• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years of Virtua Fighter 5 (SEGAbits Retrospective)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
tumblr_nnl1lfJk9c1slig2vo1_500.gif

10 years ago last Tuesday Virtua Fighter 5 debuted in Japanese arcades. I wrote an article for SEGAbits, looking back on the history of the game and its community.
From the article:
On July 12th 2006, Virtua Fighter 5 was released in Japanese arcades – that’s ten long years ago this past Tuesday. To put that time-frame in perspective, Soul Calibur III had been in arcades for three months. “X-Men: The Last Stand” was in theaters, “The Sopranos” was still on the air, and there was no such thing as an iPhone. SonicFox, fighting game tournament champion, was in the third grade. Put simply, Virtua Fighter 5 was released a long, long time ago.
“In the 10 years and 3 versions before [VF5 ver C],” remembers community member BLACKSTAR, “I never met another player that I could play VF with offline.” That changed with one of VF5’s most significant additions: online play. “It was a big deal in days where arcades were already considered long-dead, not to mention that it was widely considered to be the best [netcode] by far, until Blazblue Calamity Trigger was released.” With the ability to play VF5 online, the world got smaller, and new faces started emerging within the community. “I didn’t have to be stuck playing the computer like I was forced to make do with for the past decade,” BLACKSTAR continues, “I was able to form many bonds and friendships that would last for years, many lasting even into this day. It was a feeling like none other to finally meet many of those same people face-to- face for the first time at NYG and SEGA Cup.”

More at the link.

tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo3_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo2_400.gif

There's so much to discuss about VF5 that I'm not sure where to begin, personally I wasn't exposed to the game until the release of Final Showdown in 2012 and (obviously) I really took to it. That makes me late to the party, but I've spent the last four years playing the game almost exclusively, competing in tournaments from California to New York to Toronto.

On the one hand, it really is a shame that we haven't anything more than a rumor that this game will get a sequel. On the other, I think it holds up very well considering its age -- to some degree, all it needs is to be available on more platforms!

Did you play VF5 back in 2006? Any memories you'd care to share?

tumblr_nirc9ytAqq1slig2vo1_500.gif

Atolm

Still my favorite fighting game and favorite fighting franchise. What others find dull and unappealing, the rather barebones presentation, it's the main asset of the franchise for me: a simple visual design, a focus on fighting and skill. No flashy effects, no exotic costumes or characters, just martial arts representations.

I've been waiting for 6 for so long. At this point I think the franchise is dead and I don't understand why, while Tekken overtook it in popularity in Japan it's still revered there. I've played 5FS for a long time but my PS3 is on its way out. Is too much to ask for a rather simple port for PS4 or PC?

oneida

Still my favorite fighting game and favorite fighting franchise. What others find dull and unappealing, the rather barebones presentation, it's the main asset of the franchise for me: a simple visual design, a focus on fighting and skill. No flashy effects, no exotic costumes or characters, just martial arts representations.

I've been waiting for 6 for so long. At this point I think the franchise is dead and I don't understand why, while Tekken overtook it in popularity in Japan it's still revered there. I've played 5FS for a long time but my PS3 is on its way out. Is too much to ask for a rather simple port for PS4 or PC?

it helps that despite the combat just being punching and kicking, it's extremely well animated and the moves are nevertheless distinct and powerful-looking.

tumblr_nr93dcbZ2k1slig2vo1_400.gif

Loona

Is this supposed to e the one with the really really good tutorial that even prepares you to take on human opponents, or was that a version of VF4?

Is there a version for PS4?

oneida

Is this supposed to e the one with the really really good tutorial that even prepares you to take on human opponents, or was that a version of VF4?

Is there a version for PS4?

VF4EVO has the expansive tutorial. Very good, dry for sure, but extremely informative. The tutorial in VF5FS is okay. I don't remember the tutorial in VF5 vanilla...

You can play VF5FS on PS4 via PSNow. I do not recommend it :/
otherwise, this is lost to last gen at the moment.

Tizoc

Holy fuck 10 freakin' years?!?!?
Shame current sega japan is uninterested in reclaiming on honoring their former glory
On mobile so cant see gifs but onieda
Post them
Post the kagemaru-ryuu hisssteu waza: jigoku guruma
Post it once more for old time's sake

oneida

This is awesome:
tumblr_nbrmhhoWm21slig2vo1_400.gif

Holy fuck 10 freakin' years?!?!?
Shame current sega japan is uninterested in reclaiming on honoring their former glory
On mobile so cant see gifs but onieda
Post them
Post the kagemaru-ryuu hisssteu waza: jigoku guruma
Post it once more for old time's sake

but I- I never made a VF5 kage roll gif! D: D: D:

tumblr_nbtr2j860a1slig2vo2_400.gif

Jimm

It was the second PS3 game I ever bought and I had so much fun with friends.
Sadly I sold it as I was a poor student to fund another purchase. If I was to buy it back what's the main difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? I hear the 360 one has more/better online features? But I don't care about that.

oneida

It was the second PS3 game I ever bought and I had so much fun with friends.
Sadly I sold it as I was a poor student to fund another putchase. If I was to buy it bsck what's the main difference between the PS3 and 360 versions? I hear the 360 one has more/better online features? But I don't care about that.

360 has online and balance changes, it is based on Ver C of the arcade game while the PS3 version is based on Ver B.

however
The only reason to buy either is the SP content, in which case it does not matter. Reason being the remaining online community has migrated to the most recent version of the game, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, which is PSN/XBLA only (no retail release)

that version adds two characters and completely reworks the combat mechanics and almost every move has new animation. I think it's the best VF game to date.

However, if you just want to play by yourself, VF5 vanilla is the better choice since there's more to do. In that case, get the PS3 version. Should be like $1 from GameStop these days.

Jimm

360 has online and balance changes, it is based on Ver C of the arcade game while the PS3 version is based on Ver B.

however
The only reason to buy either is the SP content, in which case it does not matter. Reason being the remaining online community has migrated to the most recent version of the game, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown, which is PSN/XBLA only (no retail release)

that version adds two characters and completely reworks the combat mechanics and almost every move has new animation. I think it's the best VF game to date.

However, if you just want to play by yourself, VF5 vanilla is the better choice since there's more to do. In that case, get the PS3 version. Should be like $1 from GameStop these days.

Thanks so much.for the help and info. I'll likely just get vanilla, but had no idea there was a Final Showdown version. Thanks!

I just Bought VF5 a few days ago. Graphically, it still looks pretty good. But I think the Virtua Fighter series has been the most difficult fighting game to master. It's either that or I'm just terrible at it. I would love to see this franchise come back on PS4/XBO/PC

Newboi

The Virtua Fighter franchise only uses the buttons, but still remains the deepest, most rewarding, and most evolved fighting franchise on the planet (if we're purely talking about gameplay mechanics anyway).

I would absolutely love to see a new VF. Sega keeps paying for terrible sonic games. They need to make a new VF...and Jet Set Radio!

snaffles

VF5 had more costumes than just about any game I have played, I spent hours messing around with different costumes for all my characters. I agree on the rest though, I love how every character feels like they have a distinct style to their fighting.

oneida

It still looks stunning. Some kind of wizards, these Sega developers...

Yeah. They really hit the ground running with lastgen, Sonic 06 notwithstanding. Look at After Burner Climax, same thing. Looks great a decade later.

oneida

Please bring back the real vanessa from vf4 for vf6

I agree. It seems like poor compensation that you can make her in customization, dark skin and abs and all, but it really should be her default look.

oneida

So did the push for a PC version of this ever gain any ground?

Who can say? SEGA of Europe is the only branch that makes any noise these days, and the current MO for PC releases is to announce them 1 week before they launch, at a rate of 1 game per year. It's ridiculous.

Nuszka

VF5 first i got with my PS3 then i got the 360 ver when it released a while later. I got FS on both consoles, still play it to this day from time to time on my ps3. Shame there is no info about a sequel.

Roarer

I enjoy the odd fighting game every once in a while on a very casual level. Virtua Fighter has always been my favorite series for its deceptive simplicity and hidden complexity. I've always felt that out of all fighting games, Virtua Fighter does the best job of capturing the feeling of reading and responding to an opponent.

I played bot VF1 and VF2 on the arcade at the local bowling alley back in the day. Loved them to bits. Got Virtua Fighter 4 for the PS2 and had a blast. The tutorial was super impressive and made me appreciate the depth of the game so much more.

Sadly never got around to playing Virtua Fighter 5. Kind of fell off fighting games for the past 10 years or so. Wish they'd release it on Steam, that would certainly make me go back.

Best fighting game of all time for me...

I only stopped playing because I didn't have a large enough group to play with and online got dull.

I mained Lion and got halfway decent with Jean.

oneida

Best fighting game of all time for me...

I only stopped playing because I didn't have a large enough group to play with and online got dull.

I mained Lion and got halfway decent with Jean.

I've been playing a lot of Jean lately, he is just so much fun and his moves look great.

Been playing VF regularly since VF4 vanilla. Played 5 on the PS3 for a bit when I couldn't afford the system.

When version C was announced for 360 I ended up getting a system just to play it (along with a Hori EX!). FS was just a long time coming since we never got Red (just like there was never a port of Final Tuned) and it made more financial sense for them to release it on PSN/XBL.

I'm eagerly waiting for Xbone BC to come up for it or for Sega to maybe (MAYBE) port it to the modern systems. With less compressed sound effects and voices.

And a better tutorial ripped out of Evolution.

And Pie. Lots and lots of Pie.

Jk. Aoi all day every day

oneida

Can't believe it's this long. Found a video of me playing 8 years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsNmCji7IHo). I was 25 then. Where does the time go! Ouch.

Don't have much hope for VF6 but good lord I love Virtua Fighter. So pure, so fast, so clean, so much fun.

This is really good! back dash whiff punish at 1:53, nice string delays too...

I like the way the stages look in VF5, the lighting got worse in Final Showdown, for space reasons maybe?

Tailzo

Yeah. They really hit the ground running with lastgen, Sonic 06 notwithstanding. Look at After Burner Climax, same thing. Looks great a decade later.

You're right. That, Virtua Tennis, House of the Dead 3 and Outrun are still lookers.

oneida

4 Virtua Fighters in the first 13 years.

1 Virtua Fighter in the last 10 years.

Says a lot about the state of SEGA, hate to admit it. These have always been expensive games, and back in the 90's SEGA could afford them. We know that VF5 has made them a ton of cash over the last 10 years, so hopefully that'll justify a new game, but the days of getting three numbered entries in as many years are long gone.

Aki-at

One of my favourite games last generation and the best fighting game of all time.

We really were spoilt last generation when I look back at it.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
You'd think VF5 would make its way to PC. Sega releasing Blade Arcus but not this? Come on, guys.

Did you play VF5 back in 2006? Any memories you'd care to share?

Nothing particularly special, but I remember going with a buddy to a local game center out in Kanazawa, around midnight one weekend, and stumbling upon a group of VF5 players who were absolutely amazing. The way they played was absolutely awe-inspiring. I never saw them during the daytime ever. I think they were a group of truckers or something.

Says a lot about the state of SEGA, hate to admit it. These have always been expensive games, and back in the 90's SEGA could afford them. We know that VF5 has made them a ton of cash over the last 10 years, so hopefully that'll justify a new game, but the days of getting three numbered entries in as many years are long gone.

As long as amusement centers are still a relevant part of their business I think a new numbered entry will eventually come. Until then we despair...

Theonik

I wish they did a proper port for the PS4 of VF5FS. It's one of the only reasons my PS3 is still plugged in.

I think VF6 is too much to ask for now. How sad.

oneida

I wish they did a proper port for the PS4 of VF5FS. It's one of the only reasons my PS3 is still plugged in.

I think VF6 is too much to ask for now. How sad.

To be frank the PSN servers seem worse and worse every day, I'd love to see the game come to current gen consoles but ideally that would come with PS+ exclusive servers or something. A PC port would be so nice...

Top Bottom