• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1up/IGN layoffs part deux [1UP, Gamespy, and UGO being shut down]

Gc-Freak

Banned
Hey

I don't wanna go to work today

Wanna stay home and play my video games

No

I don't wanna take it nice and slow

Wanna get ready to go

On the 1up Show

On the 1up Show

You know you'll be a star

On the 1up Show

You already are

Every day is like a holiday

On the one up one up one up one up show

;_;

wonderful old times...

Hope everyone affected lands on their feet. I was a fan of 1UP's podcasts, especially Retronauts and Active Time Babble (In fact, Kat mentioned that she was originally planning to record a new ATB next week, until this news hit). I also liked Jeremy's refocusing of 1UP into "cover stories," as it made turned out some good, original regular content with such a small staff.

Definitely will miss 1UP.

FStop7

Banned
wonderful old times...

The 1UP Show, 1UP Yours, GFW Radio and the Giant Bombcast were my only links to gaming for over a year when I moved cross country and left all of my consoles, games, etc behind.

The Bombcast is the only one that's left...

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Read bottom to top, obviously.

icu0rMs.jpg

#ESPORTS bubble pop?

Man, I was HARD into IGN from 2006-2010. I lived and breathed that site, every podcast, I knew every writer, etc.

Now I know almost none of them.

I guess you just have to follow the writers, not the sites.

fatty

Is there some way we can back up 1up.com features/reviews and media content such as the 1up Show and Podcasts?

1up.com has always had really great features and focused on subjects that the other big sites never cared for, such as Japan and retro gaming. Just today I browsed over to 1up to have a read of their Kenji Eno interview feature.

As well 1up was a pioneer in original video content and podcasting in the mid-2000s and the 1up Show is a fantastic archive of the launch era of the Wii/PS3/X360 generation.

It would be an immense loss to the gaming community if all of this was lost.

I think I have all of GFW's as well as many of the old Retronauts and 1UP Yours podcasts.

Need to start downloading the later Retronauts and ATB's now.

What I really want to know is if there is some way to preserve some of the articles and blog posts? :(

I never go to gaming sites much anymore but found myself going to 1up for The Grind (RPG Blog) and a lot of Jeremy's articles.

I wouldn't have stumbled upon Etrian Odyssey (and many other games) if it wasn't for Jeremy's recommendations.

Departing Salute - The Best of DS

The Deceptive Beauty of Atari Box Art

1UP's Essential 100

Policenauts and Hideo Kojima's Adventure Game Roots

Balb

Anyone archiving the podcasts? I still listen to them from time to time and I'd like them on my hard drive if the site is going to be shut down.

Really bummed for all of those who got let go. Hope they quickly get back onto their feet.

Man, the video game industry would be scary to work for. It seems really unstable.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
RIP 1UP.com.

Honored to have been a part of 1UP history.

Hope everyone lands safely somewhere.

jozero

Neo Member
Awe man. 1up original crew was what got me really into podcasts.

There is a zine-like movement afoot where a group of writers get together and publish their own magazine. 4 or 5 articles per issues, $2 an issue. Its been formally called subcompact publishing. I hope some of these fine folks get together and start making these mini magazines.

ezekial45

Banned
I wish everyone from these sites well. It's rough out there for game journalists, and I hope you all land on your feet.

I can honestly tell you that 1UP was my go to spot for gaming when I was younger, and it inspired me to be more creative. The 1UP Show was the best videogame web show ever, and seeing a new episode pop up every week was a highlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TfK1tUrGJ4

Hopefully someone will compile all the videos.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Well that downright sucks. Kinda sad to watch 1Up dwindle to nothing :(

Loved Retronauts, and I freelanced for them for a little bit... good times. Alas...

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Sad to see Sam Kennedy waxing poetic about 1up on Facebook. That guy was Gaming Age Forums before NeoGAF was a sparkle in Evilore's eye.

antitrop

I really used to love Broken Pixels with Seanbaby, Crispin Boyer, and The ManGod himself.

Hilarious show, the old episodes are still worth watching.

RedSwirl

Shit man. Been blogging at 1up for.... nine years now?! Fuck. I moved things over to Wordpress last year but kept cross-posting assuming a had a little more time.

I mean, we all knew this day was coming since 2009. I don't think I'll ever be as loyal to a gaming publication as I was to 1up during those old days. There is still nothing quite like 1up Yours, there is still nothing even remotely close to the 1up Show, and no blogging community quite like 1up's.

Just... what happened man?

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
Will the games that used Gamespy for multiplayer still work? Or am I that far behind the curve? I think I played Titan Quest recently with GS.

Top Bottom