• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
full Latino Review up for Middle Men

There are a few things you could put in your movie to make me interested in it and recommend it to everyone I know. I will run down this list for your convenience.

1. Sex - If there is sex in your movie, or sex is even implied, then I will probably dig your movie. If the sex involves a smoking hot chick, then I'll be really interested. If the sex is between two ugly butch lesbians then I'm seal clapping for twenty minutes.

2. Mafia - I don't care which mafia you use, the Russians, the Italians, the British, the Mexican or the Japanese. Chances are I'm going to like it because I know there will be at least one scene where someone has a gun pointed at them for absolutely no reason.

3. Boobs - I really don't have to explain this one, do I?

4. Murder - Oh, c'mon. Don't act all innocent. We all love watching bodies get dumped in the ocean.

5. Las Vegas - I don't care if your Vegas scenes were shot behind an Albertson's grocery store in Compton, as long as you're giving me the illusion that the scenes are taking place in Vegas. If that's happening, then my small monkey brain and my large imagination will take care of the rest.

Guess which movie has all of these things?

Middle Men is one of the best movies of the year. A gripping story about crime, money, power, sex and greed, it's got everything one could want in a film.

Wow, wasn't expecting such high praise.

BattleMonkey said:
Last Exorcism looks like it could be entertaining, though it should have been a more Halloween time frame release.

It would be too busy with Saw 3D and Paranormal Activity 2 taking up all the business.

AICN's @Massawyrm:

FLIPPED was adorable. It's *exactly* what Rob Reiner does best. Surprised he hasn't made a comingofage romcom in the early 60's before this.

I really can't believe its coming out this weekend, there has been absolutely zero promotion.

Kandinsky

Blader5489 said:
And, Cera >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Eisenberg

Cera has some good shit to his name (Arrested Development hello!), and can actually be a funny kid. Eisenberg is just horrible at everything and I feel an overwhelming urge to punch him in the face every time I see him.
So true, i just cant stand that kid, i hate him, he ruins movies for me, ruined Zombie and Adventureland, and holy fuck i hated him so much on The Squid and the Whale, fuck him.

some more excellent response on Flipped:

@firstshowing

Rob Reiner's Flipped was so good, such a wonderful, classic love story. Felt like a film I should have seen at a festival, too.

@slashfilm
I know it probably isn't on you radars but Rob Reiner's Flipped is a fantastic coming of age film. I hope people see it.

wizword

Banned
I am surprised by the talk about scott pilgrim vs the world. The fact that this movie takes artistic nods from speed racer and looks to be a disaster in terms of mainstream appeal and will also after pre-screening will get abysmal reviews because of its quirky and odd design choices. Why did the director create these scenes where the characters didn't move their faces? I don't understand why unique and fresh can't also be silly and extraneous at the same time. The game looks fantastic though but the movie is going to bomb hard.

Takao

Banned
Just Scott Pilgrim, and Tales from Earthsea for me. Yeah, I know Earthsea is apparently trash, but I'll watch it for the nice animation that a Ghilbi production is sure to provide (assuming it's in a local venue).

Go see Eat Love Pray, don't see The Expendables? Thank you for telling me everything I need to know about your taste, Mr. Plainview

wizword said:
I am surprised by the talk about scott pilgrim vs the world. The fact that this movie takes artistic nods from speed racer and looks to be a disaster in terms of mainstream appeal and will also after pre-screening will get abysmal reviews because of its quirky and odd design choices. Why did the director create these scenes where the characters didn't move their faces? I don't understand why unique and fresh can't also be silly and extraneous at the same time. The game looks fantastic though but the movie is going to bomb hard.

Seriously, what?

PhoenixDark said:
Go see Eat Love Pray, don't see The Expendables? Thank you for telling me everything I need to know about your taste, Mr. Plainview

Did you actually read his review, though? The movie has a decent director and a damn fine supporting cast; there's no reason why it shouldn't be, at the very least, average.

wizword said:

Huh? All the screenings reviews have been over-the-top fantastic.

Faxanadu said:
Expendables is tracking very well. That means the people who are seeing is are liking it. Have faith!

Actually that's not true. Tracking is for general audiences who respond to the trailer, surveys, etc. The 3 actual reviews released so far have all been negative.

PhoenixDark said:

Come back and tell me that on August 13th and I will accept if that's the case, but for now I will 100% stand by my choice.

DanielPlainview said:
Huh? All the screenings reviews have been over-the-top fantastic.

Actually that's not true. Tracking is for general audiences who respond to the trailer, surveys, etc. The 3 actual reviews released so far have all been negative.

Come back and tell me that on August 13th and I will accept if that's the case, but for now I will 100% stand by my choice.

I think he means that after all of the glowing pre-screening reviews are done, the reviews from major critics are probably going to be mostly negative (and I can't say that I think he's wrong on that one).

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
I think he means that after all of the glowing pre-screening reviews are done, the reviews from major critics are probably going to be mostly negative (and I can't say that I think he's wrong on that one).

Ah, yes. That is very true. :lol

Don't think it's even possible for a movie like Expendables to get good reviews. Even many of peoples favorite 80/90's action films were panned and in truth, not good movies. But damn if we don't love some stupid action flicks.

