• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours – 12/19/08

DuckRacer

Monsterland said:
why split it into two parts? :(
So they don't have to record next week's podcast, well, next week. They may as well record everything in one whack instead of recording twice in 3-4 days.

Excellent conversation on the merits of the VGAs in relation to how presentable they're meant to their predicted audience. Just yesterday I was listening to Gerstmann on Giant Bomb talk about how the VGAs were relevant for their purpose but weren't really carried out properly in the award sense, and hearing that clash with Garnett was quite entertaining.

Linkzg said:
Mafia 2 hate? Garnett and Jeff probably haven't played the first game. Then again they were calling foul to people against GTA4.

Mafia was a O_O when it first came out. My thoughts on GTA4 are very much ruined since I binged to get the famous "Key to the City" from Rockstar...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
Mafia 2 hate? Garnett and Jeff probably haven't played the first game. Then again they were calling foul to people against GTA4.

Mafia shits on GTA IV in terms of delivering on story and characters.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow, it's like...the polar opposite reactions on the trailers on the VGAs. Mafia 2 looked hot and Lost and the Damned looked like the same old stuff and they rip Mafia 2 for "more of the same"? =O

"Mafia dudes doing Mafia things...next."

Fuck them. *installs Mafia 1* :D

Akia

I listened to this without pause and my take away is that 1UP Yours+Giant Bomb crossovers need to happen more often. I also really enjoyed hearing from Christian and Patrick again.

Kintaro said:
Wow, it's like...the polar opposite reactions on the trailers on the VGAs. Mafia 2 looked hot and Lost and the Damned looked like the same old stuff and they rip Mafia 2 for "more of the same"? =O

"Mafia dudes doing Mafia things...next."

Fuck them. *installs Mafia 1* :D

Yea, did not like the quick glance over they gave Mafia 2. That one's on my radar, definitely.

Other than that great show, can't wait until the continuation next week.

voltron

HBP said:
So don't listen this week, then you have both next week! Problem solved.

Damn you! Now Im in a tight spot.

So is it just me, or does Jeff sound different through the 1up mics? I wasnt even sure who it was initially, and occasionally I thought it was someone else.

dexterslu

voltron said:
Damn you! Now Im in a tight spot.

So is it just me, or does Jeff sound different through the 1up mics? I wasnt even sure who it was initially, and occasionally I thought it was someone else.

You should check out some of the early podcast videos for Giant Bomb they have a pretty slick podcast set-up.

voltron

dexterslu said:
You should check out some of the early podcast videos for Giant Bomb they have a pretty slick podcast set-up.

Yeah maybe thats it. Must have teh uber gear over at Bomb HQ.

voltron

Speaking of which, where is the new LAN Party? If they keep missing weeks without even acknowledging it in blog entry then they will lose listeners fast.

Fair enough if they miss a week or two, but how hard is it to mention it in a blog?

dexterslu

voltron said:
Yeah maybe thats it. Must have teh uber gear over at Bomb HQ.
:lol - yeah I'm sure

for a second when they were talking about Tina drinking Moonshine I thought I heard Luke's voice I was like *head explode*

voltron said:
Speaking of which, where is the new LAN Party? If they keep missing weeks without even acknowledging it in blog entry then they will lose listeners fast.

Fair enough if they miss a week or two, but how hard is it to mention it in a blog?

It came out and even though it had Robert back, it was still pretty shitty. They need to restructure the entire podcast...

Maybe they should just ask US instead of winging it.

Akia said:
I listened to this without pause and my take away is that 1UP Yours+Giant Bomb crossovers need to happen more often. I also really enjoyed hearing from Christian and Patrick again.
You and me. We see eye to eye.

Puck

Banned
i think LAN party should just be a generic gaming podcast.
they do not know enough / talk enough about PC's in it, and when they do it seems too forced.
scott is the real hero in it, and he doesn't talk much.

