• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up/IGN layoffs part deux [1UP, Gamespy, and UGO being shut down]

Tiktaalik

Is there some way we can back up 1up.com features/reviews and media content such as the 1up Show and Podcasts?

1up.com has always had really great features and focused on subjects that the other big sites never cared for, such as Japan and retro gaming. Just today I browsed over to 1up to have a read of their Kenji Eno interview feature.

As well 1up was a pioneer in original video content and podcasting in the mid-2000s and the 1up Show is a fantastic archive of the launch era of the Wii/PS3/X360 generation.

It would be an immense loss to the gaming community if all of this was lost.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
IGN is still broken up by platforms, isn't it?

I wonder how that would work for a guy like Jeremy, where would they even send him? If there's a overall editor position I could see that, he really is a good leader.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
This is HEART BREAKING.

So many great people losing their jobs :(

How can we help these folks?

Follow them to their next jobs, keep reading other writers that you like. Support websites by giving them traffic.

All you can do.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is there some way we can back up 1up.com features/reviews and media content such as the 1up Show and Podcasts?

1up.com has always had really great features and focused on subjects that the other big sites never cared for, such as Japan and retro gaming. Just today I browsed over to 1up to have a read of their Kenji Eno interview feature.

As well 1up was a pioneer in original video content and podcasting in the mid-2000s and the 1up Show is a fantastic archive of the launch era of the Wii/PS3/X360 generation.

is all their stuff up on RSS feeds?

Aleanil

Neo Member
During the last big round of layoffs, I know there were torrents created of the 1UP show and the podcasts - I have full copies of CGW/GFW Live, EGM Live / 1UP FM, Good Grief / Oddcast, radiOPM, Retronauts, Sound Test, Legendary Thread, 1UP Yours/Listen UP/4 Guys 1UP/Games, Dammit!, as well as the full run of the 1UP Show, Broken Pixels, Game Night, and the Whiteboard videos. I lack the 1UP Daily Update series with Frank Cifaldi though, and should probably remedy that.

It's the articles and features and interviews that are more difficult though. How can you archive 10 years of content stored in several different fashions on the site? The /articles and /features folders have a bunch of stuff, but I know it's not the entirety by any means.

antitrop

Matt Chandronait ‏@talkingorange
Anyone want to invest a couple dozen million dollars in Area 5? We'll totally hire all our friends.

Haunted

Hey
I don't wanna go to work today
Wanna stay home and play all my video games

No
I don't wanna take it nice and slow
Wanna get ready to go
On the one up show

On the one up show
You know you'll be a star
On the one up show You already are
Everyday is like a holiday

So long, good bye
Im gonna run away right now

Game on
All night
I'm gonna be on the one up show

On the one up show
One up, one up, one up...
On the one up show
On the one up show
On the one up show
:(

At least 1up's official forums will still be up.
I wonder who will get that reference.

Mathew Rorie one of them? From his twitter, @frailgesture: "Hey anyone need an editor?"

/beaten. Poor dude. Can't catch a break.
And Rorie he just got a job ! :O

ywG2kfq.png
goddamnit

I will never cease to be heartbroken over 1UP. The site meant so much to me and my love for video games and their voices were the background track to my entire life for nearly four years. When I interviewed there in 2008 and got to meet with them in their offices, I felt like I was inches away from my dream job, and could hardly sleep for the weeks it took for them to finish their interviews and receive the bad news. Even knowing how the story ends, it's one of my biggest disappointments.

Coolwhip

Banned
Sucks for the people getting fired. But it does make sense imo. I never understood the gaming website within a gaming website.

Ninjimbo

Heartbreaking to hear. I still visited for their recent batch of cover stories. I thought it was great direction to go in with the smaller staff.

RIP 1up.

Wherever Parish goes, I'll be there to read his stuff. The man is one of a kind.

DocSeuss

:\

This is going to make it even harder for me to get a job doing gaming journalism. A lot of these people are top notch. I wish them the best.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Yeah, Gamespot is still around.

Anyway, I'm not shocked. Hasn't been the same since the 1up Show ended and the talent was gutted. Admirable job by Jeremy and other survivors to keep some interesting stuff going, but the writing has been on the wall for awhile now.

