• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show 7.14 (Aquaria, GT5:P, No More Heroes)

BigBoss said:
Did it set a precedent when Polyphony did the same thing last gen? Whats funny about this whole Prologue situation is that nobody cared last gen when Polyphony did the same thing but when they do it on the PS3 its suddenly become such a huge issue.

Well that is certainly not the angle I am coming from.

I just think this concept has been highlighted for examination in the current climate of DLC.

pj

Banned
teepo said:
kathleen.jpg

guy-on-home.jpg

fixed

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
And given the sheer amount of time it takes Polyphony to make "HD upgrades" in the style they are doing them, I don't think Prologue is a terrible idea.

Wish it was 29.99 though.

Tieno

edit: damn, this is getting nasty.
Goldrusher said:
wtf?

That's not possible in Belgium.
KULeuven University PC rooms, it's on a big ass huge connection. I go there to download big files. Because here in my little room I'm connected to the regular Kotnet with a download cap of 4gb per month and 50-60kb/s max.

BigBoss said:
Whats funny about this whole Prologue situation is that nobody cared last gen when Polyphony did the same thing but when they do it on the PS3 its suddenly become such a huge issue.

That's what I was going to say about Ryan. When talking about the mechanics, he says he could just go play GT4:p if he wanted his GT fix and two minutes earlier, bitching about paying for a half game. Which it isn't btw, GT5:p is more like an 1/8 of a game, well an 1/8 of GT5 anyway.

Bye Kat.

Pimpwerx said:
Not apparent at all in the video. I listened to the whole thing. They bitch about the online mode being delayed in a game that's really a glorified demo. But then they don't spend nearly as much time discussing why 16 player online is worth the wait. It's twice what the direct competition offers (FM2) and anyone who's played the demo know already that traffic adds an entirely new element to the game. Winning races isn't going to be a walk in the park with that level of competition. Oh...but it's delayed...waaaah! Maybe they'd have been happier had PD just delayed Prologue altogether. Or maybe it'd just be something else to bitch about. PEACE.

how can they? they haven't been able to play it yet! all they could say is "it sure would be nice to play online with 16 players. i bet it's great".

but no one outside of PD knows how it plays with 16 players yet. the first taste we will get is on the 25th (assuming that isn't delayed).

BigBoss

Opus Angelorum said:
Well that is certainly not the angle I am coming from.

I just think this concept has been highlighted for examination in the current climate of DLC.

I know, my statement wasn't really aimed at you. There just seems to be a lot of people complaining about an issue they didn't care about a couple years ago.

Y2Kev said:
And given the sheer amount of time it takes Polyphony to make "HD upgrades" in the style they are doing them, I don't think Prologue is a terrible idea.

Wish it was 29.99 though.

Yeah that statement about "HD upgrade" was just lame. It did sound like he had some sort of grudge with someone at PD or some shit.

Opus Angelorum said:
I understand that it offers more than a standard demo.

My real concern is not related specifically to GT5:p, with the current state of DLC I'm just worried that the idea of paying for a 'demo' of a game might set a precedent.

ding, ding, ding!

BigBoss said:
There just seems to be a lot of people complaining about an issue they didn't care about a couple years ago.

Personally my expectations for 'gaming value' have been elevated this generation by the likes of Halo 3 and the Orange Box, I think that is what Ryan was eluding to.

Again, I've no issue with GT5:p itself but the marketing that surrounds it.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Hesemonni said:
:lol @ pics

from what ive seen...

ngogaf posters are probably ugly ugly people who think they look ok. this is one of the bitterest boards on the net for a reason.

SPEA

WTF at this thread?! Are we 12?

Have some freaking respect. I'm sure you are all super models sitting behind your keyboards. Grow up.

Edit:
Laguna X said:
QFT. If there was ever a thread that shows how bad NeoGAF has gotten, this is it.

Yup Exactly. To make matters worse, a mod (EviLore), basically started the whole thing.

Gowans

as always great show,

Aquaria looked fab, I agreed with a tonne of the points in the GT5:p segment and No More Heros well, hmm.. Im just not digging it at all, the art on SD might be part of it for me.

Good Luck Kathleen on your Digg/Social/Bookmark thingy-me-bob (signed up for the beta), you were one of the peeps out thier whos opinion was valued.

And with this the 1up show becomes a sausage fest ;)

Pimpwerx

SeaOfMadness said:
how can they? they haven't been able to play it yet! all they could say is "it sure would be nice to play online with 16 players. i bet it's great".

but no one outside of PD knows how it plays with 16 players yet. the first taste we will get is on the 25th (assuming that isn't delayed).
So then, do you maybe try to be objective and balance what you know with what you don't know? It was Ryan bitching about what wasn't there and that's about it. I don't know anymore about GT5P now than I did before. But I sure as shit know it's missing online mode. PEACE.

Stop shitting up my thread Juniors.

I'm shocked people are defending GT5 Prologue. Wouldn't you rather spend $40 on cars and tracks that will be made available as an addition to the final game? I'm not paying that to play early, I'm shocked it has no tuning- I hope everyone buys Paradise and falls in love with its online instead of buying this glorified beta test.

What's next, charging for Home beta and Little Big Planet prologue?

jett

D-Member
Can't blame Ryan for not finding GT5 exciting, it really is basically the same old shit. Personally, I was tired of it by GT3...but I still bought GT4 anyway. :p GT1's still the only one that really hooked me.

No More Heroes looks like dogshit.

Aquaria is totally awesome, the demo is great.

I bet SF4 will look pretty assy.

edit: :lol HOLY SHIT at this thread. And I thought I was the resident asshole.

vpance

Visualante said:
I'm shocked people are defending GT5 Prologue. Wouldn't you rather spend $40 on cars and tracks that will be made available as an addition to the final game? I'm not paying that to play early, I'm shocked it has no tuning- I hope everyone buys Paradise and falls in love with its online instead of buying this glorified beta test.

It's a game for the fans. They get a taste of GT they've been waiting so long for, now, as opposed to at least a year later. Also from Polyphony's point of view, the prologue keeps the GT series in the public's mind and makes them some easy cash. It's worse business to not keep the franchise active out there in some form.

Pimpwerx

Visualante said:

Domestic pricing is still unknown afaik, as is an official release date.

You are clearly not a fan, so you would not understand why some of us will gladly pay for Prologue. It's worth it to a large number of people. It's far from a beta test. The feature set of this "beta test" alone puts most others to shame. I don't like the idea of a Prologue, but I'm ready to pay for the sneak preview all the same. Why? IT'S WORTH IT. Maybe not to you, but you're not the intended target of the game anyway. PD knows its fanbase. PEACE.

Unison

SPEA said:
WTF at this thread?! Are we 12?

Have some freaking respect. I'm sure you are all super models sitting behind your keyboards. Grow up.

Edit:

Yup Exactly. To make matters worse, a mod (EviLore), basically started the whole thing.

1196063596066.jpg

Visualante said:

No one tells you to pay for it :/. In fact, it's not even out yet outside Japan. GT5P is made for enthusiasts, oh, and it's the best racing game around minus the ammount of content.

1Up is good at trolling PS3, and it's obvious what they are doing, just read their GT5P preview.

"GT5P is made for enthusiasts, oh, and it's the best racing game around minus the ammount of content."

What are you comparing it to? Unless GT5P Magically got significantly better AI + car damage, it's still a scrubby Sim.

vpance said:
It's a game for the fans. They get a taste of GT they've been waiting so long for, now, as opposed to at least a year later. Also from Polyphony's point of view, the prologue keeps the GT series in the public's mind and makes them some easy cash. It's worse business to not keep the franchise active out there in some form.
Fans have bought a lot of copies of this game, they're very loyal. Myself included.
I don't consider this a game for me.

The fact that GT5:p is cut back in terms of tuning, cars and tracks means they could give it away for free and simply cut the online services from it when GT5 drops. It's a natural progression anyone would want to take who enjoys the game.

I'd argue that if anything, fans aren't dying out for a taste of GT. Sony is worried that they'll forget it even exists.

Bookey

Professional Monk
Some of the things they brought were legit concerns for gt5p but man if youre not at least doing a/s class races and using pro physics how can you say its just like the older games in the series.

avaya

Pimpwerx said:
You are clearly not a fan, so you would not understand why some of us will gladly pay for Prologue. It's worth it to a large number of people. It's far from a beta test. The feature set of this "beta test" alone puts most others to shame. I don't like the idea of a Prologue, but I'm ready to pay for the sneak preview all the same. Why? IT'S WORTH IT. Maybe not to you, but you're not the intended target of the game anyway. PD knows its fanbase. PEACE.

Agreed.

Off-topic, do you post anymore at Planet-F1? I remember you tearing it up there with the anti's :lol

SeaOfMadness said:
i agree. i made the same points in the GT5P thread and caught some flak for it. but i agree with what he said. that's exactly how i feel. it's not a demo. no one would pay for a demo. it's not even a beta.

it's a finished "game" that's a stopgap solution to appease the hardcore fans and give everyone hope that GT5 is on the horizon.

but besides the obvious graphical upgrades, what does GT5P offer that other racers haven't already done? not much. what does it *not* offer? plenty. all the stuff he mentioned, in fact. like him, i want GT5, not this version.
What does it offer:
- best racing physics seen in a console game (quite possibly in any racing game)
- races with 16 cars at once
- graphics accuracy that kills anything else
- only accurate simulation of cars like GTR 09, EvoX and Audi R8
- GODLY interface

Yep, totally worth 50$, lol 50$ is like 3 hours of work.

What are you comparing it to? Unless GT5P Magically got significantly better AI + car damage, it's still a scrubby Sim.
It did get significantly better AI, I couldn't care less about crashes as long as there's a good penalty system implemented.

And yeah, the way GT fans receive it shows that it's a game for enhusiasts, while some folks find it to be a pricey demo, I find it to be a glimpse of the next big thing that I am lucky to get.

What is to stop any other publisher releasing a game that is 10% feature complete and expect people to pay $40/£25 for it?

I understand there is a percentage of hardcore users that will always be willing to pay for any related content, but at what point does this alienate everyone else?

damn, people sure love to leave 1up.
i initially didn't like kathleen on the 1up show, but grew accustomed to her after a while, sad to see someone else go.

:lol :lol :lol @ shane playing Halo 3

*marks 2008 calendar with 'WARNING DO NOT WATCH 1UP E3 FOOTAGE'*

wow, aquaria looks neat.

why all the hate on the GT5P conversation?
from how they described it, it sounds like BOHICA
$40, no car tinkering, and the online isnt up until 2 weeks after release?
where do i sign, amirite?

the gameplay in NMH looked iffy, but that freelancer really made the segment entertaining

sonicspear64 said:
Didn't know Ray had such big moobs :lol.
i was wonderingif someone would bring that up...

IzumiK

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
So just because they've done it before means that it's okay to ask you to potentially invest $100 in the game? Great logic there.

Famitsu says a $40 demo scored better than Halo 3.

Opus Angelorum said:
What is to stop any other publisher releasing a game that is 10% feature complete and expect people to pay $40/£25 for it?

I understand there is a percentage of hardcore users that will always be willing to pay for any related content, but at what point does this alienate everyone else?
Yeah, but then compare it to Juiced 2, or NFS Pro. The game has quite a few cars, 8 different tracks, and features that you won't find anywhere else. When you compare it to full product, it's not even half a game, but when you compare it to competition, it can stand up tall.

And then again, if you don't like the franchise in the first place, or you haven't played it, or you don't even want to play it, then why would you care?

Top Bottom