• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 Guys 1UP: 03/19/2010

Lunchbox

Banned
:lol @ the backlash

me and 2 others called it while you kids were jumping up and down

up to Garnett to save us next week

tino

Banned
templeusox said:
fucking yawnfest.

edit: the interview with stig and cage was fine. the rest confirmed I won't be listening anymore.

The interview was indeed fine (the GOW guy sound exactky like Garnett.) It was fine because it was done by the David Ellis.

see5harp

Tobor said:
Well, it sounds like I jumped the gun anyway. Oh well.

Yea I listened to the show and I guess I'm an elitist dudebro cause gow3 sounds more appealing to me than a new pokemon game.

Tobor

I meant that Parish probably isnt hosting every week. I haven't listened yet.

Nothing wrong with dudebros, but nobody out-dudebros Garnett, so it's better to at least try something else, know what I mean?

see5harp

The interview is the best part of the entire episode. David Ellis and Garnett weren't entirely great on the first time out, so I wouldn't be so quick to write him off yet. I'm definitely looking forward to Garnett's show though.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I listened, and I did enjoy the interview, but the rest of the podcast was kind of lacking energy. And I don't mean that as some criticism of the participants' natural energy levels or something. It just felt so quiet. Much, much quieter than ATB or Retronauts. Sharkey has got to be on this show if Parish will host because Sharkey and Parish are like perfect foils.

Stig's awesome. Motion controls are for babby. And I agree with Stig because it looks like it would be possible for him to actually rip my head off in real life.

GhaleonQ

I haven't listened yet, but people should give the At 1-Up people the benefit of the doubt if they don't listen. Jade, especially, is fantastic.

witness

Officially done with 1up podcasts, I was done with their website months ago as well. Too bad really, use to love that place and every podcast they did.

Freakin awesome that Garnett got the show together starting next week, and eff yeah it'll come out at a consistent time!

Jex

Well this is some triple-dipping on Parish for me.(Retronauts, ATB and this show all in one week? Maddness) And I love it. Then again I've always enjoyed what Parish has to say, it's just weird for him to be talking about like, new games. I'm enjoying the whole cast actually, have to see what they do with it.

Yikes. Not very good. Especially when it opens up with God of War 3 discussion that Jeremy has zero interest in and makes it painfully clear he doesn't. His questioning about the series just came off as almost sarcastic or cynical. I guess for me, the old crew of Garnett, Shane, John, Mark and even David came across more as a group of friends getting together discussing games. They aren't always going to be right about everything, or even have their facts straight, but at least its entertaining. Listening to, say Jeremy and/or Sharkey makes me feel like im stuck at a Gamestop hearing having to listen to those one or two guys that hang out by the register all day with nothing else to do other than comment on what game you are buying, or tell you how the japanese version is so much better.

Tobor

Finally got a chance to listen. It's awkward, but it's early. Once they overhaul the format and get comfortable, I'm sure it will be great.

I hope Jeremy takes the job. Like I said above, we need a different perspective, not another Garnett/Bombcast wannabe.

Jex

Ninja Scooter said:
Yikes. Not very good. Especially when it opens up with God of War 3 discussion that Jeremy has zero interest in and makes it painfully clear he doesn't. His questioning about the series just came off as almost sarcastic or cynical.

Yeah it sounds like you are adding an unfavourable spin to Jeremy's questions. His first question may be a little much, but it's no more extreme then the kind of thing that has been said on previous episodes of the show. Sure, he has 'painfully' little interest in the game but not everyone has to like every game. He asks from the perspective he naturally has as opposed to feigning neutrality. He certainly allows for other people to say why they like it and it overall fairly even-handed.

On the general lack of energy this episode I can only guess that it's a bit odd for these people to all get together and podcast together. Not to mention they just saw another person leave their company. Hopefully they will work something out over time.

