• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In August (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I personally don't see how you can hate Cera but like Jesse Eisenberg, they're pretty much the same in my eyes. Although I the latter does seem to be in a lot more good movies than Cera, but it sure as hell isn't because of him. I don't think either have ever been the best aspect of a film/television they've acted in.

Solo

JdFoX187 said:
Despite the constant trolling, The Expendables does look awesome

I'd honestly love to know how anyone believes this. It looks like the movie equivalent of one of those old-timers sporting events, where they assemble a bunch of once-great talent, long past their primes, to play and embarass themselves.

JdFoX187

Banned
Solo said:
I'd honestly love to know how anyone believes this. It looks like the movie equivalent of one of those old-timers sporting events, where they assemble a bunch of once-great talent, long past their primes, to play and embarass themselves.
That's exactly the point :lol

harSon said:
I personally don't see how you can hate Cera but like Jesse Eisenberg, they're pretty much the same in my eyes. Although I the latter does seem to be in a lot more good movies than Cera, but it sure as hell isn't because of him. I don't think either have ever been the best aspect of a film/television they've acted in.

Maybe, but Cera was the least funny actor in Super Bad.

Solo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Maybe, but Cera was the least funny actor in Super Bad.

And in a movie as unfunny as Superbad, and also starring someone as detestable as Jonah Hill, thats saying a lot.

I'm glad I'm getting some vindication in this thread. I thought all of GAF was insane after spending some time in The Expendables thread. First 3 reviews of the film are out also:

The Expendables is a "bloated mess", "awkward", "incoherent", "overstuffed", "dull and desperate": http://bit.ly/daVWBW

also got a 2/5 from TotalFilm and 3/5 from Empire, but reviews aren't online yet.

DMczaf

DanielPlainview said:
I'm glad I'm getting some vindication in this thread. I thought all of GAF was insane after spending some time in The Expendables thread.

You mean people in the The Expendables thread are anticipating The Expendables?

Next you'll tell me that people in the Inception thread were anticipating Inception!

Solo

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Fuck off. Superbad was hilariously awesome. :lol

I might have enjoyed it 10 years ago. Seems like the "American Pie" for the next generation. To me though, it was just crude and humorless outside of McLovin.

I have never read any of the Scott pilgrim comics but I saw the trailer for the movie and it looked interesting. You guys recommend it to a person like me?

salva said:
I have never read any of the Scott pilgrim comics but I saw the trailer for the movie and it looked interesting. You guys recommend it to a person like me?

If you are a person, yes. It's great.

harSon

Banned
DMczaf said:
You mean people in the The Expendables thread are anticipating The Expendables?

Next you'll tell me that people in the Inception thread were anticipating Inception!

That's the problem though, people seem to be under the impression that official movie threads are appreciation threads, when in reality they're simply a place to discuss a film, both positive and negative. Unfortunately that's not the case, if you type anything but undying praise for a film that's incredibly hyped, you're instantly labeled a troll or a hater.

Calcaneus

Scott Pilgrim has equal potential to be awesome and totally annoy me. I'm gonna wait on it.

Expendables is day one, though. I know its gonna be really cheesy, its not gonna have the best action, and there's gonna be a lot of back-patting between the actors, but I'm still excited for it. A lot of that was the point for most people.

DanielPlainview said:
I'm glad I'm getting some vindication in this thread. I thought all of GAF was insane after spending some time in The Expendables thread. First 3 reviews of the film are out also:

The Expendables is a "bloated mess", "awkward", "incoherent", "overstuffed", "dull and desperate": http://bit.ly/daVWBW

also got a 2/5 from TotalFilm and 3/5 from Empire, but reviews aren't online yet.

not surprised.. i always figured that movie would only be good on paper.

DMczaf

harSon said:
That's the problem though, people seem to be under the impression that official movie threads are appreciation threads, when in reality they're simply a place to discuss a film, both positive and negative. Unfortunately that's not the case, if you type anything but undying praise for a film that's incredibly hyped, you're instantly labeled a troll or a hater.

No, you're labeled as a troll if you decide that people want to hear your same complaints over and over again for 2+ weeks (sup BobsRevenge)

I think Scott Pilgrim looks great for what it's trying to accomplish.

I don't think The Expendables looks great for what it's trying to accomplish, and it's trying to accomplish much less than Pilgrim. If you're going to throw together an ensemble, no, the ensemble of Hollywood badasses for an action flick, it better deliver.

You could tell right away The Expendables was going to be bad right when they played that stupid rock song in the trailer. :lol

I actually don't know why I added the movie onto my list. There really has to be nothing playing for me to watch it.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
You could tell right away The Expendables was going to be bad right when they played that stupid rock song in the trailer. :lol

I actually don't know why I added the movie onto my list. There really has to be nothing playing for me to watch it.

my friends and I will randomly shut out:

everyone of is is EXPENDABBBBBLEEEEEEEEEEEE!

:lol

HOLY SHIT @ the Piranha 3D footage!!!
:lol :lol

wasn't on my radar at all, but i'm definitely seeing that after watching that footage....

Count Dookkake said:
Eat Pray Love makes the list but not Expendables?

GTFO.

