• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

If the update is so big because of possible assets being replaced, does the 13GB add to the current size of DR3, or are they less than the sum of their parts?

Apparently it only adds 1.5gb to the current size, according to a post earlier in the thread. (On mobile so can't search for it)

sangreal

I do think there is a setting in settings to not auto download anything. I could be wrong.

oIidl6n.png

Think it just tacks on 1.5GB to the total fe size, so it's kinda rediculous you can't just download the 1.5gb patch and instead have to redone load the whole game file.

jvm

Gamasutra.
My personal "favourite" was Eye Of Judgment. Painful, especially in the old days of fairly crappy internets here.
Speaking of bad update/install experiences for PS games? Try Hot Shots Golf: World Tour or PAIN. Those were the bad old days.

While I can't imagine any plausible explanation for using 13GB for an update than a horribly ineffective structure of the application or some really fundamental problem that requires a clean sweep, I do find it hilarious that people in a gaming forum on the internet are worried that 13GB kills their download cap.

If you have Rogers Internet Lite in Canada, you get 20GB per month. Even the high end internet from Rogers is only 120GB per month.

BWJinxing

Im lucky and top out around 120 Mbps, but in the past when it was 50 Mbps, I never got anything from xbl at at 50 Mbps. It always felt like a 1 MB/sec (roughly 10 Mbps) dl speed

Has the download speed improved on xbone live?

RulkezX

Love it, phoned the wife earlier to ask her to turn on the Xo and put it into standby so the patch would be downloaded when I got home. Well she didn't know the voice command so just left it turned on suspecting it would do whatever it was I wanted anyway......except it didn't.

It's downloaded a KI patch and some of a Forza update, but wouldn't even start the DR3 update until I put the disc in.

francis-rage-o.gif

Just started the update and it said 50% done already hmm

Would be interesting if someone were to run a check on exactly how much data is downloaded...

Maybe the update is 13GB only if you haven't retrieved the previous patch already ? That would fit with 6GB ~= 50% of 13GB.

Good catch.

Nope.

It starts at 50% regardless. Every single patch so Xbox games so far has displayed a % complete > 0 when you start patching, it's something to do with the size of the complete install, not the % of the patch that has been downloaded.

Rey

Came home from work and checked the Xbox and i saw a notification for Dead Rising 3. The patch was downloaded and installed while in sleep mode. Total size is 24.8Gb. So everything is fine for me. I have the digital version of DR3.

FStop7

Banned
Wow. Biggest update I can ever recall downloading is 12+ gigs for the Witcher 2 on PC, which was all of the Enhanced Edition content, etc.

BigDug13

So patches for disc-based games won't download unless the disc is in the drive? What possible reason could there be for that limitation?

BigDug13

no it downloads but takes about 10 secs to finalize it when you put the disk in. I just did it.

I was going off this:

Love it, phoned the wife earlier to ask her to turn on the Xo and put it into standby so the patch would be downloaded when I got home. Well she didn't know the voice command so just left it turned on suspecting it would do whatever it was I wanted anyway......except it didn't.

It's downloaded a KI patch and some of a Forza update, but wouldn't even start the DR3 update until I put the disc in.

francis-rage-o.gif

Nope.

It starts at 50% regardless. Every single patch so Xbox games so far has displayed a % complete > 0 when you start patching, it's something to do with the size of the complete install, not the % of the patch that has been downloaded.

RulkezX

no it downloads but takes about 10 secs to finalize it when you put the disk in. I just did it.

My console has been on since 12pm UK today , the console downloaded patches for KI and Forza, but didn't start downloading the patch for DR until I inserted the disc into the drive.

Omni

13GB? That's ridiculous.

Looks like I won't be buying this game when I get my Xbone on the 10th. Damn Internet caps.

While I can't imagine any plausible explanation for using 13GB for an update than a horribly ineffective structure of the application or some really fundamental problem that requires a clean sweep, I do find it hilarious that people in a gaming forum on the internet are worried that 13GB kills their download cap.
You're clearly not Canadian.

shandy706

I highly recommend reading that link.

Here are the bulletpoints from the end...go read the interview too though.

1. Content for DLC episodes 3 and 4 added as part of this CU.
2. Various Stability Fixes.
3. Various Performance Improvements.
4. Online Stability improvements.
5. Added a progress bar to main menu while installer is running.
6. Fixed an issue which could allow the user to overwrite their save file during streaming install while the game is booted.
7. Fix for missing English VUI command in Multiplayer menu.
8. Some improvements to item pickups.
9. Fixed a reproducible issue where the player could get out of the world.
10. Fixed an issue where music wasn’t present during the streaming install.
11. Fixed some mission scripting issues.
12. Fixed an issue which could cause some co-op players to not progress blueprint collection achievements correctly.
13. Fixed an issue where the UI was not updating properly.
14. Fixed an issue which caused glass textures to appear low-res.
15. Fixed an issue which could cause shadows to render incorrectly.
16. Fixed a texture issue with the Golden SledgeSaw weapon.
17. SmartGlass stability fix.

Pinbot

Banned
Disgraceful.

Why should I download 15gb of the dlc if I don't want to play it! I'm Australian and I have great internet for this country; 7mpbs and a 200gb cap, but this is a joke!

Disgraceful.

Why should I download 15gb of the dlc if I don't want to play it! I'm Australian and I have great internet for this country; 7mpbs and a 200gb cap, but this is a joke!

It's not 15gb of DLC. It replaces a lot of content on the hard drive already. The download is pretty big, though....

Omni

Disgraceful.

My internet is pretty decent
3246154855.png

but I only have a 15gb a month limit. If I wanted to download this patch, I'd have nothing left. :lol

They improved the impulse trigger support. Added some stuff.

Ah, okay. That's cool, I guess. Will check it out when the patch finishes downloading/installing...

Shouldn't take too long with my connection.

Thank the heavens for no data cap or traffic shaping. It's currently maxing out my connection...

Skeff

So let's clarify, when a new owner put's DR3 into their system, with the current XB1 installation system, it would download this 13gb patch before installing correct?

If that's true they need to change something.

So let's clarify, when a new owner put's DR3 into their system, with the current XB1 installation system, it would download this 13gb patch before installing correct?

If that's true they need to change something.

I'm not sure about this. I was able to start playing a new game after 20% into this new patch. Existing saves didn't work until the patch was complete, though. I think 2-3GB of downloading the patch may actually get you started.

swcpig

Banned
That screen shot looks much better. I have this game but haven't fired it up yet - anyone able to comment on the stability improvements or any visual improvements? Someone mentioned zombie bodies hang around longer/more.

Skeff

I'm not sure about this. I was able to start playing a new game after 20% into this new patch. Existing saves didn't work until the patch was complete, though. I think 2-3GB of downloading the patch may actually get you started.

Well I Guess that's better, but still a little disapointing, hope they sort it before I pick up my XB1.

Top Bottom