Ninja Scooter said:
Listening to, say Jeremy and/or Sharkey makes me feel like im stuck at a Gamestop hearing [..] or tell you how the japanese version is so much better.

What? Parish certainly seemed to enjoy and champion Mass Effect 2 as much as FFXIII. Sharkey certainly seems to have an interest in any kind of independnt or web based game so I don't think you can claim any kind of pro-japan obsession from that.

I really enjoyed Ellis' final episode; it was nice to have the old crew back together, again, and sad as well. Always great conversations, and they never take themselves too seriously. I enjoy Parish in ATB, but one of his first remarks on the new 4 Guys really rubbed me the wrong way. It was this subtle diss at the past lineup for the show and it was just poor form. Don't think I'll be sticking with it. ATB will be the extent of 1up for me these days.

witness said:
Officially done with 1up podcasts, I was done with their website months ago as well. Too bad really, use to love that place and every podcast they did.

Freakin awesome that Garnett got the show together starting next week, and eff yeah it'll come out at a consistent time!

Maybe I heard wrong, but what was that about? Does he have a new show starting up?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw it in this thread! Didn't realize it was actually called WEEKEND CONFIRMED

Suzzopher

I enjoyed having my weekend confirmed by Parish. I think he needs Chris Kohler on as a regular as well as Matt. Rotating fourth chair?

The Sony hate is strong with T-Frog now :(

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Tobor said:
I hope Jeremy takes the job. Like I said above, we need a different perspective, not another Garnett/Bombcast wannabe.

Who are you referring to when you say that? I hope not David Ellis becuase he took 4guys1up in a completely new direction compared to the old 1up, Ellis definitely put his own stamp on the show.

Tobor

lowrider007 said:
Who are you referring to when you say that? I hope not David Ellis becuase he took 4guys1up in a completely new direction compared to the old 1up, Ellis definitely put his own stamp on the show.

No one in particular, just what the expectations seem to be. That said, let's be real, David didn't do anything particularly new or risky. He was steering the boat in the same general direction.

Y2Kev

Tobor said:
No one in particular, just what the expectations seem to be. That said, let's be real, David didn't do anything particularly new or risky. He was steering the boat in the same general direction.
He tried--his first episode with Tim Schafer was really different. But it didn't really last.

Suzzopher

Tobor said:

When? His show had industry guests and more game industry talk. 1upYours was always about four guys getting into heated debates with some hilarious arguments and discussions. Big Fun's was so far removed from that.

Zeliard

Suzzopher said:
I'd say its appeal is certainly more immediate.

I've yet to see the appeal of FFXIII, frankly. I have to actually force myself to play through that game. That's a first for me for a Final Fantasy game (and most RPGs in general), and I've played and beaten every single one in the main series outside of XI (which I never played).

Both FFXIII and God of War 3 put focus on visuals and combat, but I find that GoW3 is a lot more entertaining to actually play. And yes, it's also far better-paced.

I'll continue to slog through FFXIII, mostly to see and experience Gran Pulse. Along with Spore, it's the most disappointing game I've played since Quake 2. And I hate that fact.

Sulaco

I liked it - I respect Parish and Leone's opinions. It needs a bit of energy in the news department though. Could really do with a John Davison / Klepek type personality for that section.

Truespeed

This was painful to listen to - with the exception of the excellent GDC interviews with David Cage and Stig Rasmussen. Parish is out of his element discussing anything that requires you to kill something. I kept wanting to homerow him every time he asked Matt to explain God of War to him. He's much better as as contributor than a host of their flagship podcast.

Well, that was a bit of a car crash. :/

Jeremy's fine. He might not be the most suitable to talk about grrr... big manly blockbusters (and he recognizes that), but he's honest, knows what he's talking about (when he says he does), and most importantly is a good host. The problem was he had to spend the entire show trying desperately to drum up any conversation whatsoever from the rest of them. It was like pulling teeth.
- I really don't understand the appeal of GoW. What do you like so much about it?
- It's alright.
- Em, it is getting a lot of praise, there must be some reason why people like it so much beyond the teenage fantasy.
- It's pretty I guess.
- Err.. anything else to add, we really haven't talked about it enough.
- Eh, well I don't know why everyone calls me the God of War guy...