I knew that would piss off GAF, but it's truly how I feel. The truth will come out August 13th, I look forward to it. :D

mello

OP I'm disappointed in you. Centurion under avoid? You're usually spot on with these threads but you let me down with this one! I haven't seen it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. Marshall + Fassbender + Kurylenko is a must watch.

Calcaneus

DanielPlainview said:
I knew that would piss off GAF, but it's truly how I feel. The truth will come out August 13th, I look forward to it. :D
Come on, that looks like terrible Julia Roberts fluff. I don't care if you don't like The Expendable, but at least give me that.

Julia Roberts going on a "round-the-world journey of self-enlightenment and fulfillment" sounds like the worst thing ever.

mello said:
OP I'm disappointed in you. Centurion under avoid? You're usually spot on with these threads but you let me down with this one! I haven't seen it yet, but I'm very much looking forward to seeing it. Marshall + Fassbender + Kurylenko is a must watch.

It's actually under matinee. I can't wait to check it out, but Marshall has always let me down (even hated The Descent).

Calcaneus said:
Come on, that looks like terrible Julia Roberts fluff. I don't care if you don't like The Expendable, but at least give me that.

Julia Roberts going on a "round-the-world journey of self-enlightenment and fulfillment" sounds like the worst thing ever.

Solid writer/director and fantastic supporting cast. I have a feeling it won't be as bad as it seems.

Few things:

-Could be a decent-ish month, if some of those indie movies turn out to be good.

-Michael Cera is awesome and has some of the best comedic timing that I've ever seen; he's also perfect for the role of Scott Pilgrim, and I've thought so since the moment that I picked up the first volume. In addition, Youth in Revolt proved that he has range and can actually act. Cera haters gonna hate.

-Step Brothers is one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen, so The Other Guys gets an insta-watch from me, even though I have to imagine that that movie was lightning in a bottle in terms of hilarity.

-I'll watch that Guy Pearce movie because it's GUY FUCKIN' PEARCE.

ampere

Solo said:
Micheal Cera is my hate personified. Hes like the biggest douchebag, most emo son of a bitch, and all around horrible plague on the movie world, all wrapped into one creepy package. And Wright is hit or miss for me.
Scott Pilgrim the character is a douchebag so that shouldn't be a problem.
I think Wright will nail this film, he's never been miss for me.

Solo said:
Well, Cera is basically a less talented doppelganger of Jesse Eisenberg, so...:lol
Name a film where Eisenberg shows his 'talent'?

shintoki said:
Both Expendables and Pilgrim look like shit. Humorous, how the two hyped films have had nothing but terrible trailer after trailer, and the people excited for them...were already excited prior. :lol
But, Edgar Wright :O

Dead

well not really...yet
ciaossu said:
Scott Pilgrim the character is a douchebag so that shouldn't be a problem.
I think Wright will nail this film, he's never been miss for me.

But, Edgar Wright :O
Eisenberg in Adventureland and Zombieland >>>>>>> Cera in any movie hes in

mello

ciaossu said:

Adventureland.

He was fairly average in Zomebieland, but still better than any role Cera has ever played.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
-Step Brothers is one of the funniest movies that I have ever seen, so The Other Guys gets an insta-watch from me, even though I have to imagine that that movie was lightning in a bottle in terms of hilarity.

maybe comedy isnt your thing

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Youre telling me to avoid Expendables?? Yeah ok how about NO. Thats No in Spanish!

brianjones said:
maybe comedy isnt your thing

Dude, you have no soul if you don't laugh at Step Brothers. NO SOUL. Watch John C. Reilly in that movie and tell me that he's not hysterical from start to finish.

Edit: It's not a great movie that happens to BE a comedy in the vein of Groundhog Day or a Woody Allen movie, granted, but it's just so engrossing and almost hypnotic in the way that it weaves vulgarity and irreverence that I can't help but love it.

I need Benjamin Birdie in here to back me up on this one!

ampere

Dead said:
I liked Arrested Development much more than those movies, obviously I can't attribute that all to Cera but I still can't really say I enjoyed Eisenberg's roles.

I guess if you can't stand Cera, you probably won't enjoy Scott Pilgrim.

DMczaf said:
:lol :lol :lol oh wow, how did I miss that

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Dude, you have no soul if you don't laugh at Step Brothers. NO SOUL. Watch John C. Reilly in that movie and tell me that he's not hysterical from start to finish.
Ehhh most of the movie is just awkward. Might be better drunk I guess

giga said:
Don't you hate Double Indemnity?

:lol I love that this is the new thing when Blader hates on something.

(Note: I have not seen Adventureland, so I cannot comment on the specific thing that he's hating on right now. I want to watch it soon, though; I actually think it looks pretty good, and I know AU liked it.)

Edit: Eisenberg gave quite a good performance in The Squid and The Whale and looks to have done well in The Social Network, based on the trailer, so I'd say that he's proven himself to be a pretty good actor; I honestly am not sure what Blader's hang-up with him is, even having read his opinion of him many, many times.

Acid08

Banned
harSon said:
I've liked all of his movies thus far but I honestly didn't get his television show Spaced, a lot of it probably has to do with the fact that I'm not a huge fan of British humor in the first place. I have to say though, episode 3 of season 1 was easily the worst episode of television ever to be filmed and broadcasted.
You're wrong and you should feel bad.

sazabirules said:
Is Animal Kingdom getting a full release?

Limited :(

animal_kingdom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom