• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP: 02/19/2010 with Mangod himself

ChryZ

Haven't listened to anything 1UP for ages, but will for David Jaffe, James Stevenson and Shane Bettenhausen.

I like david ellis for the most part, however his "im in the industrie" speil he tosses in there every now and then does my head in. David you review games my good chap me as a buyer and a sad gaffer and internet nerd is as much as in the indutrie as you are. Rant over good show jaffe should be on more podcasts alough it my dilute his aswomeness.:lol

Xater

David you are really expecting PSP2 and DS2 to be announced at E3? PSP2 seems more likely than DS2 to be honest. What would be Nintendos motivation? Don't they make a shit ton of money with the hardware right now?

Suzzopher

supermackem said:
I like david ellis for the most part, however his "im in the industrie" speil he tosses in there every now and then does my head in. David you review games my good chap me as a buyer and a sad gaffer and internet nerd is as much as in the indutrie as you are.

Oh God this. It winds me up no end. I know that my colleagues also get wound up by claiming he works in the games industry. Your industry is journalism mate. Leave the "I'm in the game industry" to those of us who actually make games. Imagine if Jeremy Clarkson said he worked in the car industry:lol I think this is why David is so hard to warm to as host.

Anyway rant over for me too. Good episode will listen again next week for John Ricciardi and Mark McDonald.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Suzzopher said:
Your industry is journalism mate. Leave the "I'm in the game industry" to those of us who actually make games. Imagine if Jeremy Clarkson said he worked in the car industry:lol I think this is why David is so hard to warm to as host.

Wow... That didn't come off as elitist at all. Which game company do you work for?

Great show David. Looking forward to next week.

Mafro

Suzzopher said:
Oh God this. It winds me up no end. I know that my colleagues also get wound up by claiming he works in the games industry. Your industry is journalism mate. Leave the "I'm in the game industry" to those of us who actually make games. Imagine if Jeremy Clarkson said he worked in the car industry:lol I think this is why David is so hard to warm to as host.

:|

snap0212

supermackem said:
I like david ellis for the most part, however his "im in the industrie" speil he tosses in there every now and then does my head in. David you review games my good chap me as a buyer and a sad gaffer and internet nerd is as much as in the indutrie as you are.

2ynp7yu.jpg

Will listen for Shane, of course! :)

Suzzopher

RiccochetJ said:
Wow... That didn't come off as elitist at all.

Wasn't meant to come off that way sorry :( It just winds up a lot of people I know as well as myself when journalists say they work in the industry, work with the industry sure but in it? Nope.

Kuroudu

sky said:
Any XIII spoilarz?

Nope, no spoilers at all, doesn't talk much about the game itself, more of Shane impressions of the Japanese version he played months ago and a little of Versus XIII.

Do any of you beautiful people have a podtrac link to this? Can't goto 1up at work.

(or just a direct link in general, i think)

tino

Banned
squicken said:
There was the one for the OG XBOX with Level 5 (I doubt they spent that much, but who knows), Marvel, and Halo. I could see the lat two costing that much, but the context Shane said it in, you gotta figure SE was involved with at least one of the games.

Obviously LA Noire. This game is going nowhere.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Shane's gone all corporate. No crazy opinions offered on Jersey Shore despite it being brought up! The podcast was easy listening, and Jaffe and his not-so-subtle hinting at making Twisted Metal is always enjoyable.

Jex

Empty said:
Oh wow, i had no idea. Still think it's a little excessive to block out fan feedback via messagboards etc, but i can understand being wary after that.

Yeah, I too can understand the concern but the way he was talking sounded very extreme, always discussing the worst-possible scenario. I mean, this whole generation lots of developers spend lots of time listening to feedback and you rarely hear about that being an issue. I guess thats just part of being wise in the buisness world though.

Suzzopher

I'll take my hat off to Ellis. He was actually really good this week and has grown as a host in opinion. Great episode. Some excellent points made. I can see this isn't a replacement to Yours now and is its own thing. I shall eat crow over now.

On the strength of this weeks show I downloaded last weeks too. And was very impressed.

border

Yeah, Shane was a bit dull.

But his defense of FFXIII was as hilarious as any other time he's been backed into being an apologist for some piece of half-baked mediocrity (see also: Sony's HOME). In one year and change we've gone from "This is the game that will show developers how to make a next generation JRPG" to "Teenage girls will love it." He never uses the phrase exactly but it smacks of the "This isn't for YOU" defense.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Die Squirrel Die said:
Is this not coming up on iTunes for anyone else? UK store here.

