• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

19-yr Old Student charged with sex assault after re-enacting 50 Shades of Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patapwn

It is messy but a question I ask myself in these situations is "what does the accuser have to gain in these situations?" And the answer is going to be is, nothing. So if they gain nothing why lie or make exaggerated statements?
This kind of thinking is absolutely horrific. There's a number of possibilities why someone would later claim that sex was not consensual when it indeed was or at least there was a grey area like intoxication was involved.

I sincerely hope you're never put on a jury

If you are roleplaying and don't have a safe word and/or KNOW the boundaries of your partner, then I guess it sucks for you if you end up punching someone who doesn't want to be punched and get arrested. Plan better next time.

Until the movie dies a timely death in theaters and on DVD, it's better to be safe and not engage in BDSM activities until the popularity dies down.

Jinkies

Difficult to tell in which measure this was honest (extreme) ignorance, using the film as a ploy, and direct assault.

On one hand, this is exactly the kind of mistake I could see an inexperienced and/or sheltered 19-year-old making.

One the other, this is exactly the kind of thing an inexperienced and/or sheltered 19-year-old might feel like they could get away with.

At any point in that book or movie does she ask him to stop and he keeps going? Is there something where there's some heavy BDSM and her inner monologue is going on like , "It hurt and I whimpered no...stop. But really my objection was playing coy" blah blah blah? I can't imagine how there hasn't been major blowback if that is the case. So I imagine it's realized as fully consensual In the book/movie, including the times she feels uncomfortable and wants to stop?

Obviously this guy is completely in the wrong regardless of the story. I just want to figure out if there's inherently dangerous concepts in the book. Other than BDSM of course ;) personally it freaks me out, but if two people are fully consensual and take the right precautions then... yea.

Not sure why you just added this. lol

So like a woman claims she doesn't remember what happened the night before, therefore she was too drunk to consent. You say that at the time she consented and actively engaged in sex.

How do you prove she consented?

You don't see how problematic that is?

Pro-tip: if a girl is so drunk that she won't remember what she said or did the night before, do not engage.

At any point in that book or movie does she ask him to stop and he keeps going? Is there something where there's some heavy BDSM and her inner monologue is going on like , "It hurt and I whimpered no...stop. But really my objection was playing coy" blah blah blah? I can't imagine how there hasn't been major blowback if that is the case. So I imagine it's realized as fully consensual In the book/movie, including the times she feels uncomfortable and wants to stop?

Obviously this guy is completely in the wrong regardless of the story. I just want to figure out if there's inherently dangerous concepts in the book. Other than BDSM of course ;) personally it freaks me out, but if two people are fully consensual and take the right precautions then... yea.

There is no such scene in the movie at least.

Pro-tip: if a girl is so drunk that she won't remember what she said or did the night before, do not engage.

The amount of possible bro responses that dudes make in those sitatuations just popped into my head and made me queasy.

"She looks fine to me, nawm saying, Fiiiine bro. High five."

I didn't think so, but it's good to hear.

Nothing really like that in the book, either. She just holds her tongue because he's repeatedly told her that he needs to be able to hit her if they're going to be able to have a relationship. It doesn't help that she never fully understands the concept of spanking or whipping in a BDSM context and instead continually refers to it as him "beating" her. And the fact that he's constantly describing it as a punishment for making him angry doesn't really do much to frame it in that context anyway.

Basically, it's just a textbook physically abusive relationship with a BDSM sign hung around its neck.

Coconut

Banned
This kind of thinking is absolutely horrific. There's a number of possibilities why someone would later claim that sex was not consensual when it indeed was or at least there was a grey area like intoxication was involved.

I sincerely hope you're never put on a jury

Ernest honest examples of why someone would lie about being raped.

Nothing really like that in the book, either. She just holds her tongue because he's repeatedly told her that he needs to be able to hit her if they're going to be able to have a relationship. It doesn't help that she never fully understands the concept of spanking or whipping in a BDSM context and instead continually refers to it as him "beating" her. And the fact that he's constantly describing it as a punishment for making him angry doesn't really do much to frame it in that context anyway.

Basically, it's just a textbook physically abusive relationship with a BDSM sign hung around its neck.

And it is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Coconut

Banned
Not sure why you just added this. lol

So like a woman claims she doesn't remember what happened the night before, therefore she was too drunk to consent. You say that at the time she consented and actively engaged in sex.

How do you prove she consented?

You don't see how problematic that is?

Having sex with someone who blacked out is a person that can't give consent that is rape my man.

Verelios

That...doesn't sound like a fun book to read. I'd welcome everyone to instead read Nana to Kaoru which gave me a general idea about BDSM, safety, trust, etc. In a good environment. I don't enjoy S&M but I can certainly see ghe appeal.

