• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

19-yr Old Student charged with sex assault after re-enacting 50 Shades of Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a contributing factor too (if its true he was repressed). I like how quick GAF is to label the guy a monster. This is why we have such a high prison population.

I don't know how his sexual repression lead him to going tribal on this woman. Myself personally, I wouldn't label him as being a "monster", I'd just settle on "moronic asswipe" instead.

Even though I dislike the whole concept of the movie/books, the film can't be blamed for human mistakes.

Blaming 50 shades for this is both ironic and hypocritical considering we are the same people who (rightfully) reject the idea of videogames influencing violent behavior.
Exactly.

So weird to see gamer culture want to censor something for possible media effects when we've been fighting this battle for the last two decades.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Probably a contributing factor too (if its true he was repressed). I like how quick GAF is to label the guy a monster. This is why we have such a high prison population.

What else do you call a person of his age who commits this type of sexual assault in the fashion he did. So what if it was a contributing factor I'm sick of people not making people like this own to the fact that he went out and did this without thinking about it and just wanted to see his fantasy play out.

The prison population problem has nothing to do with this either.

Paskil

I like the part where he was shocked when bail was set at $500,000. Like he still didn't realize what he did was a horrendous and monstrous thing. Should not allow bail for rape like this.

Hard to use a safeword with a necktie stuffed in your mouth.

This is when you have the submissive hold an item in their hand, typically a ball. Upon releasing the item they are saying to stop even when gagged.

Not that I would expect the rapist in the article to understand that.

I don't think that this has anything to do with BDSM. This dude clearly has some issues.

It definitely is not BDSM, at least not that which is practiced by respected members of the BDSM community. Safe, Sane, and Consensual are requirements.

The guy is a psycho.

And the American bail system is insane.

He gets 500,000, and I just read about a guy who was drunk and high and killed two people by doing 109mph in a 25mph zone.

His bail was $40,000

Except no one did just that?
Not yet, but it'll get there if the thread lasts much longer. He might as well be socially anyway.

EDIT: Yup, we've escalated to psyco.

What? No it's not.
I would certainly argue that our habit of overreacting to acts of violence and permanently labeling people as irredeemable offenders of our sensibilities is absolutely a contributing factor to overly harsh prison sentences, shitty conditions within prisons, and our high recidivism rate. Incarceration should be about protecting the public from further harm, education, and rehabilitation. Our prison system for the most part is about a display of public vengeance- much of which stems from a history of racism.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
"But they did it in a movie, so it was alright?"

I want my DOOM back society, please and thank you.

BDSM isn't cool when the other person doesn't want to understand it. In this case.. it wasn't "hot".

What a moron. You don't force something on someone especially if it involves beating and whipping. AT ALL PERIOD

I would make my partner sign something and I'd video tape it. The signature, etc, etc. before I did any torture stuff.

FStop7

Banned
Exactly.

So weird to see gamer culture want to censor something for possible media effects when we've been fighting this battle for the last two decades.

A "culture" largely commanded by emotionally and sexually stunted manbabies lashing out at something to do with sex? Not that weird.

The offender in the article sounds like a vile person. But blaming his acts on FSOG just as dishonest as blaming CoD for a school shooting.

What else do you call a person of his age who commits this type of sexual assault in the fashion he did. So what if it was a contributing factor I'm sick of people not making people like this own to the fact that he went out and did this without thinking about it and just wanted to see his fantasy play out.

The prison population problem has nothing to do with this either.
A 19 year old that committed rape. I think even the term "rapist" is inappropriate as it suggests that the person is irredeemable from the act. Progressives hate the fact conservatives use the term "illegals" to describe "undocumented immigrants," but we leap at the chance to describe people that commit crimes that intersect with our agenda items as a term that is linked to the crime itself- as though though the person is forever prone to commit it.

EDIT: Exhibit A:
Northeastmonk said:
We're calling this guy a gamer? I thought he was a criminal?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A "culture" largely commanded by emotionally and sexually stunted manbabies lashing out at something to do with sex? Not that weird .

We're calling this guy a gamer? I thought he was a criminal?

I think it's human first, their actions, then maybe somewhere down the road look at their hobbies. There are a million people playing M rated games regardless if it has nudity or some sort form of sexuality to it.

This guy could of been fapping to DoA5, but he committed a crime instead. He could of put all his ideas into leveling his WoW character, but he chose a crime.

The difference between 50 Shades of Grey and sexual assault is whether or not you're a billionaire.

Joke aside, I don't see how this idiot thought what he was doing was remotely a good idea.

Patapwn

I think the police description is definitely biased. I don't trust police to act mannerly in sex crime accusations for a number of reasons and I'm sure the guy has another side of the story that should be weighed before jumping the gun like a frothing idiot as some are guilty of.

That being said, there's no question that bounds were overstepped and the girl felt violated. How that squares with his detailing of events remains to be seen. I mean, I don't think he went into this BDSM situation thinking "I'm going to rape this bitch" but who knows at this point

Ekdrm2d1

The guy is a psycho.

And the American bail system is insane.

He gets 500,000, and I just read about a guy who was drunk and high and killed two people by doing 109mph in a 25mph zone.

His bail was $40,000

gsWJt4v.jpg

Stet

Banned
It definitely is not BDSM, at least not that which is practiced by respected members of the BDSM community. Safe, Sane, and Consensual are requirements.

Part of the criticism of 50 Shades is the fact that it completely avoids discussion of consent, though.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
not to say that BDSM can't involve punching at all, but it's pretty rare (I've never heard of it happening), and it's definitely a different degree of sadomasochism taking place than whipping.
Not a whole lot of Mayweather vs Pacquiao role playing scenes that end with sweet lovin'. Closest thing to that was the end of Rocky III and then they spoiled the magic with the beginning of IV. Besides, it's hard to convince the guy at the gym to let you fuck in his ring. Then again, I've known some pervert gym owners who might take you up on the chance to be the Ring King.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Part of the criticism of 50 Shades is the fact that it completely avoids discussion of consent, though.

You can't slap women on the butt is what you're saying. The idea of men acting on sexual impulses because she gives you "the eye" is made up.

You have to be in agreement before hands or motifs are applied in any situation.

leadbelly

Banned
Terrible if true. I am going to wait until the facts of the case come out and whether the defendant is found guilty before really commenting though.

The defence lawyer
"Sandra, how can someone involved in all that let a movie persuade him to do something like this?" asked Judge Adam Bourgeois Jr.

"He would say that it was consensual," she replied.

Everything else comes from the prosecution lawyer.

Stet

Banned
You can't slap women on the butt is what you're saying. The idea of men acting on sexual impulses because she gives you "the eye" is made up.

You have to be in agreement before hands or motifs are applied in any situation.

Yes. 50 Shades has no mention of agreement beforehand. That's why it's criticized by some in the BDSM community as well.

A "culture" largely commanded by emotionally and sexually stunted manbabies lashing out at something to do with sex? Not that weird.

The offender in the article sounds like a vile person. But blaming his acts on FSOG just as dishonest as blaming CoD for a school shooting.
True, we're dealing with manbabies. I shouldn't be surprised.

But fuck, the amount of cognitive dissonance going on here hurts my brain.

stupei

The books romanticize a textbook abusive relationship.

She tells him repeatedly that she is not interested in sex on his terms and does not want to sign his contract. He says she's wrong and doesn't know what she wants and he'll prove it to her. He threatens to track her phone (and then does). When she tries to break up with him, he shows up at her place and makes it clear he's going to have sex with her whether she wants it or not. She thinks of him as a stalker several times and refers to what he seems to think is consensual BDSM playtime as "beatings."

50 Shades isn't fully responsible for a lot of people having enormously fucked up ideas about consent, obviously, but it's part of the very large cultural problem. Including the idea that it's somehow romantic for a woman to sacrifice her own emotional and physical well-being to love a man into being "better."

Prison terms for sex crimes are generally quite short, if they're served at all. We have a high prison population because of the way drug laws work.

Yes. 50 Shades has no mention of agreement beforehand. That's why it's criticized by some in the BDSM community as well.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. They do discuss consent and he drafts up a contract where she would agree and consent.

And then she says she does not want to and he does these things to her anyway. It's bizarre. Consent is discussed and then totally sidestepped in a way that almost suggests, "Well ask her, of course, but then don't wait to hear her answer."

The books romanticize a textbook abusive relationship.

She tells him repeatedly that she is not interested in sex on his terms and does not want to sign his contract. He says she's wrong and doesn't know what she wants and he'll prove it to her. He threatens to track her phone (and then does). When she tries to break up with him, he shows up at her place and makes it clear he's going to have sex with her whether she wants it or not. She thinks of him as a stalker several times and refers to what he seems to think is consensual BDSM playtime as "beatings."

50 Shades isn't fully responsible for a lot of people having enormously fucked up ideas about consent, obviously, but it's part of the very large cultural problem. Including the idea that it's somehow romantic for a woman to sacrifice her own emotional and physical well-being to love a man into being "better."

Prison terms for sex crimes are generally quite short, if they're served at all. We have a high prison population because of the way drug laws work.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. They do discuss consent and he drafts up a contract where she would agree and consent.

And then she says she does not want to and he does these things to her anyway. It's bizarre. Consent is discussed and then totally sidestepped in a way that almost suggests, "Well ask her, of course, but then don't wait to hear her answer."
Modern Warfare 2 pushed me into slaughtering an airport of innocent people. Digitally.

Which is a criticism I agree with (at least for the book - no plans of seeing the film). 50 shades is not a tale that the BDSM community would accept.

Kinyou

There entire second half of the movie is Christian
telling her to do her homework on BDSM (it shows her doing a bunch of google searches) and to strike out any portions of the sexual submissive contract he writes up that she doesn't feel comfortable with. They then have a sit down meeting (like a 10 min scene) in his office where they go over the particulars, with him explaining things to her in detail if she's confused, and him acknowledging/accepting the things she isn't comfortable with. In fact, in the scene I mentioned above, she specifically asks him to do the worst thing that's in the contract (beating her with a belt), just out of sheer curiosity. She resents him for it afterward, but she never tells him to stop.
There has never been a Hollywood movie with this much explicit consent.

I don't know where all this misinformation is coming from. The movie is terrible but it's unfair to misconstrue what the author actually wrote.
Sure sounds more consensual than Blade Runner.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
True, we're dealing with manbabies. I shouldn't be surprised.

But fuck, the amount of cognitive dissonance going on here hurts my brain.

Manbabies who probably wouldn't lay a finger on a weapon. There are more nongamers into weapons. You aren't going to commit a sex crime based on being a sexual person either. You might even be more intimidated by the actual thing.

I know it was completely different for me going into Cabela's and seeing their large selection of guns. I could of pissed myself holding an ARX and that was a gun in CoD. I used it in Ghosts too. I will probably never go back there too. I only went because my co-worker was into the scene.

Coconut

Banned
This is concerning since its a popular movie and doesn't ever show a healthy BDSM relationship moment in the film. I'm concerned that this won't be the last time we hear about something like this. Also it all sounds plausible that he was copying the movie up until he starts hitting her with his fists once she tells him to stop, in the movie the CG never punches Anna when she starts crying.

I like the part where he was shocked when bail was set at $500,000. Like he still didn't realize what he did was a horrendous and monstrous thing. Should not allow bail for rape like this.

I completely agree.

This is concerning since its a popular movie and doesn't ever show a healthy BDSM relationship moment in the film. I'm concerned that this won't be the last time we hear about something like this. Also it all sounds plausible that he was copying the movie up until he starts hitting her with his fists once she tells him to stop, in the movie he never punches her.

It will only get worse as time goes on. This movie is putting one hell of negative influence on those who are especially easily influenced by media and entertainment. We're probably going to see worse things come to light over time.

stupei

Modern Warfare 2 pushed me into slaughtering an airport of innocent people. Digitally.

I'm not sure where I said anything to suggest that, but it's a very interesting choice for a strawman. Not even going to bother with a more recent reference?

Okay.

How about: a lot of people in modern society have a horrible understanding of what constitutes consent. There have been studies that show that as long as you don't use the word "rape," a lot of college-aged men admit that they would do things that negate or avoid a woman's consent. A disturbing number of people don't seem to realize that you cannot knowingly give consent when completely intoxicated.

Consent is something a lot of people don't have a firm handle on in the real world. The fact that shooting innocent civilians in an airport is bad is something most people can agree on. That's what separates reality from fiction in your example. We know it's "bad." The fictional world and our own desires do not align in any tangible way, and so obviously it does not modify or reinforce anything.

But if fiction is in agreement with our own ideals and our understanding of the world, it creates a form of positive reinforcement that reasserts the already present positive associations. If you already think that a woman enjoying sex at all means she should enjoy it on your terms, then the fact that a major motion picture says this as well is a bigger problem than most people's non-existent desire to attack an airport alongside Russian terrorists.

Like I said: 50 Shades of Grey doesn't make someone not understand consent. Obviously.

But the fact that it exists in the way that it does is one more part of the very large problem, and further proof that a problem does exist. I doubt EL James set out to write a series of books in which a woman says "no" repeatedly and is told "I know you want it anyway," but that's exactly what she wrote and sold as a romantic ideal.

Re-reading the article and the arrest report, the charge is for sexual assault, not rape. Don't call him a rapist incorrectly.

There's no mention of penetration, so it can't be constituted as rape.

Additionally, Hussein uses FSOG as his defense plea, but even if the movie shows among others things, a contract is mentioned in the film, according to other Gaffers.

Presumably, if he was emulating the film, they would have some contract written somewhere that would corroborate his story.

It will only get worse as time goes on. This movie is putting one hell of negative influence on those who are especially easily influenced by media and entertainment. We're probably going to see worse things come to light over time.

Do we really need trigger warnings for works of fiction now?

Apath

You're on a forum where we discuss video games where you can brutally kill people. Do you not realize the irony of this statement?
There is a clear factor of differentiation between the two, where no one denies violent video games can be emulated to an extent. Ie. toy guns, sword fighting, etc. What people here argue against is violent video games directly influence people to kill other people, most notably in school shootings.

Someone else mentioned it, but wrestling is a good example (or Jackass for that matter). Something that appears okay to an extent but can be harmful. I don't think anyone would argue that wrestling does not influence people to perform wrestling moves on another, but no one would argue that it makes people run out into the street pile driving strangers.

50 Shades of Grey definitely has an influence on people's sex lives, but I don't think it is an influence on rape. There are varying degrees of influence, just like with violent video games. I think there is a huge difference between people's willingness to emulate adventurous sex practices versus flat out shooting people.

Any type of bdsm begins with two consenting parties. And when it comes to doing it with someone new, you're very direct with your partner (even if you're both already "in the mood") and *ask* if the other would like to go a step further and try things out like tying, whipping, hitting, etc.

You don't just go "herp, let's tie her up and see if she likes it!" If you lack the communication skills to directly ask, then you shouldn't engage in any sort of bdsm. Hopefully this dumb student learns his lesson.

Apath

He raped and beat a woman.

I've seen assault used interchangeably with rape.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the charges here are for the defendant beating the victim while she pleaded for him to stop. I don't see anything about her protesting against anything he did besides harming her.

esms

There is a clear factor of differentiation between the two, where no one denies violent video games can be emulated to an extent. Ie. toy guns, sword fighting, etc. What people here argue against is violent video games directly influence people to kill other people, most notably in school shootings.

Someone else mentioned it, but wrestling is a good example (or Jackass for that matter). Something that appears okay to an extent but can be harmful. I don't think anyone would argue that wrestling does not influence people to perform wrestling moves on another, but no one would argue that it makes people run out into the street pile driving strangers.

50 Shades of Grey definitely has an influence on people's sex lives, but I don't think it is an influence on rape. There are varying degrees of influence, just like with violent video games. I think there is a huge difference between people's willingness to emulate adventurous sex practices versus flat out shooting people.

I would agree. I would also speculate that the varying degrees of media influence over an individual is highly based on their personalities and ages (as mentioned before).

You can't completely absolve these mediums of having some sliver of influence over the people they reach, while you also cannot blame them for being the causes of these acts.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the charges here are for the defendant beating the victim while she pleaded for him to stop. I don't see anything about her protesting against anything he did besides harming her.

Article just says the physical violence plus "sexual assault" which, thanks to the link from the other poster who quoted me, has a very wide range of meanings.

Apath

Article just says the physical violence plus "sexual assault" which, thanks to the link from the other poster who quoted me, has a very wide range of meanings.
Yeah, it's really all speculation at this point. My take away was that it was considered sexual assault because he assaulted her during sexual activity. He would have to be beyond delusional to have his mouth agape if he actually raped her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom