• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

12 Games - 12 Scores, What's Your Prediction? (2017 Edition)

bombshell

23 points so far for me. Next up Mass Effect which I've scored too high by the looks of it these last few days with impressions. I predicted it at 87.

Scores aren't listed in the OP yet so I've just looked them up:

Halo Wars 2 (Xbone) - 79
Horizon: Zero Dawn - 89
Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch) - 97

Game 1. Halo Wars 2 - 83 (6 points)
Game 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 87 (8 points)
Game 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 92 (5 points)
Game 4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 85
Game 5. Yooka-Laylee - 77
Game 6. Sonic Mania - 85
Game 7. Cuphead - 80
Game 8. Crackdown 3 - 78
Game 9. Super Mario Odyssey - 91
Game 10. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 88
Game 11. Prey - 86
Game 12. Assassin's Creed - delayed into 2018

Exact Score = 12 points
1 point off = 9 Points
2 points off = 8 Points
3 points off = 7 Points
4 points off = 6 Points
5 points off = 5 Points
6 points off = 4 Points
7 points off = 3 Points
8 points off = 2 Points
9 points off = 1 Points
10+ points off = 0 Points
Delayed to 2018 = 5 points
Cancelled = 10 points

I'm on 19 points so far. Not so great.

reKon

Banned
Damn I should have done this. I would have surely came off with the strong. Smh at the predictions scores I've read through on the first few pages, lol.

Just because scoring is harder this generation doesn't mean that games with great potential will not score well or games series that traditional done well won't...

I'm not sure the thought process behind people who predicted Zelda being less than 90. That was an easy one... All you literally had to do was take a look at past game metacritic score at the VERY least.

As for Horizon, lol at people rating it less than 80 based on all the impressions we've gotten prior to this thread.

But yeah, I didn't get chance to do my own in this thread. I have separate posts where I guess an 88 for Horizon and a 96 for Zelda. I didn't post any prediction about Halo Wars, but mine guess for a game like that would have been 80.

You can be sure that Mario and Uncharted will be at 90 and above. The big game on there that's actually throwing me off is Mass Effect.

JJShadow

Not bad, 23 points so far for me, almost nailed Halo Wars (78/79) and Horizon (88/89) but Zelda totally exceeded my expectations

It's interesting to see how Horizon and Zelda exceeded most people's expectations as well, the average for each one was 84.5 and 92 respectively

Axass

27 points, nice. However I'm going down with Andromeda. I thought it would underperform, but went higher than I thought (85), especially since I thought many review outlets would give it a pass anyway. It's bombing in a stellar way, I should've trusted my instinct.

Zedark

I am doing quite well until now, but ME:A is just going to kill me barring some drastic turn around in its score.

I just got majorly screwed by Mass Effect. I thought the critics would fawn over it like they do with all Bioware games, but I guess this time the flaws were just too obvious to ignore.

I just got majorly screwed by Mass Effect. I thought the critics would fawn over it like they do with all Bioware games, but I guess this time the flaws were just too obvious to ignore.
Releasing after 3 incredibly well reviewed open world games probably didn't help matters as well. Now the question is; how is it going to affect sales? We know it didn't do jack to ghost recon: wildlands

Yeah, I'll have a look through the topic but I'd be surprised if more than an outlier or two expected ME:A to score so low.

Releasing after 3 incredibly well reviewed open world games probably didn't help matters as well. Now the question is; how is it going to affect sales? We know it didn't do jack to ghost recon: wildlands

This is also true. Who would have thought a few years ago that the developers of Killzone would make a better ARPG than BioWare?!

ME:A's average predicted score was 85. Which means if it holds steady we'll literally almost 2/3 of the scores being zero. Only 8 people out of over 300 predicted 75 or less (four predicted 75).

daveo42

Banned
Mass Effect has probably fucked me for the rest of the year. It's probably fucked a ton of people in here if that 75 holds.

Zedark

ME:A's average predicted score was 85. Which means if it holds steady we'll literally almost 2/3 of the scores being zero. Only 8 people out of over 300 predicted 75 or less (four predicted 75).

That's some perspective! Looks like ME:A is underperforming critically by quite a massive amount. The people who predicted lower are going to make a huge jump in the ranking, basically a chance for a few to nestle themselves on top. The competition just became that much more interesting!

DylanEno

Is it too late to enter? Lol

Game 5. Yooka-Laylee - 85
Game 6. Sonic Mania - 88
Game 7. Cuphead - 73
Game 8. Crackdown 3 - 75
Game 9. Super Mario Odyssey - 95
Game 10. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 88
Game 11. Prey - 84
Game 12. Assassin's Creed - 69

That's some perspective! Looks like ME:A is underperforming critically by quite a massive amount. The people who predicted lower are going to make a huge jump in the ranking, basically a chance for a few to nestle themselves on top. The competition just became that much more interesting!

The interesting part is a lot of the members on the top of the leaderboard were way off on this one.

For the future I think the biggest wildcard is Cuphead.

