• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years of Virtua Fighter 5 (SEGAbits Retrospective)

IvorB

I saw "Virtua Fighter" in the thread title and thought it was some new game announcement for a split second before reality kicked it. :-(

Aki-at

Says a lot about the state of SEGA, hate to admit it. These have always been expensive games, and back in the 90's SEGA could afford them. We know that VF5 has made them a ton of cash over the last 10 years, so hopefully that'll justify a new game, but the days of getting three numbered entries in as many years are long gone.

Don't even think this has anything to do with the lack of cash, they just bought another developer recently.

I think them slowly moving away from traditional arcade entertainment has been the biggest stumbling block in a new title's development, since they've been producing a lot of rhythm games and medal/trading card games that something like Virtua Fisher isn't their premier arcade series (should be noted they close more arcades than open these days too :/)

Leaves me concerned about the future of the series. At least they could try and port VF5FS to PC/PS4/XBONE, I'd buy two copies as long as it's reasonably priced.

For fighting games in general? Absolutely.

I like you, you have GOOD tastes.

amdb00mer

tumblr_nnl1lfJk9c1slig2vo1_500.gif

10 years ago last Tuesday Virtua Fighter 5 debuted in Japanese arcades. I wrote an article for SEGAbits, looking back on the history of the game and its community.
From the article:

More at the link.

tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo3_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo2_400.gif

There's so much to discuss about VF5 that I'm not sure where to begin, personally I wasn't exposed to the game until the release of Final Showdown in 2012 and (obviously) I really took to it. That makes me late to the party, but I've spent the last four years playing the game almost exclusively, competing in tournaments from California to New York to Toronto.

On the one hand, it really is a shame that we haven't anything more than a rumor that this game will get a sequel. On the other, I think it holds up very well considering its age -- to some degree, all it needs is to be available on more platforms!

Did you play VF5 back in 2006? Any memories you'd care to share?

tumblr_nirc9ytAqq1slig2vo1_500.gif

For your sanity oneida I hope Sega steps up and makes VF5FS BC. :)

Theonik

To be frank the PSN servers seem worse and worse every day, I'd love to see the game come to current gen consoles but ideally that would come with PS+ exclusive servers or something. A PC port would be so nice...
A PC port would be really nice! I mostly play it offline atm with local groups so the servers aren't a huge issue.

Tizoc

Who can say? SEGA of Europe is the only branch that makes any noise these days, and the current MO for PC releases is to announce them 1 week before they launch, at a rate of 1 game per year. It's ridiculous.

That is some crazy NDA they got going if there aren't even any LEAKS of what they're working on.
Meanwhile, it is summer and Capcpom have Dead Rising 1 and Dragon's Dogma DA released before year's end.
By December we'd be having I dunno Ace Attorney Trilogy+Ghost Trick for all we know :V

SEGA Japan don't care man....pass me the sake brah, mine's empty.

MattXIII

Myself and two buddies where super into vanilla VF5 when it launched in Japan on PS3.

Remember many long sessions laughing our asses off at the ingame commentary. Plus countless rounds of Arika V Goh V Shun

Fantastic game that taught me a lot about mind-games in fighting games.

Hurry-up VF6 plz

I've been playing a lot of Jean lately, he is just so much fun and his moves look great.
Jean is a monster. I was abusing his roll and learned that you have to master his just frame moves to take full advantage of him. Best Jean I've played was GentlemenThief, cool guy that showed me a lot of tech.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Jean is a monster. I was abusing his roll and learned that you have to master his just frame moves to take full advantage of him. Best Jean I've played was GentlemenThief, cool guy that showed me a lot of tech.

GT is probably still the strongest VF player in America.

tumblr_nnl1lfJk9c1slig2vo1_500.gif

10 years ago last Tuesday Virtua Fighter 5 debuted in Japanese arcades. I wrote an article for SEGAbits, looking back on the history of the game and its community.
From the article:

More at the link.

tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo1_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo3_400.gif
tumblr_ncqn9x0c8P1slig2vo2_400.gif

There's so much to discuss about VF5 that I'm not sure where to begin, personally I wasn't exposed to the game until the release of Final Showdown in 2012 and (obviously) I really took to it. That makes me late to the party, but I've spent the last four years playing the game almost exclusively, competing in tournaments from California to New York to Toronto.

On the one hand, it really is a shame that we haven't anything more than a rumor that this game will get a sequel. On the other, I think it holds up very well considering its age -- to some degree, all it needs is to be available on more platforms!

Did you play VF5 back in 2006? Any memories you'd care to share?

tumblr_nirc9ytAqq1slig2vo1_500.gif

Wow.. so many feels with this article... I am beyond piss that Sega became what they are right now.. I still say VF is one the best fighting games on the market with its deep implemented mechanics.

laxu

Am I the only one who would want a new VF - but with VF1 art style? Obviously with more polygons but still retaining that angular, stylized look the first game had. I also kinda want the return of the varying environment heights where you had to decide a bit where you want to fight.

oneida

Am I the only one who would want a new VF - but with VF1 art style? Obviously with more polygons but still retaining that angular, stylized look the first game had. I also kinda want the return of the varying environment heights where you had to decide a bit where you want to fight.

This would be nice as an appetizer while we wait for a new game with a new graphics engine.
Mix it up and choose your VF experience:
VF2 models on VF3 stages with VF5 movelists and VF1 music.
VF5 models on VF1 stages with VF4 movelists and VF3 music.

etc.

Loona

Isn't it possible to unlocik VF1-style models for the characters in one of the more recent games, even for characters that weren't in VF1?

oneida

Isn't it possible to unlocik VF1-style models for the characters in one of the more recent games, even for characters that weren't in VF1?

Yes, VF4 allowed you to do this. In VF4EVO, not only can you use VF1 models, but you can unlock VF1 stages, too.

MattXIII

Almost forgot.
In the lead up to the PS3 launch of VF5 Sega asked players to submit their Name and Main character as opponents in Quest Mode.

I remember been so jazzed when I finally fought 'myself' in Quest Mode.
Funnily they've retained the same Quest Mode opponents in all future updates so my Brad can still be fought at the Sega Route 101 Arcade 10 years later ^.^

oneida

Almost forgot.
In the lead up to the PS3 launch of VF5 Sega asked players to submit their Name and Main character as opponents in Quest Mode.

I remember been so jazzed when I finally fought 'myself' in Quest Mode.
Funnily they've retained the same Quest Mode opponents in all future updates so my Brad can still be fought at the Sega Route 101 Arcade 10 years later ^.^

Sounds like a backer reward for the Virtua Fighter 6 Kickstarter :D

Minyobi

Ten years and I'm still salty about what they did to my dearest Vanessa.
The anger still BURNS!

Actually, I really like VF5, though I stopped actively playing it years ago.

GT is probably still the strongest VF player in America.

Man the amount of times I got bodied by him on XBLA...

This would be nice as an appetizer while we wait for a new game with a new graphics engine.
VF2 models on VF3 stages with VF5 movelists and VF1 music.

etc.

Yes please

I fell in love with it since the first one. I played the hell out of it at the arcades.. then kill it to death with my Sega Saturn. I was a happy kid...

All my friends were stuck with 16 bit 2-D fighting games and I wad living in the next generation..

Then I got VF Remix, VF2 and even VF Kids!!! I remember comparing my Sega Saturn version of VF2 to the arcades.. while the system produced an impressive game, I used to drool over the Model 2 in the Arcades especially Shun Di stage as the bridge passes on the top and casted a real shadow over the characters.. I was obsess with the details in this game..

Then VF3 came out in the arcades and it made me sad that the Saturn won't ever run such a beauty even though there were rumours that Sega was trying to port it...

The closest we got to that was Fighters Mega mix.. which was amazing but never as good as Model 3..

The dreamcast was the answer to Model 3 with VF3 Team Battle.. it was good but sure felt lacking after playing months of Soul Calibur on the DC...

VF4 was a beauty to see and at the time I was really angry that it didn't come out on a Sega console (I was a Sega fanboy)) I was so dumb that I even refused to buy VF4 on the PS2. I used to play it all the time at my friends house..

I also skip VF5 on the PS3... I knew it was a great game but I was already playing online fighting games on the original Xbox with DOA Ultimate.. I felt VF5 was a step back in graphics, environment interectivity, and online gameplay...

I remember reading an article with Sega explaining how impossible it was to do online gameplay due to the ping difference (it was more because the poor online infrastructure PS3 had at the time)

Then Sega announces VF5 on 360 and it was going to be online! Not only online.. but one of the most perfect servers the game can have. The reaction time was amazing online!!!

I was welcomed back with open arms to VF5 online where I played thousand of hours online

Thanks for taking me back into this nostalgic trip!!!

We will never get a VF6 :-(

It lives on in DOA5 at least.

Honestly, as much as I prefer VF's style of gameplay, I'd be okay if they went further with the VF characters in DOA6. They fit well enough because of the similar systems (since DOA is based on VF2, anyway) and it just adds more cast with a slightly faster/flashier/whatever system that most arcade goers have come to expect from a new fighting game.

I guess it really was a telltale sign when Tekken took over in arcades ahead of VF as the top money maker. :(

Honestly, as much as I prefer VF's style of gameplay, I'd be okay if they went further with the VF characters in DOA6. They fit well enough because of the similar systems (since DOA is based on VF2, anyway) and it just adds more cast with a slightly faster/flashier/whatever system that most arcade goers have come to expect from a new fighting game.

I guess it really was a telltale sign when Tekken took over in arcades ahead of VF as the top money maker. :(

Tekken took over because Sonys popularity.

VF is years ahead of Tekken

Aizo

Banned
I played as Goh so much. I once had a combo that took out a lot of the meter that I created. Phenomenal game.

oneida

BTW, you cannot buy VF5 cabs through SEGA, you must lease them. They've been collecting on their investment with VF5 for a long time.

Zaki2407

Still impress me even to this day. First time I played it back in 2006 when I'm still doing my Master degree in Tokyo. Bought the PS3 version day one at the time.

VF2 models on VF3 stages with VF5FS movelists and VF1 music.

etc.

FTFY. Lion's moveset is shit in vanilla VF5

I bought my first 360 with Sonic Unleashed, Sega Rally Revo and Virtua Fighter 5. It was like my childhood again. VF5 was my longest online experience untill VF5FS. Such a fun games with great online code. Probably Splatoon is the only online game that I've played that much untill now.

I'm an Akira and Lion player in VF5FS but I've played with Sarah, Shun, Kage and Jacky trough the series

I was a huge fan of the series since VF1 and VF2 is still one of the most impressive games that I've remember. Fighter Megamix and VF3 were awesome too. I miss VF4 and it revision due lack of PS2 at that moment sadly

I still waiting for that VF6 goodness. Please SEGA!

My introduction to the series began with VF4:Evo on the ps2.

I'm a terrible player though but I don't care, and I'll most certainly get any Steam port day1 no question. I'm sure VF5 would look astounding running at 4k even now.

AAK

The first VF game I ever took seriously, converting me into a life long fan.

As much shit as I give Namco for how they've handled Tekken recently, I should be grateful they didn't treat their IP's as bad as Sega treats Virtua Fighter. A real shame all that talent that created this great fighting game isn't being put to use evolving this IP further.

joanot

Excellent article !

VF is my favourite gaming franchise ever, I got into it with VF4 for the PS2 and I fell in love with the gameplay design & mechanics. It also ruined the rest of 3D fighters for me.

I still remember when I bought my PS3 at launch just to play VF5, ( in europe was a launch title). Then Sega announced VF5 Online for the 360 and I had to get that console too.

I think Sega dropped the ball with VF5 on consoles launching it too early for PS3 with no online, gameplay was inmaculate but the port was so barebones that it hurt sales big time, the game underperformed on both PS3 & 360.

With VF5 FS Sega took no risks and went with a budget release, ( lack of confidence after VF5 sales ? ), but the low price and bigger console installed base did wonders.

VF is in a rough spot today because arcade bussiness continues to shrink and Sega doesnt have enough confidence in console bussiness to push for a huge retail release ala Tekken/SF.

But Im still optimistic, I believe Am2 is working on VF6 and Sega is just waiting for the right time to launch it ( cheaper tech for the new arcade boards and bigger console install base ).

A-V-B

This is so sad. I was a huge VF head back in the day. I had an insane amount of hours in VF4 and VF4:Evolution, especially the latter. God that game had an AMAZING tutorial.

oneida

Reading about VF5, I just saw there was "Version B" of final showdown. Does anyone know what changes were made for it?

All it did was disable all VF.net features. Nothing gameplay or feature related.

Side note: if you live in the US, check to see if you are near a Round 1 arcade. They have VF5FS ver B. Pretty cool to play the arcade version of Final Showdown!

Excellent article !

VF is my favourite gaming franchise ever, I got into it with VF4 for the PS2 and I fell in love with the gameplay design & mechanics. It also ruined the rest of 3D fighters for me.

I still remember when I bought my PS3 at launch just to play VF5, ( in europe was a launch title). Then Sega announced VF5 Online for the 360 and I had to get that console too.

I think Sega dropped the ball with VF5 on consoles launching it too early for PS3 with no online, gameplay was inmaculate but the port was so barebones that it hurt sales big time, the game underperformed on both PS3 & 360.

With VF5 FS Sega took no risks and went with a budget release, ( lack of confidence after VF5 sales ? ), but the low price and bigger console installed base did wonders.

VF is in a rough spot today because arcade bussiness continues to shrink and Sega doesnt have enough confidence in console bussiness to push for a huge retail release ala Tekken/SF.

But Im still optimistic, I believe Am2 is working on VF6 and Sega is just waiting for the right time to launch it ( cheaper tech for the new arcade boards and bigger console install base ).

FWIW, VF5 on PS3 outsold SFV on PS4, despite having a MUCH smaller install base. I really wish that FS got a disc release, for so many reasons, and I think at the time SEGA was trying to concentrate on digital releases sadly. Now we see physical releases for games like DBFC, but not FS...

Piccoro

In VF4 EVO for the PS2, you could unlock VF1 graphics for the fighters and play with them on the VF4 stages.

Piccoro

You could also unlock VF1 stages to use VF4 models on!

That's right I didn't remember! I had so much fun with that game.
Final Showdown was also great on PS360, but the only complaint I had was that Sega downgraded the sound quality for some reason.

oneida

That's right I didn't remember! I had so much fun with that game.
Final Showdown was also great on PS360, but the only complaint I had was that Sega downgraded the sound quality for some reason.

Probably necessary to keep the filesize minimum. I remember something about MS mandating a 2.0GB maximum filesize for XBLA titles around that time, and VF5FS is exactly 2.0GB.

I loved VF5 and still do. Amazing fighter and it feels great. This is why I do not appreciate getting nothing but Sonic games from Sega when one of the best fighters of all time desperately needs a sequel after 10 years. DOA6 would work also, but that's probably 2019 at the earliest.

Top Bottom