe and Report, but I might be getting Seth Rogan overload. Curious about adventureland

Speevy said:
When Crank: High Voltage is on the list of movies you SHOULD see, we're having a great month...
Seriously... it's more like 3 films to see and 12 to avoid.

The Soloist looks like such fucking garbage. No words.

Cosmic Bus said:
Speaks volumes about, well, everything you post.

What? It is kind of hard to judge Fast & Furious. It could just be flat out terrible or it could go to the extreme and be awesomely bad.

YYZ

this thread is for people who enjoy movies for what they are, not elitist film snobs, kthx.

Wow, lots of good movies this month.. I'm checking out:

Observe & Report
The Soloist
State of Play
Crank 2
Fast & Furious

I'm most hyped for O&E and Crank 2 though.

How could you resist a movie whose tagline reads "He was dead. But he got better"?

And also, holy shit Film Snob GAF! Some of us enjoy genre flicks like Crank 2 and Fast & Furious.

Hari Seldon

I will not see any of those except maybe Fast and Furious on netflix. None of the others I will even bother renting. A horrible month lol.

Spotless Mind said:
I saw the 60 Minutes story on the guy this movie is based on and it made me want to see it.

Plus it's got RDJ in it and it's directed by Joe Wright who hasn't done a bad flick yet.

Spotless Mind said:
Seriously... it's more like 3 films to see and 12 to avoid.

It looks like you may be right. It just premiered at ShoWest in Las Vegas and recieved HORRIBLE reviews. I love Joe Wright, so I'll still check it out though.

Some twitter talk about the premiere:

http://twitter.com/firstshowing/status/1429190526

http://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1429173069

http://twitter.com/elguapo1/status/1429178810

then again, those are critics. From the average viewer tweets they seemed to enjoy it greatly.

Hari Seldon said:
I will not see any of those except maybe Fast and Furious on netflix. None of the others I will even bother renting. A horrible month lol.

The only movie on this list you are interested in is Fast and Furious? :lol

I'm a little worried about Crank 2. The first one had an over the top premise but the action was pretty down to earth (which I liked) - I believe it didn't have any explosions (seems unheard of these days). I hope they don't try to get too elaborate with shitty set pieces and instead focus on Jason kicking ass

Also, how is Crank 2 a must see when Hannah Montana is the top avoid? Isn't HM just the Crank 2 for the HM fans? I doubt many gaffers were planning to see it anyway. Seems pointless to "avoid" something you weren't going to have contact with anyway

I live next to a movie theater that plays one movie at a time - right now its Sunshine Cleaning and next is State of Play - which to see gaf?

border

All those trailers and the only one I clicked on was for Hannah Montana. It actually looked kinda fun and lighthearted until they get to the part where she starts romancing some country bumpkin. I guess I'm still interested, since later in the trailer it seemed to imply that Hannah/Miley might be a transsexual or hermaphrodite.

I've already seen the trailers for Observe & Report and I'm a little skeptical. Anna Faris is playing a cartoon character, and it seems like that might botch the whole thing up.

polyh3dron said:
I saw the 60 Minutes story on the guy this movie is based on and it made me want to see it.

Plus it's got RDJ in it and it's directed by Joe Wright who hasn't done a bad flick yet.
Yeah, Joe Wright's last 2 directorial efforts were quite impressive and i love RDJ (can't stand Jamie Foxx), but this subject matter doesn't interest me and the execution looks blatantly manipulative and cheesy. I realise i'm basing this off a trailer, but whatever.

JdFoX187

Banned
I might go see State of Play just to laugh and see how many reporter stereotypes they can cram into a two-hour movie. Just from the trailers alone, it looks like generic crap.

ZeoVGM

Banned
All this talk about Anna Farris getting implants and I can't see the picture because I'm at work?

Well fuck me.

(In before all fake breasts are bad blah blah.)

Oh, and Crank 2 looks cool.

I also really want to see Fighting (even if its PG-13) but I'll wait for the DVD

Just watched Lionheart with JCVD last week - nothing like a good underground fighting movie.

HamPster PamPster said:
I live next to a movie theater that plays one movie at a time - right now its Sunshine Cleaning and next is State of Play - which to see gaf?
Can't wait for Sunshine Cleaning. Fantastic cast. I say see this and report back. I wanna hear some impressions! Who wouldn't want to see a movie where Chloe O'Brian is the object of affection for Emily Blunt? :p

My school was hosting an advanced screening of Observe & Report last night. I showed up, saw how long the line was, and walked home. I didn't really feel like waiting that long to see Seth Rogen play Seth Rogen again.

Sugar and Gigantic look like the only decent films coming out this month.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
fistfulofmetal said:
anna farris looked terrible. like a big plastic surgery explosion went off in her :\

For once I fucking agree with you. She went from average-looking brunette to plastic fake blonde and now she's the "hot chick" ugh.

Spotless Mind said:
Can't wait for Sunshine Cleaning. Fantastic cast. I say see this and report back. I wanna hear some impressions! Who wouldn't want to see a movie where Chloe O'Brian is the object of affection for Emily Blunt? :p
I was going to check it out recently (I think it's playing here now), but the reviews are mediocre. Probably something I'll see on dvd sooner or later.

Nakazato

Yea my buddy worked on Hanna montana and said it was shit lol but he had fun on it lucky bastard

edit: ill go see it to support my friend

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Plot: As he is released from prison, Brian O'Conner teams up with Dominic Toretto work with the feds to bring down a heroin importer by infiltrating his operation

Does anyone know why Brian was prison or is that a spoiler?

And I'm kind of interested in Fighting. Hope that turns out well.

EDIT - I was just looking at Wiki and apparently Tyrese is in F&F. Hype +infinity!

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Great OP. I'll watch any thing with zooey she is quite possible the perfect woman. I watched all of the happenning sober and enjoyed it.

The mall cop rip off looks good too, I love rogen. Faris damn fine too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom