• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decado

As one of the few historical action style films coming out I'm disappointed Centurion isn't a masterpiece...but it still sounds like it could be fun (not to mention is considerably more appeal that all your picks), so I'm game.

Otherwise, The Expendables if it is good (which it better be).

Piranha 3D
and Animal Kingdom are possibilities.

August doesn't look great, but your picks are even worse, methinks.

Solo

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
So I just watched Adventureland, and yeah, Jesse Eisenberg is quite a talented actor. Cera has better comedic timing, but Eisenberg has more emotional depth and range.

Adventureland is also pretty great. A movie that remains 100% watchable in spite of Eisenberg and Kristin Stewart in the lead roles gets my seal of approval.

Bootaaay said:
So, watch Piranha 3D, but don't watch Expendables because it looks laughably bad? Riiiiiight.

There's this nasty trend in film reviewing that basically amounts to 'oh p'shaw, it's a bad film, but it knows it is so we'll let it off. IRONYYYYYYYY'.

It sucks, and it needs to stop. Of course, fair enough, films that can laugh at themselves can be funny for it, but too often reviewers are too quick to say 'this film is so bad.... it's good!'. If a film is bad, and you KNOW it's bad, then it should be rated as such, otherwise you aren't being fair to the reader.

Green Scar said:
You know what? Fuck you guys. That Piranha 3D trailer was horrible :(

Yes it was. However you have to realize that they're intentionally going for a can only find this in an obscure video store in a hick town vibe. And believe me, those are the best.

DanielPlainview said:
did you watch the NSFW footage?

The one where the woman gets sliced in half Resident Evil lasers style? Yes. I'm probably gonna sound crazy, but it seemed a bit too real :lol All the stuff like the speedboat taking people out and people getting sliced up in motors and stuff... ew. I can handle gore, sorta, but that was a severed limb too far for me :lol

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Synopsis: A team of mercenaries head to South America on a mission to overthrow a dictator.

Why You Should Avoid It: Every single piece of marketing I've witnessed for The Expendables looks laughably bad. Unlike the upcoming Machete and Piranha 3D, this looks to be taking itself way too seriously and missing the charm of the earlier films these once-great action stars were known for.
As much as I like you DPV. I would have to disagree.

It's exactly like those old, once considered great, films. With the release of Expendables, and how it's being treated, it's safe to say that people just don't like those films as much as they say they do.

Veidt said:
As much as I like you DPV. I would have to disagree.

It's exactly like those old, once considered great, films. With the release of Expendables, and how it's being treated, it's safe to say that people just don't like those films as much as they say they do.
I've been beginning to think you could be right. I remember Commando, Predators, Rambo, Die Hard, etc. all being incredibly fun. It would be a shame if I were to revisit and found them to be as boring as how The Expendables looks.

But I've recently rewatched First Blood and Die Hard and they are just as good as I remember them being so I can't help but think the fault lies with The Expendables.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
I would have to agree with you on that. I've revisited Predator and Bloodsport, they are just as much fun as they were years ago. Perhaps it's the nostalgia factor kicking in? No idea.
I also haven't watched the expendables yet, so if the cheesiness has indeed been taken a notch down, it might indeed be a failure.

Also, great reasoning. But most people ( and I think you would agree), just throw the expendables aside for no real reason.

I also think it has to do with the old films being "one man army" and the whole film anchored on the life and death of that character. The Expendables just seems like *too* much. I hope it is atleast entertaining but it seems like it could become a dull mess with so many characters, just like the first review says. Its a shame because the idea looks great on paper, but now that we actually have the film it doesn't look like it lives up.

harSon

Banned
Green Scar said:
There's this nasty trend in film reviewing that basically amounts to 'oh p'shaw, it's a bad film, but it knows it is so we'll let it off. IRONYYYYYYYY'.

It sucks, and it needs to stop. Of course, fair enough, films that can laugh at themselves can be funny for it, but too often reviewers are too quick to say 'this film is so bad.... it's good!'. If a film is bad, and you KNOW it's bad, then it should be rated as such, otherwise you aren't being fair to the reader.

There's a difference between a bad film and one that does not take itself to seriously, the latter while obviously not the pinnacle of filmmaking, has the potential to be entertaining. And it's that entertainment factor that makes "awesomely bad films" or flawed experiences that don't take themselves too seriously, recommendable.

hteng

Banned
what the fuck at the pirahna movie, back a few months ago gaf was dissing it so bad based on the first trailer. shit makes me sick

harSon said:
There's a difference between a bad film and one that does not take itself to seriously, the latter while obviously not the pinnacle of filmmaking, has the potential to be entertaining. And it's that entertainment factor that makes "awesomely bad films" or flawed experiences that don't take themselves too seriously, recommendable.

