• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up/IGN layoffs part deux [1UP, Gamespy, and UGO being shut down]

antitrop

Hey its a wonderful day, i wanna come home and play, all my video games.
I miss Jane Pinckard.

The 1up Show is the best piece of game-related video content that has ever been produced. I watched it religiously and looked forward to it each week more than the actual games they were even talking about. Such a fantastic collection of personalities, with incredible production values. The spiritual successor, CO-OP on Rev3 was also fantastic, though depressingly short-lived.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfK1tUrGJ4

Does anyone have a YT clip of the ending credits of The 1up Show? Seems depressingly fucking fitting for this thread. Godspeed to all.

turnbuckle

FUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKK

Goodbye 1up, Retronauts, etc.

I just spent a good bit of time the other day re-downloading all the old episodes of retronauts and listening to them again. It's weird how long this generation has gone and depressing to hear the voices of those long gone.

The newer retronauts have been very good as well, but it really finally seems like the end of an era.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
@bradshoemaker
Holy shit, the 1UP and Gamespy brands are being dissolved? Pour out all your 40s.

fuck

Hmmm.

Wonder how large the 1up podcasts and shows are, in terms of HD space...

Damn, Mackey is out sick with the flu. What a shit way to get canned.

BearPawB

Banned
1up back in the day was so great.
It is the first site that really put their writers and personalities first.
It hasn't been the same in the past few years, but they had some golden moments

Man, I don't really like any of these sites anymore, but good luck to any of the people affected.

Also, how does Colin Moriarty continue to survive these layoffs?

Blueblur1

Terrible terrible news. I hope everyone lands on their feet.

As soon as I get home I'm gonna rush to download everything I can. I used to love watching the 1up Show and listening to 1up Yours.

Talon

Bummer. Jeremy Parish had posted a blog post about being bought. Apparently they had absolutely no resources for the past X months, as they knew a move was happening.

I know the Podcasts had lost steam until the last two episodes of Games Dammit and Retronauts. The Earthbound episode was great.

I'll follow him wherever he winds up.

Jb

Fuck :( A sad fucking day indeed, I hope all those affected land on their feet. Retronauts/ATB/Games Dammit were among my favorite podcasts.

yami4ct

Went and backed up my 1up Blog. As much as I wanted that work to die in a fire, reminder of my childish days, I honestly didn't want to lose it. 1up was a huge part of my growing up as a gamer. I will certainly miss it and retronauts. I hope everyone ends up better in the end.

Awful. I won't believe that Parish is gone until he says it. He's survived this long!

Mackey was great too. I hope he lands on his feet at a better place.

antitrop

From Karen Chu on Twitter:

1UP Class of 2008:

BDptl1QCQAA3BgW.jpg:large

yami4ct

Mackey is out? Holy shit.

I wonder if even Parish will end up getting sacked too.

Given the site's shutting down, probably. I don't see a place for him at IGN. He was in such a top role of what was left of 1up, I don't even know where they would put him. I really hope he gets a job at a site that can actually capitalize on his great work. It's been sad to see him languish at what was left of 1up for so long.

Sonicbug

Went and backed up my 1up Blog. As much as I wanted that work to die in a fire, reminder of my childish days, I honestly didn't want to lose it. 1up was a huge part of my growing up as a gamer. I will certainly miss it and retronauts. I hope everyone ends up better in the end.

Is there an easy way to go through and back up that stuff? I had quite a few posts on there that I'd like to keep...

This fucking blows. Poor guys. =( I'm gonna miss that place, glory days long gone notwithstanding.

Sulla1980

So all the twitter talk is that 1up is being dissolved. Sad stuff.

As long as someone was still working there, I felt like I could revisit and get some of that feeling. 1up was my games site, and while it sucked every time there someone left or there was a layoff, I kind a hoped that it would stick around and return to its old self. Foolish hopes, I know.

yami4ct

Is there an easy way to go through and back up that stuff? I had quite a few posts on there that I'd like to keep...

This fucking blows. Poor guys. =( I'm gonna miss that place, glory days long gone notwithstanding.

No, I had to copy and paste each one to a text document. It sucked.

border

Damn -- sorry to see the site come crashing down. I haven't really kept up with any websites besides GAF, since the initial 1Up explosion.

What exactly happened here? A couple years ago Ziff-Davis sold 1Up to UGO. But now they are buying 1Up and UGO? Only to shut them down?

Absolutely gutted. Retronauts was my first podcast back in 2007 and still my favourite today.

The writing's been on the wall for 1up for a while, but still, awful for everyone affected.

Good luck to Jeremy, Bob, Marty, Jose and Kat Bailey, #1upforever

Yes Boss!

As a former employee of the Ziff Davis 1UP (the first one), this saddens me.

Many of my friends still work in the industry, whether they're on the media or development side. Most of them are extremely talented individuals. But I got as far away possible (career-wise) from that mess... for this very reason.

Where do you work now?

I know my brother went to CMP for a bit after the the first big huge 1UP firing a few years back but he now works as far away from gaming media as he can.

DTJAAAAM

Really sad to hear about 1UP. Haven't posted there in a long time, but I guess I should go back and backup some old blogs for the memories.

It's kind of poetic that Ziff Davis are the ones to deal this final death blow. They fucked 1UP over so much, now they get to fuck it over one last time.

LiK

We need a torrent of all the shows. C'mon guys, save em before they're gone. I have no access to them :(

Patryn

Parish is to good a writer to not end up over at IGN

Given the site's shutting down, probably. I don't see a place for him at IGN. He was in such a top role of what was left of 1up, I don't even know where they would put him. I really hope he gets a job at a site that can actually capitalize on his great work. It's been sad to see him languish at what was left of 1up for so long.

Parish is a very talented writer and I hope that he ends up in a more secure place.

Parish appears to be safe. See this earlier post:

from his twitter
Jeremy Parish said:
@avestal Am I still employed? Yes. Am I emotionally sound? Only relatively.

It's too bad about 1up and Gamespy, but the writing has been on the wall for both of those sites for some time, hasn't it... though even IGN isn't anywhere remotely near what it used to be either. Firing people sure isn't the way to fix that problem, though! I mean, seriously, those all used to be pretty good sites. Why have all of the big gaming network sites gone down the drain? I guess blogs like Kotaku are all that people go to now, or something... too bad. I mean, I don't go to those sites all that much either, but that's more because of how poor, and thin, the content has gotten than anything.

So, IGN is now officially the last one standing of all the '90s/early-'00s gaming networks? Wow.

Gamespot's still around.

Top Bottom