• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1983 article about "hardcore" gamers and differences between East and West designs

FnordChan

Inspired by the fanboy rant from 1989, I went and poked around Google Groups myself, reading through the archive of net.games.video from 1982 to 1986. Alas, things are generally pretty level headed, with most of the discussion involving game reviews, high score discussions, and a ton of posts about the Vectrex after it hit fire sale prices. I did find a couple of tidbits to share, however.

First off, from a reply to a review of the Atari 5200 (March 1983):

decvax!harpo!druxy!rbd said:
Us 5200 owners will just have to suffer until Atari gets into full production and until the 5200 "proves" itself. Intellivision and Colecovision may have beaten Atari to the punch with voice synthesis, 2600 adapters and software, but in the long run the 5200 will be more popular. The Intellivision and Colecovision controllers are awful (flames to /dev/null), and only because of expense. The game units are not as solid as the 5200, either.

Ah, the new system owner desperately defending their new purchase. The best part of this little rant is the bit about the controllers. My first game system was the 5200 and I'm here to tell you that those controllers sucked uncontrollably. The non-centering design worked okay for a few games, but if you wanted to play Pac-Man, forget it. Don't get me started about the fire buttons either.

The other bit I liked was a short review of I, Robot (Aug 1984):

!utcsrgv!spoo said:
A new game called "I,ROBOT", just hit the Toronto area. If you can find it, go take a look at it--it's a taste of the future. A zillion colours, high resolution graphics, and REAL TIME 3-D GRAPHICS WITH SURFACE FILLING AND HIDDEN SURFACE REMOVAL. It's basically a simple game, and there isn't that much movement (the processors are probably wheezing), but it's so natural it's extremely impressive when you realize what's going on.

It's like proto-graphics whoredom in action. Fast forward a decade, change the name of the game, and you practically have a review from the PlayStation launch. I love it.

FnordChan

Kilrogg said:

I didn't want to turn this back into a Nintendo-bash, but I personally don't
like Nintendo. I'm not asking anyone else to share my opinion, but I have the
right to express that view.

They use low-end technology with high end marketing to achive success; fine.
But a techno-weenie like myself would like to see technology being pushed to
its limit and have the best unit win, not the best marketing department.
Forcing competitors out of the marketplace with "questionable" marketing
tactics may be fair or it may not be... it's just not something that I like to
see in an area of consumer electronics that I enjoy.

This is a thing of beauty.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What's so amazing about reading these antique posts is that a historical perspective really begins to put techfans, brandfans, and defensive provincial gamers in their place. And that place is very small, dumb, and set to be laughed at in its due turn in another 20 years.

It seems to be human nature though. People who style themselves as "pros", hardcore or whatever, are always threatened when their playing field is opened up to the masses; at least as they perceive it.

> Don't believe me? Try renting Commando and Strider, both by
> Capcom. They're almost identical! Still don't believe me?
> Try renting Blaster Master and Fester's Quest, both by Sunsoft.
> They're almost identical, too! Different game, same play-action.

Ah yes, Commando and Strider, practically indistinguishable.

My friend who grew up in the 80s and 90s was a Sega fanboy and he still hates Nintendo to this day (well not hate, more like dislike). I guess it's all them colours and cute characters Nintendo makes that will forever alienate the more traditional players. Hopefully one day people can look past the outside and value what's on the inside.

Kilrogg said:
Why is Nintendo so bad? (1989)

I haven't read through all of it, but I'm sure there's gold to be found in there :D.

I think it is true that many of the 2600 games are better than Nintendo because the designers had to really work to wring good playable games out of the hardware.

Oh wow

I think it is true that many of the PS3 games are better than 360 because the designers had to really work to wring good playable games out of the hardware. - Gaf's Uncharted 3 hype thread a year or so from now

Also, google was around in 1989? I had no idea

Deku

Banned
No Google wasn't around, but the BBS posts were never deleted. google, being so awesome, tapped into all those posts, archived them and made them public.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Kaijima said:
What's so amazing about reading these antique posts is that a historical perspective really begins to put techfans, brandfans, and defensive provincial gamers in their place. And that place is very small, dumb, and set to be laughed at in its due turn in another 20 years.

