• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show 7.13 (Wii Fit, Olympus, Paradise)

jacobs34

I AM JOHN! said:
YES YES YES!

Also wtf @ the ending. :(

Yes, sadly Kathleen is leaving, she talks about it on The Up Show Forum over at 1UP. Also, can't wait for 1 UP Yours, hopefully there will be more Burnout Paradise talk.

alu

KTallguy said:
:lol The worst part of the game, really!

But it's a deceiving game. You're only at the very beginning, so stuff seems simple, but as you continue it gets devilishly hard. The hint system is excellent though, and nudges you in the right direction if you're not sure.

The artstyle fits the platform, I suppose (although it's a little too cute), but the gameplay is too difficult when compared to Carnival Games. It's a shame that it's selling so poorly.

That game always sounded so interesting to me, however what I dislike about it is that during previews people talked about how it punishes you for your mistakes. So you do something wrong and you die, Maniac Mansion-like. I never dug those p&c-adventures. Is that still the case with the retail version?

jacobs34 said:
Yes, sadly Kathleen is leaving, she talks about it on The Up Show Forum over at 1UP. Also, can't wait for 1 UP Yours, hopefully there will be more Burnout Paradise talk.

Aw man. Poor Ryan.

jacobs34 said:
LinXXX or didn't happen! :(

jacobs34

I AM JOHN! said:
LinXXX or didn't happen! :(

No Link But here's the quote...

Have faith, hater! We've got one more episode this season I think I saw this game in action last year @ GDC's indie game showcase. I wish they'd hurry it up with a mac version, tho!

Yep, I am leaving. Not going to a competing website, though. I have this really cool chance to join a start-up and help them perhaps make really, really cool fun stuff for the interwebs. I'm excited/scared/nervous. The team here is the best ANYWHERE and leaving them feels like leaving family, but I'm super excited for the chance to build something new, you know?
I won't go far, though. We want to build out the community with gamers, because while many of you can be real assmonkeys all of you are freaking smart and savvy as hell.

xxoo
~kathleen

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yep, I am leaving. Not going to a competing website, though. I have this really cool chance to join a start-up and help them perhaps make really, really cool fun stuff for the interwebs. I'm excited/scared/nervous. The team here is the best ANYWHERE and leaving them feels like leaving family, but I'm super excited for the chance to build something new, you know?
I won't go far, though. We want to build out the community with gamers, because while many of you can be real assmonkeys all of you are freaking smart and savvy as hell.

xxoo
~kathleen

1up is like...so different than when the 1up show started up

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
skip said:
not permanent, but perhaps more prominent.
This is good news indeed. It feels like you've always been on the show (and not just recording) because you're family with these guys. Not sure about all the Brewers love though.

Y2Kev said:

if Ryan leaves, it is all over.

I still think the biggest lose (I cant believe im comparing these) was Che.

the only good thing about Che leaving is that my Che Chou rookie card is now worth a lot of money, almost as much as my 1/10 scale Luke Smith action figure w/beard

tanod

when is my burrito
Amir0x said:
Luke is trying to imply that yesterday's NPD and bad news for Sony (via the NPD) would be putting people in a bad mood. Of course, he's trying to incite riots for his new Microsoft overlords ;P

Double cellphone POOP-ton has put me in a somewhat sour mood.

Sales weren't anything to be upset over unless your emotional well-being is tied to the sales performance of Zak and Wiki or Uncharted. Pretty healthy numbers all around.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'm sorry to see Kathleen go. :'(

Good luck with wherever you're going todayzee. Come and visit GAF a little more too if you get the chance.

tanod

when is my burrito
50 kbps download. Started the download when I got home from work. An hour and a half to go. So disappointing.

Didn't capnsmak say they were upgrading the servers or something soon?

todayzee

Y2Kev said:

Yeah, but in my opinion it just keeps getting better. That's because it is about the entire team here -- not just one person. Leaving is impossibly hard - like leaving family.
At least I have Minnie...and her many outfits that cause absurd hate in juniors and jerkwads.

One more episode! Anyone got any suggestions for wtf games to talk about? :D

xxoo

fallout

skip said:
Level 1 :) I talk about it on 1up yours today, not-so-in-depth.
... did you get yelled at again like when you tried to talk about Bridge Builder? I think you should seriously get into some hex-grid war games, just to what kind of wonderful reactions you can get!

alu

todayzee said:
Yeah, but in my opinion it just keeps getting better. That's because it is about the entire team here -- not just one person. Leaving is impossibly hard - like leaving family.
At least I have Minnie...and her many outfits that cause absurd hate in juniors and jerkwads.

xxoo

The Witcher, Sim City Societies, World in Conflict, The Witcher.

skip

fallout said:
... did you get yelled at again like when you tried to talk about Bridge Builder? I think you should seriously get into some hex-grid war games, just to what kind of wonderful reactions you can get!

instead of a review podcast, shawn and I are gonna start a math/physics/war-based show.

dkeane

Do a show on all the games that got looked over this fall, and some predictions for the new. New Years resolutions from the 1UP staff?
Although I bet GAF would hate that.

todayzee said:

xxoo

a LTTP: God Hand.

find anyone in the office that recently played God Hand, bring Andrew Fitch in to talk about and also try to get Greg Kasavin there. Just dont let Donahoe in the conversation.

skip said:
instead of a review podcast, shawn and I are gonna start a math/physics/war-based show.
Are you playing the West Point bridge designer? That's the best. We used to have competitions who can make the cheapest bridge or the most expensive one that breaks.

Best free game I ever played I'd say.

Mindlog

skip said:

Good god I'm erect.

Visualante said:
Are you playing the West Point bridge designer? That's the best. We used to have competitions who can make the cheapest bridge or the most expensive one that breaks.

Best free game I ever played I'd say.

I really liked making bridges that worked only once.

+ points for multiple failures -points for expense etc etc

Dante

todayzee said:

xxoo

Go out with a bang.

Street Fighter 4.

YYZ

What do you guys think of Chains of Olympus coming on PS2 sometime early 2009 (so that Chains of Olympus can have at least one holiday season on PSP)? That would be sweet, being able to evade like the other games. Just convenience too. I think I'm going to have to get a PSP really soon, but having Olympus on PS2 would be nice.

tanod

when is my burrito
YYZ said:
What do you guys think of Chains of Olympus coming on PS2 sometime early 2009 (so that Chains of Olympus can have at least one holiday season on PSP)? That would be sweet, being able to evade like the other games. Just convenience too. I think I'm going to have to get a PSP really soon, but having Olympus on PS2 would be nice.

If it was a full year. I'd probably get both. Especially if they souped it up for PS2 with some extra stuff. <3 GoW

Spoilered so the Sony employees browsing with PS3s can't see what I wrote. [/tinfoil hat]

YYZ said:
Sony would be stupid to water down the PSP library further. Ready at Dawn could be doing more than a port, they're clearly capable. Hard to say in their position, I'd definitely want to hold on my ties with Sony as well.

KTallguy

Banned
Good luck Kathleen :)

alu said:
That game always sounded so interesting to me, however what I dislike about it is that during previews people talked about how it punishes you for your mistakes. So you do something wrong and you die, Maniac Mansion-like. I never dug those p&c-adventures. Is that still the case with the retail version?

Yes. The reason it punishes you is so you can't just click on everything wildly and hope something works. There are checkpoints and stuff though, so it's not so bad.

You have a ton of tools that will allow you to figure out what happens if you perform an action. You can look at the entire map at any time. So it's really not a design flaw at all. I like the risk reward. It will hopefully force you to use your head, but that's so out of style these days...

Kildace

The only thing I'll remember from the Wii Fit segment is that Jen looked extremely cute.

Sad to see Kathleen go, hopefully the show won't suffer too much from her departure.

Brashnir

todayzee said:

xxoo

Good luck with your new company. It's gaming-related right? Make sure to keep GAF in the loop. :)

pswii60

Why is every good 1up member leaving?

Luke, John, Mark, now Kathleen. Fucking shit. Real shame. 1up just ain't what it used to be. If Shane leaves, that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I am happy for them, and there's a damn good reason why they're getting the opportunities to move on up.

pswii60 said:
Why is every good 1up member leaving?

Luke, John, Mark, now Kathleen. Fucking shit. Real shame. 1up just ain't what it used to be. If Shane leaves, that's it as far as I'm concerned.

Of course, I am happy for them, and there's a damn good reason why they're getting the opportunities to move on up.
AS long as GFW, Bryan, and Crispin are there it's all good.

Sean

Banned
Jeez, how many people left 1UP in the last year? Che, Jane, Luke, John, Mark, and now Kathleen. That's six off the top of my head and I'm probably forgetting some too...

I swear, it feels like they're being asked to leave just so 1UP Show can have a sad season finale or something. It's always like perfectly timed with the last episode.

I will miss Kathleen and her cute little dog :(

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Tangent: God of War PSP looks freakin awesome. Almost as good as God of War 2 PS2, that's a pretty crazy achievement.

Top Bottom