• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show 7.14 (Aquaria, GT5:P, No More Heroes)

InterMoniker said:
Fuckin both!

I never remember games being graded on price since they're usually all priced the same.

But please forget about Shadowrun being $59 while Warhawk is $39. 40 dollars for warhawk is too much these days man.

Fuck I remember NBA Hangtime for the N64 was way overpriced but I fuckin loved it!
yeah i remember paying over $80 for several games in past generations, and to this day still think they were all money well spent.

JRPereira

moobs_wohlverine_confused.gif

Fine then! You wanted wolverine; you got wolverine.

The GT5 piece was a bit much. Bringing up the whole bumper car angle with no mention of the penalties Polyphony is implementing at all? GT4 in HD etc. Cmon..

Escalation said:
The GT5 piece was a bit much. Bringing up the whole bumper car angle with no mention of the penalties Polyphony is implementing at all? GT4 in HD etc. Cmon..

I don't think any of them played the game that far.

Ynos Yrros said:
There will be damage in GT5. But I really couldn't care less about visual side of it. It's cool to have it, but it doesn't add anything to the gameplay. Whenever I crash, I usually just restart the race, but it happens oh so rarely. Unless someone drives up my back I finish most races without a scratch. When you get gimped for the entirety of the race, what is the reason to continue when you have no chance of winning? You won't improve your lines either when your car sways to one side or the other.

Penalties as shown in GT5P are the way to go IMO in a simulation racing games.

ok wait a sec. from what you just said, you don't like cosmetic damage, you don't like simulation damage.. you don't like damage period. you want penalties and that's realistic?

it's quite simple, really. if you don't want your car "gimped" for the rest of the race, don't run into people.

if you're any indication of the GT5 fanbase, then PD will be pretty disappointed in spending so much time modeling damage if no one wants it. i think we better tell them to stop and put their time into something else while there's still time.

oh and i just realized you're talking about single player. i am thinking multiplayer here all the way. penalties like this in multiplayer = lame.

Zaptruder

Banned
Watching the thing right now, and the things they're bitching about makes me doubt the journalistic integrity of the whole show.

I'm keeping my ear to the floor closer for this game than most... and the kinds of inaccuracies they spew out about the game is just shocking.

It's not even like Ryan Mcdonald is sitting there playing devil's advocate; he's just spouting shit and they're nodding in agreement.

40 bucks for a demo? Has more content than a lot of racing games. It's something that's intended for hardcore GT fans... and the inference there is that, a driving game with that level of accuracy will keep players involved for a very long time. Especially when you start throwing in multiplayer and GTTV and what not into this bad boy.

All I see in the footage is them racing around in a shitty C class car. Couldn't even build up enough cash to buy a faster car, and they're sitting around bitching?

They call it bumper cars, but don't get far enough into the game to test the new penalty system?

For the PD; yeah, they did need to dedicate some of their 100 man team into getting this out into game form, but the importance of the feedback they're going to get from their hardcore fans and the game and especially online is going to far outweigh the the development time for polishing up this 'half' release.

You don't get that kind of insight into the discussion. Instead, all I'm hearing is them sitting around and voicing the complaints of the stupid and ignorant.

Well fuck Ryan Mac; if you're thinking it's just another game, then obviously prologue is not for you, regardless of the price.

SeaOfMadness said:
ok wait a sec. from what you just said, you don't like cosmetic damage, you don't like simulation damage.. you don't like damage period. you want penalties and that's realistic?

it's quite simple, really. if you don't want your car "gimped" for the rest of the race, don't run into people.

if you're any indication of the GT5 fanbase, then PD will be pretty disappointed in spending so much time modeling damage if no one wants it. i think we better tell them to stop and put their time into something else while there's still time.

oh and i just realized you're talking about single player. i am thinking multiplayer here all the way. penalties like this in multiplayer = lame.
Yeah, I don't really like damage, unless I'm in a very long race I restart everytime I bust up my car. It's not that I don't want it, it's that I seriously don't need it, and don't see it's purpose.
It does make the game more realistic, but it dosn't make it better IMO, not in case of racing simulators. When you crash your game is over, how fun is it?

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
SeaOfMadness said:

I think most people would want damage in GT5, the problem is most people can't or won't drive correctly in online play. Forza probably nails it down the best when it comes to penalising you but you can definitely gain an advantage by sideswiping cars around corners and doing other things that would get you banned from if you were in a professional racing league.

And if you some how manage to be with a bunch of people that can drive correctly, you're not going to have that kind of problem and if someone does screw up they're going to be essentially out of the race anyway as they wouldn't have nearly enough time to catch back up unless you were running a long endurance, which most people wouldn't do anyway.

kassatsu

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
so i'm listening to 1upYours and even the Mangod Garnett Lee is down on GT5P (and shockingly, Shane too)
It seems Garnett hasn't got to the penalty part of the game yet either =\

Baryn

Banned
Ryan might have some unique perspectives on gaming (Assassin's Creed, Dementium come to mind), but he always speaks his mind rationally as he sees it. I never sense any agenda or pretension from him.

So fucking rude, some of you! This isn't the kind of attention you want.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I just ordered GT5P with a 5 dollar of coupon, but im euro so if i waited id play it in 2009 lol. But seriously this ep was pretty good, awesome hype for sf4, i was actually leaning to see if i could peak past them, how retarded is that :lol

The guys talking about No More Heroes are pretty good as well, liked that segment.

I could see what ryan means with GT5P Price, but i just got a G25 wheel so i kinda needed to get this :p

Sad to see Kathleen go, hope you have fun at your new job :)

Baryn said:
Ryan might have some unique perspectives on gaming (Assassin's Creed, Dementium come to mind), but he always speaks his mind rationally as he sees it. I never sense any agenda or pretension from him.

So fucking rude, some of you! This isn't the kind of attention you want.
Well if only he seen more than half an hour into GT5P, oh what a preview it would be.

Baryn

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Well if only he seen more than half an hour into GT5P, oh what a preview it would be.
I've seen people here bash games with even less (zero) experience playing them, and they don't even get the shit flamed out of them!

Zaptruder said:
40 bucks for a demo? Has more content than a lot of racing games.

uh name a similar racing game that came out this year that it has more content than?

they said it was basically "half" a game. is that not accurate? how many cars? 40+? tracks? where's the upgrading, tuning, customization, etc...?

he was complaining it doesn't come close to the feature set of previous GT games. i don't think that can be argued. he was saying GT fans love the upgrading and customization. with that stuff missing, is it really worth the price?

Baryn said:
I've seen people here bash games with even less (zero) experience playing them, and they don't even get the shit flamed out of them!
but what game?

you're not gonna get flamed for not liking assassin's creed, for example.

SeaOfMadness said:
uh name a similar racing game that came out this year that it has more content than?

they said it was basically "half" a game. is that not accurate? how many cars? 40+? tracks? where's the upgrading, tuning, customization, etc...?

he was complaining it doesn't come close to the feature set of previous GT games. i don't think that can be argued. he was saying GT fans love the upgrading and customization. with that stuff missing, is it really worth the price?
GT4 proloue only had Arcade and License tests. And GT fans love perfecting their times. Give me a car I can fall in love with, a track that puts me to the limits, and amazing PD attention to details, and I'm on it like mayo on egg.

Ynos Yrros said:
GT4 proloue only had Arcade and License tests. And GT fans love perfecting their times. Give me a car I can fall in love with, a track that puts me to the limits, and amazing PD attention to details, and I'm on it like mayo on egg.

so why do they bother spending so much time on all those cars and tracks? that's mostly why the game is delayed, right? modeling cockpit views for hundreds of cars takes forever.

I don't know if its my in-laws cable internet or what, but it took 8 FUCKING HOURS to download this thing from Zune Marketplace. It usually takes about 3 minutes on my DSL connection at home...

SeaOfMadness said:
so why do they bother spending so much time on all those cars and tracks? that's mostly why the game is delayed, right? modeling cockpit views for hundreds of cars takes forever.
There's millions of people who love different cars, that, and GT has always been a car encyclopedia of sort. You seem to be really bitter because GT5 is turning out to be what GT1 and then GT3 have been.

Prologue is released for fans who are ready to spend the money to get into the game early, and know what to expect. Yes, for most people, being able to drive those perfectly crafted cars around amazing tracks and comparing their times is worth the price, those people will also buy the full product. They see GT5P for what it is, only to them racing those amazing cars in GT holds more value than to 1up staff, that didn't even feel like getting through the lowest class of racing and even buying a second car.

When I'm hooked on a racing gam, I can play it for hours upon hours straigh, even though I'm not an exceptional gamer when it comes to them. I could play GT1 and 2 for 12 hours straight (with eating brakes of course) as a kid, I played PGR2 for hours using GT2 on Nurburgring just to cut seconds off my time. I'm playing GT5P right now, still didn't get too the car I wish to test, but I'm hooked, if I didn't have other things to do I could be playing for hours upon hours, because the game just fel great.

To me, 49 something € I had to spend on it feels like nothing, because I'm getting so much enjoyment out of it. I don't expect someone who haven't played it to understand.

The funny thing is, all your "sincere opinions" revolve around things you don't know much about. You started by "so, did they fix that?" to "but it doesn't have...". What will you do when GT5 comes out? Seriousl man, if you're not buying the game anyways, why do you feel obliged to put it down on fronts you know nothing about?

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Ok show but again I wasn't massively interested in a lot of the content. The Shane Halo sketch was very good :lol

Oh and good luck to Kathleen with her new job.

Vish

Banned
I love Gran Turismo, even made a bushido account to download the prologue demo and all but...I am not getting Prologue.

I'll just wait until the actual game comes out in 09 (will probably be delayed).

I wish they would further progress the AI and though. I bet Car tuning will be there when GT5 releases.

Aquaria looks cool and No More Heroes looks decent as well, i'll probably be picking that one up. Its no 5 star action game but it'll be entertaining. NMH reminds me of God Hand a bit cutscene and humor wise.

USC-fan

Banned
binaryburrito said:
Of course I know that... but if you've ever heard developers talk about what a bitch it is to polish their e3 demos, you know that when you decide to release a slice of a game to the public, you've got to polish it all up... and that's contrary to the way the development process works... the polishing comes at the end.

...so for the team to polish this product, one must assume that resources have been shuffled to make it a reality. i'd personally rather if prologue didn't exist, that they were solely working on gt5 proper, and that the next real showing would be a demo made for a game convention (or preferably on psn) or something much closer to the time of release. and this demo should be free.

and if they needed a beta to test online functionality, release a free beta. that's how it's supposed to work.
there is a demo for GT5P and gt5hd.

Anyway haven't you thought the prologue could be adding to the resources of the GT5? They will be able to have a bigger budget/team because this prologue will sell well[already 100k+ in jpn]. Releasing this for free would be a big mistake because like you said it would have taken resources away from the final game.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
BSTF said:
Besides the lower resolution/color depth, there isn't much of a difference.

The hell?

What else can you do with 2D besides resolution and color depth?

Brashnir

Good show. Did Shane actually play any Halo, or did he leave the room the second they shut off the camera?

Good luck with the new gig, Kathleen. I take it we won't be able to watch you on the Fyreball Show every week. Signed up for the beta, whatever your product/application/thing is.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so anyway, ive been trying to download the 1up theme song for about a year now and i think im finally about to crack.

anyone know where i can get it?!

edit: i finally found it! now to listen to it for 83 hours on repeat :D

voltron

Sad to see you go Kathleen. Intelligence usually breeds cynicism and you were certainly cynical. Another 1up super mega wonder star leaves hey...

And yeah I hate to admit it but I have no idea what Fyreball will actually be all about. Too much marketing speak ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
SeaOfMadness said:

Ferrari Racing Challenge!

Zaptruder

Banned
Vish said:
I love Gran Turismo, even made a bushido account to download the prologue demo and all but...I am not getting Prologue.

I'll just wait until the actual game comes out in 09 (will probably be delayed).

I wish they would further progress the AI and though. I bet Car tuning will be there when GT5 releases.

Aquaria looks cool and No More Heroes looks decent as well, i'll probably be picking that one up. Its no 5 star action game but it'll be entertaining. NMH reminds me of God Hand a bit cutscene and humor wise.

If you love GT, because you like perfecting driving, then just get it anyway. Well worth it, even if it's not nearly as expansive as a full GT game.

The AI though is much improved. Play the game in full sim mode and no aids to experience a real challenge.

chickensoup said:
Does anyone know what the music in the ad is? Was it made special for the ad, or is it a real licensed track?
"Ladies and Gentlemen" by Saliva.

It was the Wrestlemania theme this year, too.

Kbsmoker said:
there is a demo for GT5P and gt5hd.

Anyway haven't you thought the prologue could be adding to the resources of the GT5? They will be able to have a bigger budget/team because this prologue will sell well[already 100k+ in jpn]. Releasing this for free would be a big mistake because like you said it would have taken resources away from the final game.

i say more power to pd if they wanna sell a "demo" version of prologue (with online play...thats what the haters like to ignore)......GT4 had 2 prologues/concepts and no one really complained, but now on ps3 its a BFD because its now cool to hate anything PS3-related. I say PD has been more than generous with giving users a taste of GT5 from the GTHD demo last year to this years GT5 Prologue Demo. What other game company releases two free demos for a game years before the launch?
I would pay $40 for the online portion of GT5P since its a whole new part of racing that PD is taking on. fk the haters this game will be racing GOD

frAntic_Frog said:
i say more power to pd if they wanna sell a "demo" version of prologue (with online play...thats what the haters like to ignore)......GT4 had 2 prologues/concepts and no one really complained, but now on ps3 its a BFD because its now cool to hate anything PS3-related. I say PD has been more than generous with giving users a taste of GT5 from the GTHD demo last year to this years GT5 Prologue Demo. What other game company releases two free demos for a game years before the launch?
I would pay $40 for the online portion of GT5P since its a whole new part of racing that PD is taking on. fk the haters this game will be racing GOD

Yes they did.

Mashing

Geez.... did the really need to include that PS3 commercial three times? I just fast forwarded past it the 2nd and third time.

Top Bottom