It seems to be human nature though. People who style themselves as "pros", hardcore or whatever, are always threatened when their playing field is opened up to the masses; at least as they perceive it.

Yesterday I listened to a French podcast (from the site that brought us the Wii Hi-Fi rumour at E3), and I was baffled to hear two of the hosts say nearly word for word that gaming should not be open to the masses but instead remain a subculture. They were dead serious. My jaw hit the floor.

Scipius

Deku said:
No Google wasn't around, but the BBS posts were never deleted. google, being so awesome, tapped into all those posts, archived them and made them public.

These are just the old Deja News archives of Usenet postings, right? Or does Google Groups now include BBS messages?

Let's look at your logic here. Say I want to write a book. Does this
mean I should apply for a poetic license? I mean we wouldn't want people
to turn out low quality literature, now would we ?
As I remember, Atari first tried to block production of Activision
cartridges. Either they lost the battle, or realized that these new
independent cartridges boosted the sales of their home unit, and so
began the Atari phenomena....
Why in Buddha's name should anyone, ANYONE have to pay Nintendope
a CENT to put out peripherals for their system? Does this mean that
Seagate should have to pay ALL the major computer producers a royalty
fee for the privilege of making hard drives for them? Get a life!
The reason Ninrakedough is so popular here is that the average dweenie
never played any of the really good games of the early 1980's and
last owned an Atari 2600. This makes Joe Hydrocephally really believe
the games he plays on his Nintwobit are major technological coups. After
all, they are alot more fun than the pirated games he has for that PC
Clone he bought at K-Mart.
The other reason that Nofundo is so popular is that they advertise,
ADVERTISE A D V E R T I S E until you want to shove a Tetris where
the sun never shines.

However, Nintendo in Japan is a different story. It came out two years
before it was released here and had NO LOCKOUT system. Technologically,
it's comparable to the Atari 7800, except I think that the Atari has
better video quality.

The Lameboy is just an extension of their luddite policies extended
to the hand held. If Atari makes enough Lynxes, they might actually
get beaten although this is certainly a long shot due to Atari's major
psychological problems....

I love the internet.

Never change.

Oh wait, you never have. :lol

scitek

CosmicGroinPull said:
Ah, so casual gamer is a euphemized version of novice gamer.

I prefer novice gamer SO much more because it's entirely accurate. Casual gamer does not necessarily describe someone who only plays WiiSports--what if they play it for 8 hours a day? That's pretty hardcore.

Muffdraul

Pretty misleading article from my personal point of view. I'm 41, I practically lived in arcades from the mid 70s to the mid 80s, and I don't recall anyone, not a single person, looking at games this way at the time. Some games were obviously regarded as harder than others, but nobody went around saying that Defender and Armor Assault were cool and Pac-Man and Donkey Kong were for pussies or anything remotely like that. If there was a group of people who shared Jarvis' opinion, they must have been a very tiny minority.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I should start saving copies of more epic fanboy threads on here. Twenty years from now I'll post them on NeoNeoGAF and we'll all reminisce and go "wow, things ever change, do they?"

LCfiner

Ninrakedough. :lol :lol

what a tortured turn of phrase. so awkward.

I really do love how we're seeing all these same arguments all over again. the same gripes about closed platforms and royalty fees and - the worst crime of all to the techno elite - advertising.

fucking golden.

Deku

Banned
Scipius said:
These are just the old Deja News archives of Usenet postings, right? Or does Google Groups now include BBS messages?

i suppose they are 'newsgroups' not the private BBS type things where you dialed in.

But its a confusion of the term on my part.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
LCfiner said:

I really do love how we're seeing all these same arguments all over again. the same gripes about closed platforms and royalty fees and - the worst crime of all to the techno elite - advertising.

fucking golden.

Yeah, the guy completely lost it. We ain't got nothing with our M$'s and Ninty's and whatnot :lol.

Interestingly the misconceptions about Nintendo's Seal of Quality already existed at the time even though people were confronted with new shitty NES games every day.

Deku

Banned
LCfiner said:

fucking golden.

They've never gone away. people seeing the discussions, be it casual v. hardcore, the nintendo hate, the graphic whoring as a a cyclical thing is under heavy denial about the trajectory of the industry and the types of people and subcultures that populate it.

The only thing cyclical is Nintendo is back on top again.

Great find. Great thread.

Formerly, a typical video game player might be a warty teenager, a National Lampoon reader, blasting AC-DC in his room, who went to the arcade to kick a machine's butt. "From shit to God for a quarter," Jarvis commented. The games this type of player favors are almost invariably the American ones: Tough to play, intimidating to the novice, shooting-driving-destroying paranoid filled games. "Sperm games," Jarvis calls them. But now, he went on, these elitist video cowboys might be as extinct as their doggiepunching pinball forerunners.
I love the 180 degree change in perception of "typical video game players" between this article and one written 9 years earlier: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=385103

LCfiner

It's going to be fascinating to read my posts about the industry and tech companies twenty years from now. I hope an archive of Gaf is around.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Muffdraul said:
If there was a group of people who shared Jarvis' opinion, they must have been a very tiny minority.
And they are now. The only difference is that tiny minority now has a worldwide soapbox to cry from.

Deku

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
And they are now. The only difference is that tiny minority now has a worldwide soapbox to cry from.
That's actually not the worse of it. Many developers share those views, so they really thing they're trying to save gaming from Nintendo and the slanty eyed peoples of the east.

FoxSpirit

scitek said:
I prefer novice gamer SO much more because it's entirely accurate. Casual gamer does not necessarily describe someone who only plays WiiSports--what if they play it for 8 hours a day? That's pretty hardcore.

In some way, I find that pretty mind blowing. Especially since it's a very simple game... but so was Pong or Space Invaders.

Fixed1979

One thing has changed:
The saddest part about this tale is that the PC version by far outshines the combined profits of Amiga and ST versions so now some programmers are dropping the Amiga and ST and limiting their horizons simply for the bucks.

Kilrogg said:
The more things change, the more they stay the same indeed.
LCfiner said:
Awesome. the more things change, the more they stay the same.
PataHikari said:
And thus we see that gamers have never changed.
XiaNaphryz said:
System war never changes. Or in this case, gamer in-fighting?
SYNTAX182 said:
The game always stays the same only the players change.
Mael said:
Funny! so 2006 was really just the reenactement of 86?
Cowie said:
The parallels from those articles to today are damn uncanny.
KevinCow said:
Seriously, if you just replace the system and game names, these things could look

like posts on this board.
KevinCow said:
Shit really is cyclical, huh?
John said:
You could even say...

"Same shit, different day."
Chris_C said:
All this has happened before...
Pankaks said:
And all of this will happen again
KevinCow said:
People are still going to be having these exact same arguments in 20 years,

aren't they?
The_Technomancer said:
I should start saving copies of more epic fanboy threads on here. Twenty

years from now I'll post them on NeoNeoGAF and we'll all reminisce and go "wow, things ever

change, do they?"
LCfiner said:
It's going to be fascinating to read my posts about the industry and tech companies twenty years from now. I hope an archive of Gaf is around.
Vinci said:
It's like peering at the Ghost of Gaming's Future Past.
witness said:
Oh history and your funny ways of repeating yourself.
sinxtanx said:
It's been the same since the stone age
History repeating in a thread about history repeating?

2z5mat4.jpg

Coolie said:
fans of Defender were apparently scoffing at games like Donkey Kong and Pac-Man 27 years ago

Didn't happen. I hate to throw a wet blanket on the festivities but this whole thread is blown out of proportion. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, especially Pac-Man, were universally loved by everyone. There was no supposed hardcore, except maybe a select few, who hated Pac-Man because it was too kiddie or soccer-mommy.

Same thing for Mario Bros. as well and whatever other popular Japanese games at the time you can think of.

I think the shift happened during the N64 era where a segment of gamers began too tire of Nintendo's "colorful" and what was seen as "kiddie" approach. The PS1 had more variety and many gamers migrated there, it also attracted older gamers who were otherwise put off by Nintendo's games. There are other reasons. Nowadays yes, supposed hardcore gamers are still scoffing at Nintendo with the Wii, but can't just lump everyone into being "insecure". They just prefer PS3/360/PC.

Deku said:
The Warming must be working overtime to reconcile his dissonance.

So you think people didn't like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong because they were too cute, friendly, colorful, and easy? It just didn't happen. I don't know where this comes from. Pac-Man became of the most famous games of all time for a reason, it was loved by everyone.

BTW Pac-Man isn't really an easy game, maybe compared to Robotron it is.

Vinci

Danish
The-Warning said:
Didn't happen. I hate to throw a wet blanket on the festivities but this whole thread is blown out of proportion. Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, especially Pac-Man, were universally loved by everyone. There was no supposed hardcore, except maybe a select few, who hated Pac-Man because it was too kiddie or soccer-mommy.

Same thing for Mario Bros. as well and whatever other popular Japanese games at the time you can think of.

I think the shift happened during the N64 era where a segment of gamers began too tire of Nintendo's "colorful" and what was seen as "kiddie" approach. The PS1 had more variety and many gamers migrated there, it also attracted older gamers who were otherwise put off by Nintendo's games. There are other reasons. Nowadays yes, supposed hardcore gamers are still scoffing at Nintendo with the Wii, but can't just lump everyone into being "insecure". They just prefer PS3/360/PC.

I agree. Historical precedent is notoriously difficult to recognize when you're living through it. You're right.

Fast-forward 10 years later:

The-Warming said:
Nobody hated the Wii back then. I mean, yes, there was a small minority of people who actively despised it - and we all know that small minorities are usually the loudest - but to say that it's similar to how people feel about Apple's iGame is ridiculous. The Wii hate didn't happen.

That mainstream love of Pac-Man and how it became one of the most popular video games is, I think, what the article is kinda talking about. Imagine the few hardcore arcade video game players playing games only they were into, suddenly having their arcades taken over by Pac-Man and Donkey Kong and all the fame those games got.

Deku

Banned
The-Warning said:
So you think people didn't like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong because they were too cute, friendly, colorful, and easy? It just didn't happen. I don't know where this comes from. Pac-Man became of the most famous games of all time for a reason, it was loved by everyone.

BTW Pac-Man isn't really an easy game, maybe compared to Robotron it is.

I honestly wouldn't know, I was too young to know the full scope of the industry and the various sub groups that populated it.

but there's no reason to believe your strung together retelling of history steeped in rationalization of your current world view is more credible than actual quotes from people living at the time exhibiting mostly the same tendencies, making the same arguments, except with different hardware.

Occum's razzor and all that. But believe what you'd like.

voodoopanda said:
That mainstream love of Pac-Man and how it became one of the most popular video games is, I think, what the article is kinda talking about. Imagine the few hardcore arcade video game players playing games only they were into, suddenly having their arcades taken over by Pac-Man and Donkey Kong and all the fame those games got.

that is of course the point.

The-Warning said:

I've been reading a lot of classic video game magazines lately, and - at the very least - these philosophies were shared by many people within the industry. Many game designers and gaming journalists shared the viewpoints that were talked about in the article. In this very thread, many posters have dug up BBS posts from the '80s that suggest that gamers themselves sometimes shared these viewpoints. I would certainly agree that they were probably in the minority, but I am not sure if things have really changed in that regard. For someone to say that "Pac-Man was loved by everybody" because it happened to be the most successful game of its era would be like saying "Mario Kart Wii is loved by everybody." Mario Kart has a real chance of becoming the best-selling game of this generation and seemingly appeals to everybody. And, yet, there is a lot of hate directed at that game. (The same example could be used with Wii Sports or New Super Mario Bros. Wii.) The best-selling games this generation are the ones that appeal to "everyone." Incidentally, even the games that appeal to everybody, don't appeal to everybody. The haters are still in the minority, but - as another poster astutely noted - the self-described "hardcore" gamers now have a larger soap box.

Muffdraul

The-Warning, read my previous post. I'm with you. I was there. I know exactly what you're talking about and you're correct. Fuck these guys.

SYNTAX182

Muffdraul said:
The-Warning, read my previous post. I'm with you. I was there. I know exactly what you're talking about and you're correct. Fuck these guys.

I must be crazy, but doesn't the article and the links provided within the thread disprove that point?

Saying no one had this point of view back then is silly when the proof is provided within the thread.

Top Bottom