• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 years ago today the best fighting game port of all time arrived on PS2

Can we please stop having dick suck threads for everyone'ss favorite fighting games? VF4:EVO's port is really no better than any other 3D fighter's port from the same era. They all had tons of content & were either perfect ports or improved ports from the arcade version.

Was it so hard to just not click the thread?

VF4 Evo was the first fighting game that made an honest attempt at teaching you how to play it, and that's worth more than a thousand terrible story cutscenes and gimmick modes.

I agree 100%. VF4 Evo is such an excellent game.

Better to add a feature like VF4 Evo's Quest Mode to SF V instead of some insipid story mode, ala MK.

butzopower

proud of his butz
It's funny, pretty sure I bought this back in 2004 or something for $10 at Blockbuster and remember playing the quest mode and a bunch of the training. I played an incredible amount of the VF5 demo as well.

Jawmuncher

I was gonna say something about the anniversary (firm believer in celebrating by 5). But then saw this was about Virtua Fighter so it's all good. Loved this game.

gelf

You know whats sad, a quest mode like this game had would never happen now because the stuff you unlock in it would be held back for DLC. I mean I'd still play the mode just for the ranking up and fighting quality AI without those costume unlocks but it would be missing something.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I have been following Virtua Fighter ever since playing VF2 on the Saturn. My absolute favorite series. Evolution was a definite content high point. It was also the first virtua fighter to come out after I moved out of my home, and I couldn't play with my family all the time like I used too, which was a little sad.

However it was fun unlocking outfits and then going back home every few months and comparing out new designs.

Virtua Fighter is a sad series, everyone claims they love it, but when it comes down to it, no one buys them.

The greatest fighting game of all time! To this day I wish a fighting game had a campaign as good as quest mode in this game. VF4 Evo has yet to be topped.

Malice215

13 years ago I played this at a bar in Okinawa and fell in love with it. Wish 5FS offered what 4EVO has in terms of single player content because 5FS is amazing.

What's sad that we may never see another fighter that offers as much as VF4EVO does.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I forgot about the in-game glossary which defines terminology used in the various modes.

off screen cell phone pic :p

6DCYk1Dh.jpg

This was a fantastic game.

I never liked fighting games, but I played a TON of this game.

Thanks for the memories, literally forgot this game existed. The Quest mode was pretty awesome!

Was it so hard to just not click the thread?

How is this even a retort to what I said? Threads like these are a waste of space IMO that take up room in the GD on GAF. That's why I don't like them. They serve no purpose other than to gloat about & praise the OP's favorite game. Take it to the OT or the FGC Discussion thread, we've had too many topics like this.

How is this even a retort to what I said? Threads like these are a waste of space IMO that take up room in the GD on GAF. That's why I don't like them. They serve no purpose other than to gloat about & praise the OP's favorite game. Take it to the OT or the FGC Discussion thread, we've had too many topics like this.

I, for one, am very grateful for the OP; I had a blast reading it.

You could just PM a mod if it's so frustrating to you.

I know it's hard with all these threads forcing you to click on them, but take it slow and you can do it, child. *pat pat*

Wow OP you've been reading my mind or something.

The other day enjoying the SF5 discussion on Gaf I just thought back about this game and how it was the pinnacle for me.

SP Quest mode was the best SP mode in any fighting game I played and the core fighting mechanics remain the benchmark for 3D fighters imo. Characters are so cool too.. You can play like a total bad-ass with any of the line-up because it's so supremely balanced and well designed. Lei, Akira and Goh are god-like characters too.

oneida

how is the discussion of a game a waste of space in gaming discussion?

Jaeger

Thank you for reminding me to pick this up again. This game is fantastic. Truly one of the PS2 GEMS that everyone needs to own.

I wish there was a way to play with people because none of my human friends like VF. :(

MikeMyers

I am arguing that there is no better arcade->console port than VF4EVO on any console.

In terms of content, I would agree.

But from a technical standpoint VF2 Saturn is king. Sure, it wasn't arcade perfect, but given how much inferior the Saturn was to Model 2, it was amazing AM2 gave us such a solid conversation.

VF4 EVO is just one of many reasons why I believe that Sega never gets enough credit.
Aside from being a phenomenal game on its own, Sega went above and beyond to deliver an astonishing port.

Bgamer90

Banned
Such a fantastic game. Spent over 100 hours playing this on my PS2 more than likely. So much single player content too.

rugioh

Banned
Ah, back when Vanessa Lewis was black. Great game, wish that Street Fighter offered some kind of player card customization like VF with costumes.

Mbrill82

Yes! This port is so good. I still play it sometimes. Also it's one of the main reasons I still keep a PS2 HRAP around. This and a couple excellent JP fighters like Melty Blood and Hokotu no Ken

oneida

Ah, back when Vanessa Lewis was black. Great game, wish that Street Fighter offered some kind of player card customization like VF with costumes.
they sorta tried with sfxt... but it was more like KOF color swaps with a dash of horror

Gitaroo

Tekken Tag, soul calibur 1, tekken 5 ps3, were all superior than their arcade version. Lots of DC ports are also as good as their arcade versions but packs with more contents. VF4 Evo was downgraded graphically compare to naomi 2. Tekken Tag was the only fighiting game port on the PS2 that was vastly superior to the arcade version.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
VF4 EVO is just one of many reasons why I believe that Sega never gets enough credit.
Aside from being a phenomenal game on its own, Sega went above and beyond to deliver an astonishing port.
Ya an this was during their early post-DC years where they stumbled quite abit in game quality! Just months later they released Sonic Heroes... x.x

jett

D-Member
Agreed with your assessment. Just a top notch package all around filled to the brim with content. Def the best console fighter port of all-time.

VF4 Evo is the best home fighting game ever (and VF5 is close behind).

The problem with VF4 Evo's Quest Mode and customization appeal is that DLC has killed it from ever becoming a reality again. Instead of the lengthy satisfaction of winning and unlocking more and more items, you'll just need to buy them for $$ in a pack and then you have them all and that's it.

There's been good cases of DLC out there so I'm not gonna hate on all DLC, but DLC has killed fighting game customization which is really depressing.

Yes, it's a real shame. Look at SFV. Launches with an meager amount of content, has bonus costumes on the disc, and yet they're still gatekept behind a future store that isn't even available now. Sometimes I feel like the current state of this industry is just fucking shit.

I had VF2 on Sega Saturn, which I really liked. I didn't play it seriously of course but it was fun. I didn't appreciate VF5 though - how likely is it I enjoy this entry? This thread is making me want to pick it up.

What's so great about Third Strike's port?

For one, doesn't almost every version suffer from inaccuracies such as having the wrong parry timing?

Also, in terms of content, every 3S port is definitely lacking.

jett

D-Member
What's so great about Third Strike's port?

For one, doesn't almost every version suffer from inaccuracies such as having the wrong parry timing?

Also, in terms of content, every 3S port is definitely lacking.

Some people aren't even skimming the OP.

Renekton

The Tekken 5 port on PS2 is better technically, to the point T6 on PS360 didn't generate that many "holy sht nextgen" reactions.

The Tekken 5 port on PS2 is better technically, to the point T6 on PS360 didn't generate that many "holy sht nextgen" reactions.

Eh.
Arcade Tekken 5 was developed on Namco's System 256, a board that's based on PS2 hardware (IIRC it's a bit more powerful than the console). It looks great, but it's not exactly a significant achievement.

I will say though that it still blew me away more than T6 did, but that could be attributed to T6's godawful art-direction and focus on the garbage Tekken Force mode.

Top Bottom