Jesus F Christ! I feel like I could say a lot more about the bloody game, and I haven't even played it. The rest of them weren't much better, speak up Mike Nelson! And after introducing herself Jade literally spoke twice.

Hopefully, it's better next week when they know what they're doing (and have a different crew).

The interview was great though, as is inveitable when you have two interesting developers talking.

strem

I don't know guys I just can't bear listening to Jeremy. I think about all the talent 1up has squandered in the past and he can't hold a candle to any of those guys. Totally my opinion take no offense

Tobor

Rustymonke said:

Jeremy's fine. He might not be the suitable to talk about grrr... big manly blockbusters, but he's honest, knows what he's talking about (when he says he does), and most importantly is a fantastic host. The problem was he had to spend the entire show trying desperately to drum up any conversation whatsoever from the rest of them. It was like pulling teeth.
- I really don't understand the appeal of GoW. What do you like so much about it?
- It's alright.
- Em, it is getting a lot of praise, there must be some reason why people like it so much beyond the teenage fantasy.
- It's pretty I guess.

Jesus F Christ! I feel like I could say a lot more about the bloody game, and I haven't even played it. The rest of them weren't much better, speak up Mike Nelson! And after introducing herself Jade literally spoke twice.

Hopefully, it's better next week when they know what they're doing (and have a different crew).

The interview was great though, as is inveitable when you have two interesting developers talking.

You nailed it. He was trying to draw out some debate, and it just wasn't happening.

At this point, they might need to look outside of 1UP for permanent co-hosts. The cupboard is looking bare.

Flavius

Mafro said:
Seems Parish isn't dudebro enough for some of you :|

Jeremy's awesome.

However, I'd agree with those who suggest he needs the right supporting cast if it's going to be an ensemble effort discussing games that may be outside his preferences.

V_Ben

Banned
well, i'm 20 minutes in, and i'm liking it. but my problem with it is that there's kind of... not enough sarkiness to the discussion. I like podcasts where the hosts respect each others opinions, but i also enjoy a good argument :lol

but its still a good podcast, and the cast itself is pretty good :)

Y2Kev

Hire Andrew Fitch back. I want Parish, Sharkey, and Fitch. NERDCAST 10 make it happen

Mrbob

Rustymonke said:

Jeremy's fine. He might not be the most suitable to talk about grrr... big manly blockbusters (and he recognizes that), but he's honest, knows what he's talking about (when he says he does), and most importantly is a good host. The problem was he had to spend the entire show trying desperately to drum up any conversation whatsoever from the rest of them. It was like pulling teeth.
- It's alright.
- It's pretty I guess.

Yeah it is their first go, but outside of the interview the podcast was pretty worthless. If you are going to bring up games but not have a conversation about them at all why bother. Don't be afraid to share an opinion.

tino

Banned
They need to get a out of left field person to host the show. Ryan Scott never spoke a word in Brodio but he turn out to be an awesome host after 1up broke up. And his show is the only one I listen to every week out of all the former gfw guys (you couldn't pay me enough to listen to "out of the game" podcast.)

In other words, get somebody who barely speaks like Matt Leone, or Jade Kraus to host the show.

Shadow780

I agree, I want Parish just to focus on ATB and Retro podcasts, he's fantastic talking about RPGs and obscure games in the past. It's obvious to me he enjoyed them more. Let him be the niche guy.

Someone else should takes over the general gaming podcast.

EXGN

I like Parish, but those first 20 minutes were brutal.

"I really hate God of War."
"That's cool, you're entitled to your own opinion."
"No, but I REALLY HATE."
"Yeah, I could see that, that's cool."

Like pulling teeth.

Top Bottom