Akia

I'm going to make a really bad analogy but to me 1UP Yours is like a TV series in its 3rd season on air. Some regulars have passed on, the audience has a firm grasp of the main characters and there's a very solid group of guest characters (nutt, mark, patrick, ngai, steven) to keep things from getting too predictable. 1UP Yours is at its best when it leverages the amount of history the audience has with the show, like when another layer is added to a long running joke or references are made to things even the main cast has long forgotten. This episode also reaffirms that the guests usually are really familiar with the way 1UP Yours works. Since there are only so many different ways the main cast can keep their interactions fresh, bringing guests almost always helps.

If it wasn't already obvious, the podcast gets way more interesting to listen to when guests are added to mix it up a bit. Case in point, the VGA discussion towards the end of this week's show. Most of us already knew what Ryan and Jeff thought about show because they've both already shared their opinions on the Bombcast already. But when they interact with John and Garnett -- conflicting opinions collide and hey as a result the audience tends to get some interest discussion to listen to.

I'm glad that Yours isn't afraid of bringing in groups of people from different shows (ex. The Bombcast and The Totally Rad Show). Most podcasts usually just have a 1 or 2 guests and as a result the episode usually tends to really familiar (think RE5). When you bring in different groups of people who already have chemistry amongst each other the fundamentals of the show you gets really nontraditional in an awesome kind of way. Of course every episode can't be like a totally rad crossover, poolside extravaganza. But if the style/format of future shows can be mixed up properly and I believe that the show could keep impressing for years to come.

In a nutshell: the fate of the show is in skip's hands.

voltron

What do you mean it came out? New LAN Party? Its not on iTunes.

You arent confusing last weeks with this weeks are you? That one went up on iTunes later than normal and also on the site.

edit, there is no new LAN Party out. That was last weeks.

Anyone else laugh at how Shane thought a $500 Steel Battalion was crazy but then told us we have to pay $460 to play LBP so we can "be good people again"?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Glad it's up but I'll wait until part 2 as 1 hour 24 is just not enough 1up yours goodness for me, something to look forward to next week anyway.

dexterslu

the socom discussion is pretty interesting but.. dude "Joe Consumer" doesn't realize this game is online ONLY . I can't tell you how many customers I've had come trade it in at my store because they didn't realize this before they opened it.

Igo

lowlylowlycook said:
Anyone else laugh at how Shane thought a $500 Steel Battalion was crazy but then told us we have to pay $460 to play LBP so we can "be good people again"?

No but I hope you don't take it personally if I laugh at you for that comment.

dexterslu

are you kidding me? dude the VGA part got me going, dude ryan served john up - I haven't heard anyone disagree with John in forever...

SickBoy

I'm with Shane on the LBP defense (although his rant when the first-month sales came out was a bit much). But it struck me as hypocritical that Shane would refer to Sony poaching LindenLabs staff as "exciting."

voltron

Does anyone else think its kinda stupid passing the mics around? Everyone should be online with the ability to comment whenever. Sure it would get chaotic, but thats the job of the host to keep things in check.

Am I the only person having trouble d/ling this? I'm doing it on my PS3 and it keeps showing up as corrupted data under Videos.

Help?

edit: nvm, got it working.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
dexterslu said:
are you kidding me? dude the VGA part got me going, dude ryan served john up - I haven't heard anyone disagree with John in forever...

hmmm...I paused halfway through. I believe I will start listening again, shortly.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
voltron said:
Does anyone else think its kinda stupid passing the mics around? Everyone should be online with the ability to comment whenever. Sure it would get chaotic, but thats the job of the host to keep things in check.

No. You are wrong.

Tieno

When The Gerstmann first came on I almost didn't even recognize his voice. He sounded very different from the bombcast. Deeper.

Also first time I heard Tina on a podcast and she's way too mubly and quiet. Which isn't ideal for a podcast.

LCfiner

Holy shit, a Rolando ad for the iPhone before 1up yours?

Damn.

looking forward to the show and the GB guys dropping in.

Top Bottom