This kid has problems though. Scary what people do when alone. Why did he think it was a good idea to punch her anyway?

And this is what's supposed to be the book that exposes the world to BDSM?

Fuck.

And it is the straw that breaks the camels back.

Holy crap, no kidding.

And this is what's supposed to be the book that exposes the world to BDSM?

Fuck.

It isn't an instruction manual or a documentary. It is its own narrative with its own lead character who has his compulsions.

Holy crap, no kidding.

She willingly volunteers herself to get "punished" by him as bad as he can give it. She doesn't enjoy it, he seems ultra confused about what he is doing and why and it destroys their relationship.

Coconut

Banned
It isn't an instruction manual or a documentary. It is its own narrative with its own lead character who has his compulsions.

She willingly volunteers herself to get "punished" by him as bad as he can give it. She doesn't enjoy it, he seems ultra confused about what he is doing and why and it destroys their relationship.

Spoiler alert the BDSM stuff pretty much goes away in the second book and it becomes a lame ass soap opera.

So the girl was down. Then he tied her up and she was still down. All good right? Then he beats her with a belt and punches her with his fists....WTF. This guy was getting laid, not sure why he turned this into senseless violence.

ALWAYS HAVE A SAFEWORD. Even then, definitely do not engage in S&M play with someone you don't completely trust. EDIT: I'm blaming the accused rapist here, not the victim.

Coming from a religious family and having pre-marital sex or coming from a racist family and having interracial sex come to mind. There was also a story on reddit recently (so take it with a grain of salt) about a man who did not want to have sex with a woman but she claimed she would accuse him of rape if he did not, so she ironically used that threat to rape him. Not that it's all that common.

Imm0rt4l

You're on a forum where we discuss video games where you can brutally kill people. Do you not realize the irony of this statement?

THIS.

was just going to call out the op on this, but without full reading this thread I'm sure a bunch of peeps have already called him out on this.

Coconut

Banned
ALWAYS HAVE A SAFEWORD. Even then, definitely do not engage in S&M play with someone you don't completely trust.

Coming from a religious family and having pre-marital sex or coming from a racist family and having interracial sex come to mind. There was also a story on reddit recently (so take it with a grain of salt) about a man who did not want to have sex with a woman but she claimed she would accuse him of rape if he did not, so she ironically used that threat to rape him. Not that it's all that common.

But let's think about those for a second. This means that in these hypotheticals that the person so ashamed of the sex that no one else knows about feels the need to go through the exceedingly invasive process of investigation for rape just to avoid the "shame" of having had sex. Think about how realistic that would be. I know you said take it with a grain of salt but please never cite reddit as source for anything beyond how stupid people who cite reddit are.

But let's think about those for a second. This means that in these hypotheticals that the person so ashamed of the sex that no one else knows about feels the need to go through the exceedingly invasive process of investigation for rape just to avoid the "shame" of having had sex. Think about how realistic that would be. I know you said take it with a grain of salt but please never cite reddit as source for anything beyond how stupid people who cite reddit are.

The reddit one you can freely dismiss, the other examples can and have happened. You're making a large assumption that "no one else knows" about the sex. A lot of the time the family or close friend may find out and the woman claims she has been raped to avoid being disowned or ostracized.

leadbelly

Banned
Having sex with someone who blacked out is a person that can't give consent that is rape my man.

So you think it is completely dependent on the fact that they don't remember the next day rather than their ability to actually actively participate at the time? So for example two students at a party, both drunk, decide to go back to the dorm and have sex. Lets say the girl who blacked out was the one to make the move. It's a simple case? I don't think it is.

Interesting little bit of information about students

In another study 25% of healthy college students reported being familiar with alcoholic blackouts. 51% of the students reported that they had had at least one blackout. Blackouts were reported during activities such as spending money (27%), sexual conduct (24%), fighting (16%), vandalism (16%), unprotected intercourse (6%), and driving a car (3%). So a significant number of students were engaged in a range of possibly hazardous activities during blackouts.[22]

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Which is something the book failed to address at all. No clue about the movie. BDSM communities hate the book, because it leads to people doing stupid as hell things without educating themselves.

Apparently this guy has no idea what consent means, which is fucking sad, considering he's apparently smart and shit.

Oddly enough; those same communities love Secretary - which has far less consent and a far more abusive relationship in the movie that 5SOG. I have a funny feeling there are far more people who are annoyed at their kink going far more mainstream because of the book / movie than they are about "the movie represents everything that is wrong about BDSM! Watch this other movie instead, which is basically a straight up more abusive less consensual version of the movie!"

Don't get me wrong, 5SOG is straight up bad, and represents a whole bunch of badness & screwed up interpretations of BDSM. But when someone telling you that then tells you to go watch Secretary; I question their true reasons for disliking 5SOG.

Sounds like he raped this girl and then used the movie as an excuse. I haven't read the book, watched the movie, or partaken in BDSM, so I am completely clueless here, but is it normal to use your fists and continue when the other person is crying and begging you to stop?

I'm sorry, but that story is super dumb.

I mean, let's suppose he still refused and she carried out her threat to tell people that he raped her. First thing that happens is they do a rape kit. That rape kit wouldn't find any of his semen anywhere on her, so that's the end of the case and he'd have good cause to sue her for defamation.

The actual ironic part is that if he did have sex with her because of this threat, then she'd actually have the evidence to stage a fake rape accusation. If this even happened, he just threw himself in a hole by submitting.

Patapwn

Google: false accusations of rape stories
The Brian Banks Story: How a false rape claim ruined a boy's
Google: Brian banks
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986979/redemption-brian-banks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Banks_(American_football)

I have no idea why this creature fabricated a rape accusation and adhered to it the whole nine yards to his conviction and release from prison.

Perhaps she wanted attention, or perhaps he scorned her somehow, or perhaps someone found out about it and shamed her leading to an encounter evolution into rape, I can only speculate. Perhaps she's just a physcopath? This is a little off topic so I'll just say many people have suffered and are currently suffering because ignorant people made faulty assumptions like you've just done.

I was about to get mad as I thought this was another case of "regret sex" not actual assault but it actually was full out harassment. Hope he has fun in jail.

I can't blame the movie or book. You have to be pretty fucked in the head to think beating a girl as she's crying for you to stop to mean "keep going".
Well, to get a higher thrill and better representation of reality, some couples might act it all out with pleading and crying and whatnot. But then you also have a safeword in case things go too ham.

Edit: for Illinois at least.

Just so we can get past the rape vs. sexual assault stuff.

Aggravated Criminal Sexual Assault
What makes sexual assault an aggravated offense?

In Illinois law, rape is referred to as criminal sexual assault and can escalate to an aggravated offense if certain factors are involved. These aggravating factors include, but are not limited to:

The display of or threat to use a deadly weapon
Causing bodily harm
Threatening or endangering the life of the victim
Committing the offense during the commission or attempted commission of any other felony
The victim is 60 years of age or older
The victim is handicapped
The victim is profoundly intellectually disabled
Delivering any controlled substance to the victim without their consent, or by using threats or deception

All forms of aggravated criminal sexual assault are Class X felonies. As such, they incur a prison sentence of 6 - 30 years in prison. If the offense was committed against a child or other individual incapable of defense or legal consent, an additional 10, 15, or 25 years could be added to the sentence. Many such offenses are also penalized with a natural life sentence in prison.

From a defense attorney in Illinois
http://www.chicagocriminaldefenders...-Rape/Aggravated-Criminal-Sexual-Assault.aspx

Nephtis

There will always be idiots that try to emulate something from somewhere and they will end up hurting someone.

In the kink community this is quite common actually. Some men/women will think that being a dominant is all about walking all over someone else, regardless of their wish. They think they can dish out abuse just because they're in a position of perceived power.

Those people are typically spotted and shunned from the community because they completely trample on the essence of bdsm. They can't even follow the most important rule -- trust is paramount.

I hope the courts will throw the books as hard as possible at this guy.

Coconut

Banned
So you think it is completely dependent on the fact that they don't remember the next day rather than their ability to actually actively participate at the time? So for example two students at a party, both drunk, decide to go back to the dorm and have sex. Lets say the girl who blacked out was the one to make the move. It's a simple case? I don't think it is.

Interesting little bit of information about students

A person who is blacked out can't give consent.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Google: false accusations of rape stories
The Brian Banks Story: How a false rape claim ruined a boy's
Google: Brian banks
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7986979/redemption-brian-banks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Banks_(American_football)

I have no idea why this creature fabricated a rape accusation and adhered to it the whole nine yards to his conviction and release from prison.

Perhaps she wanted attention, or perhaps he scorned her somehow, or perhaps someone found out about it and shamed her leading to an encounter evolution into rape, I can only speculate. Perhaps she's just a physcopath? This is a little off topic so I'll just say many people have suffered and are currently suffering because ignorant people made faulty assumptions like you've just done.

This one is especially close to me; my dad and I worked through the Innocence Project to help him out. Got a picture with him; he's way more forgiving than I would ever be in his situation. It is (very) rare for someone to be that sociopathic in pursuing a false rape charge, but in my experience, usually what happens is that someone lies about it as a white lie to friends, then they get pressured to take it public by said friends, and then they double down, and it just snowballs. Especially with rape being one of the few he said / she said crimes that can rather easily lead to a conviction (to try to make up for the injustice that has gone the other way for so long).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom