• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

120/144Hz Thread of Lightboosting Pixel Perfect Headshots

TehWhite

Neo Member
FS2333 is an IPS panel, not 120Hz.

If the price on the FG2421 is a bit too much to stomach, I'd look at the ASUS if you want a blur-free experience, or the QNIX if you want pretty colors. If you're not too bothered by your current setup, I might even suggest waiting for a G-Sync 1440p PLS/IPS panel.

Yeah, but you can't run an Xbox One output at 120Hz.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00556F900/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C0Q00S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Those run at 720p/120Hz.

Really? Is that the same for Ps4? and would it still make a difference even if its not 120hz or not.

Ceebs

As someone whom you would have to pry my 1440p out of my cold dead hands...that QNIX monitor looks great.

God forbid the kind of setup you would need to drive it to get the most out of it.

Already planning on doing at least 2 of whatever the top end Maxwell card will be just to push my current Crossover.

Damian.

Banned
I tried lightboost on my VG248QE and while it was really nice, CRT levels of clarity like the good old days but, I was getting a ghost image on my mouse cursor when I moved it really fast. Is this normal?

EDIT: I was using the Strobelight app by ToastyX if that matters.

FS2333 is an IPS panel, not 120Hz.

If the price on the FG2421 is a bit too much to stomach, I'd look at the ASUS if you want a blur-free experience, or the QNIX if you want pretty colors. If you're not too bothered by your current setup, I might even suggest waiting for a G-Sync 1440p PLS/IPS panel.

this is exactly what i'm waiting for

I'm interested in 1980 x 1200 resolution monitors, but I don't see any mention of it on Blur Busters. I've got a couple of friends with these for their rigs and I really like them, but is this something that I should just forget about if I really want to make the jump to 120Hz or 144Hz?

mkenyon

Banned
I'm interested in 1980 x 1200 resolution monitors, but I don't see any mention of it on Blur Busters. I've got a couple of friends with these for their rigs and I really like them, but is this something that I should just forget about if I really want to make the jump to 120Hz or 144Hz?
Yup.

Doikor

are their projectors that run at 120hz? I wanted to have a projector setup in my room for my xbox one soon ;-) .

Won't do you any good if the games don't run at 120fps.

Anyone know if 120hz IPS panels are coming anytime soon? I just can't change back from my dell. Every time I play at one of my friends pcs who have these "gaming monitors" i just can't stand the colours.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I tried lightboost on my VG248QE and while it was really nice, CRT levels of clarity like the good old days but, I was getting a ghost image on my mouse cursor when I moved it really fast. Is this normal?

EDIT: I was using the Strobelight app by ToastyX if that matters.

Only thing I might mention if your contrast is high like 80 or above you get things like that. Try something slightly lower and hopeful the lower contrast doesn't annoy you. Hardforum has a post on tracefree and contrast settings but I have no clue on what page in the big ass VG248QE or lightboost thread where it is. Also high lightboost settings have an effect I use 50% or 10% for the best effect.

mkenyon

Banned
Won't do you any good if the games don't run at 120fps.

Anyone know if 120hz IPS panels are coming anytime soon? I just can't change back from my dell. Every time I play at one of my friends pcs who have these "gaming monitors" i just can't stand the colours.
Read the OP. QNIX Evolution II.

For competitive gaming, 120Hz Lightboost is a night and day improvement over 60Hz. For isometric games where the camera doesn't shift that much, I'd classify it as a minor improvement, but when we're talking shooters where motion resolution is far more important, it's a gamechanger. I can never go back to 60Hz for Counter-Strike GO.

Driving a mouse at 120hz is so much easier and responsive though, I think it's a lot better for clicking on things quickly

Starviper

Very relevent --

I just recently picked up the Asus monitor. I have it setup next to an older HP 23" 60Hz monitor and to me, the difference is definitely night and day. Simply doing mouse circles you can see the 144hz monitor refreshes far faster, as there are far more copies of the pointer on the screen when doing circles quickly than on the 60hz monitor. Games also seem to play far better -- Battlefield 4 is beautiful and I don't have to worry about being limited by the refresh rate on the monitor in any way.

I highly recommend you guys pick one of these up if you're just starting a new build for your primary monitor. There is no reason to get multiple, unless you plan on doing some sort of tri-monitor setup. Having 1 next to a standard monitor is just fine.

Vaiim

I've had a Benq XL2420T for almost a year now. Truly loving 120hz, definitely wont go back to 60hz ever. Only bad thing about 120hz is you want to get 120fps out of your games for max effect (although anything over 60fps = profit!). But on some games like BF4 it's saddens me to admit that my inferior PC cannot reach the promised land... -.-

Doikor

Read the OP. QNIX Evolution II.

From what I've head it has a bit wobbly stand and i use a standing desk so its not a good combo. So i would have to drop another 50 to 100 euros for a good VESA stand. And having to order from outside of the eu is a pain in the ass with the taxes and shit. Not that I have the gfx card to run my games at 120fps anyway (waiting for 290/290X with proper non-reference coolers to make my choice between those or 780)

LCGeek

formerly sane
From what I've head it has a bit wobbly stand and i use a standing desk so its not a good combo. So i would have to drop another 50 to 100 euros for a good VESA stand. And having to order from outside of the eu is a pain in the ass with the taxes and shit. Not that I have the gfx card to run my games at 120fps anyway (waiting for 290/290X with proper non-reference coolers to make my choice between those or 780)

Hardforum gives out good places to buy the monitor you want.

Bagina

Banned
Yes there is Mark Rejhon on these boards and others has highlighted until both lb and gsync are combined you will run in to different issues.

- All G-SYNC monitors include an official strobe backlight mode, better than LightBoost!
- Mark Rejhon has quickly come up with a new method of dynamically blending PWM-free backlight at lower framerates to strobing at higher framerates; see addendum to Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight. This allows combining LightBoost + G-SYNC without creating flicker during lower framerates! From: http://www.blurbusters.com/nvidia-g-sync-variable-refresh-rate-monitors/

Those are fixes to improve G-sync and aren't alternatives. I might have just read the original post wrong, but how it sounded was: you don't need to wait, buy the Eizo because what G-sync offers doesn't really matter in comparison. When the reverse is true.

Rizific

I've been wanting to get into 120hz monitor land for some time now. But sadly, I'm over here barely maintaining 60fps in bf4. I'll make it my goal for next year. Time to drop some big money on a gpu then.

mkenyon

Banned
Those are fixes to improve G-sync and aren't alternatives. I might have just read the original post wrong, but how it sounded was: you don't need to wait, buy the Eizo because what G-sync offers doesn't really matter in comparison. When the reverse is true.
It's a theory, not something that is planning on being implemented. As of right now, it is impossible to use a strobing backlight with G-Sync.

The reverse is not true, as the main point of G-Sync is to eliminate frame tearing and reduce blur. The Eizo does both of those things, but with improved colors/contrast (TY, VA panel), and firmware-level lightboost.
I've been wanting to get into 120hz monitor land for some time now. But sadly, I'm over here barely maintaining 60fps in bf4. I'll make it my goal for next year. Time to drop some big money on a gpu then.
Try turning down some settings? I've been able to maintain 8.3ms frametimes fairly easily with a 4770K and 7970 @ 1200MHz.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's a theory, not something that is planning on being implemented. As of right now, it is impossible to use a strobing backlight with G-Sync.

The reverse is not true, as the main point of G-Sync is to eliminate frame tearing and reduce blur. The Eizo does both of those things, but with improved colors/contrast (TY, VA panel), and firmware-level lightboost.

Thank god your back, you articulated that point better than what I've been trying to write out for 10 minutes.

Naminator

Banned
What in particular are you talking about?

Unfortunately, that display does not support lightboost.

Thanks, I didn't know that because this monitor is listed as compatible on the website you provided, but I guess it's just a different revision, damn Acer and their model naming department.

Rizific

Try turning down some settings? I've been able to maintain 8.3ms frametimes fairly easily with a 4770K and 7970 @ 1200MHz.
A possibility. But at what cost graphically? I'm running a 7950 with no AA and everything ultra except for lighting and effects on high. Or maybe I'll just get another 7950 for xfire? That should last me a while I'm thinking.

mdrejhon

Before you read this, I want everyone to click on this link to BlurBusters, as a good amount of my knowledge has come from Mark Rejhon and the amazing work he does there. This is one of the most important websites for information regarding display technology. Visit it more often.
Thanks for an unexpected compliment for such a humble website! I launched my Arduino Scanning Backlight Project (from a tweet reply from John Carmack before LightBoost was discovered as an off-the-shelf option, as a big hobby of mine (which led to my paper, Electronics Hacking: Creating a Strobe Backlight earlier this year). Today, now both EIZO has loaned me an FG2421 and also BENQ is sending me their XL2720Z for testing, feedback to them, and publishing a review (the first ever ones).

I wanted to also inform everyone that manufacturers are finally listening -- they're now adding official strobe backlights to computer monitors, including:

-- EIZO FG2421, with official Turbo240, which is EIZO marketspeak for "LightBoost" easily enabled via monitor button
-- BENQ XL2720Z (coming December), with official "Blur Reduction", their own version of "LightBoost" easily enabled via monitor button
-- Sony's "Motionflow Impulse" (Sony's version of LightBoost). Flickers 60Hz, but no worse than a good plasma.
-- NVIDIA G-SYNC optional strobe mode

After so many months of unofficial LightBoost hacks (made easy with the third-party ToastyX Strobelight utility), display makers are finally noticing LightBoost, and adding optional strobing features to their displays. It's great to know that this market is finally being acknowledged by several manufacturers.

