• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

18 minutes of new Final Fantasy 16 gameplay has been published

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
5vQ5.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Soooo hyped!
Yeah Zelda: TotK, as soon as this drops I'll have to put you on standby, sorry.
I finish 4 temples so I think one more left, I will try my hardest to finish before FFXVI comes out, if not I will jump between the two.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I got tired while watching the gameplay of a game for the first time. The enemies just won't die. It saddens me to see only a handful of people concerned about the new direction of Final Fantasy. I don't understand what sets it apart from an ordinary action game, besides the boring combat.

Jesus there's so much going on on the screen o_O, also these camera movements during combos and dashes
Cat Please GIF

Too exhausting for me to just watch a few minutes, also these Ironblood Fanatics are tankier than Ruby Weapon :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Music on this game can't get more epic tho, and story might be good, but yea, watching cutscenes on youtube looks healthier for my eyes than playing it

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Gameplays looks good but a little bit boring to me maybe but I want it to succeeds because we must support Japanese developers my friends

christ! just a couple minutes of that deep-throated grunting/roaring was enough for me. really hope there's an option to tone that down, or i'm afraid i'm out. it's just seriously obnoxious. hours & hours of it? fuggedaboudit...

Pejo

The combat feels.... slow or clunky or something. I dunno. Still not sold on it after this footage. Also the hits feel like they have no weight and there is a visual mess all around the screen. I assume it's easier to understand what's going on when you're the one controlling it, but it just looks like a big flashy weightless mess.

Visually, the particle effects/lighting/textures look fantastic though.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
The combat feels.... slow or clunky or something. I dunno. Still not sold on it after this footage. Also the hits feel like they have no weight and there is a visual mess all around the screen. I assume it's easier to understand what's going on when you're the one controlling it, but it just looks like a big flashy weightless mess.

Visually, the particle effects/lighting/textures look fantastic though.
I don'ts think slow and clunky no weight though its more like DMC I tinks popularity is more with weight

Nydius

Ugh.. Sorry, just not that interested in a combat system of overly tanky massive health bare enemies where you have to wail on them for minutes on end just to get their stagger bar filled in order to finally begin doing meaningful damage to them. Only for the stagger bar timer to run out and you're back at square one. That shit is so overplayed and tiresome.

That said, the game looks smooth as silk and graphically looks pretty fantastic.
The combat system just kills the entire thing for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
People hating because of the battle system…some of these dummies are going to miss out on an amazing experience because of it too.
I can play Punishing: Gray Raven for free though on my phone.

And the big name Youtubers and streamers will have a cutscene movie out for me to watch on the day of release.

Like I can't deny it looks cool but the story doesn't seem that compelling to me. And Clive looks like Dragón Age 2 protag mixed with Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria who will probably be leagues better then Clive will be.

My bet is that the doggo will be the best character in the game.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Ugh.. Sorry, just not that interested in a combat system of overly tanky massive health bare enemies where you have to wail on them for minutes on end just to get their stagger bar filled in order to finally begin doing meaningful damage to them. Only for the stagger bar timer to run out and you're back at square one. That shit is so overplayed and tiresome.

That said, the game looks smooth as silk and graphically looks pretty fantastic.
The combat system just kills the entire thing for me.

That's why they made those accessories so you can just auto-win all the fights by tapping a single button on the controller with one hand while you browse your phone during the load bars in combat!

Anyone can cook play!

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Who do they always let lousy players demonstrate the games?
Yes! I swear I was thinking the same thing. This happens all the damn time, and it’s strange lol. Idk, maybe it’s because they spend a good portion of their time developing games and not really getting a good opportunity to play them.

Minsc

Gold Member
Very disappointed the video is not 60fps performance mode. Thing is almost unwatchable to me, all I can think about is how bad the motion looks in it, how does anyone play 3D games like that at those low framerates I have no clue.

Well, a few more weeks until I can see it running properly myself.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I think in general, this is the realistic expectation.

But i have issues....personal issues with Square Enix.
I hear you…normally I would have brushed off your comment if it was 95% of the other posters on Gaf, but you’ve always been respectful to me on here, so it’s only right I hear you out. So you say you have personal issues with Square Enix, what’s that about?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I can play Punishing: Gray Raven for free though on my phone.

And the big name Youtubers and streamers will have a cutscene movie out for me to watch on the day of release.

Like I can't deny it looks cool but the story doesn't seem that compelling to me. And Clive looks like Dragón Age 2 protag mixed with Velvet Crowe from Tales of Berseria who will probably be leagues better then Clive will be.

My bet is that the doggo will be the best character in the game.
You honestly lost me at playing games on a phone…right there, with that comment, you lose any kind of credibility with your response.

You can reach, or you can reallyyyyy reach.

Last edited:

Pejo

I don'ts think slow and clunky no weight though its more like DMC I tinks popularity is more with weight
I'm comparing it to something like Bayonetta. Obviously the enemies are more floaty in that game since it begs you to air combo, but look at the various ways the enemy reacts to getting hit. Getting slapped sideways, flipped upside down, pushed back etc. Like the hits have actual momentum and force:

When you do big hits in this game, the enemies like the Fanatics seem to just have tiny hitstuns and continue their attacks. It doesn't match the force of what you're doing on the screen. Even the smaller enemies just kinda float upward and mostly stay in place until they die and melt into mist. Big splashes or stuns or better hit reactions are needed, IMO. I understand super armor and giving the enemies the ability to attack even against an onslaught by the player, but combat makes it feel like you're just swinging air around.

Also, Stagger mechanic is shit and should be erased from FF. It's been terrible ever since it's been implemented. Or they could change it to skill based instead of just wailing on an enemy until you can actually "really damage" the enemy. Like if counters or parries did extra stagger damage or a charged hit that leaves you completely vulnerable would take the stagger down 100%. That way it encourages the player to plan strategically or improve their skills to get better/faster kills.

Kurotri

My hype for this FF has surpassed the heavens, but I find it funny how this is reaching Deathloop levels of marketing. Feels like they have new gameplay footage every week.

Lokaum D+

I got tired while watching the gameplay of a game for the first time. The enemies just won't die. It saddens me to see only a handful of people concerned about the new direction of Final Fantasy. I don't understand what sets it apart from an ordinary action game, besides the boring combat.
boring combat, says the person with a avatar of sekiro, a game that u just need to deflect and attack

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
There is essentially one attack button and the rest of the attacks are based off what you got in your access wheel or whatever that’s called. It looks fun. Maximilian said in a video about what he played was a little lacking in terms of content, but fun combat. It sounds like he has a lot of Dante’s BNB from DMC.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This direction Square Enix is taking this series must be a young person thing, and I just don’t get it. I really hope the rumored FF9 remake isn’t just another action rpg.

They're not wrong about turn based games not having a mass market appeal like they used to before, I agree with them on that part.

However, what they've shown of the game so far, it's way closer to a straight up character action game like DMC than what you'd think of as an ARPG like Kingdom Hearts or even Crisis Core.

Top Bottom