• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

pixlexic

Banned
My console has been on since 12pm UK today , the console downloaded patches for KI and Forza, but didn't start downloading the patch for DR until I inserted the disc into the drive.

that sucks mine was downloaded a ready when I came home from work today.
I have the disk version as well.

Aces&Eights

It's really weird how all Xbox owners seem to have crappy internet connections, but PlayStation owners have the best connections going.

Big patches appear for Xbox games "oh my god, what are they thinking. There goes my monthly cap..etc etc"

PSN+ has free games every month (some of which are huge) "PS+ is the best service ever, I love it"

Bandwidth and game download sizes never seem to get bitched about in the PSN thread.

Well, for me, I think the difference is obvious. A mandatory 13gb patch that is mostly dlc is required for people who are not even buying the dlc vs. a free, AAA game that is being offered to people who choose to download it. One is mandatory and most will not even use it, the other is a free game that you can choose to decline.

Gestault

To my taste, that's a goshdarned problem. If they want to make a content patch that's an optional install, cool, fine. Whatever. But the core updates should NOT be banking that size. Not ready for next-gen, apparently. I'll be playing Doom II on my 386 from 19 floppy disks. When game sizes were still reasonable.

Edit: Oh. This sort of makes a difference. Less bad, still not ideal?

Or you can pay an extra $10 per month and get unlimited bandwidth like I did last year in anticipation of the X1/PS4.

There is no unlimited offered by Rogers currently. Not sure what deal you got/when you got it. The $10 above the 120gb is only 150gb a month. Mind you thats $78+tax. The next level up, which is 1TB, is $126+tax.

bananas

Banned
Just turned on my Xbox One and the update was already installed. I have the digital version of DR3, so I guess it since I didn't need to put in a disc it automatically installs?

If you have digital version it will auto install.

If you have disc version and auto updates turned off you will need to enter disc for prompt to download the update.

If you have disc version and auto updates on, it should background download the update and will install when you insert disc.

I've had ryse, BF4 and now dead rising all update automatically, with disc versions.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So....is this MS's plan to offer actual games as updates? Because at that size it could actually be a whole game.

That would be game changing....instead of getting the 2015 version of a sports game just get an update. Instead of getting a sequel get an update.

NuKERxyz

If you have digital version it will auto install.

If you have disc version and auto updates turned off you will need to enter disc for prompt to download the update.

If you have disc version and auto updates on, it should background download the update and will install when you insert disc.

I've had ryse, BF4 and now dead rising all update automatically, with disc versions.

This happened to me, so i can confirm it too.

shandy706

So....is this MS's plan to offer actual games as updates? Because at that size it could actually be a whole game.

That would be game changing....instead of getting the 2015 version of a sports game just get an update. Instead of getting a sequel get an update.

EA says no-way.

Have to get those yearly $60 sales.

First google result when I searced "rogers unlimited internet"

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/unlimitedinternet

Okay, so I guess they are advertising unlimited internet now. That being said, I will never ever trust anything Rogers calls unlimited... Here's what it says on their site.

*Offer available for a limited time on our Ultimate Fibre, Ultimate, Extreme Plus, Extreme, and Express packages and is subject to change without notice

Note that years ago (maybe 5) I used to have something called Rogers Unlimited Internet. Then they ended up putting a cap on it without any notification. And the cap was wishy-washy because they never told you what the maximum usage was. They would just use vague terms. In fact, I think we ended up banned because we went over whatever their limit was a few months in a row. My brother worked for Rogers at the time so he got it reinstated.

And anyway not sure why anyone would use Rogers when there are so many third party ISPs that are able to use Rogers/Bell's lines due to Canadian law and are much cheaper and more trustworthy in my experience (such as Teksavvy).

Artex

Banned

RXW1dCl.gif

Prezhulio

I ve been playing some and the first thing i notice was the impulse trigger addition and the improved frame rate. Also things like reflections have been tweak for the better it seems.

still has the awful sharpening filter.

What has changed with the impulse triggers? That was always there for me...

RdN

It's completely absurd.

I was the first to post this on the OT yesterday.. I wanted to play a quick online coop with a friend before bed.. And got prompted for it.

Fast updates were one of the Xbox 360 strongest points. MS completely fucked this one.

abracadaver

It's completely absurd.

I was the first to post this on the OT yesterday.. I wanted to play a quick online coop with a friend before bed.. And got prompted for it.

Fast updates were one of the Xbox 360 strongest points. MS completely fucked this one.

I rather have big updates that improve the game than just tiny downloads that just fix bugs. I will gladly download the 13GB for the improved framerate and effects.

It was bad timing though. They should have announced this in advance so that people can prepare and download the update before they want to play.

That's all kinds of messed up, a patch with the same file size as a full fledged game?, and its mandatory if you wish to play while connected to the internet?, what are these guys on?

CCIE

Banned
Wow... I just downloaded the whole Puppeteer game at half the size of that "patch". Outside the US this is going to be a huge problem

Ganondolf

this is pretty disgraceful, some people like myself like buying games on disc only. I already have to put up with 1-3 hundred mb on ps3 and if ps4 and xb1 is going to have silly size updates I will not be happy. although I have unlimited data I have a max speed of 8mb and 4 people in the house using the net.

I don't want to buy a game on disk and have to wait days to update it.

Dabanton

Wow... I just downloaded the whole Puppeteer game at half the size of that "patch". Outside the US this is going to be a huge problem

Speaking as someone in the UK my internet ate that DL up. Was done quickly, of course I have no cap.I simply cant get my head around paltry deals like a 15gig cap for the month which seems to be offered in other countries.

TheGrue

So where on the XBO can I see that I downloaded a patch? I just turned my system on and didn't see a notification or anything. Popped the DR3 disc in and it popped up with a notification that the Installation was starting and then a couple seconds later popped one to say it was ready for launch. That must mean I had downloaded the 13 GB already, but how would I know that?

swcpig

Banned
Speaking as someone in the UK my internet ate that DL up. Was done quickly, of course I have no cap.I simply cant get my head around paltry deals like a 15gig cap for the month which seems to be offered in other countries.

Yeah, me neither. I'm in the USA and think I have a "soft cap" at 200GB - and I am certainly I smash into it every month come mid/late month. Just throttles things down a bit - but I also have 4 kids and that's a lot of netflix happening (and im cable cut so hulu/netflix/et al).

I dunno - I always pay the most I can for the best possible internet anywhere and everywhere I live. It's part my job (in real life) but also life without the best possible internet is just... i dunno, living in the dark. Internet capacity is a question on my checklist when I move somewhere :)

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
There is no unlimited offered by Rogers currently. Not sure what deal you got/when you got it. The $10 above the 120gb is only 150gb a month. Mind you thats $78+tax. The next level up, which is 1TB, is $126+tax.

I have unlimited with Rogers but it's business internet. I pay $80 for 60Mb.

Recall

I too live in the UK and the best I'm able to get in my area is 5mb down, 0.5 up. I too have no data cap. It's not me being tight fisted its that that is the maximum available, there is no choice.

Would be nice if high speed Internet was something available to everyone but it is not.

Once again they advertise DLC to be released on a set date and it hasn't appeared. I lost count how many times this happened on 360 with DLC and demos. Is it really that difficult to put a piece of content on the store the day it's advertised ? Fuck sake

Top Bottom