Munin

Takao said:
Just Scott Pilgrim, and Tales from Earthsea for me. Yeah, I know Earthsea is apparently trash, but I'll watch it for the nice animation that a Ghilbi production is sure to provide (assuming it's in a local venue).

It's not trash, it's not great either, it's just good. Film gets far too much hate. It's still a nice experience, just that it wasn't the best idea to have a first-time director (one who had zero experience in the film/animation biz, even) handle such heavy and serious material for his debut.

DanielPlainview said:
:lol anyone actually seeing it this weekend?

My g/f is a dancer so I will be seeing this weekend with her :-(

(yes, she makes me watch dancing with the stars too)

but i don't mind because she is coming to see Piranha and Expendables with me :D

dork

Banned
definitely seeing expendables, the others guys and maybe piranha

wont be seeing scott pilgrim because it looks terrible

After seeing inception i dont expect much from any movie any more. It was just to good.

Alphahawk

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Did you actually read his review, though? The movie has a decent director and a damn fine supporting cast; there's no reason why it shouldn't be, at the very least, average.

Personally, I don't care who's in the movie or who stars in it, the entire concept just looks horrid to me...

Afrodium

Banned
DanielPlainview said:
Here is the leaked orgy scene[/URL] from Middle Men that was cut (EXTREMELY NSFW).

Why was that cut, exactly? Did they exceed the titty limit? Though it's an orgy scene, it really just contained a lot of exposed breasts. It's kind of a shame that it was cut, not because of all the naked women, but because it's actually a great tracking shot and it probably took a ton of work to pull off.

Afrodium said:
Why was that cut, exactly? Did they exceed the titty limit? Though it's an orgy scene, it really just contained a lot of exposed breasts. It's kind of a shame that it was cut, not because of all the naked women, but because it's actually a great tracking shot and it probably took a ton of work to pull off.

Yeah :( MPAA said it would be NC-17 with it, which is kind of ridiculous. I've seen worse stuff in R-rated films.

- free tickets to Rob Reiner's Flipped

August 17, 2010
Omaha, NE - 7:30 pm
Independence, MO - 7:30 pm

August 16, 2010
West Homestead, PA - 7:30 pm
Nashville, TN - 7:00 pm
Richmond Heights, OH - 7:30 pm
Manayunk, PA - 7:00 pm
Charlotte, NC - 7:00 pm
Atlanta, GA - 6:00 pm

August 14, 2010
Sandy, UT - 10:00 am
Lakewood, CO - 10:00 am
Norfolk, VA - 11:00 am
Bethesda, MD - 11:00 am
Annapolis, MD - 10:30 am

August 12, 2010
Honolulu, HI - 7:00 pm
Clovis, CA - 7:00 pm
San Jose, CA - 7:00 pm
San Rafael, CA - 7:00 pm
San Diego, CA - 7:00 pm
Seattle, WA - 7:00 pm
Tigard, OR - 7:00 pm
Brookfield, WI -7:00 pm
Roseville, MN - 7:00 pm
Sterling Heights, MI - 7:30 pm
Boston, MA - 7:00 pm

DON'T SEE YOUR CITY?
We will be releasing more very soon! Stay tuned.

Eat Pray Love was actually good! Still not a big Roberts fan but the supporting cast was indeed amazing. Richard Jenkins is unbelievable. The movie runs a little too long, but it is definitely a decent date movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
Expendable. said:
Eat Pray Love was actually good! Still not a big Roberts fan but the supporting cast was indeed amazing. Richard Jenkins is unbelievable. The movie runs a little too long, but it is definitely a decent date movie.
Saw the running time. Almost as long as Inception :lol

Jeramii

Banned
i'm seeing scott pilgrim for one specific reason.
i'm madly in love with mary elizabeth winstead. <3 my girlfriend has come to terms with this and accepts her inevitable fate if i ever meet ms winstead. which will likely never happen. haha.

(in all fairness she offers the same threat if she meets marfred rodriquez lopez. she fell in love with him after i took her to see zechs marquise live.)

other than that... this summer doesn't interest me too much movie wise.

**edit, the expendables will likely bee seen by me... forgot about that**

Scott Pilgrim (only for Wright, 2 for 2 in excellent films so far) and Expendables for me.

Oh and Centurion too I guess. I like Marshall and Fassbender.

if anyone is brave enough to venture out to see Eat Pray Love his weeked, I just put up my 6 out of 10 review.
We see a lot of soul-searching, inner reflection, and spirituality in Eat Pray Love, but it is a rare moment when we actually experience it. I never read Elizabeth Gilbert‘s bestselling novel about her meditative excursion, but I can imagine the author acts like a cipher for wish-fulfillment as we reflect about our own personal life.

In Ryan Murphy‘s adaptation, co-written by Jennifer Salt, we are given Julia Roberts, a charming but ultimately flat character that it difficult to invest in. It’s almost a wonder with such a prolonged runtime and Roberts in every single scene, we never really connect to her beyond us enjoying what she is enjoying; the food, the sights, and the fantastic supporting cast of men. Thankfully, those three areas deliver consistently and I actually found myself in a guilty state of enjoyment throughout most of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom