• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 years ago today the best fighting game port of all time arrived on PS2

Hey you are the one who said it, I never insinuated it, but 13 is an unlucky number and multiple of 5s are the general milestone values.

Besides we wouldn't have VF4 if not for the stuff introduced in VF3 that would lead to VF4 being the awesome game everyone praises it for.

SF5 isn't the only fighting game that ever released between VF4 and now :V

And again, NONE of them cribbed from Sega on their works.

And sales were all over the board anyways...

Tain

The Tobal games may have it beat when it comes to the big quest mode, but those are console-original games!

So yeah, I'll agree. This game (with vanilla VF5 in second place) are on top when it comes to home port modes.

webkatt

Can I have a copy of the game?

Also wheres the cheapest place to get a Dual Shock 2? I recently found my old PS2 but I don't have a controller, lol

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Can I have a copy of the game?

Also wheres the cheapest place to get a Dual Shock 2? I recently found my old PS2 but I don't have a controller, lol
hole in the wall game shops are a tremendous resource.

i'll PM you when i get the next batch :)

hiro4

Training/ tutorial mode was amazone in thuis game and made trying other characters so much fun.

I remember training all the counters with Aoi so the next time I played against friends I could have perfect counter matches with her.

To me it was the pinnacle of virtua fighter and is also the one I played the most of. Such a great package.

oneida

Gonna spend the afternoon playing Shun as I've never taken the time to learn him in this game. Really satisfying to win a match using a setup you learned from character tutorials. Game looks super good on a CRT through component :D

adamYUKI

lHw2W4H.jpg

Nice stick brah! =) Great post by the way. I loved being able to play with VF1 flat-shaded models; too good!!!

oneida

Nice stick brah! =) Great post by the way. I loved being able to play with VF1 flat-shaded models; too good!!!
XD i didn't know you were on GAF adam. OG from the new york scene! Your sword has been put to good use.

I saw this super cheap at a games shop in downtown Toronto yesterday.

Thanks to this writeup I think I'll go for it next time I visit. Great stuff OP.

oneida

I saw this super cheap at a games shop in downtown Toronto yesterday.

Thanks to this writeup I think I'll go for it next time I visit. Great stuff OP.
as it happens if you live in toronto you get to play VF offline :) strong scene there, they meet mondays (or tuesdays?) at A&C games!

Gestault

As far as one could say "objectively" in this sort of conversation about best FG ports, I'd argue for Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, in terms of technically exceeding not only the arcade game but basically anything seen in home gaming up to that point, and also in terms of added single-player content.

VF4 Evo is still magnificent. I loved the virtual arcade mode. OP's write-up is the best kind of tribute.

oneida

As far as one could say "objectively" in this sort of conversation about best FG ports, I'd argue for Soul Calibur on Dreamcast, in terms of technically exceeding not only the arcade game but basically anything seen in home gaming up to that point, and also in terms of added single-player content.

VF4 Evo is still magnificent. I loved the virtual arcade mode. OP's write-up is the best kind of tribute.
SC on DC is a great example of a developer improving on an arcade release in its home port, but i'd argue that the console release of VF4EVO is superior to its arcade release too in that theres just so much more to do. When comparing SC and VF4EVO, the latter has a /lot/ more content too. SC is terrific for sure though.

That's not street fighter zero 3 for the Saturn...
nope, it isn't.

Synth

the thread is best fighting game on Ps2

That extra qualifier isn't really necessary (pretty sure it's supposed to be taken as "the best fighting game port of all time" arrived on PS2.

SFA3 was a great port, but it's a tier below something like VF4Evo imo. Now, Soul Calibur DC is a legitimate contender.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
In honor of this I pulled out my copy an went through all of Jacky's command training. His is one of the rare few in any fighting game I can actually complete!

Remember that Virtua Fighter 2 on PSN / XBLA included both VF2 and VF2.1
True but from what I understand that's all it had. None of the extra bells & whistles from the Saturn release like the fmv's an other stuff. What makes VF4:Evo and VF5 so great are the extra console content!

oneida

I'm not trying to take anything away from VF4. I respect it even if it isn't a personal favorite of mine (it's a deep game from what I understand).

But... what about SoulCalibur? That Dreamcast version was even better than its arcade counterpart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Rdg6A-KJs
yes, see my response below
SC on DC is a great example of a developer improving on an arcade release in its home port, but i'd argue that the console release of VF4EVO is superior to its arcade release too in that theres just so much more to do. When comparing SC and VF4EVO, the latter has a /lot/ more content too. SC is terrific for sure though.

Solid game. I remember being so blown away when my friend got the import version, and I was working at EB Games during that time, we showed it off before it came out in the states. I had my copy preordered and I even managed to get the day off early so I could go play it. Like the OP, for a while there I would pick up any copy that I would see and give it to people as gifts, it's that good of a game.

Can anyone else recall the first time they played it in the arcades? I remember mine, it was at LeFun in Austin. I had played vanilla VF4 for a bit already, since Einstein's had gotten it and had 2-3 machines set up, but I remember about 6-8 months later kinda half seeing this funky looking Gauntlet Legends cabinet out of the corner of my eye.. did a double take and it was acutally VF Evo *lol*

I am arguing that there is no better arcade->console port than VF4EVO on any console.

That extra qualifier isn't really necessary (pretty sure it's supposed to be taken as "the best fighting game port of all time" arrived on PS2.

SFA3 was a great port, but it's a tier below something like VF4Evo imo. Now, Soul Calibur DC is a legitimate contender.

sorry I misunderstood

Can we please stop having dick suck threads for everyone'ss favorite fighting games? VF4:EVO's port is really no better than any other 3D fighter's port from the same era. They all had tons of content & were either perfect ports or improved ports from the arcade version.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The buttrock music sucked compared to VF4 vanilla. Otherwise, a wonderful game. I bought it day one.

Ah, you're following the Japanese date. Thought i was going crazy, because I clearly remembered picking this up new in the summer heat after the Toronto blackout of 2003, haha. The NA release was in August.

Rambler

VF4 Evo was the first fighting game that made an honest attempt at teaching you how to play it, and that's worth more than a thousand terrible story cutscenes and gimmick modes.

Can we please stop having dick suck threads for everyone'ss favorite fighting games? VF4:EVO's port is really no better than any other 3D fighter's port from the same era. They all had tons of content & were either perfect ports or improved ports from the arcade version.

Someone's grumpy

Senior Lurker

MS Informed
Exceptional game. I have fond memories of playing some version of VF4 in Tokyo and playing Bun Bun Maru.

And the port is incredible. Being able to practice And learn about techniques such as evade throw escape guard , within the game, is unmatched.

Many fighting games simply fail to address he need to teach advanced tech and thus people have to rely mostly on outsider resources.

Spman2099

Such a great game... This is a series that doesn't necessarily give me what I want in a fighting game, but I respect the execution so much that I am always happy to buy the next iteration.

Brad with eye patch and claw scar for life.

G0523

Amazing game in its own right, regardless of system or if it's a port. OP, you did a damn fine job talking up about this game.

The only thing I didn't like was that my save data from VF4 vanilla didn't transfer to VF4 Evo. But that just means it was an excuse to play the game all over again. It's not a bad thing.

Shy

Fucking love this game, so, so much.

I remember getting the import Japanese version on the day of release (today, 13 years ago. lol) cost me 75 pounds.

Top Bottom