We're having an as yet determined glitch with the podcast feed. You can still download it through iTunes, you just have to download it from the 4 Guys page there. Sorry about that, but we are working on fixing it.

see5harp

supermackem said:
I like david ellis for the most part, however his "im in the industrie" speil he tosses in there every now and then does my head in. David you review games my good chap me as a buyer and a sad gaffer and internet nerd is as much as in the indutrie as you are. Rant over good show jaffe should be on more podcasts alough it my dilute his aswomeness.:lol

But you aren't at DICE now are you?

deadnoob

PasteyMF said:
My first time downloading in a year and a half. In Shane we trust.

I thought I would listen after garnett left but it just wasn't the same. The bombcast has filled the void though.

Nfinit

The 1up Podcast has become so desperate for people to appear that it's become a free PR vehicle for any dev willing to put up with showing up.

If I wanted to waste my valuable free time listening to industry shills I'd subscribe to Major Nelson and at least hear about what's coming up on Live Arcade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nfinit said:
The 1up Podcast has become so desperate for people to appear that it's become a free PR vehicle for any dev willing to put up with showing up.

If I wanted to waste my valuable free time listening to industry shills I'd subscribe to Major Nelson and at least hear about what's coming up on Live Arcade.

I don't know how this was any different when the show was called 1up Yours.

Although I must say, Shawn Elliot calling Mitch Gittleman out over Shadowrun being the first FPS to do everything ever was probably the highlight of the 1up podcast run. At least Ellis sort of questioned the logic behind releasing Deadly Premonition for 20 bucks.

Ondore

I was able to grab it off iTunes by doing a hard refresh of the feed (Shift+click the arrow in Windows, dunno about Mac).

And I can't see Nintendo going digital this time around. Maybe on their next 3rd pillar...

border

ViperVisor said:
It's 2005 up in this bitch.

It's 2010 up in this bitch and motion controls still don't seem all that well implemented -- partcularly outside of minigame collections.

Infinity

I don't think Nintendo will go digital-only for their next iteration.

So there you have it: I've disagreed with MANGOD!

border said:
It's 2010 up in this bitch and motion controls still don't seem all that well implemented -- partcularly outside of minigame collections.

"well implemented" has nothing to do with it being the next big thing. Which it became 4 years ago. And MS and Sony are doing it significantly this year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Listened to it last night, was entertaining enough.
Shoulda reigned in the lawsuit talk earlier though.. it just sorta went on and on.

Great guests though, lots of interesting discussion. Shoulda been longer!

border

ViperVisor said:
"well implemented" has nothing to do with it being the next big thing.
I'd argue that frequency and quality of implementation does have something to do with it, as does influence on the 3rd party development community.....unless you think "next big thing" is meant only to reflect on sales.

dLMN8R

lybertyboy said:
We're having an as yet determined glitch with the podcast feed. You can still download it through iTunes, you just have to download it from the 4 Guys page there. Sorry about that, but we are working on fixing it.
It looks like it might be because the new 2/19 episode replaced the 2/12 episode on the podcast page. So people who have subscribed for a while already have the 2/12 episode, so iTunes doesn't recognize the replacement on the feed as the 2/19 episode.

Look at the podcast page and you'll see it jumps right from 2/5 to 2/19.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
dLMN8R said:
It looks like it might be because the new 2/19 episode replaced the 2/12 episode on the podcast page. So people who have subscribed for a while already have the 2/12 episode, so iTunes doesn't recognize the replacement on the feed as the 2/19 episode.

Look at the podcast page and you'll see it jumps right from 2/5 to 2/19.

Yeah, I had noticed that as well. I still haven't heard back from the folks that take care of the feed, but since it's the weekend it might not be fixed until Monday.

Suzzopher said:
I'll take my hat off to Ellis. He was actually really good this week and has grown as a host in opinion. Great episode. Some excellent points made. I can see this isn't a replacement to Yours now and is its own thing. I shall eat crow over now.

On the strength of this weeks show I downloaded last weeks too. And was very impressed.

David's getting better as the host, but I kind of get a little irritated when he says he's never played God of War, didn't own a PS2, hasn't played Uncharted 2, and gets the name wrong on the new Sony motion controller. I'm probably coming off as a dick, but sometimes he seems like he's winging it. I think the host of a gaming website's central podcast should be a bit more informed. Again, I'm probably coming off as a snob, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Top Bottom