Yup. The only bad movie is a boring one.

Count Dookkake said:

Yep, for me this is the only criteria that truly matters. I constantly scratch my head when I read reviews of films which say how entertaining the reviewer found a film but will refuse to call the film good because its plot was not original or intellectual enough or any other reason. If I find a film entertaining, for me, by definition it is good regardless of the direction, editing , plot etc. (although that is not disregarding that other elements could have improved the film).

Bring on Piranha 3D and The Expendables! :D

Count Dookkake said:

OK this I agree with.

My gripe came from the fact that some people review bad films as being 'OMG SO GOOD-BAD' when this never happens with other mediums. But I thought about it some more, and I figured that really bad stuff like Street Fighter: The Movie (both of them) do get trashed critically, and all respect for bad films like that come from weird niche fanbases. I was getting mixed up between reviewers and people blogging about bad films and SyFy specials and shit.

Well I think Scott Piligram looks like crap and not something I'll enjoy, but I'll probably see it.

The Expendables' trailers have all looked god awful and way too serious ,but I know I want to see it for myself.

The Other Guys looks like a harmless comedy.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
All the movies I'm interested in watching listed under "Avoid" :lol The Expendables is either gonna be good or so bad that it's good

Tucah

you speak so well
Scott Pilgrim, Expendables (I can't pass up an action movie with that cast) and Piranha (looks like a TON of fun) for me this month.

It's been a relatively light summer for movies for me - I think the only things I saw in July were Inception and The Kids are All Right.

Azzurri

Am I the only one who thinks Scott Pilgrim movie looks stupid, I'm sure the comic is good, but the movie looks dumb.

Rahxephon91 said:
The Expendables' trailers have all looked god awful and way too serious ,but I know I want to see it for myself.

Um, what?

The ads for Eat, Pray, Love are nauseating: "White woman divorces and discovers herself in the Italian/and-wherever-else-in-the-world countryside." That's just me being ignorant though and bitter because I can't stand Julia Roberts. I already saw Under the Tuscan Sun, thanks.

Edit:

Michael Cera makes Scott Pilgrim a hard sell. Edgar Wright, though...

Dabanton

Azzurri said:
Am I the only one who thinks Scott Pilgrim movie looks stupid, I'm sure the comic is good, but the movie looks dumb.

I'm hot and cold on it saw another trailer for it yesterday at a screening of the A Team and the trailer ended on one of the most err wtf is this bits ever

Brandon Routh Telling Michael Cera how his going to turn him into dust everything seemed so incredibly forced and trying so hard to be witty.

The marketing for expendables has been god awful, hoping it provides ass kickery though. Remember that Rambo 4 also suffered from real shitting advertising that tried to be "hip" and looked awful as well, but that kicked all kinds of ass.

harSon said:
That's the problem though, people seem to be under the impression that official movie threads are appreciation threads, when in reality they're simply a place to discuss a film, both positive and negative. Unfortunately that's not the case, if you type anything but undying praise for a film that's incredibly hyped, you're instantly labeled a troll or a hater.

It's not negative opinion, but the sheer level of hyperbole which sets people off. "this doesn't do this for me", "looks like crap", whatever, but some claims people like to make are just fishing or silly based on a trailer.

Azzurri said:

I'm with you, but I also have never read the books so I got no investment in the franchise. My wife saw one of the recent tv ads and went "what the hell?". I don't see how they could market that movie successfully though to the non fan crowd. Could be good but I'm not motivated to see it so far

Gooster said:
Um, what?

Have you not scene a trailer for the movie? Even the op agrees. The first trailer was driving at home about how washed up the characters are and how much this is their last chance at glory. I don't want speeches about how Jason Stathem thinks its hard to be Rambo's friend or how much it means to save this tough revolution seeking clumbian girl. I want babies getting burned, stupid one liners, and extreme knife action.

big ander

Will definitely see Scott Pilgrim and The Other Guys.
Would like to see Middle Men and Piranha 3D.
Hadn't heard of HappyThankYouMorePlease until now, but I'd really love to see it. Of course, said the same thing with Cyrus last month and the closest it got to me was 2 hours away.
EDIT: Oh, and The Kids Are All Right.
EDIT2: Wait Guy Pearce is in this Animal Kingdom? Will see if I can find it.

Speevy

Banned
A film can be kind of boring and still great. Good cinematography, acting, etc.

But one that is badly done while attempting to be exciting is bad no matter how you look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom