• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Show 7.14 (Aquaria, GT5:P, No More Heroes)

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
seriously looking forward to the SF showing next week. Please pick that shit apart so bad you can tell what Ono had for breakfast when this project was green-lit.

Opus Angelorum said:
Is that a direct question?
It's rethorical, people who aren't enthusiasts wouldn't buy it anyway, what is the bitching for?

I'm glad that I can play the game already and work on my times early, so then when I get online (if ever ;( ) I can see my name on the leaderboards.

Ynos Yrros said:
Yeah, but then compare it to Juiced 2, or NFS Pro. The game has quite a few cars, 8 different tracks, and features that you won't find anywhere else. When you compare it to full product, it's not even half a game, but when you compare it to competition, it can stand up tall.

And then again, if you don't like the franchise in the first place, or you haven't played it, or you don't even want to play it, then why would you care?
The problem is that it is the hardcore fans you speak of. Like Ryan, myself and others in this thread are having doubts about it as well.

Sony is all about expanding this franchise to car fans with GT TV, GT is a game that transcends the hardcore gamer crowd. Stop acting like this is some elite fan service.
It's meant to get people into the franchise and buy a PS3 instead of a Forza 2 bundle not alienate them with high price.

antiloop

Visualante said:
Stop shitting up my thread Juniors.

I'm shocked people are defending GT5 Prologue. Wouldn't you rather spend $40 on cars and tracks that will be made available as an addition to the final game? I'm not paying that to play early, I'm shocked it has no tuning- I hope everyone buys Paradise and falls in love with its online instead of buying this glorified beta test.

What's next, charging for Home beta and Little Big Planet prologue?

No one is forcing you to buy stuff. You aren't one to judge if a product is worth it's price for other people.

Don't forget that GT5:p will get free updates until GT5 hits.

todayzee said:
s503579794_24831.jpg

DUMBO.jpg

Does EviLore feel inadequate around him?
just kidding mang

Fyreball is a web 2.0 link/content sharing app. We're working on many of the features, but basically we're trying to create a richer, cooler, more playful way of sharing and filtering stuff on the internet with your friends.

xxoo

:lol :lol :lol Oh man!

Ynos Yrros said:
It's rhetorical, people who aren't enthusiasts wouldn't buy it anyway, what is the bitching for?

So are you saying everyone who enjoys playing the GT franchise will buy GT5:p, because I think your idea of an enthusiast is somewhat insular.

Opus Angelorum said:
So are you saying everyone who enjoys playing the GT franchise will buy GT5:p, because I think your idea of an enthusiast is somewhat insular.
i think Ynos Yrros means that everyone who buys gt5p is a real enthusiast, and everyone who doesn't, isn't.

The Faceless Master said:
i think Ynos Yrros means that everyone who buys gt5p is a real enthusiast, and everyone who doesn't, isn't.

He is, but I think the term enthusiast is being somewhat stretched in this instance.

Visualante said:
The problem is that it is the hardcore fans you speak of. Like Ryan, myself and others in this thread are having doubts about it as well.

Sony is all about expanding this franchise to car fans with GT TV, GT is a game that transcends the hardcore gamer crowd. Stop acting like this is some elite fan service.
It's meant to get people into the franchise and buy a PS3 instead of a Forza 2 bundle not alienate them with high price.

It is fan service. GT4P sold 1.5m units. GT4 sold 6+m units. People realise the difference and the sales indicate that. It is for hardcore fans and as the hardcore fans people that purchase GT5P will be the ones giving Polyphony feedback on what they do and don't like and that'll be what helps make GT5.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The music during the beginning of the (when Kathleen walks in) Aquaria section has a sample ripped from a jean-luc ponty song??

Sorry, Aquaria just doesn't look interesting to me. And the dialog is just barf.

vpance

Visualante said:
Fans have bought a lot of copies of this game, they're very loyal. Myself included.
I don't consider this a game for me.

The fact that GT5:p is cut back in terms of tuning, cars and tracks means they could give it away for free and simply cut the online services from it when GT5 drops. It's a natural progression anyone would want to take who enjoys the game.

I'm a fan of it too and I also haven't bought prologue either. But I wouldn't harbor contempt towards them. As for if they could have included x or y feature but didn't, it's not something we should comment on since none of us work there and know how far along they are. I tend to think that stuff is 'missing' because it's not up to snuff yet. Which is why they'll have updates for GT5P whenever new features are ready to go.

I'd argue that if anything, fans aren't dying out for a taste of GT. Sony is worried that they'll forget it even exists.

Well if the fans aren't dying for it then they're probably forgetting about it too. Good thing they released prologue otherwise there'd be no massive thread about it on GAF and they'd be forgetting even more :D

jett said:
Can't blame Ryan for not finding GT5 exciting, it really is basically the same old shit. Personally, I was tired of it by GT3...but I still bought GT4 anyway. :p GT1's still the only one that really hooked me.

No More Heroes looks like dogshit.

Aquaria is totally awesome, the demo is great.

I bet SF4 will look pretty assy.

edit: :lol HOLY SHIT at this thread. And I thought I was the resident asshole.
:lol

Oh yeah and everyone is acting like this is the first prologue ever. It's not.

Can we keep the talk around the games and not make fun of the personalities please. Methinks that some have gone too far here, and the dude did not look too comfortable on camera. Just sayin.

Anyway, I think that they did a much better job cutting Prologue piece as opposed to the Mass Effect piece. And the gameplay of GT is what finally turned me away. To see the same- smash into another car in a corner- tactics work in the game today is troubling. Glad someone said it.

Jacobi said:
Man what the hell happened to GAF... It wasn't always like this.
what?

the whole dissing people's looks thing?

or the $30 is too much for a real game, but $40 is a great deal for a demo thing?

or the combination of the two?

sp0rsk said:
The music during the beginning of the (when Kathleen walks in) Aquaria section has a sample ripped from a jean-luc ponty song??

Sorry, Aquaria just doesn't look interesting to me. And the dialog is just barf.

Even though Aquaria doesn't bowl me over I would like to talk about the significance of them devoting so much time to an indie title. I thought it was great of them to do so, though I fear that it was very much convenient for them to do so because he's based in SF. I'd like to see much more of that on the show. I'll admit to be very ignorant about it and I'm really into games. But, I'm taking more and more notice and being driven to support that side of the industry.

Well, that's that, but it's not like price was his only complaint. It was so apprent, yet again, that NONE of people talking about GTP was an enthusiast, or even a fan, or even a follower.

Maybe they played it for 2 hours (that's a max, or they just suck), and it's apparent when you lsiten to what they're saying. They don't mention the penalty system and say that throwing yourself into opponents is the way to play the game, they didn't notice advanced physics, they didn't noticed improved AI. No woner they only shown the Golf, they didn't get anything else yet.
The one point that they got right was that people love tweaking and tuning the cars, that's true. But it has two sides to it, it's actually great to compare your times directly to others knowing that you had the exact same setup, but on the other side, it's awesome to compare different builds of the same car.

Bryan gave himself out saying that if he want GT he can just play GT3 or GT4, and GT5P is just that with HD graphics. He could have at least finish with the classic "I will still buy it".

sprsk

I hate Gran Turismo and even I thought that section was a little ridiculous.

That Terry guy ripped off my NMH sentence punctuation metaphor!

Ynos Yrros said:
Well, that's that, but it's not like price was his only complaint. It was so apprent, yet again, that NONE of people talking about GTP was an enthusiast, or even a fan, or even a follower.

Bryan gave himself out saying that if he want GT he can just play GT3 or GT4, and GT5P is just that with HD graphics. He could have at least finish with the classic "I will still buy it".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said that he had everything but the concept games... not following indeed.

sprsk

binaryburrito said:
You Japanese gamers are willing to pay too much :)

I, for one, ain't paying shit for a demo. But I think the concerns about the final title were a little premature.

sp0rsk said:
I, for one, ain't paying shit for a demo. But I think the concerns about the final title were a little premature.

I'm not condemning the final game yet. I'm sure it's gonna be good; though I'd imagine feature for feature, I'm still going to appreciate what the competition offers more...

But I'd just rather they spend their time working on the final game...

Arnie

Ynos Yrros said:
What does it offer:
- only accurate simulation of cars like GTR 09, EvoX and Audi R8

Actually my furry friend, Turn 10 released their latest batch of excellent dlc for Forza 2 which coincidentally includes the Audi R8. Plus when i hit the car in front at 150 Kph, chances are, my car wont be in one piece.

The Faceless Master said:
what?

the whole dissing people's looks thing?

or the $30 is too much for a real game, but $40 is a great deal for a demo thing?

or the combination of the two?
Fuckin both!

I never remember games being graded on price since they're usually all priced the same.

But please forget about Shadowrun being $59 while Warhawk is $39. 40 dollars for warhawk is too much these days man.

Fuck I remember NBA Hangtime for the N64 was way overpriced but I fuckin loved it!
sp0rsk said:
sp0rsk said:
I hate Gran Turismo and even I thought that section was a little ridiculous.

That Terry guy ripped off my NMH sentence punctuation metaphor!
Hell yeah sp0rsk.

Jibber Hack said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he said that he had everything but the concept games... not following indeed.
If he would be following it, he would know what GT5P offers, he obviously doesn't if it's only improvement over earlier installments is presentation. Things that they talked about simply aren't true. I won't even talk about different physics models, cause it's not an English release (but then again if you follow the game, you would know that it's there), but if you crash into someone penalty system goes in and all you can do is watch others go by.

I also like how he had to think about the games he owned, a true fan indeed.

Actually my furry friend, Turn 10 released their latest batch of excellent dlc for Forza 2 which coincidentally includes the Audi R8. Plus when i hit the car in front at 150 Kph, chances are, my car wont be in one piece.
My bad. I'm offline so I wouldn't know. There's no game that has realistic crash physics. It wouldn't be fun to see the game over sign after every collision. I do like crashes, bt I think that a penalty system is actually better (games should have both), because you learn to drive properly without having to restard every 10 seconds.

Arnie

Ynos Yrros said:
I do like crashes, bt I think that a penalty system is actually better (games should have both), because you learn to drive properly without having to restard every 10 seconds.

Forza 2 has both. There is substantial exterior car damage, although it is not fully realisitc, races arent over when you have minor crashes. If you dont want the fear of collisions you can choose to do time trials where you drive the only car on the track. Plus i believe you should do some research because you gain a time penalty on Forza 2 for:

1) Colliding with another car on the track.
2) Colliding with the course barriers.
3) Driving out of the designated race track, for example: Driving on the grass.

Im not trying to compare any games im just suggesting you check out Forza 2 because you sound like a racing sim kind of guy and i found it the most realistic racing sim i have ever played.

-ARNiE- said:
Forza 2 has both. There is substantial exterior car damage, although it is not fully realisitc, races arent over when you have minor crashes. If you dont want the fear of collisions you can choose to do time trials where you drive the only car on the track. Plus i believe you should do some research because you gain a time penalty on Forza 2 for:

1) Colliding with another car on the track.
2) Colliding with the course barriers.
3) Driving out of the designated race track, for example: Driving on the grass.

Im not trying to compare any games im just suggesting you check out Forza 2 because you sound like a racing sim kind of guy and i found it the most realistic racing sim i have ever played.
I own both Forzas. What you're talking about is time penalty which only has effect on your lap time, and not on your position. I GT5P the penalty limits your speed for a certain ammount of time, so you lose positions. And in GT5P, since you drive a production car with no upgrades, losing position is a big thing.

Ynos Yrros said:
I own both Forzas. What you're talking about is time penalty which only has effect on your lap time, and not on your position. I GT5P the penalty limits your speed for a certain ammount of time, so you lose positions. And in GT5P, since you drive a production car with no upgrades, losing position is a big thing.

turning on simulation damage in forza 2 has the same effect, and is more realistic. if you ram another car, your car will get damaged and it will drive slower for the rest of the race.

in the absence of real damage, the penalty system is the only other way to do it. that said, forza 3 should think about that as well.

Arnie

Ynos Yrros said:

Thanks for the info that sounds fairly interesting, i might have to import the japanese GT5P on my bros PS3.

-ARNiE- said:
but there's no penalty!

t1_sosa1_si.jpg

SeaOfMadness said:
turning on simulation damage in forza 2 has the same effect, and is more realistic. if you ram another car, your car will get damaged and it will drive slower for the rest of the race.

in the absence of real damage, the penalty system is the only other way to do it. that said, forza 3 should think about that as well.
There will be damage in GT5. But I really couldn't care less about visual side of it. It's cool to have it, but it doesn't add anything to the gameplay. Whenever I crash, I usually just restart the race, but it happens oh so rarely. Unless someone drives up my back I finish most races without a scratch. When you get gimped for the entirety of the race, what is the reason to continue when you have no chance of winning? You won't improve your lines either when your car sways to one side or the other.

Penalties as shown in GT5P are the way to go IMO in a simulation racing games.

Top Bottom