• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up/IGN layoffs part deux [1UP, Gamespy, and UGO being shut down]

wrowa

Aren't there like 4 people at 1up?

Yep. If they fire one, there's a very good chance they lay off all of them. 1UP is barely alive as it is...

Like I've said in the other thread, I think it's likely that IGN's new owners are making clear ship. UGO, 1UP and Gamespy are unlikely to have made them much (or any) money and what is the sense in operating other portals apart of IGN to begin with?

Noogy

Wait 1up is still alive? Haven't been here in ages

Also giantbomb should just here Rorie I have no idea why they haven't already

I'm sure GB would LOVE to help out everyone, but like everyone they have to be very careful with money, especially during these times. If GB ever goes down, I'm out of gaming.

I'm sure GB would LOVE to help out everyone, but like everyone they have to be very careful with money, especially during these times. If GB ever goes down, I'm out of gaming.

They could have Least offered him a Job like they did to Alex. It crazy how he was the only one to get fucked over by the buyout

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
@ColinCampbellx 11:08 AM
I got shortlisted for a journalism award and laid off by IGN - all in the same day. Life's funny isn't it?

Jose Otero just announced he was laid off. Can we expect more?

I hope everyone affected will get a new gig soon.
FUUUUU!!!! He was in charge of the Games Dammit podcast wasn't he?

Thread title says "part deux". Who was laid off before?
What? Why?

...You almost had me!

MrDaravon

I genuinely thought that Jeremy had been the only person still at "1UP" for years now. Holy crap.

And poor Rorie, dude can't catch a break.

c9ZR23e.png

:( liked that guy a lot.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ign-layoffs/

IGN was hit with editorial layoffs today, with sites 1UP and Gamespy expected to be shut down.

A company spokesperson confirmed the details to Joystiq, noting IGN is focusing on its two brands: IGN and AskMen.com

The news comes less that an a month after IGN was purchased by j2 Global through its Ziff Davis subsidiary.

fuck

Seems shady to do this the day after a new console reveal. Sucks for Rorie, seems like he barely even got his feet wet at Gamespy.

As a former employee of the Ziff Davis 1UP (the first one), this saddens me.

Many of my friends still work in the industry, whether they're on the media or development side. Most of them are extremely talented individuals. But I got as far away possible (career-wise) from that mess... for this very reason.
I'm curious as to what you do now. What is the better alternative that you chose which works for you?
Do you remember the original 1UPocalypse years ago?
No, unfortunatley I just started listening to podcasts two years ago. I even missed "1up yours".
Nooooo!!!!!!! Son of a bitch!

I'll follow him when he continues Retronaughts.

Man, all this is really shitty. Things seem to be really bad all around and not just in the game industry. We're going throught he same cutbacks at my workplace. Scary times.

LiK

FUUUUU!!!! He was in charge of the Games Dammit podcast wasn't he?

Thread title says "part deux". Who was laid off before?

Oh, it's in reference to the first one a few years ago where there were massive layoffs at 1up if you remember.

antitrop

It's a God damn journalist massacre.

Haven't seen something like this in 4 years now. Fucking shame. I hope they all get great jobs soon.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/ign-layoffs/

IGN was hit with editorial layoffs today, with sites 1UP and Gamespy expected to be shut down.

A company spokesperson confirmed the details to Joystiq, noting IGN is focusing on its two brands: IGN and AskMen.com

The news comes less that an a month after IGN was purchased by j2 Global through its Ziff Davis subsidiary.

fuck

Yep. I called it, unfortunately. One supersite to rule them all. Hate IGN. Over-produced corporate tripe.

So Ziff sells 1up to UGO, which gets bought by IGN, which gets bought back by Ziff, which then finally shuts down 1up and UGO?

Hope everyone who lost their jobs ends up ok.

yami4ct

So sorry for everyone. Especially Rorie. It really sucks for him.

Sad that this will be the death of the shambling corpse of 1up. Surprised it didn't happen sooner. I'm hoping the retronauts guys can put together a blog/podcast somewhere else. They're one of my favorite. Bob was really revitalizing the thing. Even if it means shity quality and skype callings, I really want it to live on somehow.

Nokterian

So sad to see this. I visited Gamespy daily. Dan Stapleton does great work there,feel so sorry for Matthew rorie,he can't catch a break.

Curufinwe

So sad to see this. I visited Gamespy daily. Dan Stapleton does great work there,feel so sorry for Matthew rorie,he can't catch a break.

I would love to see him back at PC Gamer since their podcast has never been the same without him. And they could do with some more technical knowledge on staff.

Top Bottom