The first online show I ever watched was the 1up Show, and 1up Yours was the first podcast I ever listened to. That was back when I first upgraded from dial up to dsl, lol.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Gc-Freak

Banned
I loved the 1Up Show but then they were sold and 1Up died back then...
So to me it doesn't really matter if the got shut...

thummp

I was one of the original authors of the 1up website, back in 2004. It was one hell of a chaotic project. The result was some of the worst code the internet had ever seen. That was a contract job that ended when 1up shipped. I went and did other things. But a year and a half later, I returned. For the first time in my life, I had not a job, but a mission. I wanted to rewrite 1up. Some of that shitty code was mine and it never sat well with me.

So I returned in March 2006 to rewrite 1up. I did the bulk of the work myself, but had help with tuning from some VERY smart people. I've never worked as hard on anything in my life, never cared about my work as much as I did for the next 6 years. I became known on the site and users would writie me all the time asking for fixes or help. I frequented the boards and tried to answer questions (and goof off).

When UGO bought 1up in January of 2009, it was a very sad time for 1up, particularly the editorial team, who could never be the same without some of those great folks. And yet, one of the losses was my boss, leaving me in charge of tech. So frankly it was happy times for me. The only boss I had was the CTO of UGO, who was back in New York. Hardly ever heard from the guy. I got a taste of management, of having a say in the direction the site took (from a technical point of view).

But one thing UGO did NOT want to do was to expand the team and make the site even cooler. Sam and I had a ton of great ideas, but unfortunately we were always understaffed. When UGO took over, they cut QA, my boss and a few engineers. Then they cut another one, and yet another quit. That left the 1up tech department with 2 back end and 1 front end engineer. When we did the relaunch in 2011, the trivia engine, the 'Happening Now' module at the upper right, the community center, the updates to the front page. I did ALL the back end work myself. It was a labor of love. I stopped playing video games and would code late into the night after my wife and son were asleep.

When IGN bought the site from UGO, I was the last man standing. I ran the entire site myself. At first, IGN was happy to have me, but I quickly grew to hate it there. They have a couple of serious douchebags running the department, and it wasn't long before I called out one of them on his douchebaggery and he had my fired for it. I was ultimately fired (ok, forced to resign) from 1up because I made someone look bad in a fucking email. And yet, I'm far more depressed upon hearing this news than I was getting canned.

I miss Sam and Jeremy terribly. They sure were fun to work with. Hell, I miss the whole crew. Every damned one of the editorial staff cared DEEPLY about video games, and it showed.

I knew this was coming, knew it was coming soon. Ziff can't run 1up because there is no one left that has the faintest idea how it works. I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that since January 23rd of last year, the site has literally run itself. I did my job and I did it well. Goodbye 1up. Fuck.

I've got the brunt majority of the GFW podcasts, but that's about it. There was an old torrent with all the 1UP Yours, but there's nobody seeding it now. Same applies to Retronauts. I have no idea if the 1UP Show was ever backed up and posted by anyone.

Booshka

I was one of the original authors of the 1up website, back in 2004. It was one hell of a chaotic project. The result was some of the worst code the internet had ever seen. That was a contract job that ended when 1up shipped. I went and did other things. But a year and a half later, I returned. For the first time in my life, I had not a job, but a mission. I wanted to rewrite 1up. Some of that shitty code was mine and it never sat well with me.

So I returned in March 2006 to rewrite 1up. I did the bulk of the work myself, but had help with tuning from some VERY smart people. I've never worked as hard on anything in my life, never cared about my work as much as I did for the next 6 years. I became known on the site and users would writie me all the time asking for fixes or help. I frequented the boards and tried to answer questions (and goof off).

When UGO bought 1up in January of 2009, it was a very sad time for 1up, particularly the editorial team, who could never be the same without some of those great folks. And yet, one of the losses was my boss, leaving me in charge of tech. So frankly it was happy times for me. The only boss I had was the CTO of UGO, who was back in New York. Hardly ever heard from the guy. I got a taste of management, of having a say in the direction the site took (from a technical point of view).

But one thing UGO did NOT want to do was to expand the team and make the site even cooler. Sam and I had a ton of great ideas, but unfortunately we were always understaffed. When UGO took over, they cut QA, my boss and a few engineers. Then they cut another one, and yet another quit. That left the 1up tech department with 2 back end and 1 front end engineer. When we did the relaunch in 2011, the trivia engine, the 'Happening Now' module at the upper right, the community center, the updates to the front page. I did ALL the back end work myself. It was a labor of love. I stopped playing video games and would code late into the night after my wife and son were asleep.

When IGN bought the site from UGO, I was the last man standing. I ran the entire site myself. At first, IGN was happy to have me, but I quickly grew to hate it there. They have a couple of serious douchebags running the department, and it wasn't long before I called out one of them on his douchebaggery and he had my fired for it. I was ultimately fired (ok, forced to resign) from 1up because I made someone look bad in a fucking email. And yet, I'm far more depressed upon hearing this news than I was getting canned.

I miss Sam and Jeremy terribly. They sure were fun to work with. Hell, I miss the whole crew. Every damned one of the editorial staff cared DEEPLY about video games, and it showed.

I knew this was coming, knew it was coming soon. Ziff can't run 1up because there is no one left that has the faintest idea how it works. I suppose I can take some solace in the fact that since January 23rd of last year, the site has literally run itself. I did my job and I did it well. Goodbye 1up. Fuck.

Wow, heartbreaking.

ZenaxPure

IGN just feels like a rotating door at this point, someone is always on the way out and someone else is always coming in. I honestly can't even name half the people writing there nowadays. Seeing Ryan go is a bit heartbreaking though, I didn't think he was the best gamer or writer but I loved listening to him on podcasts and such. Is there a list of everyone that got fired from IGN or are we just hearing it in bits and pieces?

It's sad but all too clear that there is no money in writing about games as a business or as an individual. The world has changed so much.

It's really no different than the death of most newspapers, video rental stores, and so many other businesses thanks to the changing way people do things and the technology behind it.

What's more interesting here is that we've watched the whole thing unfold in front of our eyes over the past decade or so. We saw the heyday of vibrant gaming sites full of personalities, then the realization from the companies that run them that there's not nearly enough money such places generate, now the current world where only a few "traditional" gaming sites remain. And as we all know - even if we don't want to admit it - they won't be here in a few years either.

It's already happening too; publishers and manufacturers manage their own communications much more now, from their own YouTube channels to podcasts and so on. The vast majority of consumers don't know and/or care.

Ultimately, whether that's a good or bad thing is left to your own opinion. The world has spoken, though, and there aren't enough people like us out there to make it a viable business to run a "traditional" gaming website or make a living writing about them.

:( Hope these guys find something else soon! Being an employee in the game industry seems like a such a double edged sword more and more nowadays.

Whatever happened to CO-OP on Rev3? I thought that was amazing. Great production values, but it seems like it's been canned too.

You couldn't pay me to be a gaming journalist. It sounds like a great job, but then you look at the abysmal pay and the turnover rate and it makes me wonder why so many people don't get out of the industry entirely.

You were an awesome admin, thummp. I asked you tons of questions and you gave us mods and admins a lot of help with the boards and blogs (I went by "firestar46" in those days). Thank you, and every other contributor large and small, for being fantastic.

1up.com was the best game site for a long time, and had the best community - and the features were before their time. I'm always going to remember that site and its users. I'm always going to remember the great times on its forums. I'm always going to maintain that NGR/Animal House is the greatest Off-Topic forum of all-time.

Sorry to everyone that lost their gigs. Sorry, 1up. :(

FStop7

Banned
Hey

I don't wanna go to work today

Wanna stay home and play my video games

No

I don't wanna take it nice and slow

Wanna get ready to go

On the 1up Show

On the 1up Show

You know you'll be a star

On the 1up Show

You already are

Every day is like a holiday

On the one up one up one up one up show

;_;

btrboyev

I hate to sound insensitive because I don't want to see anyone lose a job they love, but the times are changing and writing about video games just isn't a profitable business anymore. It's time for some if these people to take their writing and editing skills elsewhere.

Harlock

Work with lazy tech guys is the worst thing possible. Nothing can be made, everything takes forever.

Maybe this explain this part:

http://kotaku.com/5986027/ziff-davis-shuts-1up-gamespy-and-ugo

A new head of engineering and technology for IGN will be recruited as quickly as possible.

Top Bottom