Game 1. Halo Wars 2 - 77 - 79
Game 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 90 - 89
Game 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 93 - 97
Game 4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 91 - 75
Game 5. Yooka-Laylee - 82
Game 6. Sonic Mania - 71
Game 7. Cuphead - 81
Game 8. Crackdown 3 - 90
Game 9. Super Mario Odyssey - 88
Game 10. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 87
Game 11. Prey - 84
Game 12. Assassin's Creed - 88

Holy shit was I off with Mass Effect, lol.

Currently sitting at 75.....

weekev

Banned
I thought my 83 was terrible when the reviews came out, but at least Im gonna get a couple of points which appears to be more than most. Reasonably happy.

I'm now wondering if I've estimated too high on Crackdown. I really don't think it's going to be this big amazing AAA game a lot of Xbox fans seem to, and reviewers are being harsher with scores almost across the board. If it doesn't have some depth and it doesn't have good shooting mechanics then it could score very poorly. The tech looks amazing but will it have more going on under the hood?

Chobel

Game 1. Halo Wars 2 - 81 (79) ---> 8 points
Game 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 80 (89) ---> 1 point
Game 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 93 (97) ---> 6 points
Game 4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 79 (75) ---> 6 points

Not bad, but not good either. I shouldn't have underestimated Horizon XD

Spman2099

I think Mass Effect buried a lot of people...

I am pretty sure I will be pretty highly ranked after Mass Effect is scored, but I am not confident with the next three. I am just hoping I can have a little time in the sun before I come hurdling back to earth...

I think Mass Effect buried a lot of people...

I am pretty sure I will be pretty highly ranked after Mass Effect is scored, but I am not confident with the next three. I am just hoping I can have a little time in the sun before I come hurdling back to earth...

I have a feeling Yooka-Laylee is going to score a lot lower than most of us expect. Deliberately antiquated style of game + harsher critics this gen = mid 70s I'm thinking. I think the reviews for it are up tomorrow.

Zedark

I have a feeling Yooka-Laylee is going to score a lot lower than most of us expect. Deliberately antiquated style of game + harsher critics this gen = mid 70s I'm thinking. I think the reviews for it are up tomorrow.

What I have heard about the minigames from the previews seems more worrying than the style. Several people have said they simply are not fun. I bet 81 and I am honestly a bit worried about it. Anyway, we'll see in a day or two what it'll turn out to be if the reviews are up tomorrow.

hotcyder

Considering some of the things I've heard about it - I think my score of 75 may of been a bit too high :|

Airbar

Neo Member
Sitting at 26 points after ME:A. Not too bad but could definitely be better. Crazy I got Halo Wars 2 on point having never played anything Halo ever.

Spman2099

Yeah, I am getting the feeling that it may end up being in the low to mid 70's. I voted with my heart, which was probably a mistake.

Spman2099

Yup! I'll be updating this thread this week. Probably with updated images as well! I've been putting it off until I have time to make them. Sorry for the delay!

Servbot24

Banned
I didn't see this thread when it was created but just for fun I'll give my honest prerelease expectations for past games:

Game 1. Halo Wars 2 - 82
Game 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 86
Game 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 88
Game 4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 84
Game 5. Yooka-Laylee - 76
Game 6. Sonic Mania - 82
Game 7. Cuphead - 72
Game 8. Crackdown 3 - 69
Game 9. Super Mario Odyssey - 92
Game 10. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 89
Game 11. Prey - 81
Game 12. Assassin's Creed - 85

Things have been so quiet with Cuphead. If it's not at E3 next month I can see it missing 2017 altogether.

I currently only have Assassin's Creed down for a delay.

I didn't see this thread when it was created but just for fun I'll give my honest prerelease expectations for past games:

Game 1. Halo Wars 2 - 82
Game 2. Horizon: Zero Dawn - 86
Game 3. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 88
Game 4. Mass Effect: Andromeda - 84
Game 5. Yooka-Laylee - 76
Game 6. Sonic Mania - 82
Game 7. Cuphead - 72
Game 8. Crackdown 3 - 69
Game 9. Super Mario Odyssey - 92
Game 10. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 89
Game 11. Prey - 81
Game 12. Assassin's Creed - 85

I will add you as void so you can track :). You won't be added to the ranking spreadsheet.

Plum

Dantrist

Decided to just get the spreadsheet updated at least. It is now done. I locked Prey in at 80. Yooka Laylee at 69. Should be good! Top 10(ish):

ZAMtendo 42
Plum 42
Kayero 41
Dantrist 40
Schyz 40
weekev 39
Malakiax 39
zdenko1 38
Spman2099 37
LeleSocho 37
bytesized 37
PayOffWizard 37
NathanDiego 37
JasonMCG 37

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...25dVbhYT-wGE24AAoiZ7uBVDQ/edit#gid=1847418456
Nice, those 12 points on Prey helped a lot!

So are you waiting for the Switch version of Yooka Laylee in case that gets more reviews than the PS4 one?
I would like to know this, too. Well, not the waiting part, but whether you would edit it if it gets more reviews.

Top Bottom