P.S. I also make a public plea to NVIDIA, as well as AndyBNV, to give attention to the NVIDIA Triple Monitor Surround LightBoost Scandal, and provide a solution to these people ASAP. Some people purchased thousands of dollars of hardware and are currently in the lurch. Please help. Thank you. If you are planning to purchase triple monitors, I steer you to Radeon 290X's and triple EIZO FG2421's or triple BENQ XL2720Z's (or any of the officially-sanctioned non-LightBoost strobe backlights models found in the 120Hz monitors list that you posted), because of the situation. I am currently dissapointed at NVIDIA's treatment of triple-monitor LightBoost customers, since I'm "unexpectedly" a valluable NVIDIA salesperson because my LightBoost information and instructions have helped so many NVIDIA users, who often purchase GTX 680's, 770's, 780's and TITAN's to take advantage of LightBoost.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
... I wanted to also inform everyone that manufacturers are finally listening -- they're now adding official strobe backlights to computer monitors, including: ...

You're a hero!

Lightboost is giving me some grief because I have some games that behave strangely when it's active, almost like it's detecting the stereo mode and adjusting some parts of the engine. One game doubled up forward/backward motion on a car, another seems to only update at 60Hz internally while it's active. Glad to see some monitors have strobing in pure hardware instead of relying on the display driver trick.

Do you have a favourite between the EIZO FG2421 and BENQ XL2720Z? I'd probably go for the 27" unless the quality's a lot worse.

Grayman

Thank you for posting this thread. I had experimented with lightboost before but it did not stick after a reboot under the old method. Now that there is an app I should be able to set it and forget it.

Does anyone have calibration tips for a lightboosted XL2420T?

mdrejhon

That's how I demo 120Hz and LightBoost to people. I open a window with some text in it.
You can also show off www.testufo.com/framerates-text and www.testufo.com/photo too. TestUFO Motion Tests are very good for showing this off, it does perfect 120fps@120Hz in Chrome, Opera and FireFox with no plugins. You can even adjust ToastyX Strobelight while you adjust these settings, even including the Strobe settings, such as the LightBoost strobe brightness settings (10%, 50%, 100%) which actually adds slight further improvements to motion clarity, when you use shorter (lower) strobe brightness settings. At lower strobe brightness settings, it has less motion blur than a Sony GDM-W900 CRT.

LightBoost_settings-300x168.jpg

LightBoost 10% versus 50% versus 100% also makes a minor difference too. For these very subtle settings, view the TestUFO Panning Map test while adjusting LightBoost % settings. You can actually read the map labels with LightBoost, and also additionally turn ON/OFF LightBoost to show the big motion blur mess when LightBoost is turned off. It's a great way to show off LightBoost.

FoxSpirit

Disadvatage of all the monitors: no landscape mode. On the Eizo, since it has no Vesa, not even retrofitting it.

I won't plonk down 500 bucks on a monitor that can't display Pinball Arcade properly.

mdrejhon

Does anyone have calibration tips for a lightboosted XL2420T?
For Desktop, go to NVIDIA Control Panel, and use these settings for better LightBoost color quality:

nVidia Control Panel Desktop Brightness = 52%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Contrast = 45%
nVidia Control Panel Desktop Gamma = 0.70

This makes LightBoost more colorful, with less gamma bleaching. For Radeon users, I'm not sure which settings are, but you need to darken your gamma by about 0.3, raise brightness about 5%, and reduce contrast about 10% -- this 'undoes' the LightBoost gamma bleach. Also, some videogames may have similiar adjustments available, too -- use these recommendations as a guideline.

For good colors out of the box, try ASUS VG278H, BENQ XL2720Z (December), or the premium EIZO FG2421. These are better colors for LightBoost 2D (2D-use). The EIZO FG2421 is far more colorful, and certain monitors such as ASUS VG278H (non-'E'' model) has much better LightBoost than VG248QE. However, the VG248QE does have a G-SYNC upgrade coming, which provides interesting variable-refresh-rate options & an official vendor sanctioned strobe mode (finally).

I'm waiting for Eizo to build a "240 Hz" VA 1440p monitor with G-sync. I'm willing to pay 4 figures.
Manufacturers, take note. People want strobe backlights nowadays!

mdrejhon

As of right now, it is impossible to use a strobing backlight with G-Sync.
Actually, I've developed an algorithm that prevents flicker during variable refresh rates, and even gradually stops strobing the lower refresh rate you go (the strobing waves flatten out to DC as refresh rate goes below flicker fusion threshold). This algorithm is being offered to NVIDIA for free...

Do you have a favourite between the EIZO FG2421 and BENQ XL2720Z? I'd probably go for the 27" unless the quality's a lot worse.
The FG2421 has arrived in my hands. The XL2720Z will be in my hands in December.

I'm going to post an FG2421 review at the end of the month. But I like its color better than every single LightBoost monitor ever released. This is the best VA I have ever seen in my lifetime, despite VA's limitations. I'd say that the Turbo240 is successfully hiding about 80% of the VA's typical slowness; which is quite impressive. A VA with far less motion blur than a non-LightBoosted TN -- something many people never expected to happen! It's not as sharp motion as LightBoost=10% setting, and some minor ghosting occurs, but at this stage, it's a mere nitpick.

Noob here, very interested in all this stuff but im wondering a few things.

Arent most games locked FPS wise??? im guessing every time you guys try to play the latest console ports, you are left without the ability to use all this stuff because they are all capped to 30fps or 60fps.

So are these setups more for people who play PC competitive games with tons of graphcis options like CS:Go????

Right now I have 4 screens, Dell 2405 displays from 2005, they are all 60hz, I use them in an Eyefinity Setup, what exactly would happen if I get me one of the monitors in the OP to use as my center screen? would it get locked to 60hz to match the rest, or could it run by itself in 120hz while the rest run in 60hz???

Thanks

No mention of 40fps? While I play most games at 120 or 60fps, I like to play the occasional game at 40fps when looking for maximum eye candy. Games like Crysis 3 or heavily modded Skyrim. 40fps feels much, much better than 30fps in my opinion, while offering a lot more head room for eye candy than 60fps.

Arent most games locked FPS wise??? im guessing every time you guys try to play the latest console ports, you are left without the ability to use all this stuff because they are all capped to 30fps or 60fps.

So are these setups more for people who play PC competitive games with tons of graphcis options like CS:Go????

Right now I have 4 screens, Dell 2405 displays from 2005, they are all 60hz, I use them in an Eyefinity Setup, what exactly would happen if I get me one of the monitors in the OP to use as my center screen? would it get locked to 60hz to match the rest, or could it run by itself in 120hz while the rest run in 60hz???

Thanks

Most games are not capped, and of the few that are, most can be uncapped with relative lease. Any halfway decent PC game does not lock framerate.

Seanspeed

Banned

On PC, no. Most games have unlocked framerates. There are the occasional shitty ports that limit this, but they are not the norm, thankfully.

Me, I'll be getting a 1440p monitor before I go 120hz. For one, I don't think I can go back to a TN display. IPS is just soooooo much better looking. And I'd rather put my power towards a resolution bump. I'm quite ok with 60fps.

mkenyon

Banned
Thanks for an unexpected compliment for such a humble website!
You deserve every bit of it.
Actually, I've developed an algorithm that prevents flicker during variable refresh rates, and even gradually stops strobing the lower refresh rate you go (the strobing waves flatten out to DC as refresh rate goes below flicker fusion threshold). This algorithm is being offered to NVIDIA for free...
But will they implement it?
I'm going to post an FG2421 review at the end of the month. But I like its color better than every single LightBoost monitor ever released. This is the best VA I have ever seen in my lifetime, despite VA's limitations. I'd say that the Turbo240 is successfully hiding about 80% of the VA's typical slowness; which is quite impressive. A VA with far less motion blur than a non-LightBoosted TN -- something many people never expected to happen! It's not as sharp motion as LightBoost=10% setting, and some minor ghosting occurs, but at this stage, it's a mere nitpick.
I really do see this as the ultimate display for the time being. The input lag being the only slight limitation, but it's very tiny, especially considering the frame times (and therefore input polling rate) that people get in the games where those milliseconds matter.

Feel free to ignore this if you feel cornered, but for someone who is looking for the ultimate display, would you still suggest this despite the pending G-Sync release?

LaneDS

I'm confused why some TVs claim to be native 120Hz panels (I know many if not the majority of them use a variety of techniques to claim outrageous refresh rates) but don't offer inputs capable of handling 120Hz signals.

Great thread though in any case. Really would like a proper 120Hz monitor but recently invested in a 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp display which I'd feel too guilty about not using.

Grayman

Thanks
I am using a 120hz screen with a 60hz beside it with no problems at all. I don't know if Eyefinity will change that though? Gaming across all 3 would require a common hz. I game on the 120hz and leave programs like steam chat on the 60hz monitor.

vazel

Banned
Amazing that Eizo makes VA panels with Lightboost-like functionality. I didn't think any manufacturer would find it economical to make panels like that. I'll be sure to snag one up early next year.

Durante

The FG2421 has arrived in my hands. The XL2720Z will be in my hands in December.

It's getting really hard to resist buying a FG2421, but I don't really have space for a 2 monitor (with one being 27") setup and I can't imagine going back to programming at such "low" resolution...

Top Bottom